• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
New Droid user here, looking for some help:

I installed launcherpro, as well as a few other tweaks I've found here. Problem is somewhere in my tweaking, I set it up so my phone no longer vibrated or flashes the notification light to let me know about texts. Any idea what I did? I've gone through the settings I could find, and had no luck.

Any other tweaks I may want to try or apps not mentioned in the last 10 or so pages? There's so much to read through.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
CrayzeeCarl said:
I don't really see the point in waiting then. I say root now and enjoy the options out there now. When 2.2 comes, if you want to go stock, you can. You will lose root at that point and will have to wait for 2.2 to be rooted if you want to root again later, but you won't lose out on anything. Or you can decide to stay rooted and wait for a root-enabled 2.2. In my experience, newer versions tend to have a root-enabled version out fairly soon after official release. Actually, my Eris has been on 2.1 since WAY before it was officially released.

I recommend Titanium Backup paid version if you decide to root though. One-click backup and restore of all apps and settings is a massive time saver and gives you peace of mind.

I failed in my attempt to root my phone. I'm not going to put further effort into it. 2.2 might make it easier as you said.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Any chance we'll get a kickass facebook app on Android to match the iPhone version? My wife is open to moving away from the iPhone, but her most used app, by far, is the facebook app, and the iPhone version is light years ahead of the android version, so I feel hesitant to recommend the Captivate, which would release later this month.

Zozz

Banned
I don't think we'll get anything soon. Facebook app is horrible to use I just don't understand how they leave it being the shit it is.

giga

Facebook for iPhone isn't spectacular either and it seems like the company just doesn't put much effort into the mobile sphere because they don't get much revenue from it.

I wouldn't expect much unless they implement ads.

pxleyes

Banned
VanMardigan said:
Any chance we'll get a kickass facebook app on Android to match the iPhone version? My wife is open to moving away from the iPhone, but her most used app, by far, is the facebook app, and the iPhone version is light years ahead of the android version, so I feel hesitant to recommend the Captivate, which would release later this month.
touch.facebook.com

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
giga said:
Facebook for iPhone isn't spectacular either

It is when you compare it to the Android version. And while the touch site is good, a dedicated app would provide a better experience (UI and widget-wise).

Epix

Most Android apps are lagging behind their AppStore counterparts right now but that's only temporary. With 160k+ activations a day and growing, it's inevitably going to pass iOS and will become the primary development OS. Just hang in there.

VanMardigan said:
It is when you compare it to the Android version. And while the touch site is good, a dedicated app would provide a better experience (UI and widget-wise).

It'll never come, Facebook has some sort of grudge against Android platform.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Petrie said:
New Droid user here, looking for some help:

I installed launcherpro, as well as a few other tweaks I've found here. Problem is somewhere in my tweaking, I set it up so my phone no longer vibrated or flashes the notification light to let me know about texts. Any idea what I did? I've gone through the settings I could find, and had no luck.

Any other tweaks I may want to try or apps not mentioned in the last 10 or so pages? There's so much to read through.

I'm having kind of a similar issue. Now that I've installed Launcherpro, my LED notification is a constant light instead of a flashing one. Using handcent. No problems with vibration as far as I know.

Jayge

VanMardigan said:
Yep. I find myself having to use a combination of the touch, mobile and full sites on my phone to get things done, see notes, comment on pictures, etc. Although FB for iPhone is no walk in the park either. I end up using the web apps on my sister's touch too.

Suite Pee said:
I'm having kind of a similar issue. Now that I've installed Launcherpro, my LED notification is a constant light instead of a flashing one. Using handcent. No problems with vibration as far as I know.

Try ChompSMS instead of Handcent and see if that fixes it. (God I'm a whore.)

The touch website is good for pretty much everything except pictures and widget, where the app comes in. Plus the contact syncing is nice.

I don't think its a big deal, everything sucks except the fb website. One dedicated dude made the iphone fb app and then walked away, we'll never have one like it. The bb one sucks, the webos one is ok, the windows phone one is garbage and I'm not sure if there's a s60 one, but if there is I'm confident it sucks too. That's a fb thing.

Any good Battle for Wesnoth kind of game? It bugs me that they still haven't port the thing to Android :(

Edit: btw, that secondapp thing...wow!

alternade said:
Nexus one. I'm thinking I should try a full wipe?

If you've rooted your nexus one, and you installed the rom via a custom recovery using an update zip you'll tend to find a full wipe is normally required before installing any new rom. Some dev's will create rom's that they will say don't require them, but if you have any issues at all you should wipe. Just make sure to do a nandroid backup beforehand in case you run into any issues. Froyo has been brilliant for me and is ultra stable so the problem doesn't lie with this android build, more likely an install issue. I've ran all the early Froyo test builds via XDA without problem, certainly fixed the issues from the rather rushed 2.1 releases on the Nexus One.

jonnybryce said:
The touch website is good for pretty much everything except pictures and widget, where the app comes in. Plus the contact syncing is nice.

I don't think its a big deal, everything sucks except the fb website. One dedicated dude made the iphone fb app and then walked away, we'll never have one like it. The bb one sucks, the webos one is ok, the windows phone one is garbage and I'm not sure if there's a s60 one, but if there is I'm confident it sucks too. That's a fb thing.

Yeah it's appallingly bad. Still annoyed that I can't tag photos from my phone and have to do it from my laptop. It often kicks you out to the mobile site. There are no notification options for wall posts, when we should have push notifications as standard. Sometimes pictures don't upload on the first attempt, some apps that use Facebook sharing don't always hook in correctly (I'm more inclined to see this as a Facebook thing, rather than the apps themselves). Sometimes it will refuse to load your profile for no reason. Next to the Twitter app it's junk. They are incredibly slow to update too. Someone seriously needs to knock some heads together. If one guy in his spare time can update Launcher Pro twice a week, why can't a team of software writers update the Android app even a quarter as often???? It's this kind of lack of urgency to fix issues raised by consumer feedback that causes companies to lose their foothold as market leader. See Microsoft, Sony etc etc. Get your finger out!!

OriginalThinking said:
Someone seriously needs to knock some heads together. If one guy in his spare time can update Launcher Pro twice a week, why can't a team of software writers update the Android app even a quarter as often???

Yeah, it's as simple as them not caring. I don't find myself caring either, I think it sucks, but it gets the job done and if it does something that's annoying I just switch over to the touch site. Hopefully when Gingerbread rolls out with the new UI and apps start updating to refresh to the Gingerbread UI standards, FB will make some changes.

is the Touch.facebook.com site the same as the facebook app on evo? i just checked and it looks the same.

it's so ugly to navigate :lol.

Nexus One user here. Thinking of giving Launcher Pro a go.

I downloaded the app and got an update, but I didn't launch it straight away and now I can't figure out how. I can't find any way to access Launcher Pro. Any ideas for this noob?

Also, any general recommendations on using Launcher Pro?

Angst

Mercury Fred said:
Nexus One user here. Thinking of giving Launcher Pro a go.

I downloaded the app and got an update, but I didn't launch it straight away and now I can't figure out how. I can't find any way to access Launcher Pro. Any ideas for this noob?

Also, any general recommendations on using Launcher Pro?
Go to Settings - Applications - Manage Applications. Find your current launcher in the list (I have a Hero so I'm unsure of the default launcher for Nexus - Launcher?), clear defaults for your current launcher. Press the Home button and you'll get a choice of which launcher to start. Tick off "use by default" to make the choice stick.

If you want to go back to the default, either uninstall launcherpro or do the same procedure as above to get the choice again.

Angst said:
Go to Settings - Applications - Manage Applications. Find your current launcher in the list (I have a Hero so I'm unsure of the default launcher for Nexus - Launcher?), clear defaults for your current launcher. Press the Home button and you'll get a choice of which launcher to start. Tick off "use by default" to make the choice stick.

If you want to go back to the default, either uninstall launcherpro or do the same procedure as above to get the choice again.
Thanks very much!

bathala

Banned
went to VZW store to check out if they have DX demo, and didn't have one.

since I was there, I thought might as well check out Incredible.

this is my 1st time I get to play with an android phone coming from iPhone. One word, impressed. I downloaded Skyfire to check out anime streaming vids, and I was able to watch an episode. Can't wait to get an android phone

Is there a better messenger app out there? I just got my Eris replaced with an LG Ally and while the phone itself isn't anything amazing like an EVO or Incred. I'm loving it! My only issue is the messenger app freezes a lot, curious if I should do a software reset on the phone, get it replaced or try another app?

I'm curious about the third option because all of LGs other apps are terrible while I never had issues with the HTCs.

Square Triangle said:
Is there a better messenger app out there? I just got my Eris replaced with an LG Ally and while the phone itself isn't anything amazing like an EVO or Incred. I'm loving it! My only issue is the messenger app freezes a lot, curious if I should do a software reset on the phone, get it replaced or try another app?

I'm curious about the third option because all of LGs other apps are terrible while I never had issues with the HTCs.

I hear Handcent is pretty good.

Zozz

Banned
So I installed iOS 4 on my old 3G last week and I decided to look at some apps on the store and I'm extremely jealous at a selection of apps based on their UI and aesthetics comparison. I'm trying to put my workout logs on my Incredible and all the apps on the market are so god damn raggedy. I tried to find the same on the App store and I saw some high quality stuff for cheaper prices. This is the first time I've felt kind of crapped out about having an Android phone.

I just don't think developers can get their act together in building nice UI to their apps any time soon, if Google doesn't set some of their priorities straight and provide some clear examples. Sure, the rumors are they're revamping Android for Gingerbread but the meat of these platforms has always been the Apps for me. I love Android but there is so much more left to be desired from it. While I might think there are some great aspects to Android better than then the iOS. I have to hand it to Apple, their stuff is far much more balanced even if it is lacking. I might honestly consider getting an iPhone if those rumors for it coming to Verizon in January are true and wait for the Android platform and its developers to mature more.

/depressing rant.

punkypine

i needed to get a phone off contract and just ordered a droid off of ebay for a pretty good price. i'll get a more up to date phone next year when my contract is up, but for right now... i'm ready to embrace the world of android!

is the OP reasonably updated as a good place to start?

Jayge

Square Triangle said:

ChompSMS! ChompSMS! ChompSMS!

punkypine said:
i needed to get a phone off contract and just ordered a droid off of ebay for a pretty good price. i'll get a more up to date phone next year when my contract is up, but for right now... i'm ready to embrace the world of android!

is the OP reasonably updated as a good place to start?
It isn't bad. It's got most of the mainstream, most-oft recommended programs. It doesn't encompass a full list of apps anyone would need to really get down and dirty and drag the best functionality out of their phones but definitely a good place to start.

Google's UI and graphical examples on the SDK reference site are good enough, people just throw together bad designs -- raggedy apps are just a facet of a self regulating market with no approval necessary really.

The likes of RunStar, Twitter, the Slide Screen home replacement -- these have nice UIs, its not hard or impossible, android devs aren't always applying the proper spit and polish

Gabyskra

Banned
It's moving in the right direction really... Handcent can look amazing (much better than SMS on an iphone, and really, how important is messaging? crucial)... I also use Qype and I really like it... Add Engadget which does a fine job...

Launcher Pro + SyncMyPix + Twitter and Facebook integration + superior GMail + Wireless Tethering + how customizable everything is... I just couldn't go any other way than Android right now.

zoku88

Quick question: my phone does the display timeout thing when it's on power. Is there a way to make it do that only when it's on battery (2.2, btw)

zoku88 said:
Quick question: my phone does the display timeout thing when it's on power. Is there a way to make it do that only when it's on battery (2.2, btw)

Its under Settings > Applications > Development on 2.1
"Stay Awake"

OK, Launcher Pro is amazing. It's shockingly even faster and smoother than the Froyo stock launcher. And I love the five icons at the dock along with notifications. <3

Gabyskra

Banned
Mercury Fred said:
OK, Launcher Pro is amazing. It's shockingly even faster and smoother than the Froyo stock launcher. And I love the five icons at the dock along with notifications. <3

You can have 15 icons at the dock (2 extra sets of 5 icons can appear by swiping and setting them up)... It's amazing. Look it up.

Jayge

Gabyskra said:
You can have 15 icons at the dock (2 extra sets of 5 icons can appear by swiping and setting them up)... It's amazing. Look it up.
Yep. I've got 5 quick-contacts and 5 oft-used apps on my auxiliary docks.

Linkhero1

After updating to Froyo I found my phone locking up a lot more. It locked up today and wouldn't power on at all and I had to remove the battery and put it back in in order to power it on. (nexus one user)

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Mercury Fred said:

Killer for me is that presumably Launcher Pro isn't compatible with HTC widgets. :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Linkhero1 said:
After updating to Froyo I found my phone locking up a lot more. It locked up today and wouldn't power on at all and I had to remove the battery and put it back in in order to power it on. (nexus one user)
Happened to me a lot as well. The security update seems to have helped me, though.

Tonza

I switched to Launcher Pro from Samsung Galaxy S's default TouchWiz 3.0.

Only thing is that I have to switch to the TouchWiz when I connect to PC. Otherwise the PC doesnt find it. (says that the phone has to be in idle on Launcher Pro?)

Otherwise it's a lot smoother. I don't miss the Samsung widgets since those are pretty terrible.

iapetus said:
Killer for me is that presumably Launcher Pro isn't compatible with HTC widgets. :(

The only HTC widget I *really* care about is the Friend Stream one, the widget doesn't work in Launcher Pro but the app that the widget launches itself does, so you can just load it from the app drawer.

Beautiful Widgets makes a good replacement for almost everything else.

It'd be nice if someone could figure out how to allow HTC widgets though.

b.e.r.g

bigswords said:
Galaxy S has one as well, also it has DNLA (wireless) to stream video to any DNLA Samsung TV also it has the ability to become a remote control to any DNLA Samsung TV as well.
As far as I can see the HDMI port on the Galaxy S didn't make it 'till launch? Or am I looking at a gimped version here?

EDIT: Or is it the mini-USB that doubles as HDMI/TV-out? Kinda weird it's not mentioned in this review then...

Miggytronz

Snowstorm App....

Ok i love this app due to its great widget layout (imo the best ive ever seen for a weather widget) but i absolutely hate it at the same time because its inaccurate as hell. Anyone else notice this.

For example its supposed to be in the upper 90's this week here in Va Beach, VA and Snowstorm is saying low 80's? WTF!!!

I uninstalled it today with dismay. Maybe it'll get an update in the near future.

ana

Mikasangelos said:
Snowstorm App....

Ok i love this app due to its great widget layout (imo the best ive ever seen for a weather widget) but i absolutely hate it at the same time because its inaccurate as hell. Anyone else notice this.

For example its supposed to be in the upper 90's this week here in Va Beach, VA and Snowstorm is saying low 80's? WTF!!!

I uninstalled it today with dismay. Maybe it'll get an update in the near future.

I liked Snowstorm also but for me it stopped updating..

Now I'm using Weather widgets (yr.no)...

http://www.ermesjo.org/blog/?page_id=66
http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.ermesjo.yr

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Quickdesk is pretty nice for enhanced multitasking.
Basically, it's like the "hold home to open recently used apps" action, but you double tap home and a whole app screen overlays on top of what you're doing that is fully customizable. Even widgets. I like it quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom