• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Anime] Best Soundtracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezalc

Baccano!
58757739_baccano_ost300x295.jpg

Guns & Roses aka Opening Theme
Nagai Nagai Yume no Naka no Utage
Abikyoukan no Kurutta Butai

ARIA
Aria%252BOST%252B01.jpg

Undine
Rainbow
Symphony
Spirale
Kakaribi no Nocturne
Euforia

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
big-gankutsuou-ost.jpg

Kaisho

Gun X Sword
Gun_x_Sword_000_OST_01.png

Opening Theme
Niji no Kanata aka EL DORADO THEME
One Night Stand

Katanagatari
katanagatari_ost_1.jpg

Cheerio Theme
Lay Back
Bahasa Palus
Ao Dai
Oikakete DNB

Hurricane Polymar Holy Blood
cover3d.jpg

Opening Theme

I was the first one to post ARIA, Baccano! and Gankutsuou? What the fuck GAF?!

Varion

RevySubterfuge said:
Beaten! Yep, came to post this one. My favourite Kajiura soundtrack and easily one of my favourite anime soundtracks ever, this one's just wonderful. Alright then, I'll pick something else.

Kaiji

xEqT2.jpg

Couldn't stop looping this soundtrack after it first came out. Loads of great tracks that while they fit the show perfectly, pretty much fit everything else you feel like doing as well. The Kaiji soundtrack is the soundtrack for almost every occasion.

Line of Light
Kaiji Theme
Wish

Clannad

z7eth.jpg

Definitely my favourite of the big three Key soundtracks. Little Busters' soundtrack was such a disappointment after it. Posting this also reminds me I need to get back to After Story already, I only watched two episodes of it.

The Place Where Wishes Come True II
The Palm of a Tiny Hand
To the Same Heights

Instro said:
I've also always liked the Big O OST, another of my favorites.

Big O 2's ending was amazing. Always loved this show, and the soundtrack for it is no exception. Probably could make a great videogame as a sort of LA Noire detective drama with interspersed robot combat.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
FLCL times a thousand.

As far as original tracks, the Saint Seiya opening is my favorite.

Enron

Banned
Since the OP said no Yoko Kanno, that rules out Escaflowne, which to me is the best OST ever.

Noir was great. Yuki Kajiura before she started phoning everything in and everything sounding like .hack over and over and over and over again.

Someone I haven't seen anyone mention yet - Kohei Tanaka. His compositions for the Gundam 08th MS Team soundtracks are terrific. Easily my favorite non-Kanno anime OST.

Gouf Custom vs 08th MS Team

ckohler

EDIT:

I was going to post a bunch of links to the killer Macross Plus albums. Never mind. I didn't see the "no Yoko Kanno" part. :(

Deku

Banned
Soundtrack or Singles?

I always like Rie Fu's Single OP/ED themes.

For You - Hourou Musuko ED Rie Fu
Rokutousei no Yoru - No. 6 ED Aimer

are in my playlist

Shepard

No other Anime comes close to Saint Seiya, NO OTHER!

I still find it hard to believe this belongs to an anime
Far Reaching old Peaks
Under the World Tree, holy bollocks
Ikki's Theme (OMG!)
Lamentation
Bloody Battle
Sacrifice
Siegfried
Niebenlungen Ring
Holy mother beautiful theme
Durudee durudaaa theme
Sorento tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-taaaa
and fan's favorites:
Mime Theme version 1, version 2, version 3

And I'm missing a lot of other amazing songs for the sake of post size, listen to some of them, you'll not regret.

Ezalc said:
OP says no Yoko Kanno.
I said I wasn't going to list Yoko Kanno, not that no one else could, although I would encourage people to reach beyond the really obvious choices (Bebop, GitS:SAC, Escaflowne).

Deku said:
Soundtrack or Singles?
Soundtrack. There were a bunch of theme songs I would've listed otherwise, but I want to stick to the actual score playing within the shows, the exception being of the opening/ending songs are composed by the same person/people as the soundtrack itself.

iavi

Crazymoogle said:
Dayumn why have I never heard of Gundam Unicorn before. Who's the composer on this?
Yeeeesssss. Another Hiroyuki bro has joined the fold. The guy writes the most bombastic music ever, but it's just so cash.

He's doing Guilty Crown this season, but I'm not watching, so I have no clue how it's coming along. I have faith though.

Miri said:
Yeeeesssss. Another Hiroyuki bro has joined the fold. The guy writes the most bombastic music ever, but it's just so cash.

(Adds Hiroyuki to God Tier waiting list.) I need to check out his other stuff, but reminds me a lot of Keiki Kobayashi.

Instro

Varion said:
Kaiji

xEqT2.jpg

Couldn't stop looping this soundtrack after it first came out. Loads of great tracks that while they fit the show perfectly, pretty much fit everything else you feel like doing as well. The Kaiji soundtrack is the soundtrack for almost every occasion.

Line of Light
Kaiji Theme
Wish

The season 2 OST is pretty amazing actually, puts the first season to shame with the exception of the OP. Easily one of the best from this year.

Came in to make sure Berserk was posted, seen it in OP. I am pleased. Guts is probably my favorite of the entire OST. Makes me feel like slashing shit. Dark Souls should have made it BGM. Also, Forces. Forces pumps me up so much man. I think I'm about to marathon Berserk this weekend. It'll be the 100th time

Would I be wrong for saying that I enjoyed Naruto music. Sadness and Sorrow always made me morose. So did Alone. Wow, they're emo but damn it they're so good.

1stStrike

Banned
Infernodash said:
Came in to make sure Berserk was posted, seen it in OP. I am pleased. Guts is probably my favorite of the entire OST. Makes me feel like slashing shit. Dark Souls should have made it BGM. Also, Forces. Forces pumps me up so much man. I think I'm about to marathon Berserk this weekend. It'll be the 100th time

Would I be wrong for saying that I enjoyed Naruto music. Sadness and Sorrow always made me morose. So did Alone. Wow, they're emo but damn it they're so good.

No, actually, Naruto has some great music in the series. Rain from a Cloudless Sky is another great song.

Infernodash said:
Came in to make sure Berserk was posted, seen it in OP. I am pleased. Guts is probably my favorite of the entire OST. Makes me feel like slashing shit.
"Guts" does? But it's so... sad, and peaceful. Far moreso than one would expect for such a turbulent character.

Infernodash said:
Would I be wrong for saying that I enjoyed Naruto music.
Nah, I haven't seen Naruto in ages but I recall it having some pretty neat Japanese-flavored music. Inuyasha has a pretty good score too.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
No mention of Vision of Escaflowne? I am disappoint.

edit: oh no yoko kanno.

that's stupid that like saying What's the best classical music of all time? oh don't mention Mozart or Bethoveen!

anyway afaik Esclafowne was composed by Yoko Kanno AND Hajime Mizoguchi, so I dunno.

gatotsu911 said:
"Guts" does? But it's so... sad, and peaceful. Far moreso than one would expect for such a turbulent character.

Nah, I haven't seen Naruto in ages but I recall it having some pretty neat Japanese-flavored music. Inuyasha has a pretty good score too.

Guts is mellow, I was thinking more Forces for slashing shit. Truthfully, you can use the entire Berserk OST in Dark Souls. lol

duckroll

Instro said:
I've never been very fond of Honneamise's OST to be honest.

Me neither. It's one of my favorite movies, and the composer is awesome, but the soundtrack itself never really quite worked for me.

Error said:
Am I the only that thinks that Naruto part 1 anime soundtrack is a shitload better than Shippunden's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pWEtpcFCjo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ug070QK674&feature=related

Shippuden has some good stuff - Pain's theme is really iconic - but I agree to a point. The previously mentioned track "Crushing" for instance is clearly paying homage to the original main theme. But it never goes far enough in making that connection - it just kind of dances around it.

Grakl

Unfortunately, I never see any references to Kaiba in threads that refer to anime. Such a good one, too. Don't be put off by the art style - at first I questioned it, but I realized how well it works after a couple minutes.

YMwm1.jpg

The Tree Song. Such a powerful song, especially in context with the show. So godlike, and my favorite in the anime.

Initialize Me. This song really allows the person hearing to get a serious Sci-Fi vibe that the anime gives off. Excellent.

Opening theme. DONT WATCH THE VIDEO, JUST LISTEN. It's out of sync anyways and has a few spoilers, if you actually want to watch.

I really wish more people would watch this anime. Only a few episodes, and it conveys so much.

FLCL would be my pick for my favorite by a wide margin, but it doesn't really counts, seeing how only a couple songs were actually made for the series and the OT seems to be about original scores. The vast majority is effectively a "greatest hits" of the pillows' late 90s discography.

Grakl said:
Unfortunately, I never see any references to Kaiba in threads that refer to anime. Such a good one, too. Don't be put off by the art style - at first I questioned it, but I realized how well it works after a couple minutes.

http://i.imgur.com/YMwm1.jpg

The Tree Song. Such a powerful song, especially in context with the show. So godlike, and my favorite in the anime.

Initialize Me. This song really allows the person hearing to get a serious Sci-Fi vibe that the anime gives off. Excellent.

Opening theme. DONT WATCH THE VIDEO, JUST LISTEN. It's out of sync anyways and has a few spoilers, if you actually want to watch.

I really wish more people would watch this anime. Only a few episodes, and it conveys so much.

I agree, I've always felt like this show was practically made specifically for me. It definitely has some flaws but the tone is so perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom