• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

BunzLee

Hey guys, maybe you can help me out. I'm struggling to find an anime I have seen in a YT video talking about the classical shonen trope, where it was basically compared to "Hero Academia with Magic". It looked pretty neat. Any idea what it's called or suggestions if it's worth my time? I have a soft spot for animes with over the top action, barely invicible main characters and only minor setbacks.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No my burger, I read the manga and loved it. Up to date with the manga too
Madman. After finishing up on another tragedy manga I dropped Kimetsu myself.
That's completely unrelated to Quintuplets. So why say" this isn't a shoujo manga either". It says "shoujo manga is ALSO incredibly predictable".
Alright I misread that then. Personally I like We Never Learn better since it is far more light hearted and it came out first. It also has more characters I can stand.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
lol Berserk is the only manga that has a tragedy tag I'm still "reading". Those fuckers at amazon STILL haven't sent me the hardcover even though I pre-ordered 5 months ago.

John Blade

Just finish reading Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid from where it's right now in Japan and like it so far. I can see where season 2 can go if they follow the manga story line with certain changes. Don't think they will talk about Kanna story arch in the manga as it's much further ahead in the manga.

John Blade

Just finish reading Binbougami Ga! as I love the show quite a bit and found out it's based on the manga. Love it from beginning to the end and now it's top few manga I wish they continue the animated show to complete the manga series on TV. I just looking for another manga with the similar tone as this manga as I am loving this style of stuff right now.

binbougamiga.jpg

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Hey guys, maybe you can help me out. I'm struggling to find an anime I have seen in a YT video talking about the classical shonen trope, where it was basically compared to "Hero Academia with Magic". It looked pretty neat. Any idea what it's called or suggestions if it's worth my time? I have a soft spot for animes with over the top action, barely invicible main characters and only minor setbacks.
Black Clover? Mx0?

BunzLee

Black Clover? Mx0?

Thanks, it's sadly none of both. But Black Clover looks like my cup of tea, so I'll give it a try.

The one I was talking about is probably 1-2 years old, it might even be an isekai. All I remember from the few pictures I saw it that it has a colorful appearance, und looks a bit like Slayer and Hero Academia had a child together.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Thanks, it's sadly none of both. But Black Clover looks like my cup of tea, so I'll give it a try.

The one I was talking about is probably 1-2 years old, it might even be an isekai. All I remember from the few pictures I saw it that it has a colorful appearance, und looks a bit like Slayer and Hero Academia had a child together.
Uh.... Little Witch Academia?

Black Clover is generic as fuck but inoffensive and decent entertainment.

Shouta

Question:
Are Tate no Yuusha and Dororo any good?

I've heard good things about the new Dororo adaptation. The series as a whole is great. Shield Hero/Tate no Yuusha anime is fine/good. It's kind of by the numbers from a creative standpoint aside from the music, which is ace. It's also toned down from the source material as that was more harsh and rough around the edges. Characters are a lot more negative in attitude and thinking which affects the mood of the series.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Man, there is just a bottomless pit of anime based on fighting games that came out in the 90s. Even Battle Arena Toshinden and Psychic Force got OVAs. =O

Shouta

Man, there is just a bottomless pit of anime based on fighting games that came out in the 90s. Even Battle Arena Toshinden and Psychic Force got OVAs. =O

Almost none of them are good though. :( Fatal Fury is about it and even those are a bit schlocky

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Almost none of them are good though. :( Fatal Fury is about it and even those are a bit schlocky

Oh, I'm not going into those expecting excellence. They were clearly trying to cash in on the fighting game craze of the time. I'll mostly watch them to see how much of a train wreck they can be.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Hmmmm I'm going to go out on a limb and say Fairy Tail? but that is older than 1-2 years old.

Very colorful
Mage Guild
Heavy Shonen action.

Last edited:

Trojita

BunzLee BunzLee Where you at. Since I'm going to sleep soon I'll just add the following.

Other things you can look at that involve magic to some degree

Magi - Fantasy Magic shounen surrounding the characters Aladdin, Sinbad, etc.
Merc Storia - A more recent (past year) show that had some fans.
Nanatsu no Taizai (Seven Deadly Sins) - Not to be compared with the full out ecchi show.
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (The Irregular at Magic High School) - Show that literally involves a magic school in a modern world setting, where the main character is the best thing ever with no emotions but the school puts him in a lower grade level due to the way they conduct tests. His sister that is very obsessed with him is in the gifted class of students.

I highly doubt category
Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records (Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor) - A transfer in teacher at a magic school is more than he seems.

There's two anime that came out at the same time that were fairly similar involving magic sword fights at a school.

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry (Chivalry of a Failed Knight) - About a guy at a magic combat school where students can materialize weapons. The macin character is rated as having no magic ability and is seen as a failure. In the new semester he is ends up living in a dorm room with a princess from a foreign country (with a nice body).

I oddly enough really liked the opening song. Always got me hyped for the episode to start

the other anime was Gakusen Toshi Asterisk (The Asterisk War) - Main character joins an elite school where students learn to control a power that started appearing in children after a catastrophe. Dueling between students in combat fights is a common occurrence. Main character angers a girl on his first day at the school and is forced into a duel against her. Of the two I liked Chivalry of a Failed Knight better.

You might be interested in Knights & Magic. It's about a programmer in Japan that is a big fan of mechs that dies and gets reincarnated as a child into a magic medieval world that has mechs powered by magic that aren't that advanced. He regains his memory of his old life upon seeing one of the mechs, realizes that the magic in their world follows a lot of the same principles of programming logic, he helps that world advance their magic and mech technology. The most endearing part of it is just how enthusiastic the main character is about the mechs and magic.

There's a lot of manga that would probably go along with your wish of having magic/abilities + overpowered MC + Action.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I have finished both Kumika and Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa in the past few days as well as caught up with Fire Force and We Can't Study!

Now I am sad that I have to wait to get new chapters.

bigedole

I'm watching Quintessential Quintuplets and I feel like this is probably one of the most enjoyable Harem shows I've sampled. I'm 10 episodes in now, I usually give up pretty quickly due to fanservice or tropey writing, but I've really enjoyed this one. Hope it gets a 2nd season!

manfestival

I've heard good things about the new Dororo adaptation. The series as a whole is great. Shield Hero/Tate no Yuusha anime is fine/good. It's kind of by the numbers from a creative standpoint aside from the music, which is ace. It's also toned down from the source material as that was more harsh and rough around the edges. Characters are a lot more negative in attitude and thinking which affects the mood of the series.
Yeah after reading your post I dove into both. Dororo is really interesting. Tate no Yuusha has a nice spin on this whole genre. Kinda like how Overlord did but the first episode was solid!

Question:
Are Tate no Yuusha and Dororo any good?
I haven't watched Dororo, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. I think Tate no Yuusha has been adapted well for the most part, though it slips up at parts. For instance, the latest episode (#15) got criticized for changing what was originally a morally grey scene in the LN/manga to something more black & white. However, I consider Tate no Yuusha an 8/10 adaptation.

Shouta

I haven't watched Dororo, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. I think Tate no Yuusha has been adapted well for the most part, though it slips up at parts. For instance, the latest episode (#15) got criticized for changing what was originally a morally grey scene in the LN/manga to something more black & white. However, I consider Tate no Yuusha an 8/10 adaptation.

I actually really like anime's take on the latest episode more than I do in the original versions for Tate. It shifts the focus on the confrontation to the reunion in the episode which is way more emotionally powerful and it does far more for the character than the original version did. I think it's kind of a throwaway piece of character development in the source since the intention of it doesn't really get integrated. It's a real shame that it's getting overshadowed.

That said, I do understand the criticism about that one specific change.

Last edited:
I actually really like anime's take on the latest episode more than I do in the original versions for Tate. It shifts the focus on the confrontation to the reunion in the episode which is way more emotionally powerful and it does far more for the character than the original version did. I think it's kind of a throwaway piece of character development in the source since the intention of it doesn't really get integrated. It's a real shame that it's getting overshadowed.

That said, I do understand the criticism about that one specific change.
I get your point. And it was just that one scene that I didn't personally like as the rest of the episode was done well.

I'm just not a huge fan of the "If you kill X, you're no better than X" cliché. For one thing, it was a false equivalence in the context of the confrontation and also, it's not consistent with the MC's personality when he said that line. For one thing, he openly mocked another hero for spouting a different clichéd line and later in the series, he will request something similar to what Raphtalia wanted to do with the corrupt noble.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Just finish reading Binbougami Ga! as I love the show quite a bit and found out it's based on the manga. Love it from beginning to the end and now it's top few manga I wish they continue the animated show to complete the manga series on TV. I just looking for another manga with the similar tone as this manga as I am loving this style of stuff right now.

binbougamiga.jpg
Never gonna happen.

petran79

Banned
Oh, I'm not going into those expecting excellence. They were clearly trying to cash in on the fighting game craze of the time. I'll mostly watch them to see how much of a train wreck they can be.

The Nakoruru OVA was decent and perhaps the best effort I've seen. Unfinished sadly

Last edited:

John Blade

Never gonna happen.

I know it won't happen when the animated show wasn't renewal for a 2nd season (let alone a 3rd season based on how much the manga is cover). Still, the anime actually got me interested in the manga and did take the time to go through it and love it for what it's.

