• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

John Blade

Huge Patlabor fan here. The TV show and the the Mamoru Oshii OVAs and films are incredible. Apparently there's a new project in the works and I can't wait to hear more about it.

I do know they did the live action Patlabor series and movie under The Next Generation: Patlabor which I need to find to watch one day when I finish the movie and TV Series.

John Blade

gokusen.jpg

Synopsis
Kumiko Yamaguchi is smart, enthusiastic, and ready to start her dream job as a math teacher at Shirokin Academy. But as her first day opens on atrocious students and cowering teachers, Kumiko realizes that the all-boys high school is a cesspool of delinquents with no intention of improving themselves.

However, what her rowdy students don't know is that behind her dorky facade, Kumiko is the acting head of a powerful yakuza clan, and she has the skills to prove it! Capable of overpowering even the strongest of gangsters in seconds, Kumiko must keep her incredible strength and criminal influence a secret in order to keep her job. Unfortunately, with the vice principal constantly trying to get her fired and Shin Sawada, the leader of her class of delinquents, suspecting she's stronger than she lets on, Kumiko has a difficult teaching career ahead of her.

Watching Gokusen (the animated show) feel like I am watching so many similar show which try this formula so many time with mix resulted. This big one which did quite well (as an animated show) is G.T.O which almost all of the people who watch anime have already heard about this or already watch the show (or read the manga or go watch the live action one) and love it dearly. Gokusen is basically a G.T.O lite with a PG ratting as this is a cleaner, more superficial version without the darker subject topic you found on G.T.O (abuse, horniest talk, risk of death, etc).

The main storyline has been done before in so many anime over the years and Gokusen isn't really follow the same formula. They're some minor difference like the talking dog and the MC, Kumiko, is actually a head of the yakuza clan, but other than that, it follow the same fromula. Most of the episodes just focus on a students and their trouble while the teacher will teach and help them overcome their issues and the students start to be a bit smarter by the end of the episode.

Animation wise, it feel generic. Nothing great at all to be honest. Very little detail of the work and really didn't push much in animation wise. Fight scene is okay I have to say as a positive. This is the same issue with the music of the show. Very generic and nothing really catch my attention when watching the show.

As for the character development, majority of the characters are high students and they're the typical tough high school bully which you tend to hate them. They'll begin to grow hearts and have personalities just enough to like them a bit. Even with this, only the two MC duos are more interesting over the other characters which is kinda sad as you can see potential between them but this show didn't do much and kinda end it near the end.

Even with this flaw and issue I say about this show, it's still a fun show to watch. Like almost every show which try to go through this formula, it have enough stuff to keep the show entertaining from beginning to end. But don't expect this show to compete against G.TO.

It's kinda disappointing as I heard the manga is actually very good read and the live action drama TV shows and movie is actually good adaption. Might be wise to go watch the Live action drama show or stick with the manga for Gokusen as they're much better over the TV show. If you want those similar show, just stick with G.T.O as it did it much better over Gokusen and it's recommend to watch that show if you never watch it yet. For Gokusen anime, avoid it unless you want something to play on the background.

Kumiko-Yamaguchi-from-Gokusen.jpg
gokusen-ep1-fuhgeddaboutit.jpg

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Fbh

Mob went full generic shonen in that last episode. There's was so much talk of friendship you half expect to see the Fairy Tail cast appear at any moment
Anyway, the final will probably be fun

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Mob went full generic shonen in that last episode. There's was so much talk of friendship you half expect to see the Fairy Tail cast appear at any moment
Anyway, the final will probably be fun
Doesn't matter because when the animation is that good the story can be handled by Kubo and I'd still watch it.

petran79

Banned
Wanted to watch Gamba no Bouken for years and now they fansub it from BD. This series today would be nightmare fuel for most kids. All carnivore animals are depicted as bloodthirsty red eyed demons. I guess mice would view them this way.
Characters suffer,get wounded and die in a very dramatic day. Those visuals would be straight out of a 70s horror movie.
Yet I find it infinitely better than most filtered cartoon adventure series of today.
I like also the blending of working class urban and rural environments with the daily lifes of people.As if the story would take place inside Ashita no Joe. And I havent even reached the part where they arrive in the weasel's islands.
Plenty of comedy and humor add to the mix too.
The 70s were the best of O. Dezaki. After this I'll rewatch Remy Sans Famille,in BD this time. Those visuals are one of a kind.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

This is the Chinese game that got an anime
I like the designs DEATH TO KANCOLLE

FUCK YEAH AMERICA

Last edited by a moderator:

John Blade

There’s one more anime I saw a couple of months back, but I forgot the name.🤦‍♂️

Do you know when it was release in Japan or is it based on the Manga? I am not into newer anime but if it's a very popular anime movie which everyone talking about, I might have heard of it.

CyberPanda

Banned
Do you know when it was release in Japan or is it based on the Manga? I am not into newer anime but if it's a very popular anime movie which everyone talking about, I might have heard of it.
It’s about an immortal girl who lives amongst her kind in a village. And, after her village gets invaded, she escapes and comes across a baby that she ends up raising. I don’t want to say more cause I don’t want to spoil it.

John Blade

It’s about an immortal girl who lives amongst her kind in a village. And, after her village gets invaded, she escapes and comes across a baby that she ends up raising. I don’t want to say more cause I don’t want to spoil it.

Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms?

Mista

Banned
JoJo have been great. I’m really glad that part 5 got a good adaptation too. I read the manga so I know what happens but ITS STILL FUN!

kingbean

Been bored at work and started My Hero Academia on comixolgy on my ipad. I bought volume 1 and enjoyed it then volume 2 then 3 and then just bought up to 10.

It's a fun read.

I can't believe the JoJo subbers went out of their way to erase B.I.G. from the screen and writte CHASE. This is reaching Brock's jelly doughnuts levels. I get why they had to do that but it's hilarious.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe the JoJo subbers went out of their way to erase B.I.G. from the screen and writte CHASE. This is reaching Brock's jelly doughnuts levels. I get why they had to do that but it's hilarious.
Wait for the bd for better subs.
Hopefully anime ends better than Kancolle anime.
That shouldn't be too hard. Kancolle is getting a S2 this year as well though.

NahaNago

Well I recently bought and watched the My Hero Academia movie and M.F.K.Z. The academia hero was alright but was expecting it to look better visually. It lacked a bit of emotional impact near the end, the one piece movies seem to do that better. M.F.K.Z. was great to watch the only thing that irked me was the words they would print on the screen and then read out loud( I think I remember them reading it). Those written words would destroy the momentum of the movie. I liked the weirdness of the visuals and it doesn't go too crazy at the same time with it. Next up for now is to finish up those Initial D movies. I tend to pretty much just buy anime movies these days instead of series.

petran79

Banned

I'll watch the series from the unofficial fansubs, especially after part 3

petran79

Banned
Had no idea Sherlock Hound was remastered for Blueray. First time watching it, it kinda feels like old Lupin III with steampunk settings and anthropomorphic animals. Miyazaki and some other ghibili animators were involved as well. Some of the best animation I've seen. Truly cinematic.

Can someone explain what the Jojo change was in detail?

Almost all Jojo special abilities (Stands) are named after western songs, albums, or music artists. In this case, the Stand was named Notorious B.I.G. but got changed to Notorious Chase to avoid licensing concerns. The name was written out on a wall, and got changed on it.

manfestival

Just finished the last episode of s2 mob psycho 100. It was such a great episode!!! This episode was such a roller coaster of emotions in the best way. I don't often feel like a kid watching anime but this, OPM, and my hero academia seem to really do that to me.

The whole season on the other hand, it was a decent season but there was just too much slice of life stuff that felt like filler content for the real stuff to take place in the last like 4-5 episodes. However, when the real storyline finally kicked in... the show really shined.
Overall the season felt like 7/10 when it could have easily been a 9/10. The last few episodes of the show were fantastic and 9/10 for sure.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I really enjoyed this season of Sword Art Online: Alicization. The story was more interesting that I was expecting and the animation was really well done too. Plus the villain was a lot better than past villains and you had awesome characters like Eugeo & Alice. It's going to be a long wait until October when it continues.

rivv3r

Banned
Holy fucking hell, I don't think I've ever seen an anime that genuinely pissed me off more than Shield Hero because of the actions of some of the characters.

Well I recently bought and watched the My Hero Academia movie and M.F.K.Z. The academia hero was alright but was expecting it to look better visually. It lacked a bit of emotional impact near the end, the one piece movies seem to do that better. M.F.K.Z. was great to watch the only thing that irked me was the words they would print on the screen and then read out loud( I think I remember them reading it). Those written words would destroy the momentum of the movie. I liked the weirdness of the visuals and it doesn't go too crazy at the same time with it. Next up for now is to finish up those Initial D movies. I tend to pretty much just buy anime movies these days instead of series.
Smart move. I hate buying series and having a horded back catalog.

rivv3r

Banned
Do you mean everyone that is out to get Naofumi?

Pretty much, yeah.

Between Malty and the Spear Hero needing a painful death, and soon, to the other heroes blindly 'listening and believing' to Malty who they know cheated in the 1v1 duel and lied about it. At least the Sword Hero seems like he might stop being a stupid asshole.

I genuinely hate those characters.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Pretty much, yeah.

Between Malty and the Spear Hero needing a painful death, and soon, to the other heroes blindly 'listening and believing' to Malty who they know cheated in the 1v1 duel and lied about it. At least the Sword Hero seems like he might stop being a stupid asshole.

I genuinely hate those characters.
Sword Hero and Bow Hero called Malty out and interrupted the King's nonsense after the duel. Where are you getting "listening and believing" from?

rivv3r

Banned
Sword Hero and Bow Hero called Malty out and interrupted the King's nonsense after the duel. Where are you getting "listening and believing" from?

I'm talking about the latest episode.

Where they blindly believe the King/Malty in the claim that Melty (princesses names are too similar) was abducted. Then Malty claims the Shieldbro can brainwash people and the Swordbro immediately demands proof that it doesn't have that ability, and still demands Melty be turned over despite her flat out saying she willingly went with Shieldbro for protection.

Last edited:

Trojita

Where they blindly believe the King/Malty in the claim that Melty (princesses names are too similar) was abducted. Then Malty claims the Shieldbro can brainwash people and the Swordbro immediately demands proof that it doesn't have that ability, and still demands Melty be turned over despite her flat out saying she willingly went with Shieldbro for protection.
Oh thought you still meant the duel. I've yet to watch the new episode, gonna be watching it when I get home.

Shouta

Series is doing its job making you pissed off at the Bow and Sword heroes, lol. The author has said that if you flipped the point of view around, the positions of the other heroes and their actions make a lot of sense though.

Trojita

Oh now that I've seen the episode it makes sense why the Sword and Bow hero believed the King/Malty, it's because of the Church of the 3 Heroes doctored footage of the "abduction". Melty saying she willingly went with Shield Hero could be chalked up to "brainwashing".

John Blade

Synopsis
Due to his love for small, cute things, Souta Takanashi cannot turn childlike Popura Taneshima down when she recruits him to work for Wagnaria, a family restaurant located in Hokkaido. Takanashi takes particular joy in doting on the older Popura, which only fuels her complex over how young she looks. He also quickly learns he must stay on his toes once he meets the rest of his colleagues, including the katana-wielding floor chief Yachiyo Todoroki, the intimidating head chef Jun Satou, the dangerously well-informed and subtly sadistic sous chef Hiroomi Souma, the adamantly lazy manager Kyouko Shirafuji, and the waitress Mahiru Inami who has a "painful" fear of men.

Powered by an eccentric cast, Working!! is a unique workplace comedy that follows the never-dull happenings within the walls of Wagnaria as Takanashi and his co-workers' quirky personalities combine to create non-stop antics, shenanigans, and hilarity.

Just taking my time finishing watching Wagnaria season 2 on and off and as a show which is known as a filler series (or a slice of life anime for others), it's actually very enjoyable to watch if you need something to watch over other animated show or you don't want to any plot heavy show. Like season 1, you have all of the characters in the family restaurant but this time some new additional characters came in this season. Those new characters do build up a bit of the story/characters plot but nothing too major. In a way, it help build up much more in the characters story arch which help expand some of the characters development quite a bit. It continued quite a bit of running gags from season 1 which do give me some chuckle when I watching it and if you love them in the 1st season, you should like it here (don't know if they can keep on pushing the same running gags for season 3 and it will get tiring quickly).

Not much to say for the story of Wagnaria as they isn't really much different from the 1st season which is basically Takanashi goes to work at a family restaurant where you see other characters in the show. Not saying it's bad but more like you won't really following for it now. Still, it's a very entertaining show to watch if you want something which is very easy to watch. If you like Wagnaria 1st season, you will like this show. Also, a much catchy intro OP which is better than the 1st season intro OP.

NOTE: As people here just told me, they is another show from this series called www.wagnaria !! which look like another spin off of the same series but the North American Blu Ray release for this series is literally $70 USD for 7 episodes each volume and they is 2 volumes total. Just crazy and kinda remind me back the good old days where getting an Anime show you love for DVD might consist of multi DVD sets which cost isn't going to be cheap unlike now where a TV show tend to be in one DVD/Blu Ray set. Don't know if I will go watch it yet let alone buy this show.
tenor.gif
1b9.gif
d76.gif
original.gif
giphy.gif
3k2ecMO.gif

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Season 3 wraps up nicely though. Try the spin off with the different crew. I enjoyed that more. nyaa

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Also if you really hate yourself and want to watch more waitress type anime then this is for you!

