• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andromeda the star trek series that never was

Status
Not open for further replies.

B'z-chan

Banned
I've been watching this show a lot lately. I remember early on when it first came out i wasnt too interested in it. But as Enterprise died i started to watch this show more and more.

And more and more i've seen a almost kickass series. It was created by rodenbery's wife if i'm not mistaken. But something makes me ask, was this the star trek series that never was?

The thought of everything that was built up by the federation, collapsing one day. And only a few survivors can bring it back to life. Stop me if i'm wrong, but wouldnt that be one kick ass trek show?

Anywyas Battle Star Galatica is like the same premise, as i've noticed all shows borrow from someone else. But shit this would have been a good idea for a trek show.

ManaByte

Andromeda should never have been allowed to survive as long as it has.

Watch Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and Battlestar Galactica and do yourself a favor and never watch Andromeda again.

Monk

Banned
Stargate is THE most overrated bunch of crap I have ever seen. I just dont understand the fan following for it.

B'z-chan

Banned
I dont know man, i've missed a good portion of all of these shows. Pissed me off greatly, so i got to see all of the season finales. Which were ok.

Battlestar felt too much like a Earth 2 show before everyones life signs get unpluged. Or that fox show space above and beyond. Something like that. I love the original but i never watch the mini series for the new one so i dont know.

Stargate SG1 made me sad, i liked the cast they've had. Farscape is farscape not SG1 damnit.

And atlantis, has got me all fucking confused.

ManaByte

B'z-chan said:
I dont know man, i've missed a good portion of all of these shows. Pissed me off greatly, so i got to see all of the season finales. Which were ok.

Battlestar felt too much like a Earth 2 show before everyones life signs get unpluged. Or that fox show space above and beyond. Something like that. I love the original but i never watch the mini series for the new one so i dont know.

Stargate SG1 made me sad, i liked the cast they've had. Farscape is farscape not SG1 damnit.

And atlantis, has got me all fucking confused.

Well, if Atlantis confuses you it's no wonder you like Andromeda. Andromeda is made for the She Spies/Mutant X/Earth: Final Conflict crowd that enjoys really shitty syndicated shows.

And it's easy to catch episodes of SG-1. SciFi has it on every single day, and like six times on Monday. They just aren't showing Season Seven episodes right now because those were sold to syndication.

Atlantis just ended its first season. It's not hard to figure out. Atlantis is the city of the Ancients (the race the built the Stargates) and is in a different galaxy that the team there has been isolated and cut off from SGC until the season finale.

aaaaa0

The New Battlestar Galactica is the best SF on TV in ages.

Season finale this week and next... awesome. Here's hoping for Season 2 to get here fast.

ManaByte

Looks like the new season MAY start in July. That's when SG-1 9 and Atlantis 2 start.

Oh, and if anyone missed the first season of Atlantis it looks like it starts repeating next Friday night.

LakeEarth

Yeah it's too easy to get lost in Andromeda. I'll watch it here and there, but I usually don't know what the hell is going on.

Waychel

Banned
The only thing that I don't particularly like about Andromeda is that I am totally lost about what is going on with the show even after getting up to date on a particular season. I also don't feel particularly attatched to any of the characters with the exception of a few because there is so much backstabbing and stupid stuff going on in-between. I guess that this is just one of those shows where there is so much continuity going on that you can't really get into it unless you watch the whole thing all the way through from beginning to end.

As for Stargate, I first started watching this show because it came on at a convenient time for me and there really wasn't too much about the series to keep track of. I also liked it because the episodes were quirky and the characters themselves reminded me a little bit of Star Trek (Tealc shows similarities to Spock to me). The characters just sort of grew on me from there and I've been a fan of the show ever since. I wouldn't call it the best Sci-fi in existence, but it is one of my favorites and I can see why it has become so popular, considering there is some appeal there for just about everyone. As for Atlantis, I watch it from time to time because of Stargate, but once SG-1 ends I'll have no reason to watch it anymore.

I agree that Battlestar Galactica is without a doubt the best Sci-fi on tv right now, though.

Monk said:
Stargate is THE most overrated bunch of crap I have ever seen. I just dont understand the fan following for it.

Neither do I. It's decent Sci-Fi but the way people talk about it, "how sci-fi should be done" creeps me out. It's really nothing special at all.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Andromeda haters can kiss my ass(although yes if you haven't watched the show it's not an easy series to jump in to this season)... but yeah Galactica rocks..

And more and more i've seen a almost kickass series. It was created by rodenbery's wife if i'm not mistaken. But something makes me ask, was this the star trek series that never was?

The thought of everything that was built up by the federation, collapsing one day. And only a few survivors can bring it back to life. Stop me if i'm wrong, but wouldnt that be one kick ass trek show?

Yeah, the original producer of Andromeda, Robert Wolfe, was one of the main writers for Star Trek Deep Space Nine and wrote some scripts for Next Generation. While on DS9 he'd pitched some ideas for a new Trek series, but Paramount chose not to develop them. Eventually he got a deal with Tribune, took his Trek concept, changed the Trek-specific details, shoehorned in some vague ideas from Gene Roddenberry's notebooks (Tribune wanted to stick Roddenberry's name on the show) and Andromeda was born. Halfway through the second season Wolfe was forced out over creative differences with the studio and the star, and the show headed straight to hell (at least according to some fans)

quest

Not Banned from OT
For the first 2 season andomedia was pretty damn good. Until hercules went nuts and fired everyone in site. Soon as the new behind the scenes staff took over the show sucked. The first season was excellent. When I see the show now I just get sick over how it was pissed on and ruined by mr. ego sorbo.
Battle Star is getting better the first half of the season was to much like a soap for me. My main problem with Battle Star is most of the time I don't get the sense of a rag tag crew on the run from a superior enemy. I don't get the feeling of humanity 1 inch for extermination like I should. That and I can't stand Dr. Bashier errr baltar. The show uses sex every 5 seconds to try and cover up its short comings. I just hope season 2 they can get away from the OC style and move twoward scifi. I'll still watch since there is so little scifi on TV these days. Just a shame that soon as enterprise gets good they cancel the show.

Also the StarGate Atlantis season finally was the best since the first season cliff hangers of andromedia and Babylon 5. I doubt any scifi season finally will ever top babylon 5's season 1 ender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom