• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

NahaNago

mhca9go.png

Fuck you Gaen

Such an evil picture and I know nothing about the anime.

Last edited:

rivv3r

Banned
I'm such a sucker for isekai (and I realize most of them are garbage.) We've got Kenjo no Mago starting in a few days

A young man who had surely died in an accident, was reborn in another world as a baby! After that, he was picked up by the patriot hero "Sage" Merlin Wolford and was given the name Shin. He was raised as a grandson by Merlin and soaked up Merlin's teachings, earning him some shocking powers; however, when he became 15, his grandfather Merlin said, "I forgot to teach him common sense!"

and then Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou coming in the Summer

Seventeen-year-old Hajime Nagumo is your average, everyday otaku. However, his simple life of pulling all-nighters and sleeping in school is suddenly turned upside down when he, along with the rest of his class, is summoned to a fantasy world! They're treated like heroes and tasked with the duty of saving the human race from utter extinction. But what should have been any otaku's wet dream quickly turns into Hajime's nightmare. While the rest of his class are blessed with godlike powers, Hajime's job, Synergist, only has a single transmutation skill. Ridiculed and bullied by his classmates for being weak, he soon finds himself in despair. Will he be able to survive in this dangerous world of monsters and demons with only a glorified blacksmith's level of strength?

And, of course, we can't forget Isekai Quartet which also starts in a few days (this is the one that combines characters from Tanya, Re:Zero, Konosuba, and Overlord.)

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Arifureta is the one where the mc fucks the loli right?
Deviant

rivv3r

Banned
Arifureta is the one where the mc fucks the loli right?
Deviant

I have no idea about the source material and only found out about the anime through one of Gigguk's videos. I don't read LN or manga, though I only watch subbed versions of anime which isn't much different (except the pictures move.)

NahaNago

I'm such a sucker for isekai (and I realize most of them are garbage.) We've got Kenjo no Mago starting in a few days

and then Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou coming in the Summer

And, of course, we can't forget Isekai Quartet which also starts in a few days (this is the one that combines characters from Tanya, Re:Zero, Konosuba, and Overlord.)

kenjo no mago is fun. It was good in the beginning with the no common sense portion but they get away from that fairly quickly in the story. I'm not sure if that was the novel or the manga I got that from. The Arifureta from what I remember I did like at the beginning but the character became too overpowered too quickly. Plus I got burnt out on the harem in Arifureta. I've been reading more of these Chinese world transportation stories but they tend to either move on pretty quickly from the past life or have a cheat that reminds them every day that they are from another world. The one isekai that I've been reading lately simply because it is too cute is Isekai Yururi Kikou ~Raising Children While Being an Adventurer~. The description from novel updates is

『I’m terribly sorry』
A god was suddenly prostrating in front of Kayano Takumi. He was apparently killed by mistake. Moreover, he can’t be reborn again. However, he is able to live in a different world? Then, let’s do that, please. The god made a mistake again and transferred me into a dangerous forest. Seriously, what’s going on? Besides, there are children here. I can’t leave them here, I will take care of them.

Last edited:

John Blade

MV5BNjhjMDRkNjgtYmQ2Yi00YWUwLWI2MDEtOWI2ODNiZWE5YzUwL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_.jpg

Synopsis
Appleseed takes place in the aftermath of World War III, where the General Management Control Office has constructed the experimental city known as Olympus. Built to be a paradise on Earth, Olympus is inhabited by humans, cyborgs, and bioroids (genetically engineered humans designed for increased physical capabilities and decreased emotional capabilities). Bioroids run and control all of the administrative functions of Olympus, ensuring that the city remains the utopian society it was meant to be for all of its citizens. But for some people living in Utopia, the city has become less of a home and more of a cage.

Police officer Calon Mautholos has grown to despise Olympus following his wife's suicide, blaming her death on the lack of creative freedom caused by the rules binding the citizens of the city. As his hatred for the city grows, Calon conspires with the terrorist A.J. Sebastian to destroy the Legislature of the Central Management Bureau to send the rules of Olympus that killed his wife tumbling down. But when Calon discovers it is not political malcontent, but rather hatred for bioroids that motives Sebastian, Calon turns renegade and gains the attention of city officials. Deunan Knute and her partner Briareos of the ESWAT counter-terrorism unit are dispatched to hunt down and stop Calon and Sebastian... by any means necessary!

Just go through this movie as it's in my collection backlogged for a while now. After finished watching this movie, the 1st thing I question about this OVA is whether or not it need more than 1 episodes as it feel like it can be better with more episodes. Just from what I watch, it's really bland and lack of magic which make this OVA very forgettable. As of now, the plot of the OVA is a bit generic. Terrorists trying to bring down the Utopian society of Olympus so what left of the humanity doesn't become like a caged animal. Nothing special and do give you enough to push the story forward.

For the character development, it's a bit generic with some minor backstory for the two main characters (Deunan Knute and Briareos) and one of the villain (Calon Mautholos) from flash back scene to dialogue from conversation of other characters in the show. You found out a bit more of Calon side and his reason of what he did and some more info of Deunan. As for the other villain in the OVA, they isn't really much development of him and just made him the big bad guy with skills but it didn't developed as much and his conclusion is kinda disappointed as he was build up (literally) to be in this monster mech.

Animation design is also generic and bland. Nothing really stand out and it do have this generic 80s anime feel look. Also, the character or the mech animation quality are mixed. Sometime, you notice the amount of detail on certain characters while other, it's very simple. The animation of the Mech battle scene are okay to watch and workable but it isn't something I can say amazing for it's time. Also, as I am watching the Manga Entertainment North American DVD released (Discotek is releasing this OVA in DVD by the end of this month), it look like a VHS quality slapped onto the DVD as color of the animation have this lighter look.

Overall, I do feel like this OVA can do a bit more better if it have more than one episodes to try to develop better in the plot and character side. But what we get is this generic feel show which is very forgettable for more people who watch animated show. The only reason it might be pick up now is the CGI animation series Appleseed which released in 2004 which I think people who love Appleseed CGI series might want to check this OVA out.

Unless you're a fan of Masamune Shirow's work or a big fans of Appleseed, avoid this OVA as you're not really missing much and maybe look at Dominion Tank Police series which is much more fun to watch over this (and it's also Masamune Shirow's work).

MV5BMmU5M2JiYWMtYWYzNC00NzE3LWExZTktOTBiOTE2MDJhMGVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg
MV5BNzY5NjFjOWItYTkyZC00MTA0LWE5MWYtN2I2ZTA0MzM4OTBmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_.jpg
MV5BNTJhYWExMWYtZmJiOC00MmRmLTg2MDEtM2FiOTczNWJjNWQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_.jpg
MV5BMTA0NTI5MWItZDBjYS00YTJhLWI1NWEtYzg3MjI1OGYwMzM3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_.jpg
MV5BODQ4MjY2YjgtZWY0OC00NzM0LWFhYTYtMWNiZWQxMmRlM2YxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_.jpg

Mista

Banned
One Punch Man and Diamond no Ace begun. No to fight myself and wait until they all finish instead of watching weekly..

Labolas

Reading 20th Century Boys for the first time. And man, it's probably the best coming of age story I've read. It beats out stuff like It or Stranger Things. Almost every character has their own story. It's super immersive. I've been collecting the perfect collection edition. So it sucks waiting for the next volume to come out. This is easily up there with some of the best manga ever produced.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
true. I hadn't realized that at the time. It took a few more stories for it to click with me. I was still hoping for a bit more challenge since the story has a lot of action in it.
I would tell you to look forward to this

But they decided to go with the LN ugly ass design over the manga one for a "isekai" that is different. Also the cgi hurts my soul. I'd recommend the manga. You can purchase it everywhere as it has been published or read it online.

NahaNago

I would tell you to look forward to this

But they decided to go with the LN ugly ass design over the manga one for a "isekai" that is different. Also the cgi hurts my soul. I'd recommend the manga. You can purchase it everywhere as it has been published or read it online.

Yeah, that is quite ugly. I can't believe I forgot about it. I had read a bit of the novel and the manga and it is quite good or maybe I just haven't read far enough for it to become bad.

Shouta

Arifureta is pretty good through Vol 1, which is probably going to be 3-4 episodes in the anime. It shows the MC doing what he needs to survive and all that which is pretty compelling. Unfortunately, as soon as he leaves that situation, it just straight goes down hill from there with the MC being super OP and having a mega-harem.

Kenja no Mago is kinda similar, OP as fuck but no harem after the exploration of the world and its mechanics phase. He just has a pretty steady relationship with another character which is kinda nice.

When folks complain about Isekai being OP as hell, these are the types that come to mind, lol. It's pretty unfortunate too because there's a lot of other series where these things don't occur but they still get flack for it.

petran79

Banned
Watching the Hidive 1080p remaster of Urashiman. Back when anime used to invest in scifi series seriously. 3 episodes in and I really like the settings, the characters and the pace.
Now anime scifi genre is in a sorry state compared to this

Sakura

I wish there was more isekai like Rezero. It has its problems, but the protagonist never becomes OP (far from it) and it always manages to feel like the stakes are high, and does a good job creating tension.

Fbh

This new Netflix Ultraman show has reached levels of ugly where it's actively distracting.

Not only does it look like a low framerate Ps2 cinematic. But a ton of scene have noticeable aliasing, did they render this on a Switch?

Just started watching Tokyo Ghoul, done with the first season. Jesus, what a trip.

Kaneki turning from book nerd to emo boi in 12 episodes. I mean, I expected it, but still.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Rewatched 801 TTS Airbats a bit ago. Still really enjoy it. Kinda wish it was longer. Just relaxing good fun. Think I'll be rewatching Dominion Tank Police soon. I like that show. =)

John Blade

Rewatched 801 TTS Airbats a bit ago. Still really enjoy it. Kinda wish it was longer. Just relaxing good fun. Think I'll be rewatching Dominion Tank Police soon. I like that show. =)

Hope you like it. Love watching Dominion Tank Police. Have the funny arch in the beginning and get very serious and dark in the 2nd half of the OVA. Still a fun show and much better than Appleseed OVA I have watch not too long ago.

Anyone that have watched The Quintessential Quintuplets that can answer yes or no as to whether the protagonist ends up with Itsuki? I've just watched the first episode, so I want to know if it'll be worth watching, and my anime tropes senses are tingling and warning me that I'll end up disappointed.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Anyone that have watched The Quintessential Quintuplets that can answer yes or no as to whether the protagonist ends up with Itsuki? I've just watched the first episode, so I want to know if it'll be worth watching, and my anime tropes senses are tingling and warning me that I'll end up disappointed.
The manga isn't even finished.

The manga isn't even finished.

Ah, I assumed that since the anime was done, that it was a finished, especially with how the first episode framed it. Guess I'll have to wait until it's done until I'll get an answer for that. After being burned by so many cliched animes/mangas, I just don't want to bother investing until I know it's not going down that road.

Trojita

Ah, I assumed that since the anime was done, that it was a finished, especially with how the first episode framed it. Guess I'll have to wait until it's done until I'll get an answer for that. After being burned by so many cliched animes/mangas, I just don't want to bother investing until I know it's not going down that road.
Did you want him to Itsuki end up with Itsuki? Or was that your cliche ending?

Did you want him to Itsuki end up with Itsuki? Or was that your cliche ending?

I did not, because that would be the cliché. (i.e. first new girl he meets, initial antagonism, "new transfer student in class", and more signs that are typical for the genre)
Generally my hunches in regards to things like this are right. I called Nisekoi, I called Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend, I called Tenjou Tenge. Rarely do they ever deviate from the tell signs that'll allow you to predict the outcome from the start. Following those signs and reading the context and how the narration is portrayed, you'll easily predict most romance stories, especially in manga/anime. That's why I'm predicting Itsuki and considering Ichika the least likely choice. Itsuki is also the one sister that carries the focus in the first episode. Shoujo manga is also incredibly predictable, as there's a tendency to the "bad boy, who's actually kind and emotional once the female mc pierces his facade/shell".
It's okay with these plots being typical, but there's a point in which any excitement or sense of wonder completely dies out. That's without considering the general problem of main characters as well.

Trojita

I did not, because that would be the cliché. (i.e. first new girl he meets, initial antagonism, "new transfer student in class", and more signs that are typical for the genre)
Generally my hunches in regards to things like this are right. I called Nisekoi, I called Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend, I called Tenjou Tenge. Rarely do they ever deviate from the tell signs that'll allow you to predict the outcome from the start. Following those signs and reading the context and how the narration is portrayed, you'll easily predict most romance stories, especially in manga/anime. That's why I'm predicting Itsuki and considering Ichika the least likely choice. Itsuki is also the one sister that carries the focus in the first episode. Shoujo manga is also incredibly predictable, as there's a tendency to the "bad boy, who's actually kind and emotional once the female mc pierces his facade/shell".
It's okay with these plots being typical, but there's a point in which any excitement or sense of wonder completely dies out. That's without considering the general problem of main characters as well.
Yeah I understand what you mean. I figured from the outset he was going to end up with Itsuki too since she seemed like the main female character. I can describe how the manga goes for you. They aren't exactly huge spoilers, since we don't know who he ends up with.

The manga starts with MC trying to get each of the girls to trust him and to get them studying to pass their tests, but eventually it turns into the girls outright trying to be the one that MC ends up with (an earnest fight you don't really see in too many dumb harems). Only one of the girls doesn't seem to be in the fight, the energetic Yotsuba, but she's still a wild card. Nino (the fashionable one that hates him the most at the beginning) and Ichika (the short hair one) are playing the HARDEST to try and be the ones that Futaru chooses.

Yeah I understand what you mean. I figured from the outset he was going to end up with Itsuki too since she seemed like the main female character. I can describe how the manga goes for you. They aren't exactly huge spoilers, since we don't know who he ends up with.

I'd say Yotsuba has the better chance than those two, just on the basis on tropes and the first episode. There's after all the trope of the one not trying or the one standing out, being the one ending up with the person as well. That's usually the thing that's saved up for the "oh what a twist!" factor. Also, trying too hard is generally considered to decrease the likelihood of the character ending up with the person, unless it's a male mc or female mc that's doing it.

So reason I'm not wanting to delve into the series, is that I'm too burned out by crappy or boring romance developments. I've been burned too many times, whether by Nisekoi (which dragged on way too long for the kind of developments and ultimately the ending it had) or by Oreimo (
which should've ended up with sending his sister to counselling. Fuck that anime, I knew nothing about it, so the sudden incest turn in season 2 just turned me off completely. Just thought it was about two siblings reconnecting after being distant, added with japanese weirdness. And I don't even have anything against incest plots in stories, but at least do it right. Like Angel's Sanctuary. That manga does it right, it's clear from the start..
).

One of the few anime romance stories I've enjoyed has been White Album 2 and Say "I Love You". In general, the harem type of romance or general animes with harems, need to allow actual conflict and actual competition. People need to fucking hate each other at some point, they need to show how crappy AND how good they are. For all the bad one can say about School Days, it fucking delivered, even if it turned things up to 11. Makoto did absolutely nothing wrong! :messenger_smirking:

0eC7prl.jpg

Last edited:

John Blade

Welp, I am in the process to watch Patlabor The Movie II. Going to see how amazing this movie is based on people say here and online. Also, saw A slient Voice the movie in Blu Ray in wallmart for $20. Might consider to get it as I already read the manga and want to see it in animation.

Welp, I am in the process to watch Patlabor The Movie II. Going to see how amazing this movie is based on people say here and online. Also, saw A slient Voice the movie in Blu Ray in wallmart for $20. Might consider to get it as I already read the manga and want to see it in animation.
My local Wal Mart had blu-ray/dvd combos of Liz and the Blue Bird and A Silent Voice for $15.99! Decided to pick A SIlent Voice up.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
OPM deserves better than JC Staff. Holy fuck no.
Shitsuki is going to win. Even though Miku is best girl. Also this isn't a Shoujo manga either fam.
Kimetsu no Yaiba started well. I likey
I take it you haven't read the manga and are going in blind?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
"Shoujo manga is also incredibly predictable, as there's a tendency to the "bad boy, who's actually kind and emotional once the female mc pierces his facade/shell". "

"Shoujo manga is also incredibly predictable, as there's a tendency to the "bad boy, who's actually kind and emotional once the female mc pierces his facade/shell". "

That's completely unrelated to Quintuplets. So why say" this isn't a shoujo manga either". It says "shoujo manga is ALSO incredibly predictable".

Top Bottom