• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing MMO

theBishop

Banned
shaft said:
SD cards aren't that expensive anymore. Nintendo gave a free memorycard with the Cube version.

What's the deal with SD support? I've heard you can back up downloads and import images, but you can't save your game to them?

That will probably be the solution if this game does end up being an MMO.

basik

why does that article end with 'insignificant compared to... home'? what? when was home significant? ac has sold millions.

that flash cart is probably for ds demoes and small ds games from the wiiware channel.

Ramenman

beelzebozo said:
i think greg kasavin pointed out once what might be to the detriment of an animal crossing mmo: that it's ultimately about interacting with these quirky, interesting animal characters. if you replace kapp'n and tortimer and pelly with a bunch of adolescent douchebags playing online, it loses a lot of its charm

Yeah, I think if it ever happens, it will obviously be more like "MMO in Animal Crossing's world" than "Animal Crossing MMO".

Did no one notice this part of the article?

Of similar import is the imminent arrival of an official DS flash card, which will initially just be available to allow Nintendo to sell the back catalogue of Game Boy and Game Boy Colour games. The uncontrollable homebrew and piracy communities that use the DS rely on similar devices for their more nefarious ends, but this should, in the long term, allow Nintendo to exercise some control over at least the former through the simple step of offering a path to publisher-supported content. Compared to the slightly vague WiiWare proposition, this has the possibility to revolutionise homebrew development – at least in terms of distribution and the possibility of mainstream success – but how far the notoriously controlling Japanese giant will allow that community the creative freedom it requires to flourish will only be seen in practice. And before getting too excited, the device will launch exclusively for old Game Boy content, initially.

Did I somehow miss a Nintendo announcement...or is this their way of announcing it?

Nintendo's take on MMO.

Massive sales + Online multiplayer.
Real time anonymous trading of items, named entry into cross town competitions and events.
Communication only via friends lists. Town large enough to support XX number of players from a friends list. No way to meet people in the wild.

Various communal benefits such as message in a bottle, online market place and of course events.

Zilch

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
It'll probably allow 20 of your friends on one server, if that much

That sounds like the perfect number, really. As long as we can visit other servers/towns.

Saitou

Banned
Guys, ther eal megaton is the GB/C Virtual Console for the DS. I mean, forreal. Super Mario land 2 and MGS:Ghost Babel, here I come!

JoeFu

Banned
I just hope there is a city you can visit with friends or something. Not really fun going to towns that looks almost the same.

shinsnake

Banned
Seriously, as awesome as Animal Crossing is and as awesome as an Animal Crossing MMO sounds, Virtual Console for DS FTW!

I never finished MGS: Ghost Babel, never played Metroid 2, have nothing to play Link's Awakening or The Oracle games on, and I just found out there was a SSFTIIT on GBA. Plus, what if they include things like you see on the VC on the Wii? Gamegear games (Sonic was hawt!!!), Lynx, Nomad, (Never played either) and my personal favorite, Neo Geo Pocket. What was that SNK fighting game on there? That would be the shiznit.

Bdub

Maybe your town stays the same, but there are public places where everyone can go shop or hang out.

Saitou

Banned
Dascu said:
Link's Awakening
But that one I already own =D

Plus, what if they include things like you see on the VC on the Wii? Gamegear games (Sonic was hawt!!!), Lynx, Nomad, (Never played either) and my personal favorite, Neo Geo Pocket. What was that SNK fighting game on there? That would be the shiznit.
Shit, now I need to change my pants.

DAMN YOU FOR GETTING MY HOPES UP, YOU KNOW NINTENDO WOULD NEVER DO SOMETHING AS AWESOME AS THIS

Gwanatu T

exploding-head.gif

traveler

Not Wario
That could actually work pretty well as long as Nintendo fixes their storage problem and totally revamps or reworks their online system for this.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
The sheer amount of interaction they could put into this Wii iteration is amazing. Just imagine if they link the weather in the game to the weather that shows up in the Forecast channel. If its rainy where you are, its rainy in the game. If your character visits someone who lives in Canada where its snowy, it snows in the character's town. If you need to fish for a certain type of fish during the rain, visit your Seattle or London friend's town. If it needs to be hot and sunny, visit a Florida or California friend's town. They could really push the Animal Crossing "World" by instituting weather in real-time.

Evlar

Banned
More great news! What a week.

I'm confident a mass storage solution is coming to Wii, either a HDD (preferrable) or a flash drive, interfacing with the USB port. It's becoming more obvious the extra storage will be necessary for WiiWare (Crystal Chronicles, maybe Sam and Max) and now an MMO.

pvpness

I could see a system where everyone has their own town just like normal, but when you want to leave you can choose to visit your friends towns, or go to "The Big City". The Big City of course being a huge MMO style online meeting place for people. I could see it being centered around a multitude of multiplayer focused mini-games and events. I could even see players earning earning enough bells at home to purchase shops in the city to sell their home-made stuff. Then if you meet people you like, just invite them back to your town or something.

I'd be down for something like that.

zallaaa

I could see this happen in the form of a Wii channel (a client) rather than a dvd, very likely with the weather channel integration and obviously always connected. It could very well include the Mii channel functionalities.

jonezer4

theBishop said:
Is this really realistic with only 512MB built-in storage?
The DS version does pretty well with .25MB (2Mb). Don't really know how much more information would be necessitated for a Wii, more online focused game, but I can't imagine it being more than a few megs.

JohnTinker said:
Just imagine if they link the weather in the game to the weather that shows up in the Forecast channel. If its rainy where you are, its rainy in the game.

I think you mean, if it was rainy in your town 8 hours ago, when the weather was last updated on the Wii, then it's rainy in the game. :D

I've always thought that should be an option in Madden. Instead of picking Random, Rainy, Snowy, etc., just pick "My Weather" or something and get it from the Wii channel. Of course, EA can't get simple things like hiking the ball without throwing it into the ground consistently to work, so that'd be a bit of a stretch.

Flynn

My Dream: Animal Crossing Wii is the big city where Tom Nook is rebuilding his corporate empire. You start as an intern at his company. It connects to Animal Crossing DS, where you keep your country cabin.

nightside

i think next AC will focus yes on multiplayer, but not on "massive" multi..btw, i can't imagine one city with 90 different people..that would be a mess. instead, I can see 4-5 pople working together on the same town..with the possibility to visit other towns anytime.

As long as there's some sort of way for you to determine who can mess with your stuff. I don't want people cutting down my trees or trampling all over my flowers. :(

PkunkFury

Flynn said:
My Dream: Animal Crossing Wii is the big city where Tom Nook is rebuilding his corporate empire. You start as an intern at his company. It connects to Animal Crossing DS, where you keep your country cabin.

I'm also hoping for a City. an animal crossing take on office work would be great. I'd like to keep my own town but travel to the city by train for the MMO part

I hope they can do something about cheating with the MMO, though. My biggest problem with visiting people on the DS was showing up to see mansions, full museums, and rare objects littering the fields of 5 day old towns

I still wonder why they haven't made a proper pokemon game on a home console. A pokemon MMO would sell a silly amount. And end the future sporting careers of many a young person.

handofg0d said:
Assuming this is true, how the hell would it work?

To keep the same general premise of the game in tact, it would make a terrible MMO (Each player getting an entire town to customize, as part of a larger community)

The solution to keep it interesting isn't without big problems though, being many players with individual homes inside a larger town (Each town being a server most likely) This would cause problems with things like tree placement, bridge placement, etc. How would land be divided? Would other players be able to, say, cut down my entire orchard of Peach trees? Because if they could, they would. Also, things like Museums would become 100% complete in NO TIME.

Don't get me wrong, the constant 24/7 world of Animal Crossing is a perfect fit for a Social MMO, but the gameplay premise would have to change drastically to make it work. That said, such a drastic change *might* be the kick in the pants Animal Crossing so badly needs to stay fresh.

You definitely bring up some of the main problems the game could face. I'm sort of imagining a Spore like situation. Each town would be like a planet in Spore, you can customize it however you want, and explore other peoples towns/houses but nothing you do actually effects their own game.

What I want would be one central city, with markets, shopping malls, and other cool things like that. I'm not sure if that would ever happen though.

I'm really interested to see how Nintendo will handle the online in this game. Animal Crossing could be amazingly cool online if done right, but unfortunately I sort of doubt Nintendo will execute it correctly. If they do anything more than what they put into Wild World, I would be sort of suprized.

NeonZ

MrPing1000 said:
I still wonder why they haven't made a proper pokemon game on a home console. A pokemon MMO would sell a silly amount. And end the future sporting careers of many a young person.

A proper Pokemon game for consoles possibly could seriously hurt the handheld titles and would have higher development costs too.

A Pokemon MMO could work, but would have the same problems of other MMOs for Nintendo, and they've never made any, so it's non-existence isn't too weird.

Salmonax

I have so little faith in Nintendo's ability to implement an online environment competently that I simply don't believe they'd even attempt it in the interest of quality.

firex

I don't think this is an MMO in the traditional sense. gaming mags/reviews/sites tried to call PSO an MMO too when it came out, and I think this will be closer to that. AC Wii will have a train station like lobby area and you can meet up with people there and go to their houses or something if you've exchanged friend codes. I don't know, maybe it'll be more than that, but I doubt it. even that seems like a stretch.

Top Bottom