• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Mista

Banned
This is probably not the place to ask, but... where could i find someone to translate a really short 7 page manga?
There's a really obscure fan-made manga about a game, and i would like to redraw it and put into english.
If anyone can help, thanks in advance.
Unfortunately this is tough to find

#Phonepunk#

Banned
just LOLing thinking about Sgt. Frog. seveeral years ago i saw it on Netflix and randomly decided to check it out. we were smoking so much weed then and laughed so hard we binged the show for like 5 hours. silly, really hyper active stuff, but some dumb, fun eye candy, and the constant jokes/references is great.

Cutty Flam

Banned
About to go on a One Piece binge yall

I'm on episode 752, the Straw Hats and all just arrived near Zou. I really enjoyed the filler arc beforehand, with the Silver Pirates lead by Bill. That was simple, but actually really well done, especially Luffy's finishing blow; extremely satisfying ending to it with Barto extending his invitation to Desire. It was better than the previous filler arc, where Caesar was abducted with Luffy and the fighting seal or whatever helped fight

But yeah, I'll have plenty of free time, so I'm fairly certain I'll knock out at least a dozen or so episodes on the low side of this week or so binge. I'll update after it's all said and done maybe

Without spoilers, like any detail at all plz, how did you guys enjoy the Zou arc if you had to rte it out of 100?

Cutty Flam

Banned
I was told by a friend, two actually, that Fate Zero is excellent. So I'm thinking once I finally catch up to date on One Piece, I might watch that series

One was saying the characters are outstanding. All I know is that involves a war of some sort involving evoking spirits to gain the Holy Grail as the ultimate prize

Fbh

Oh nice that recent Code Geass movie is on Netflix. Will check it out

I was told by a friend, two actually, that Fate Zero is excellent. So I'm thinking once I finally catch up to date on One Piece, I might watch that series

One was saying the characters are outstanding. All I know is that involves a war of some sort involving evoking spirits to gain the Holy Grail as the ultimate prize

Fate Zero is amazing but the rest of the fate franchise is shit.
In fact if there is one issue with Fate Zero is that the ending sort of sucks because it has to tie in with the terrible Fate Stay/Night (or unlimited blade workds).

It's like.... imagine if the end of Breaking Bad had to be altered to fit in with CSI Miami or something

Last edited:

Sakura

Oh nice that recent Code Geass movie is on Netflix. Will check it out

In fact if there is one issue with Fate Zero is that the ending sort of sucks because it has to tie in with the terrible Fate Stay/Night (or unlimited blade workds).

It's like.... imagine if the end of Breaking Bad had to be altered to fit in with CSI Miami or something
How dare you

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This is probably not the place to ask, but... where could i find someone to translate a really short 7 page manga?
There's a really obscure fan-made manga about a game, and i would like to redraw it and put into english.
If anyone can help, thanks in advance.
By 7 pages do you mean that is all you need translated or is this a manga with several chapters that are 7 pages?

You can comission someone but the latter would get costly. If you plan on doing all the redrawing and just want a translated script, that would be much cheaper.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

Fate/Zero is edgy and gripping. Third episode of S2 caught me by surprise mega how ruthless it was and how Kiritsugu just doesn't value the chivalry between the Servants at all. It was amazing.

Normal Fate material is cool I guess? I get some mild enjoyment out of it, the sex scenes in the VN are like a virgin imagining what sex is like though.

Fbh

Fate/Zero is edgy and gripping. Third episode of S2 caught me by surprise mega how ruthless it was and how Kiritsugu just doesn't value the chivalry between the Servants at all. It was amazing.

Normal Fate material is cool I guess? I get some mild enjoyment out of it, the sex scenes in the VN are like a virgin imagining what sex is like though.

Sure Fate Zero is a bit on the Edgy side but it has a good story with a great cast of characters, morally ambiguous characters and cool action scenes.

I haven't played the VN novels but both version of the Fate anime (Stay Night / Unlimited Bladeworks) are a crappy and painfully generic action shonen complete with a highschool setting, the tropiest supporting cast ever, a slow as shit pacing with tons of filler "I need to protect everyone" internal monologues, and the absolute worst main character of any anime I've personally watched. The "unlimited bladeworks" version is almost literally his self from the future being annoyed at what a generic shonen character he is.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Sure Fate Zero is a bit on the Edgy side but it has a good story with a great cast of characters, morally ambiguous characters and cool action scenes.

