• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons |OT| Self-isolating on a deserted island

Thurible

I'm not a vegan myself (omnivore for life), but I can respect and understand the rationale to a degree. I do not however respect and understand the rationale for refusing to fish and catch bugs in a videogame because you think that it will somehow affect real world fishing and such. Why limit yourself like that even if you actually believe that catching insects and fishing is unethical? It's literally just ones and zeroes ((also, real fish and bugs don't have any thoughts or feelings (physical and emotional) either)). I've also heard some horror stories about this particular organization, ironically on their treatment of animals (perfectly healthy dogs have supposedly been euthanized by them), so I'm skeptical of their authority on the subject of humane treatment of living creatures.

cormack12

Gold Member
Thanks Mista Mista he just posted on reddit so is getting invaded. Just get back to your game and he can try tomorrow. Thanks though.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I would like to thank Mista Mista for gifting me Animal Crossing New Horizons, you really made my day!! ...

I'm looking to join you guys...=D

g3R8o81.jpg
Don't thank me mate. Want you to have fun with us during those shitty times :)

Onikaan

Honestly, what's the reason behind Nintendo making that decision other than they want people to get fed up and buy another unit? Or is that just it. Pure greed?

Mista

Banned
Honestly, what's the reason behind Nintendo making that decision other than they want people to get fed up and buy another unit? Or is that just it. Pure greed?
I believe the Japanese are still behind when it comes to functions like this.

Has anyone found any star fragments? I don’t even know what to look for. Are they buried? Are they just sitting out in the open? I don’t even know what the item I need them for does!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Thanks GAF for the info in the thread. I passed on the idea to hunt spiders on that mystery island to my wife, She paid off her house (well, one of the phases/stages of the house) after pulling 96k bells from one trip. She's thrilled!

Onikaan

Thanks GAF for the info in the thread. I passed on the idea to hunt spiders on that mystery island to my wife, She paid off her house (well, one of the phases/stages of the house) after pulling 96k bells from one trip. She's thrilled!

I just managed to get on a tarantula island there. Godamn those little bastards move fast. I got a patern down for nailing em.

I also got two golden nuggets on the same island... Not sure what the odds of that are... But I ain't complaining.

220,000 bells from one trip.

mcjmetroid

I just managed to get on a tarantula island there. Godamn those little bastards move fast. I got a patern down for nailing em.

I also got two golden nuggets on the same island... Not sure what the odds of that are... But I ain't complaining.

220,000 bells from one trip.
How does one get access to this island? Haven't come across it yet.

Shantae

Banned
I believe the Japanese are still behind when it comes to functions like this.
That sounds like bull shit, this decision was deliberate. I don't know about New Leaf, but previous AC games did not have such restrictive BS. I'm pretty sure City Folk allowed every user to donate and upgrade aspects of the town in the same fashion.

Onikaan

How does one get access to this island? Haven't come across it yet.

The Nook Miles Island Ticket thing. You print a ticket out at the machine and turn it in at the seaport for a random island adventure. And if you're lucky you'll get the tarantula island. They just keep spawning, and that allows you to just fill your inventory to the brim. Its kinda broken, actually. Unless it is super rare. I got it after 5 tickets.

Has anyone found any star fragments? I don’t even know what to look for. Are they buried? Are they just sitting out in the open? I don’t even know what the item I need them for does!

I think this is a summer thing Isabelle will tell you tonight is a good night to make a wish on a star so wait at night and look up should be able to get it.

I have not done this yet too busy building my town to time travel for that purpose but I've seen the announcement

DryvBy

I put in more time in the original than any other game and this Switch version has to be my least favorite addition to the franchise. The breakable weapons, the game takes a step back every step forward it takes. I'm gonna say after a few days with this, I think I'll play this less than City Folk.

I think this is a summer thing Isabelle will tell you tonight is a good night to make a wish on a star so wait at night and look up should be able to get it.

I have not done this yet too busy building my town to time travel for that purpose but I've seen the announcement
Celeste came to my town and told me to wish on a star, and then gave me a DYI recipe that calls for star fragments. I've wished on, literally, 72 stars. I'm confused.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Do Nintendo consoles still have free multiplayer or does one need to pay to play this game online with friends?

Unfortunately, the free multiplayer dream is now dead on consoles, due to people not standing against pay services.

Fortunately, Nintendo’s is at least dirt-cheap and comes with NES and SNES games. $7.99 for three months, and some ridiculous sub-$5 ($3 or $4, I think) figure for a single month.

Last edited:
I put in more time in the original than any other game and this Switch version has to be my least favorite addition to the franchise. The breakable weapons, the game takes a step back every step forward it takes. I'm gonna say after a few days with this, I think I'll play this less than City Folk.

Yeah, the breakable tools and the tedious crafting are too much like BotW, which I did not like even as a lifelong Zelda fan.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unfortunately, the free multiplayer dream is now dead on consoles, due to people not standing against pay services.

Fortunately, Nintendo’s is at least dirt-cheap and comes with NES and SNES games. $7.99 for three months, and some ridiculous sub-$5 ($3 or $4, I think) figure for a single month.
Ahh, how times have changed. I'll have to factor that into whether or not I want to buy a Switch to get in on all this Crossings of Animals with my friends.