I'm looking forward to Bocchi and We Can't Study this season.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
NSFW

Also they killed a great manga where a girl doesn't even talk but she does in the anime with meh art and this anime about fucking your teacher because based Abe. Featuring totally not teacher autistic 2B. TV shorts.

John Blade

Season 3 wraps up nicely though. Try the spin off with the different crew. I enjoyed that more. nyaa

Will keep this in mind when watching season 3 later on. I will look into the spin off later on when I manage to buy the blu ray as a much lower price.

Also if you really hate yourself and want to watch more waitress type anime then this is for you!

I'm looking forward to Bocchi and We Can't Study this season.

I think I have enough waitress anime for now. Also, now I know which show have that into OP. I see too many meme of that intro scene too many time on YouTube.

Welp, off I go to watch Appleseed (aka: the better one)
44174004_1922360841173022_6976919839408748689_n.jpg

Last edited:

Fbh

Man that Mob finale was pretty boring. The last third of the season in general (when it went full shonen) had amazing animation but was otherwise quite bad

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Why are there 2 baseball anime shows this season?

gokusen.jpg

Synopsis
Kumiko Yamaguchi is smart, enthusiastic, and ready to start her dream job as a math teacher at Shirokin Academy. But as her first day opens on atrocious students and cowering teachers, Kumiko realizes that the all-boys high school is a cesspool of delinquents with no intention of improving themselves.

However, what her rowdy students don't know is that behind her dorky facade, Kumiko is the acting head of a powerful yakuza clan, and she has the skills to prove it! Capable of overpowering even the strongest of gangsters in seconds, Kumiko must keep her incredible strength and criminal influence a secret in order to keep her job. Unfortunately, with the vice principal constantly trying to get her fired and Shin Sawada, the leader of her class of delinquents, suspecting she's stronger than she lets on, Kumiko has a difficult teaching career ahead of her.

Watching Gokusen (the animated show) feel like I am watching so many similar show which try this formula so many time with mix resulted. This big one which did quite well (as an animated show) is G.T.O which almost all of the people who watch anime have already heard about this or already watch the show (or read the manga or go watch the live action one) and love it dearly. Gokusen is basically a G.T.O lite with a PG ratting as this is a cleaner, more superficial version without the darker subject topic you found on G.T.O (abuse, horniest talk, risk of death, etc).

The main storyline has been done before in so many anime over the years and Gokusen isn't really follow the same formula. They're some minor difference like the talking dog and the MC, Kumiko, is actually a head of the yakuza clan, but other than that, it follow the same fromula. Most of the episodes just focus on a students and their trouble while the teacher will teach and help them overcome their issues and the students start to be a bit smarter by the end of the episode.

Animation wise, it feel generic. Nothing great at all to be honest. Very little detail of the work and really didn't push much in animation wise. Fight scene is okay I have to say as a positive. This is the same issue with the music of the show. Very generic and nothing really catch my attention when watching the show.

As for the character development, majority of the characters are high students and they're the typical tough high school bully which you tend to hate them. They'll begin to grow hearts and have personalities just enough to like them a bit. Even with this, only the two MC duos are more interesting over the other characters which is kinda sad as you can see potential between them but this show didn't do much and kinda end it near the end.

Even with this flaw and issue I say about this show, it's still a fun show to watch. Like almost every show which try to go through this formula, it have enough stuff to keep the show entertaining from beginning to end. But don't expect this show to compete against G.TO.

It's kinda disappointing as I heard the manga is actually very good read and the live action drama TV shows and movie is actually good adaption. Might be wise to go watch the Live action drama show or stick with the manga for Gokusen as they're much better over the TV show. If you want those similar show, just stick with G.T.O as it did it much better over Gokusen and it's recommend to watch that show if you never watch it yet. For Gokusen anime, avoid it unless you want something to play on the background.

Kumiko-Yamaguchi-from-Gokusen.jpg
gokusen-ep1-fuhgeddaboutit.jpg

giphy.gif

I watched that once back in 2014 and yeah, I found it to be pretty dull and I barely remember anything about it.

On an interesting note though, the English dub actress for Yamaguchi is one of the guests at a convention I'll be attending in just over a week.

Top Bottom