• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

haircut

Linkzg said:
I do agree with him on the whole rant on the plugs, those big boxes at the end piss me off.
Agreed. I hadn't given it much thought before but those boxes at the end of the plug are completely unacceptable. We should have done away with them years ago.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
DMczaf said:
I never saw the 32X-SegaCD-GenesisMegaZord in person. All of those AC adapters, all of those cables...my god!

I did and it really was like that, I also knew immediately what was the problem when it was nothing but backgrounds, you really do need that cord.

ghibli99

I usually think these vids are way too over-the-top (and he just tries way too hard to be angry during his expletive-laden rants, but they're just annoying). I do find humor in all of them, though, since the stuff that makes him mad is the same stuff that made me throw my controllers and curse at the TV.

The 32X one was actually quite good, although I wish he would have mentioned other good games like the nearly-perfect-except-for-the-frameskips conversions of Space Harrier and After Burner (the only games I ever owned for the system). I still felt like a schmuck for owning a 32X. Sure, I bought it used, but still... it was like buying an N64 during those dry spells.

I also like this one because it addresses some great points, like the spine labels on carts (a totally true/valid observation), power supply bricks, the Doom music, and the PITA which was connecting the 32X to a first-generation Genesis.

The Ghostbusters (Genesis) piece was cool. Brought back memories, and I forgot how varied the bosses were! Definitely made me want to play this game again.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I really liked this episode. Probably because he calms down a bit and just rants, with his usual schticks toned down. He should do more eps like these, there was a good balance.

Damn that 32x/CD combo sucked. You really have to stop and wonder what the hell Sega was thinking when they came up with that. If you were a loyal Sega fan and bought everything, you must've felt so raped when they came with the Saturn later.

test_account

XP-39C²
Altho the power adapters rant is alittle exaggerated its madness that you need 3 power adapters. What i mean with exaggerated is when he tries to connect all 3 to that extender. The only time you need all 3 power adapters is when you're going to play the 32X CD games, which he didnt use. Yes, i know angry videogame nerd is usualy exaggerating and it is a valid point if you want to play 32X CD games, but only like 7 of these games got out so its not a problem you often will run into ;)

He should feel rest assured that the 32X has one of the worst line ups in the history of games. Probably worse than the Atari Jaguar. The redeeming factor is Sega's own line up (Despite the fact that most of the titles were already on the Genesis, such as Virtua Racing) and Knuckles Chaotix was rather subpar.

This is coming from a guy who got a 32X primarily for Chaotix. Since the games were pretty much gone the next day, its not like I never got anything else for the add-on.

Okay I got Pitfall - The Mayan Adventure for it, but like anyone really cares.

I wouldnt mind playing it again, but it really should've parked itself on Sonic Gems Collection to avoid alienating people on the next Sonic (Crap?) Collection. Theres tons of levels, but they're so spread apart that they're tough to navigate, and with the buddy system the other player tends to get stuck, making it near impossible to traverse through the game properly. Especially if the other player happens to play as Charmy the Bee and wants to fly everywhere. I have to carry my other character to avoid having problems. Then I bet playing the game in 2 player mode is an even bigger headache. But since I've got little friends, I never had the chance to do so.

hobbitx

I love the Doom music comparison.
Yeah, that was hilarious.

I wish he would do some pc reviews, I could have sworn I saw some pc shit on the shelves too.

..........and that intro song needs to go. It's almost as bad as 1up's theme. Do a chiptune version and be done already. I ****ing hate that awkward acoustic shit, almost makes me embarrassed to be a fan. Good ass episode, I never get sick of this guys stuff.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I've enjoyed the Angry Video Game Nerd's work since his Back to the Future review. Ironically, it's not really the infuriated rants by the Nerd that I enjoy (though the one at the end of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was rather amusing because I didn't actually see it coming). Rather, it's the hilariously bad aspects of the games that are such anachronisms today that really make the videos funny. Stuff like Roger Rabbit's insanely long passwords or the stairway scene in Ghostbusters; terrible game designs that you don't see so much anymore. The actual Nerd persona, in my eyes, really just serves as a method of delivering the real humour in the games themselves.

I don't like all of his videos, though; it's definitely up and down with him. His first two videos (Castlevania 2 and Dr. Jekyll) aren't really that funny. But Castlevania 2 makes some very valid points and, except for the gratuitious cursing, actually serves as a decent enough "serious" review of the game. Jekyll spends too much time hyping up how bad the game is. Having played it myself, there are amusing aspects of the game not mentioned by the Nerd that would have been brought up had the actual gameplay footage been longer. (Like how the second level has birds that fly around and literally drop crap on you)

Roger Rabbit reminds me of his Castlevania 2 review: not terribly funny, but brings up good points. However, I rank Roger Rabbit below Castlevania 2, though, because Roger Rabbit is a game nobody would expect to be good, unlike Castlevania.

TMNT and Back to the Future are the high points, I think. They featured prominently the over-the-top fury of the Nerd while still mixing in valid points and humorous observations about the games ("you can just walk over it?").

McKids, Wally Bear, Master Chu, and Double Dragon 3 felt very...forced. The Nerd sounded very bored with the proceedings and the games themselves weren't very ripe for humour, except for "Bimmy and Jimmy". Top Gun had some absolutely classic scenes: the attempt to land the plane and the Nerd destroying the TV with a well-placed Hadouken and Sonic Boom.

The Friday the 13th and Nightmare episodes were very elaborate...maybe too much so. I actually liked the Nerd's struggles with the movie monsters, though the part with Freddy Kreuger attacking the Nerd clones was a bit over-the-top and the Nerd clearly lost focus while making it. However, the movies after that have been consistently good; I particularly liked the "guest star" of Spider-Man in that episode.

Garcia

That guy has been around for quite some time now. I'm surprised most of the ppl in the thread didn't know of him.

His TMNT review is awsome !

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Where did you get the idea that most people hadn't heard of him? Keep in mind this thread is about a year old.

hobbitx said:
..........and that intro song needs to go. It's almost as bad as 1up's theme. Do a chiptune version and be done already. I ****ing hate that awkward acoustic shit, almost makes me embarrassed to be a fan.
Haha, I actually like the intro song. I even find myself singing it throughout the day sometimes at random times too! :lol

White Man

Synbios459 said:

That was really meta and kind of awful. He says every big summer movie will be picked apart by the masses and critics? What about the first 2 Spider-Man movies? It certainly didn't apply in those cases. And seeing him go meta about his Nerd persona is just pointless and only connected to the review by tangent. Yes, Nerd, people with half a brain get your humor. No, you don't need to explain why you think your skits are funny. We get it.

rkenshin

Synbios459 said:

You should've mentioned that the person reviewing was actually James Rolfe the person and not his videogame persona (AVGN)

He also did another review on Grindhouse..

If you wanted something that's similar to the AVGN style, why not link to his "You know what's bull****?" videos instead, he's got two of them up at this moment

I for one, enjoyed Spiderman 3 as much as Rolfe; his review was also quite well done, although I'm kinda sick of looking at Spiderman 3 movie posters by now...

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I've read reactions to the Nerd's review of Spider-Man 3 (not only here) and I can't help but feel that people are being a little unfair to him.

I've seen criticisms that it wasn't as funny as it should have been. But it wasn't supposed to be funny. Sure, the guy's popular because of his Nerd persona, but he can occasionally drop the facade and give his real thoughts once in a while, right? Besides, I agree with him. I really enjoyed Spider-Man 3. Sure, the scenes with "emo" Peter Parker were silly and unnecessary, but it was a fun movie nonetheless.

Deku

Banned
Just watched his 32X, SegaCD reviews. I understand he exaggerates his criticisms for effect but those are just awful awful products.

Raw64life

I actually owned Silver Surfer for NES. So awesomely bad. I remember Mephisto opening picture giving me nightmares because I was like 6 when I got it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
God, I remember playing Silver Surfer all those years ago, I eventually game genied it, but damn. I can't believe people got away with that kind of design back then.

Haha. That was a good one. Yeah I agree. The jumping jack-o-lanterns was rediculous. It even appeared as if the game adjusted their placement from time-to-time just to **** over the player.

And please keep the bit music. No more shitty guitar dude.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Has he ever reviewed Xmen on the NES? That is one messed up game.

EDIT: that was classic Nerd in that Silver Surfer review!

wow i never have seen that game before. What did they do to silver surfer? They took one of the stronger marvel characters and made it that any hit could kill him? :lol

That's like making a 1 hit and you die hulk game

GreekWolf

Deku said:
Just watched his 32X, SegaCD reviews. I understand he exaggerates his criticisms for effect but those are just awful awful products.
Well, except that Lunar: The Silver Star and Eternal Blue are two of the greatest JRPGs of all time and made the Sega CD a must own system back in the early 90's... but other than those rare gems, you're right.

32X had zero redeeming values. Nada. Zilch.

GreekWolf said:
Well, except that Lunar: The Silver Star and Eternal Blue are two of the greatest JRPGs of all time and made the Sega CD a must own system back in the early 90's... but other than those rare gems, you're right.

32X had zero redeeming values. Nada. Zilch.

Yea i owned a Sega CD back in the day and it did have some gems: Lunar 1 & 2, Sonic CD ar the 3 that come to mind as the cream of the crop

Trakdown

Silver Surfer one was good, especially the point about actually being able to crash into some objects in the overhead view. What a joke. :lol :lol

I'm hoping he'll review Hydlide one of these days, though it'll probably bore him to death.

Nintaiyo

:lol That one was pretty entertaining; definitely the funniest in a while. And I felt like he was slipping a bit lately, too. The rampant swearing had gotten a little long in the tooth, and some of them felt forced, but this felt like a return to form. The fact that the game looked so bad and frustrating made this video hilarious just like the TMNT one. Keep it up, AVGN!

DMczaf

One of these days he needs to have a viewer's choice episode where people can vote for which game he reviews.

After seeing Silver Surfer, I'd vote for X-Men NES right now.

Top Bottom