I haven't played the VN novels but both version of the Fate anime (Stay Night / Unlimited Bladeworks) are a crappy and painfully generic action shonen complete with a highschool setting, the tropiest supporting cast ever, a slow as shit pacing with tons of filler "I need to protect everyone" internal monologues, and the absolute worst main character of any anime I've personally watched. The "unlimited bladeworks" version is almost literally his self from the future being annoyed at what a generic shonen character he is.
Kinoko Nasu isn't a good writer but he lucked out mega. Urobuchi is the one who made Fate more appealing than it should be.

Fbh

Kinoko Nasu isn't a good writer but he lucked out mega. Urobuchi is the one who made Fate more appealing than it should be.

Yep, it's a damn shame they didn't just let Urobuchi write a sequel to Fate Zero. Could have just treated is a parallel version or something

Shouta

Fate Zero is like mega anomaly from what I hear. I haven't seen it but main Fate stories are pretty blah or navelgazes a lot. Urobuchi is pretty trash overall so the fact anything decent coming out of that combination is a miracle.

Javthusiast

Banned
Fate Zero is like mega anomaly from what I hear. I haven't seen it but main Fate stories are pretty blah or navelgazes a lot. Urobuchi is pretty trash overall so the fact anything decent coming out of that combination is a miracle.

I see you are a man of culture as well.

EOWivtjXkAINSNJ

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Fate is just dead waifus and human stupidity. Carnal Phantasm S2 never.

dont care much for the story in fate series, it's aiming at a juvenile audience, but god dammit the animation in recent fate series are pushing the limits

That spoiler is the only redeeming thing about the F/SN story imo. And it was legitimately great. . .except it did not really change anything. That is what makes Zero better.

Youjo Senki movie (Tanya the Evil)
Always nice to see actual communists being blown to bits with sarcastic commentary.

EEuY_DUWwAA6YAn.png

It's WWI Germany BTFOing WWII Russian and WWI Europe.

So cathartic.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Sounds like Fate Zero is worth the watch then? I would prefer if the ending were extremely strong, as I feel it's likely the most powerful part in any story

I'll have to ask my friends more questions about it, bc I really don't care to enter an artist's world if he doesn't put forth powerful messages and work into his work

Sounds like Fate Zero is worth the watch then? I would prefer if the ending were extremely strong, as I feel it's likely the most powerful part in any story

I'll have to ask my friends more questions about it, bc I really don't care to enter an artist's world if he doesn't put forth powerful messages and work into his work

If i were you, i would wait few more months until Fate Stay Night: Heaven's Feel anime movie series is concluded.
Right now there are 2 out of 3 movies available.

Watch those 3 movies first and then watch Fate Zero.
Chronologically this is reversed, but Fate Stay Night was written before Fate Zero so watching FSN first will feel the most natural in terms of characters being familiar to you.

Fate Stay Night has 3 storylines.
2 of them are not the best IMO so I wouldn't bother but Sakura's storyline (Heaven's Feel) deserves a view IMO.

If you can't wait few more months,
then start with the 2 anime movies and then watch Fate Zero and then watch the 3rd movie when it becomes avaliable.

Last edited:
I wish someone had explained to me before I started watching Fate series
that the holy grail is not referring to some magic cup from medieval legends.

Holy grail in Fate series is a temporary gateway to the outside of this universe,
where all things originate from and where all things will return to as the universe ends.

This outside of the universe is where the servants are summoned from.

I wrote my big summary post over at MU. Basically a sequel to the last page. I´ll just link to proper sub-forum that links to all the ones I did since the start of 2016 (there are older ones but that sub-forum is only that old): https://www.mangaupdates.com/topics.php?page=1&fid=133385
One cut and paste coming right up (the hyper-links all work):

The season was the mess I expected it to be. On to the Dark Kumite survivors but first a round of cleanup. Obsolete, a YT original real-robot show from December is a write-off. Kyokou Suiri starts of perfectly fine but will drop off halfway through. Consider it a soft recommendation. A 7,5/10 now, likely a 6/10 overall.

Dorohedoro is moving at a still acceptable speed so far but nearly all of vol 1 was adapted in only 2 eps. The full runtime will be 12 eps + 6 full-length OVAs. Let´s hope that we don´t end with another Blade of the Immortal 2019/20 situation on our hands which went from too fast (and badly directed) to incomprehensibly condensed in a bit over a month. The inconsistent CG mix doesn´t fully work either and some of the VAs are borderline miscast. The censorship is already way too high too so I have no idea how the later volumes are supposed to be adapted. I still had fun and like the moody backgrounds but MAPPA just isn´t the studio it could be. A 7,5/10 for now. The manga is a 9/10.

