• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing U incoming?

Neoxon

Do we really need another Animal Crossing game? Hasn't the concept basically been perfected with New Leaf? What could possibly be gained (besides graphics) by bringing it to Wii U?

Surely this is a case of resources better spent elsewhere? (F-Zero U, Mario 64 U, New IP?)
Animal Crossing sells & they can now take advantage of Miiverse.

As for the examples you mentioned, F-Zero doesn't sell as well (sadly), they're likely saving their next 3D Mario for the NX (if it's a console), & we just got Splatoon.

MicH

I am so starved for more Animal Crossing I don't even care if it's on console. Just don't make it a New Leaf clone with a few extra things added aka City Folk

Clefargle

I don't want a Wii U version. The game is much better on the go. Imagine having to sit through that loading screen every time you wanna do something quick. No thanks.

Actually, with the recent updates and QuickStart functionality, the Wii U loads as fast as the 3DS from boot. Not the N3DS, but still shouldn't be a big deal. I would love a console version with cross connectivity with the upcoming 3DS home decor one.

Qwyjibo

I'd probably get it.

I don't know why I liked ACNL but I do. I am the most anti-social video gamer ever. I don't care about visiting other people's town or interacting with anyone online. I barely even interact with the residents of my town and find most of them annoying. I just like finding fossils, collecting shit and selling everything to build up my empire to rule! This game isn't made for someone like me and yet I still enjoy going back to it every now and then.

Macka

Well there are definitely some opportunities to introduce a few things to the franchise.

Game Features
1. HD Visuals
2. Miiverse
3. Amiibo figurines
4. Connectivity and data exchange with the 3DS spinoff
5. Off TV play (almost like a hand held)

Business Incentive
1. Nintendo needs an IP to move hardware and software in Japan
2. Amiibo figurines
3. Why else would they remove Animal Crossing Plaza?
HD graphics doesn't mean much for a series like Animal Crossing imo. I also don't see the appeal of Miiverse, and Amiibo still don't actually do anything worthwhile. I'm not at all interested in Happy Home Designer, so any connectivity between those is completely lost on me. Off TV play is cool, but you're still stuck ~20 metres from your TV, so you're still exclusively playing it at home. I'd rather just have a new 3DS version tbh, and even then I wouldn't be keen on starting a new town for another few years.

I understand there's probably a hardcore AC community that will lap up every game that's released, but I'd imagine how I'm feeling is closer to the majority here?

megalowho

I'm always interested to see what Nintendo does with the series, but I'm usually a bit let down by how slowly they iterate on the concept. Also kinda prefer it on a handheld as well. Looking forward to a reveal all the same.

Fat4all

Banned
They are gonna have to change up the formula a good bit for me to be interested.

New Leaf is the perfect AC experience and I play it all the time, so instead of just doing slight improvements they need to outright change the game up for it to be interesting again on consoles.

woen

Please be beautiful like MK 8 is.

Yeah, New Leaf had solid assets for 3DS but it can be astonishing if well-ported on Wii U. I hope they fix what was wrong with New Leaf and don't make just a New Leaf HD with 3 new shops and a gamepad.

Iacobellis

Hopefully it's significantly different than past games. Series feels ripe for a major shake up.

New Leaf already was a major shakeup and brought back the feel of the GameCube version at the same time. Some of the music is the same tune (5PM), the player starts on a train with Rover again, and Kapp'n's main role is taking the player back to the island.

SuperSah

Banned
Like a lot of people, I believe this is a franchise which should remain handheld as it is much more suited to the pick up and play aspect of New Leaf.

Good for those who want it on console though!

Chaos17

Yeah, New Leaf had solid assets for 3DS but it can be astonishing if well-ported on Wii U. I hope they fix what was wrong with New Leaf and don't make just a New Leaf HD with 3 new shops and a gamepad.

I will be still happy to have those graphics even if it's just New leaf+ T_T

I thought someone mentioned those models from the Crossing Plaza thing were just the new leaf models upscaled or something. Is that true? if not, they look really nice regardless.

I saw someone mentioning before that the stuff used in the track in Mario Kart would be a great perspective in the game.

I mean cool but

series works a hell of a lot better on a portable and New Leaf was finally the perfect game to show that

Screw that, my mom loves the animal crossing series, but she HATES handheld game systems. I tried buying her a DSi XL back when Wild World was out, but just hated playing on something so small. She likes sitting on the couch playing on the TV, and has put countless hours into a City Folk, but has been starving for a new one for years.

alf717

I got AC New Leaf as my free Plat gift and I'm kind of burned out already. Oh well lets see what E3 brings.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
They need to change the formula for console games. Expand it. It's perfect how it is on handheld, but I don't want New Leaf on console.

Always preferred AC on consoles, so I hope this happens!

New Leaf was awesome, but I just feel so much more immersed when I see my town up on a big screen. I poured countless hours in the original GameCube game over many years, but I lost interest pretty quick in the handheld titles, even New Leaf. I basically played New Leaf nonstop for a month or two, and then never picked it up again.

