Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 31 51.7%

• Total voters
Feb 13, 2012
Canada
The first Build Fighters is the best show in that sub-series though it still has problems. It really feels like they don't know how to capture the magic of the original.
Yeah the first was the best. I still enjoyed Try, but I didn't much care for Sekai. I liked how in Build Fighters there was just as much focus on the actual building of the gunpla being important and the ideas they would come up with, as there was with the piloting skill. The dynamic between Reiji and Sei was good. I didn't like Try's nonsense martial arts.
I'll keep trying Divers for a bit, but from what I've seen so far it's way too much about this nonsense MMO than actually building gunpla and competing.

Sep 17, 2011

Just finish watching Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days as I am going through the Patlabor movie timeline and a great way to get into this series for the 1st time. Some quick impression from watching this OVA.

The beginning half of the OVA have a comedic tone in the episode which kinda bring out a bit more of all of the characters in the show. You will start to learn quickly everyone in the show and their personalities. As this is more comedic, the situations the Special Vehicle Division 2 have to go through are funny to watch and they is an episode which is basically Godzilla spoof which is fun to watch. The 2nd half is where thing get very serious in the OVA where a terrorist attack is going to happen in Japan and the Special Vehicle Division 2 will need to find a way to stop it from happening. A very interesting arch which is worth the watch when you see how the division have to find a way to get around the issue they're in and still try to found out more of the incident and how to stop it.

The show is very different in what we tend to see in most Mecha show at the time. This is basically a every day life of a cop (or a police division) fighting crime in everyday Japan and have to go through the typical police procedure only this time, they're using Patlabor to combat other labors. You notice this also in the characters in the show. As this OVA have some serious and light humor episodes, you got to see in full colorful cast in the OVA which is actually a big strength as you got to love everyone (even Gotou who have this silent individual tone but got to open up in the serious arch in the OVA).

The animation artstyle (which is over 30 years old) for this OVA still look good and age quite well. The work they put in this OVA is noticeable from the Patlabor mech, to the character animation and movement to the background scene is design well from this hand drawn work.

Overall, a great OVA which is fun to watch and a great starting point for the Patlabor franchises.

Dec 3, 2018
I just picked up the Patlabor Ultimate Blu Ray set myself. I'm only two episodes into the OVA because I'm also splitting my time between Xabungle and Ideon (which I'm told may be the best giant robot anime ever), but I really liked what I saw. I love 80s anime. It just has this sort of cyberpunk-ness to it that really has a gritty realness to the mecha. Same with VOTOMS. It's a real contrast to Xabungle, where the mechs are driven with steering wheels and the characters keep falling out of the cockpits while performing wrestling moves on each other. And there's no way Dai-Guard wasn't influenced by Patlabor. The pitch meeting was probably "It's Mazinger Z, but Patlabor"

Sep 17, 2012
Waiting for a Region 2 version of Patlabor too. German release is not as good and French one is only on DVD. One of a kind series too, have not seen anything like it afterwards.

Wherever Mamoru Oshii is involved in sci-fi anime, it simply has to be good. Hope he gets involved even as an advisor in GITS SAC III. Nowadays he seems semi-retired regarding anime productions. Another blow. Too bad that the work he is most known for, Cerberus saga, had very little coverage in anime (Jin-Roh movie).

I am also currently rewatching the 2 GITS SAC TV series on BD and after that I'll rewatch the BD of Ergo Proxy. I think previous decade was probably the best ever for sci-fi and anime in general. Except GITS there were also Texhnolyze and Ergo Proxy. Sorta like the PS2 era for anime.

That level of writing and pacing is only to be found in sci-fi movies nowadays and usually rarely. Quality dropped so much that series like Stein's Gate became the best, which would be just OK when compared to the above series.

Sep 17, 2011
I just picked up the Patlabor Ultimate Blu Ray set myself. I'm only two episodes into the OVA because I'm also splitting my time between Xabungle and Ideon (which I'm told may be the best giant robot anime ever), but I really liked what I saw. I love 80s anime. It just has this sort of cyberpunk-ness to it that really has a gritty realness to the mecha. Same with VOTOMS. It's a real contrast to Xabungle, where the mechs are driven with steering wheels and the characters keep falling out of the cockpits while performing wrestling moves on each other. And there's no way Dai-Guard wasn't influenced by Patlabor. The pitch meeting was probably "It's Mazinger Z, but Patlabor"
Wish you luck in the OVA as it's actually a great starting point to get into the Patlabor series as it isn't very long. Note: they're actually two timelines from the Patlabor franchise. You don't really have to follow it but it's actually better to watch it this way based on what people have posted.

Movie Timeline: Mobile Police Patlabor: Early Days (7 episodes) --> Patlabor: The Movie --> WXIII: Patlabor the Movie 3 --> Patlabor 2: The Movie

TV Timeline: Patlabor: The TV Series (47 episodes) --> Patlabor: The New Files (16 episodes)

I do have to say Patlabor is very different of what you tend to see in most Mecha anime at the time and even now and this unique is what make is stand out from other show. For something that is basically a everyday police life with the typical stuff they have to do in they job to mecha which isn't flashy and the best weapon it have is a shotgun or a pistol, you think this type of show will fail but it didn't. I did post why in the impression but the quick summary come down to a very favorable character development which you got to see them how they react in the each episodes. Either way, do hope you like the OVA and move on to the movie or the TV series.

Waiting for a Region 2 version of Patlabor too. German release is not as good and French one is only on DVD. One of a kind series too, have not seen anything like it afterwards.

Wherever Mamoru Oshii is involved in sci-fi anime, it simply has to be good. Hope he gets involved even as an advisor in GITS SAC III. Nowadays he seems semi-retired regarding anime productions. Another blow. Too bad that the work he is most known for, Cerberus saga, had very little coverage in anime (Jin-Roh movie).

I am also currently rewatching the 2 GITS SAC TV series on BD and after that I'll rewatch the BD of Ergo Proxy. I think previous decade was probably the best ever for sci-fi and anime in general. Except GITS there were also Texhnolyze and Ergo Proxy. Sorta like the PS2 era for anime.

That level of writing and pacing is only to be found in sci-fi movies nowadays and usually rarely. Quality dropped so much that series like Stein's Gate became the best, which would be just OK when compared to the above series.
Mamoru Oshii works are very interesting even if they is some faults in some of his works he did whether in anime or live action. Even with those not so good one, it's still interesting to watch. As for sci-fi anime quality, I do notice this a lot now and kinda stop looking into the newer one and try to find the old one which I heard good things about. Not saying they're not many good recent Sci-fi anime but they're few and far between.

Will post soon of my impression of the Patlabor the Movie as I just finish watching it and love it quite a bit. So many things to discuss about this movie but will post it later once I can input my though about it.

Sep 17, 2012
Mamoru Oshii works are very interesting even if they is some faults in some of his works he did whether in anime or live action. Even with those not so good one, it's still interesting to watch. As for sci-fi anime quality, I do notice this a lot now and kinda stop looking into the newer one and try to find the old one which I heard good things about. Not saying they're not many good recent Sci-fi anime but they're few and far between.

Will post soon of my impression of the Patlabor the Movie as I just finish watching it and love it quite a bit. So many things to discuss about this movie but will post it later once I can input my though about it.
I really wished his Blood the Last Vampire novel adaptation was adapted to a movie too. He turned a cheap horror plotline into a deep political conspiracy thriller. Patlabor 2 movie is perhaps the best anime movie I've seen in this regard.

Sep 17, 2011

Synopsis
The year is 1999 and Tokyo's Mobile Police have a new weapon in the war on crime—advanced robots called Labors are used to combat criminals who would use the new technology for illegal means. The suicide of a mysterious man on the massive Babylon Project construction site sets off a cascade of events that may signal the destruction of Tokyo.

Just finish watching the 1st movie from this franchise and have to say it's actually a well done movie with a very good story to back it up. Some of this is the OVA have already release before the movie came out in the market which flesh out all the characters in the show and the movie just continue where it left off. Even so, the Patlabor movie is well scripted and you notice this a lot in the storyline it's telling you as you're watching the movie. You got to thank this a bit toward the work of Oshii Mamoru and Headgear as they generally well known to written and directed extremely well from their work.

As for the storyline, You saw someone commit suicide from a location. After this incident, a notice spike of mysterious malfunction labor just go out of control, and it's up to the members of the Special Vehicle Division 2 to try to found out what is causing the problems. At first you found out it might be something wrong with the new operating system upgrade but it actually go deeper and they is quite a bit of a connection between the suicide victim and the labor and how it was trigger from the operating system he produce. All of this are told gradually between the dialogue with the characters in and incident happen in the movie. It's very well done and you don't feel like the director is trying to pump this into you right upfront but in a pace when you start to understand the situation naturally as you follow the characters in the movie. Think like a slow burning fuse, with many twists and turns throwing events in a new direction as you follow the story.

As this movie tone is more serious, you don't tend to see the light humor from the OVA where you start to know the characters. It's more dialogue and plot heavy. I didn't feel this as a negative as it actually keep me interested of the situation the Special Vehicle Division 2 of trying to found of the issue. They is battle scene of labor fighting but it's far few and it's only there to push the story forward and for the big climax at the end which is expected.

As for the animation side, it still look amazing for an almost 30 years old movie. The hand animation design sill look amazing and if you own the Blu Ray set, it look much nicer to watch in HD. As for the music soundtrack, it work quite well to push the tone of the scene quite well. The big one is the final battle climax which push the tension quite a bit.

They're many more I can discuss of this movie which I think you have already heard about. All I can say this movie give me a very positive impression of Patlabor and if you want more of the serious tone like you see in the 2nd half of the OVA, you will love this quite a bit.

Jun 6, 2004
The Patlabor movies are really great for meaty and action it can present at times but the real star is the TV series and New Files OVA. It's the perfect blend of work comedy, action, and a bit of slice of life along with great development for all of its characters. There's a reason why Gotoh was my avatar for so long.