Kuutei Dragons I already ain´t crazy about the manga´s ultimate direction but Polygon´s take is lesser than the source material to begin with. Their Star Wars work proves that they can animate but this looks too stiff and kinda cheap. The titular dragons outright look like ass. Try the manga instead but I liked the VAs. 6/10

Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story is the mismanaged mess I expected to be. The crew is too green to make it look as good as the last one and any possible story possibilities were explored in the original 12 eps. Not that I ever expected a mobile game to get a good anime. Shingeki no Bahamut S01 was clearly an accident. 5/10

Only Mugen no Juunin: Immortal goes on for me as I apparently hate myself. 4/10
So are: BoJack Horseman, Deathstroke: Knights & Dragons, Harley Quinn, Steven Universe Future, The Simpsons (trash) and Teen Titans Go.

I lastly sat down and cleaned up the interesting looking anime films of 2019 outside of Dragon Quest: Your Story (soon on Netflix) and Lupin III: The First. Eiga no Osomatsu-san and Kimi to, Nami ni Noretara were the only ones I actually liked but even they were too formulaic.
Lupin the IIIrd: Mine Fujiko no Uso, Ni no Kuni (set after the 1st game), Tenki no Ko and probably Kaijuu no Kodomo (based on the style over substance manga) are further ok. A meh/10 year for anime films.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

I watched Zero as my first entry into Fate. I really enjoyed it. I've actually watched it all twice now.

If you want to continue after that the FSN Heaven's Feel movies are also really good (part 3 of 3 out later this year). The only problem is FSN is divided into 3 "routes" and Heaven's Feel is the last one. The anime for the first route is shit (from what I hear) and the second route is average, but watchable. I ended up reading the visual novel for route 1, watching the anime for route 2 and am now waiting for the final movie for Heaven's Feel to come out.

Shouta

Despite trashing Fate a bit I do appreciate some of the concepts Nasu tried, especially with Unlimited Blade Works, but it really needed some editing and to bring a lot of those themes and concepts to the forefront within the story and plot itself. It's actually a problem with a lot of authors over in anime/games/light novels over there, spend too much time talking about it and not enough showing it.

Doom85

"The new anime will take place in 2020 and will feature an all-new story centering on Taichi Yagami when he is in his fifth year in elementary school."

Oh no, no, HELL NO, you motherfuckers ain't touching this shit. Just stop. Look, Adventure 01 may not be perfect, yes it had a lot of re-used animation, but damn it this was the first story-driven anime (so Pokemon which is largely episodic didn't count) I ever saw as a kid (not even knowing what anime was at the time). It was a really solid adventure series with a great cast of characters. Something like Fruits Basket needed a remake as the original anime only covered about 1/3 of the manga, but this is a whole other story.

Like, what would be appealing about this? I've only seen the first movie of Tri, but I at least got how that could be interesting, seeing where the characters were years later. But this? Oh boy, I get to see Tai learn how to become a leader AGAIN, Matt learn to work with others AGAIN, Izzy learn to pay more attention to his friends AGAIN, Mimi learn to face her fears AGAIN, Kari discover she is also a DigiDestined AGAIN (seriously, the plot synopsis makes it clear they're doing the whole "she's not with the others and finds out about Digimon later" again, so it's clear this story is going to be so rehashed), etc. "Thrilling".

I'd rather finally get around to watching my Season 3 and 4 DVD sets. Only saw the first two series back in the day but I was glad to hear they eventually moved on to new continuities and story ideas. But now it seems like Adventure 01 is all the anime studio cares about, sigh. Well, at least the upcoming Digimon Survive video game looks promising.

Sakura

Fate/Zero is just a prequel to FSN. It was made after the fact, and as such spoils stuff that is in FSN, and doesn't really do anything new. You aren't really supposed to watch Fate/Zero by itself.
Really if you are going to watch the Fate series, you should watch FSN and then Fate/Zero. Personally, I think Fate/Zero is kind of mediocre, like the rest of the stuff Urobuchi does. It's helped however, by using an already established setting and number of characters, and many people like it because it is "dark".
The thing with FSN is, it is based on a visual novel comprised of multiple routes. Each route gives you new information and completes the overall story, but an anime adaption of all the routes doesn't exist yet. You've got the first anime, which covers the first route of the game (mostly), but it aired 14 years ago, and isn't considered the best adaption. There is the second anime series which covers the second route of the game, which is very high quality and is done by the same studio which did Fate/Zero, and then there is an adaption of the third and final route which is being done in 3 movies with the third movie out this year.

The ideal watching order is the 2006 FSN anime, Unlimited Blade Works (the anime of the second route), the movies, and then Fate/Zero. If you don't want to watch that much, you could just try watching UBW and see if it is your kind of thing.
You could try watching Fate/Zero first, but again, if you decide you want to watch more FSN after the fact, then you will already have had relatively large portions of the story spoiled, not to mention the tone is different which might be somewhat jarring.

I have a question regarding the Gintama series on Hulu. I want to start it from the beginning, and it says S1, E1, but is that true? When I looked into collecting Gintama recently, I remember it being only Series 3 or something already. It Hulu really Season 1? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I have a question regarding the Gintama series on Hulu. I want to start it from the beginning, and it says S1, E1, but is that true? When I looked into collecting Gintama recently, I remember it being only Series 3 or something already. It Hulu really Season 1? Thanks for the help.
Hulu has it from the beginning. If I’m not mistaken they have the first 49 episodes

Gintama is 367 episodes total

Fbh

The Code Geass movies was pretty fun. Nothing amazing, and to some degree I think it diminishes the ending of the show a bit, but still a fun ride and it was nice seeing all of these characters again after so long,

Cutty Flam

Banned
Watched 9 episodes of One Piece today, a fair binge on my part, as I usually never watch more than a couple of episodes at most, in a day. Doesn't feel natural to sit or lie around for that long in the day without moving around, so I usually don't watch so many episodes in succession. But I plan on finishing this arc before the week is finished. So far so good, this is a good one!

And thanks to everyone clarifying the Fate series, I thought Fate/Zero was the original. Never knew it was the prequel made after Fate Stay/Night

Sakura

The Code Geass movies was pretty fun. Nothing amazing, and to some degree I think it diminishes the ending of the show a bit, but still a fun ride and it was nice seeing all of these characters again after so long,
I enjoyed it for what it was, but it felt like they had kind of written themselves into a corner regarding Lelouch. I want to see a full sequel, but I'm not really sure where they can go from here.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I can't wait to see the Deku vs Gentle fight in the My Hero Academia Festival Arc.

I hope they do a good job with it.

Kumomeme

fate zero is great...but for better 'immersion,' i recomend you watch fate stay night first as fate zero is prequel to it

Kumomeme

About to go on a One Piece binge yall

I'm on episode 752, the Straw Hats and all just arrived near Zou. I really enjoyed the filler arc beforehand, with the Silver Pirates lead by Bill. That was simple, but actually really well done, especially Luffy's finishing blow; extremely satisfying ending to it with Barto extending his invitation to Desire. It was better than the previous filler arc, where Caesar was abducted with Luffy and the fighting seal or whatever helped fight

But yeah, I'll have plenty of free time, so I'm fairly certain I'll knock out at least a dozen or so episodes on the low side of this week or so binge. I'll update after it's all said and done maybe

Without spoilers, like any detail at all plz, how did you guys enjoy the Zou arc if you had to rte it out of 100?

Zou arc is awesome...im manga reader... brace yourself for most awesome flashback ever

Cutty Flam

Banned
Zou arc is awesome...im manga reader... brace yourself for most awesome flashback ever
Loving this arc so far, can't wait to see what happens. It's a very well crafted arc, Zou...

Thinking about it, there has been so much that has happened in just the 13, maybe 14 episodes I've watched. The pacing is phenomenal, the content outstanding. I'm finding this to be one the funniest story arcs yet too lol

Garchu!

Cutty Flam

Banned
fate zero is great...but for better 'immersion,' i recomend you watch fate stay night first as fate zero is prequel to it
Thanks for the tip bruh, this is good because I highly value being immersed. It's a true sign of a great work, maybe even an extraordinary work. There have been times when I have played video games, namely, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, that I was so into the world and everything going on that it's almost as if you're 100% concentrated; like you're in the zone. Amazing feeling to have

I've re-watched after all those years Girl who leapt through time, and I have to say, it's one of my favourite movies ever. That ending though...
I really wish Chiaki would stay with Makoto. Damn you japanese brats and your bittersweet tastes ;p
But yeah, easily for me 10/10. Anything similar to this?

Top Bottom