Shouta

I get your point. And it was just that one scene that I didn't personally like as the rest of the episode was done well.

I'm just not a huge fan of the "If you kill X, you're no better than X" cliché. For one thing, it was a false equivalence in the context of the confrontation and also, it's not consistent with the MC's personality when he said that line. For one thing, he openly mocked another hero for spouting a different clichéd line and later in the series, he will request something similar to what Raphtalia wanted to do with the corrupt noble.

I don't mind it but I really wish they had been more nuanced and focused on Raphtalia's own personal feelings rather than the moral comparison stuff. It's just too generic when there was a good chance to develop her mindset more. I don't think it is inconsistent with Naofumi's personality, myself. He struggles with rage and the seriously makes it a point that he isn't that kind of person and doesn't want to rely on it. So him asking Raphtalia there makes sense because he cares for her, he takes the world series and probably wouldn't want to see someone go through the same thing he would. If the series focused a bit more on the personal struggle Naofumi goes through, it'd probably be a stronger case though. The author builds the case for it but it's not nearly as upfront about it as the story should, heh.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I know it won't happen when the animated show wasn't renewal for a 2nd season (let alone a 3rd season based on how much the manga is cover). Still, the anime actually got me interested in the manga and did take the time to go through it and love it for what it's.
I personally thought they rushed everything in the end of the manga. Bimbo is a good series either way, we don't have many female protags as is that aren't otome shit or even decent. I usually rewatch it every year or so.

John Blade

I personally thought they rushed everything in the end of the manga. Bimbo is a good series either way, we don't have many female protags as is that aren't otome shit or even decent. I usually rewatch it every year or so.

Yea, it feel rush a bit as you get closed to the end. Maybe one more volume to spread out the last arch of the manga. Either way, it end well for what we got which I won't complain. Might be interested to find another manga which the similar tone with this manga but I am currently going through Gokusen, Yotsuba&!, and Kanna's Daily Life right now.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't found anything similar with a female protag but hopefully once isekai dies down a bit we might somewhere in the future? Not a fan of loli but I like Iruru enough to read Kanna's Daily Life. The art is great compared to the main series since Cool can't draw for shit. Enjoying more than I thought I would tbh. Ojojojo anime when?

John Blade

I haven't found anything similar with a female protag but hopefully once isekai dies down a bit we might somewhere in the future? Not a fan of loli but I like Iruru enough to read Kanna's Daily Life. The art is great compared to the main series since Cool can't draw for shit. Enjoying more than I thought I would tbh. Ojojojo anime when?

Yea, I notice the main series art is very simplified while Kanna's Daily Life is much better drawn. Who is doing the artwork of Kanna's life then as I do like it more and kinda wish the artstyle will eventually get into the main series and make it more better. I know some manga have this artwork change as time passby (a big one is Oh My Goddess).

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Cool has gotten worse over the years imo. If you look at his older series you'd see he wasn't this rough before. Or maybe I just liked Danna and Komori San better. Speaking of he has this other series that you might like. It is called Metsuko ni Yoroshiku, but that hasn't gotten an update since forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Holgren

Could anyone recommend some good mangas? I like pretty much any genre as long as the characters and story are good and the typical predictable stuff. Just a few I enjoyed that randomly popped up in my mind for this post:

Berserk
Vagabond
Onani Master Kurosawa
Molester Man
Uzumaki
pretty much anything by Junji Ito (read most of his stuff)

Sorry if this is not the place to ask for recommendations, but the OT didn't have any rules so.....

I don't mind it but I really wish they had been more nuanced and focused on Raphtalia's own personal feelings rather than the moral comparison stuff. It's just too generic when there was a good chance to develop her mindset more. I don't think it is inconsistent with Naofumi's personality, myself. He struggles with rage and the series makes it a point that he isn't that kind of person and doesn't want to rely on it. So him asking Raphtalia there makes sense because he cares for her, he takes the world series and probably wouldn't want to see someone go through the same thing he would. If the series focused a bit more on the personal struggle Naofumi goes through, it'd probably be a stronger case though. The author builds the case for it but it's not nearly as upfront about it as the story should, heh.
That’s a fair explanation. Naofumi did say that when he returns to his world, he wants to leave a Raphtalia who can take care of herself. I also agree with Raphtalia’s character. Her character could’ve been expounded upon beyond “Oh no, I killed someone”.

Could anyone recommend some good mangas? I like pretty much any genre as long as the characters and story are good and the typical predictable stuff. Just a few I enjoyed that randomly popped up in my mind for this post:

Berserk
Vagabond
Onani Master Kurosawa
Molester Man
Uzumaki
pretty much anything by Junji Ito (read most of his stuff)

Sorry if this is not the place to ask for recommendations, but the OT didn't have any rules so.....
- Tate no Yuusha (I find the manga generally stronger than the anime outside of the exposition)
- Kono oto tomare (It’s a music manga centered around the koto, a Japanese instrument)

Trojita

Holgren Holgren

Have you checked out

Vinland Saga
Blade of the Immortal
Blame!
Prison School
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Ubel Blatt

?

Last edited:

Shouta

I need to remember to check my posts after a long day of work. I keep using the wrong word when it starts out the same. -_-

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Holgren Holgren check these out.
Murcielago
Dorohedoro
Made in Abyss
Arakure Ojousama wa Monmon Shiteiru
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure start from part 1.
Kumika no Mikaku
Nozomanu Fushi no Boukensha
Kitsune Spirit

Last edited by a moderator:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I am just starting to watch some anime. I’ve only watched Evangelion in the past.

I just finished Fate/Zero and loved it. I am reading Fate/Stay Night visual novel now. Almost done the first route. It’s good but a bit of a slog at points. They could have trimmed some stuff down easily. I will continue on.

I’m also reading Berserk as my first manga.

Does anyone have any anime or manga recommendations that may be similiar in tone to those two. I like the more serious and darker stuff rather then the goofy stuff you see in a lot of anime.

Trojita

I am just starting to watch some anime. I’ve only watched Evangelion in the past.

I just finished Fate/Zero and loved it. I am reading Fate/Stay Night visual novel now. Almost done the first route. It’s good but a bit of a slog at points. They could have trimmed some stuff down easily. I will continue on.

I’m also reading Berserk as my first manga.

Does anyone have any anime or manga recommendations that may be similiar in tone to those two. I like the more serious and darker stuff rather then the goofy stuff you see in a lot of anime.
I'll probably be able to give better recommendations when I'm home later. I'm really surprised that the only anime you ever watched was Evangelion when you have a Pyra avatar lol. Wasn't expecting that.

You can always start watching the Unlimited Blade Works show animated by the same studio that did Fate/Zero. A good avenue might be to finish the first route and then watch UBW (or you could play that too). That way you can skip the adaption of the first route anime, which wasn't great.

Easy to give out recommendations:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Goblin Slayer (fits your darker tone request)
Slime Tensei (Doesn't fit your wanting a serious or darker anime, but it is very enjoyable!)

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I'll probably be able to give better recommendations when I'm home later. I'm really surprised that the only anime you ever watched was Evangelion when you have a Pyra avatar lol. Wasn't expecting that.

You can always start watching the Unlimited Blade Works show animated by the same studio that did Fate/Zero. A good avenue might be to finish the first route and then watch UBW (or you could play that too). That way you can skip the adaption of the first route anime, which wasn't great.

I like JPGs so I am used to playing games that have an anime art style. I’ve never gotten into shows and movies though.

I have UBW in my queue. I am going to start that after reading the visual novels first route. I skipped the anime for the first route because everyone says it is really bad, as you mentioned.

My plan is to read the first route, watch the anime for the second route then read the third route. Then I can watch the third route anime as more of the movies come out.

I’ve also seen Goblin Slayer. I watched it before Fate/Zero when I first signed up for CrunchyRoll.

Last edited:

Trojita

Tryharding to be a dark anime. What a pile of shit*
lol. You listened to my request in the other thread so I shall not speak ill of your comments. GS pretty much started as a D&D joke anyway, so the tryhard edgy was there on purpose. J JORMBO might like it. It is much easier to recommend dark/serious manga than anime.

manfestival

I like JPGs so I am used to playing games that have an anime art style. I’ve never gotten into shows and movies though.
While I finished Goblin Slayer. The show really did a whole lot of nothing. It was interesting to watch but the show lacked any depth at all.

Shield Hero on the other hand is very entertaining. I am glad that I was told to give it a chance. I only noticed the show on some popular list but was not entirely sure of the appeal. Caught up on the show during the weekend.

Mista

Banned
lol. You listened to my request in the other thread so I shall not speak ill of your comments. GS pretty much started as a D&D joke anyway, so the tryhard edgy was there on purpose. J JORMBO might like it. It is much easier to recommend dark/serious manga than anime.
Nah fuck that. I grew up on Berserk so GS is straight up garbage. W E A K

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Aah yeah I meant to edit in to mention Shield Hero which is airing this season. It has really high production values and amazing music.

I’ve had CrunchyRoll for a month now. I watched GS prior to F/Z. It was enjoyable, but nothing special. If they do a second season I will tune in. I like old school fantasy stuff too.

Top Bottom