Just think how gorgeous the fireworks show will look in HD on Wii U. Oh man. :D

SoulUnison

Banned
I don't think I can get into a non-portable Animal Crossing, and I'm *definitely* adopting a wait-and-see attitude after all the poorly thought out changes they made to New Leaf.

They made you the mayor and advertised it as having "the most control over your town ever!" but it's all a lie. I hope you like working on something for weeks or months at a time, only to have the game decide to delete it because someone wants to live there.

They introduced Public Works and got rid of the "House Plot" system, but never thought to integrate them somehow? And really, being Mayor comes entirely down to Public Projects and the 4 Ordinances.

Then there's weird little choices like how you can select from 4 randomly generated maps, but *only* 4 randomly generated maps. If you don't like any of them you have to quit and restart the game and go through a chunk of the intro over and over again. I literally started New Leaf over 50 times before I actually started playing the game.

There's just so much artificial bullshit that it feels like the game is actively playing against you. The town itself is your antagonist. Animal Crossing is the *last* game that should feel stressful or unfair to play.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Do we really need another Animal Crossing game? Hasn't the concept basically been perfected with New Leaf? What could possibly be gained (besides graphics) by bringing it to Wii U?

Surely this is a case of resources better spent elsewhere? (F-Zero U, Mario 64 U, New IP?)

There's always room for improvement with Animal Crossing or with any series.

Plus F-Zero doesn't sell, a 3D Mario game is likely to be released this year to tie with his 30th anniversary (my guess is either Sunshine HD or Galaxy HD) and as for New IP, dude they just recently released Splatoon and Codename Steam. Heck they even released The Wonderful 101 in 2013.

I have faith that Nintendo won't make another game like City Folk. This could be the best Animal Crossing yet, if they want it to be.

I love the handhelds and hated City Folk, but GCN is my favorite overall so I'm pretty stoked. Just keep Amiibo stuff to the minimum (or just have it unlock stuff early/give costumes), add in tons of new animals and museum stuff to collect, and add in sweeping online community features and I'll buy it day 1.

D: This would be so easy and it would be great.

Expected and pumped. Animal Crossing is a game that I feel would work very well with servers like Minecraft. I miss the days where other real people actually lived in my town with me and I think a Wii U version could make that happen again online.

Lren

I do hope it does get announced soon. For some reason, I've always put more time into the console outings than the handheld ones. Which still feels odd because this formula is PERFECT for playing on the go.

Kinda do not want. Feel like I can only play AC on a handheld these days. And New Leaf was too recent, don't have another one of these games in me yet unless it's crazy revamped and new which I cannot imagine it will be.

to recent new leaf has been out for 3 years 4 years if AC wii u comes out in 2016...

Baleoce

I love the handhelds and hated City Folk, but GCN is my favorite overall so I'm pretty stoked. Just keep Amiibo stuff to the minimum (or just have it unlock stuff early/give costumes), add in tons of new animals and museum stuff to collect, and add in sweeping online community features and I'll buy it day 1.

D: This would be so easy and it would be great.

Yeah I think so. Fishing and bug collecting could totally be converted into community events. They could have some original ones too.

Frodo

While I'm sure some people would definitely appreciate a Wii U Animal Crossing, in on the camp that would rather wait for the next handheld iteration. I played New Leaf a lot, I feel no need for a new Animal Crossing yet, most specially if it doesn't make things different than the 3DS one.

Also, if NX is indeed a home console, there is the fact that they would be better off having games to support that platform, instead of wasting resources with the Wii U.

(I'm sorry, Wii U. Still love you)

I am so starved for more Animal Crossing I don't even care if it's on console. Just don't make it a New Leaf clone with a few extra things added aka City Folk
Hah, this is exactly what I expect it to be, and exactly why I played City Folk for less than an hour and never went back to it.

It was a miracle that New Leaf had as much new features as it did.

Koren

Off TV play is cool, but you're still stuck ~20 metres from your TV, so you're still exclusively playing it at home.
Off-TV is a must. When you play for 5-10 minutes, not having to power the full set (TV, A/V, etc.) is a HUGE advantage.

Busaiku

What was wrong with New Leaf.

Hip Hop

Kinda do not want. Feel like I can only play AC on a handheld these days. And New Leaf was too recent, don't have another one of these games in me yet unless it's crazy revamped and new which I cannot imagine it will be.

This mentality has been sipping to handheld games on Nintendo for a while now.

"Pokemon should be handheld only" and what not.

It's not at it irks me, but all games can work both ways. There's no reason for them to be exclusive to one system.
I played my handheld games at home, so having AC (Where it originated) can work for me, even more so when you combine the online capabilities.

woen

What was wrong with New Leaf.

I remember some gafers made a great thread about this topic. It was about all the little and bigger flaws that made you quit the game after a few weeks or months...which is quite a problem when all your game design is about a new temporality / conception of time oriented to the long run. I believe they made an internal analysis in their studios to know where they could have failed and how they could fix this.

Top Bottom