• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpwerx

Pctx said:
^ Probably not the best idea to detail fraud on an online forum.
Meh, let 'em come get me.

On the topic of the day, I think there might be a word-of-mouth campaign started for this phone before it's officially released. Read into that whatever you will, and take it with a grain of salt. But I had an interesting phone call just now that I hope explodes with passion soon. ;) PEACE.

pxleyes

Banned
nexus_11.jpg

Love how the animated grid is forever present. Makes me think every layer of the phone is skinnable now by the end user.

Also like the swoop style for the vertical orientation of the car mode.

womp

pxleyes said:
Love how the animated grid is forever present. Makes me think every layer of the phone is skinnable now by the end user.

Also like the swoop style for the vertical orientation of the car mode.

It's like that on the Droid as well.

Actually that entire screen shot could have been easily taken from the Droid, background and all. ;)

The only thing that excites me about this is getting 2.1 onto my Droid in the future.

Pimpwerx said:
Meh, let 'em come get me.

On the topic of the day, I think there might be a word-of-mouth campaign started for this phone before it's officially released. Read into that whatever you will, and take it with a grain of salt. But I had an interesting phone call just now that I hope explodes with passion soon. ;) PEACE.

Uh, what do you call the 2-3 days of mass hysteria, Twitter chatter and backroom whispering that have already transpired? The word-of-mouth campaign is already underway. :)

Pimpwerx said:
T-Mo has the worst coverage of all the carriers. Be very prepared for disappointment, as you might not get much use of that 3G due to coverage. I love TMo's customer service and rates, but their coverage is shit. I went from AT&T to T-Mo and ended up switching a month and a half later to Sprint (who has equally awesome rates, some of the best coverage, but questionable service). The only good thing about their coverage being so bad is that it was easy for me to cancel without early-termination fees. I just told them I was moving to some place in South Dakota, printed a fake proof of employment letter and they let me off the hook. Make sure T-Mo has the coverage where you're at, or you might be stuck with a 2yr contract for fast 3G you can never receive. PEACE.

I had TMo before I switched to AT&T for the iPhone, and I never had problems on T-Mobile, at least in Chicago. AT&T has been terrible but I have been relatively happy with the iPhone. I'm out of contract now, but I am waiting for a really must have phone before I finally switch carriers. If Nexus/Google Phone is sold at a reasonable price unsubsidized, I'll happily pick one up.

Ephemeris

tokkun said:
If memory serves, the previous Google phone (Google Ion / T-Mobile MyTouch 3G) sold for $199 on contract, $399 off.

Yeah, figured as much. I've been with T-Mo for years and don't see myself moving for the foreseeable future, but I rather dislike 2 year contracts.:lol

SimleuqiR

FRANKFURT/SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Google Inc will sell a version of its own-branded cellphone for a reduced price to U.S. consumers who agree to a service contract from Deutsche Telekom's T-Mobile USA, a source familiar with the matter said.

Seemingly, Google will offer the touchscreen phone, which is based on its Android operating system software, in two configurations: an unlocked version, and a version that comes bundled with a T-Mobile service contract and a price tag that the carrier subsidizes.

"In the long term Google will become a seller and get commission from operators," the source said, adding that other operators are expected to follow T-Mobile's lead eventually and agree to Google's terms.

It was not clear what the pricing will be for the phone.

This will most likely be my next phone. My contract expired last week. :D

We were looking through our comments from another post and found that the always-fun Charbax dropped by with some information regarding price. We’re not sure were he heard it or how he knows, but here’s what he says…

Here’s the price: $199 unlocked in stores. $100 rebate online if you have an active and old Google account. That $100 rebate is either to buy it $99 online from Google’s online phone store, for using on Android Marketplace or for using on any Google Checkout stores. Can also be used for T-Mobile or AT&T pre-paid Data SIM card service at $29 per month, no contracts required.

Google will push full VOIP usage on these, meaning no voice/sms plans needed at any carrier. Voice calls will go through Google Voice on Data SIM cards and will provide unlimited free voice calling. And SMS is replaced by unlimited free Gtalk.

Finally, Google will provide easy roaming data services in other countries. For example, if you go to Europe, you can roam on HSDPA data networks for the same price of 20€ per month, and if you only stay in Europe for a few days you won’t need to pay for the whole month. You may not even need to change the SIM card.