Thanks for info and getting grandpa hamster up to speed :messenger_smiling:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Ended my day in a pretty good spot. Got $100k in the ATM. About $80-100k worth of fish & bugs in storage that I will sell once Nook's Cranny opens tomorrow. It might not be until the weekend before I pay off the $548k but I'm in no rush.

I had the AC Switch available to buy in-game but decided against it. Sahara showed up and I bought some stuff. I got a mushroom rug that is hideous and sitting in my home entryway.

I went to one island that had only large fish in the waters. The rivers were filled with only black bass. The ocean had a good variety. Managed to get an oarfish, some football fish, red snappers, etc. Pretty lucrative.

This game came out at the perfect time.

Kacho

That's quite an endorsement.
New Horizons oozes charm and the whole experience is very relaxing and immersive. This is a substantial upgrade over the past games and I’ve only begun to scratch the surface.

The new crafting mechanic adds some much needed depth and gives things in the world purpose. I find myself constantly learning new recipes, which gives a nice sense of progression on top of the usual stuff.

Also, being able to customize the outdoor area with furniture and other items gives the game an extra layer of customization. I didn’t expect to care, but there’s some really cool stuff in here.

Ahh, how times have changed. I'll have to factor that into whether or not I want to buy a Switch to get in on all this Crossings of Animals with my friends.

Thanks for info and getting grandpa hamster up to speed :messenger_smiling:

As -Arcadia- said, at least it is cheap - $19.99 per year. As much as I don't like paying for online play, I figured for less than $2 per month, it wasn't terrible.

That said, what the Switch Online sub provides is pretty barebones, even for the price.

I gotta say, while I’m enjoying Animal Crossing: New Horizons, it’s not hooking me the same way New Leaf did. I don’t know if it’s because the main gameplay loop is so similar to all the other Animal Crossing games, or if it’s something else. I just feel like I run out of stuff to do. The Nook Miles thing is fine, but I feel like I’m getting miles to go to the same three islands. I’d rather have Kapn and the one custom island, than the same set of temporary islands over and over. I know Animal Crossing is a slow burn, but this one feels slower than ever. Also, the villagers really don’t do much. I‘m not helping them with tasks. I’m not answering dumb questions or creating catchphrases. They’re just there. The villagers don’t even mention letters!

I am having fun, but I feel like I’m working for it this time.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
New Horizons oozes charm and the whole experience is very relaxing and immersive. This is a substantial upgrade over the past games and I’ve only begun to scratch the surface.

The new crafting mechanic adds some much needed depth and gives things in the world purpose. I find myself constantly learning new recipes, which gives a nice sense of progression on top of the usual stuff.

Also, being able to customize the outdoor area with furniture and other items gives the game an extra layer of customization. I didn’t expect to care, but there’s some really cool stuff in here.
As -Arcadia- said, at least it is cheap - $19.99 per year. As much as I don't like paying for online play, I figured for less than $2 per month, it wasn't terrible.

That said, what the Switch Online sub provides is pretty barebones, even for the price.
Join us. One of us :messenger_robot:
Thanks for the input, fellow virtual mortgage payers :messenger_beaming:

One more thing I have to consider - given our current supply chain situation, I would only be able to buy a Switch Lite as regular Switches are sold out everywhere.

Worth it? I heard the dpad is nice, but also that joycon drift is still a thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, fellow virtual mortgage payers :messenger_beaming:

One more thing I have to consider - given our current supply chain situation, I would only be able to buy a Switch Lite as regular Switches are sold out everywhere.

Worth it? I head the dpad is nice, but joycon drift is still a thing.

I'm playing on a launch Switch, and I've been one of the lucky ones - no drift on my original Joycons. I have seen reports of the Lite with drift, and that would concern me honestly, as at least if I ever have the issue I can just pick up new Joycons. I'll let those who have the Lite answer, as the two people I know who have Lites haven't had any issues, but they could also be lucky I guess (and they obviously haven't had them very long as well).

I thought I'd give an update on the star fragment thing I was complaining about. Apparently last night, in my town, there was a meteor shower. This morning there were star fragments all over my beaches. I don't know if the amount correlates to wishing on stars or anything. I wished on over 200 stars last night. I completed all stages of the Nook Miles card, because I was confused on what any of it meant! I still don't get it.

cormack12

Gold Member
Oh I'll just log on and check the shop was built. Three houses and a bridge later, it's lunch time.....

Honestly, games like this aren't often my thing but man is this addictive af!! I don't even know why.

drganon

Getting the ladder and pole is a godsend. Now I can get all those stupid weeds that have been annoying me all this time.

On another note, I'll be getting my first villager (not counting the two you start with) and the musuem tomorrow. I could probably do more but I've had my fill of crafting for one day.

How do I get new fruit for my island? I thought using the Mile Tickets would introduce me to new fruit trees, but they always have the same fruit that my island does... and coconuts.

Mista

Banned
Caught a goldfish for the first time. That thing is scary tiny
How do I get new fruit for my island? I thought using the Mile Tickets would introduce me to new fruit trees, but they always have the same fruit that my island does... and coconuts.
You need to pray to the RNG god

It took me a bunch of trips to get most of the fruit. I’m missing pears, but I’ve got the others. You just have to keep going, or find other players that have the fruits you need.

Top Bottom