• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anne |OT| From Crystal Blue to 'E' (Netflix May 12th)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
o-ANNE-NETFLIX-POSTER-570.jpg

WHAT IS THIS?
Wikipedia said:
Anne is a Canadian television series based on the 1908 novel Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery, and adapted by Emmy Award-winning writer and producer Moira Walley-Beckett (Breaking Bad)

WHY SHOULD YOU CARE?
Walley-Beckett wrote Ozymandias. 'member that episode? But seriously, Anne of Green Gables is an beloved story and they actually managed to pull off a slightly darker, but relevant, take on it.

WHAT ARE THE CRITICS SAYING?
AV Club
AV CLUB said:
But with so much familiarity safely established, Anne With An E confidently veers into some unknown, darker Anne territory...In the first few episodes of Anne With An E, the familiar tales resonate—Anne's quarrel with Mrs. Lynde, Marilla's missing brooch—enticing new Anne fans the way the original novels did for Anne Of Green Gables in years past.

Deadline
DEADLINE said:
Unlike the stumbles of her 2015 Starz series Flesh And Bone, ex-Breaking Bad producer and writer Walley-Beckett has focused her considerable talents in Anne. The result is insightfully more Charles Dickens' Bleak House in many ways than Walter White, while still tapping into the harsh truths of a hard world that are clearly evident in Montgomery's book.

A celebration of one of Canada's greatest cultural exports, this series is binge-worthy with a capital Y, a capital E and a capital S.

The Atlantic
The ATLANTIC said:
So Anne With an E, created by Moira Walley-Beckett, a longtime writer and producer on Breaking Bad, isn't exactly inventing darkness for the story so much as reading between the lines. It's Anne of Green Gables for 21st-century audiences, who are perhaps more sympathetic to the idea that children can suffer. That's not to say darkness defines the show. Anne With an E captures the winning exuberance of Anne Shirley—who, played by AmyBeth McNulty, is entirely irresistible—while finding some deeper potency in her story. The first two episodes offer a gripping and moving setup for the rest of the season, portraying how Anne, despite improbable odds, persuades the elderly Cuthberts to love her.

WHERE CAN I WATCH THIS?
You got Netflix? You on planet earth? Yeah, go ahead and start it up.

TRAILER(S)?
Just start up your Netflix already. Stop playing games.

I highly recommend giving this a watch. I saw the CBC broadcast and was instantly charmed by the show. Amybeth McNulty is an actor to keep an eye out for, I'm definitely expecting this to put her star on the rise. Oh, and something the trailers really haven't sold well, the show is actually pretty funny. Also, if you're a Canadian, I think it's your patriotic duty to consume any & all available Green Gables content.

PLEASE SPOILER TAG SPECIFIC EPISODE DISCUSSION UNTIL May 26th

Anne With An 'E' is streaming worldwide on Netflix...NOW

berzeli

Banned
Yay. Shame that this releases at what feels like the peak of peak TV. I mean of course I'll watch this, just not right now. Man, I'm so glad that I can finally partake in the magnum opus of Moira "I ran this joke into the ground in TV GAF" Walley-Beckett.

DOWN

Banned
I'm always wary of Netflix Originals that actually originate elsewhere as they rarely seem to have the same level of style and production values. Also where is the show called Anne and where is it called Anne with an E? It seems to go by both names.

Lynchian

Watched this on CBC.

It's really good.
Well casted, acted and shot.
Some additions and alterations were made to the source material that would have the fans of the book guessing.

Btw, this is the original photo, dunno what that horrid Instagram filter was attempting to achieve.

Sean C

I'm always wary of Netflix Originals that actually originate elsewhere as they rarely seem to have the same level of style and production values. Also where is the show called Anne and where is it called Anne with an E? It seems to go by both names.
If you're concerned about production values, don't be; it looks amazing, one of the best-looking Netflix originals, in my opinion.

The whole thing has already aired in Canada, and I was a huge fan of how it turned out.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I'm kinda the same way. Production values on this are high all the way through. I think this might also be a co-production between CBC and Netflix, not just Netflix distributing it internationally. They've been pushing it as one of their originals in marketing and not just an acquisition.

As for the name...I have absolutely no clue. I want to say that "Anne" is the CBC broadcast name and "Anne With An E" is the Netflix name. That might be backwards though lol.

Sean C

I'm kinda the same way. Production values on this are high all the way through. I think this might also be a co-production between CBC and Netflix, not just Netflix distributing it internationally. They've been pushing it as one of their originals in marketing and not just an acquisition.
Yes, it's a co-production. The CBC could never have afforded to make this show on their own, as Moira Walley-Beckett noted.

As for the name...I have absolutely no clue. I want to say that "Anne" is the CBC broadcast name and "Anne With An E" is the Netflix name. That might be backwards though lol.
That's correct. It was originally supposed to be just Anne everywhere, but Netflix decided at the last minute it needed a more distinct name.

Not available on Netflix Canada. Sad!
It's all up on the CBC's website.

GreyWind

Yes, it's a co-production. The CBC could never have afforded to make this show on their own, as Moira Walley-Beckett noted.

That's correct. It was originally supposed to be just Anne everywhere, but Netflix decided at the last minute it needed a more distinct name.

It's all up on the CBC's website.

Is there any other way? CBC player kinda sucks

Grizzlyjin

Is there any other way? CBC player kinda sucks

I have no idea when, but it'll come to Netflix Canada eventually. That was part of the original announcement for the show. I guess maybe CBC wants to milk it on their end a little longer?

Nice thread title :)

I want to watch this but I need to finish Sense8 and The Last Kingdom first...

#PeakTV waits for no one. Luckily this is a short-ish watch. CBC airing was 7 episodes, the premiere being 2 hours. Netflix broke it up into 8 eps. And those are broadcast length, so 42ish minutes. No 13 hour long Iron Fist death marches.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
#PeakTV waits for no one. Luckily this is a short-ish watch. CBC airing was 7 episodes, the premiere being 2 hours. Netflix broke it up into 8 eps. And those are broadcast length, so 42ish minutes. No 13 hour long Iron Fist death marches.

I do appreciate a shorter season in times like these!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just reposting here since I didn't know someone made an OT. lol

I thought reviewers were purposefully being douchebags when they kept referring to "Anne" as "Anne with an E" until I discovered that Netflix actually decided to change the name... I really don't get it, and the only reasonable theory that I've heard is that they think Americans would think it was a show about Anne Frank if they just left it at "Anne". :p

---

As for the show, I almost want to go back and watch the Follows version to compare, but I don't think I care enough. I just wonder how Japanese audiences will receive the show, since it makes PEI look like the most miserable place on Earth to live.

Grizzlyjin

Just reposting here since I didn't know someone made an OT. lol

I thought reviewers were purposefully being douchebags when they kept referring to "Anne" as "Anne with an E" until I discovered that Netflix actually decided to change the name... I really don't get it, and the only reasonable theory that I've heard is that they think Americans would think it was a show about Anne Frank if they just left it at "Anne". :p

---

As for the show, I almost want to go back and watch the Follows version to compare, but I don't think I care enough. I just wonder how Japanese audiences will receive the show, since it makes PEI look like the most miserable place on Earth to live.

I like the Anne with an E title, but it took some time for me to warm up to it. The first time I saw it, I thought it was a typo. With the context of the show, I get it now.

For anyone that is interested in title sequences, Art of the Title did a spectacular interview with Moira Walley-Becket (Showrunner), Miranda de Pencier (Producer), Alan Williams (Creative Director, Imaginary Forces), and Brad Kunkle (Artist)

http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/anne/

Grizzlyjin

the last episode had me boiling, cant wait for next season

I know!

Episode 8 Spoiler:
I felt so bad for Jerry. He's so good spirited and Anne just hates on him constantly, and then he gets beat up in the city on top of that. At least they balanced it out with him being able to stay on at Green Gables. And then you got those two dudes who beat him up staying there!
They better renew this, I can't take a cliffhanger like that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know!

Episode 8 Spoiler:
I felt so bad for Jerry. He's so good spirited and Anne just hates on him constantly, and then he gets beat up in the city on top of that. At least they balanced it out with him being able to stay on at Green Gables. And then you got those two dudes who beat him up staying there!
They better renew this, I can't take a cliffhanger like that.

I assume they're going to finish the first book at least. I just wonder if they'll bother doing the whole series, or at least the first few books given how the first book ends.

(You know, I think the ending of the first book is one of the reasons why Japanese audiences find Anne relatable)

Grizzlyjin

I assume they're going to finish the first book at least. I just wonder if they'll bother doing the whole series, or at least the first few books given how the first book ends.

(You know, I think the ending of the first book is one of the reasons why Japanese audiences find Anne relatable)

It's too bad Netflix doesn't release their metrics. I'd love to see if the show has made a blip in Japan based off love of Anne of Green Gables. It must've made some impact, I can't imagine an Anne series would go unnoticed.

Aselith

Started watching this tonight and quite enjoying it so far. The scene where Anne says "sewry" over and over again made her sound almost TOO Canadian :p

Richard Farnsworth was perfect Matthew casting so that's a hard act to follow but I like this guy they've got playing the role.

Really don't like that title though but as long as the show is good I'll put up with it.

Grizzlyjin

Started watching this tonight and quite enjoying it so far. The scene where Anne says "sewry" over and over again made her sound almost TOO Canadian :p

Richard Farnsworth was perfect Matthew casting so that's a hard act to follow but I like this guy they've got playing the role.

Really don't like that title though but as long as the show is good I'll put up with it.

Matthew is probably my favorite supporting character. He's a bit awkward and soft spoken, which bounces off nicely with Anne and Marilla being such huge presences. They did a good job of selling his connection with Anne immediately, despite their personalities being so different.

Lynd7

I finished watching it last week, I enjoyed it, not sure why I saw some people saying it was bad.

Magus1234

Anne is so great, she is like a parody of the romantic novels she quotes. It's as if you took Jane Eyre and planted her in a realistic rural town.

I just found this show the other night. It only took me two days to get through it. I love it. It took a lot out of me to get through the first episode. It made me wonder how obnoxious the writers could make a character. I liked everyone else. But by the end of the season, it's nice to see how the characters meld together.

I love how they touch on these years. I haven't found many good shows to do that.

Aselith

I just found this show the other night. It only took me two days to get through it. I love it. It took a lot out of me to get through the first episode. It made me wonder how obnoxious the writers could make a character. I liked everyone else. But by the end of the season, it's nice to see how the characters meld together.

I love how they touch on these years. I haven't found many good shows to do that.

I think the thing that really helps sell Anne's personality is the moments of vulnerability. So when you see her breaking down hard for the bad stuff, the moments of plucky positivity feel earned and a natural extension from trying to deal with some raw ass shit.

I can understand why it would be a little grating at first when you haven't seen that side of things as much.

Having now finished up the series, MVP supporting character is Ruby for me. She reminds me a lot of Karen from Mean Girls and has some hilarious lines.

Grizzlyjin

Anne is so great, she is like a parody of the romantic novels she quotes. It's as if you took Jane Eyre and planted her in a realistic rural town.

I'm generally not a fan of overly positive characters but Anne really works for me in this. They really sold how this overly articulate child would be an oddity to everyone around her. "Wise beyond their years" children so rarely work, so it's refreshing to see one pulled off well and with explanation as to why she's like this.

Top Bottom