Wonder if we can finally port over our regular numbers to Google Voice??? **crosses fingers**

gimmmick

I'm wondering if already tmobile / google users will be able to get the 99 dollar rebate if we buy it off contract? I have no problem laying down 400 on this phone., though if it can save me money, why not? (I don't want to be stuck on another contract, hence I'm on the 80 dollar unlimited everything plan instead of the 100 even more plus).

Hrmm... I expect VoIP to be the standard in a few years, but are the network really prepared for a "big push?" I've tried doing it with Fring/Gizmo5 on T-Mobile's network and the results were not too good.

I like the implication that they will tie in Google Voice SMS with Chat, though. I really dislike having different messaging services.

omg, selling for 200 bucks unlocked from google themselves? so I will be able to get this to use in Canada pretty much day one, thats awesome.

any release date information yet?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Okay I read this over a few times and I'm still like WTF confused by the pricing and VOIP stuff. So you buy the phone for $199 and you can get a $100 rebate for what?

Then it uses VOIP for calls? How does it do that? Over who's network? I'm confused as fuck on this part.

If I'm riding with a buddy in the car to meet some other friends and we are running late he tells me to call them to let them know. So I pull out my google phone and it uses VOIP in the car to call my friend's number I have said in my address book? How da fuck does this work, and what would I be paying for per month after I plop down my $199 while I wait for my rebate I hope I'd qualify for?

Sorry I feel sooo stupid right now! :lol :D

Wow, that price for an UNLOCKED phone? I'm on T-Mobile right now (basic voice) and if this is true, I am buying two of these babies and switching to an Even More Plus plan asap.

Ephemeris

I don't want to raise my expectations but man. Such an attractive price-point. Would purchase in a heartbeat.:lol

No really Google. You can take my money right now.

...seriously. Presser followed by pre-order page tomorrow, okay?

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Sounds to be good to be true but I am wondering how good the voip implementation will be. Seems like it would be a total game changer if it all works out. Hopefully we get a release date soon.

SimleuqiR

duderon said:
This will either be awesome, or a huge letdown. Roll-on tomorrow!

Yup! All I'm expecting is a $199.99 value with T-mobile contract and without the uber Google Voice/VOIP integration. I don't want to be let down. :lol Setting my expectations to "normal".

Ephemeris

SimleuqiR said:
Yup! All I'm expecting is a $199.99 value with T-mobile contract and without the uber Google Voice/VOIP integration. I don't want to be let down. :lol Setting my expectations to "normal".

I feel you on that one. I was super hyped for "Project Dark" and that turned out to be the anti-megaton for me.

Vanillalite

SSGMUN10000 said:
Sounds to be good to be true but I am wondering how good the voip implementation will be. Seems like it would be a total game changer if it all works out. Hopefully we get a release date soon.

Hell I still don't even get how that's even gonna take place and what kind of plan I'd have to have.

I must admit it all sounds wayyyyy to good to be true and totally game changing. I could just be totally misreading it all though since the details aren't very clear to me in my mind. :lol

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Here’s the price: $199 unlocked in stores. $100 rebate online if you have an active and old Google account. That $100 rebate is either to buy it $99 online from Google’s online phone store, for using on Android Marketplace or for using on any Google Checkout stores.
Wait, what the fuck? 199$ for an unlocked superphone plus a 100 dollars to spend at google? o_O

I call BS.

SimleuqiR

Jtwo said:
Wait, what the fuck? 199$ for an unlocked superphone plus a 100 dollars to spend at google? o_O

I call BS.

You should take anything posted in comments on these blogs with a grain of salt. Obviously this guy "might" have some insider info. But again I wouldn't hold my breath.

Pctx said:
Yes... Android 2.1 gets animated backgrounds. :D

Just like your cute icon :D

2rm6xrk.gif

I love this actress in Mad Men too.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
If that pricing info is accurate there's a catch.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Jtwo said:
If that pricing info is accurate there's a catch.
You sell your soul to google. That's why they give you a rebate if you already did.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm so if this thing is out January, I wonder how after that it will take 2.1 to land on the Droid.

Vanillalite

It better not be epic fail with no news tomorrow. Hell I'd take bad to meh news over no news especially since I think with all the crazy rumors hype and megaton expectations would shoot through the roof if we didn't get an announcement till after the holidays. :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
I wonder if this will be the next big new ATT phone to push since the iPhone may lose exclusivity and go to Verizon.

But how will this squre with the ATT statement that we are using too much data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom