• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Annoying Sports Commentary Every Game

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For sports you watch, what are some annoying commentary you get every match by the main play by play commentator or sidekick analyst?

As background info for great telecasts, back in the 2000s, CBC had an employee strike so they telecast hockey games with zero commentary. Whomever they had still working just manned the cameras. It was awesome. It was like being there as all you heard was the crowd and players.

But here's some annoying shit you hear every match like these assholes cant come up with anything of substance.

"Player X is the best in the league at...."
The league has 500 players, how the hell can this player be the "hardest worker in the league" or "he's the fastest player", but then next game it's a different guy? Then a match another day has a different player being the best? "Nobody is better in the locker room than him!"

Baseball specific. 20/20 hindsight pitch analysis
A pitcher tosses a wicked breaking ball. Batter strikes out..... "What great pitch! Great ball placement"

The pitcher tosses the same pitch to another batter. Batter hits a home run..... "Well see Bob, the pitcher couldnt' get it in the location he wanted and the batter caught him. Looks like he wanted the breaking ball a few inches over, but he put it in the wrong spot and the batter hit it out of the park"

Hockey specific
"Nobody blocks more shots than him" (a defencemen). Well, I'm pretty sure in the league leader stats, there's only one player who has the most blocked shots. So how the hell can there be a revolving door of best stats with a different player every game?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
College football there are many times I wonder if the broadcasters can see the field. They say thing that have never happened.

Catphish

The F1 commentator guy. Jesus Christ. Slip that dude some decaf. I don’t know how he gets through the first couple of laps without passing out. It’s like he’s seeing race cars for the first time and omg he can’t fucking believe it!

Its a race, mate, not an alien invasion. Breathe.

The true test of a commentator is whether or not they will boldly call out flops.

I feel like the worst commentators try to perform word gymnastics around the bullshit that just occured on the field.

not as annoying as the cookie cutter responses players give post game

"give it 110%"
"get to the dirty areas"
"do what you gotta do"
"we just went out there and execute."

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I used to listen to hockey games on the radio while watching them on a muted tv as I liked their personalities better. Just need to find ones you like

killatopak

GIF by Giphy QA

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
not as annoying as the cookie cutter responses players give post game

"give it 110%"
"get to the dirty areas"
"do what you gotta do"
"we just went out there and execute."
NHL players started using the "we got to keep it simple" maybe 10 years ago.

It makes zero sense.

Winnings games often comes from awesome goaltending or forwards doing snazzy set ups or shots. Which is the absolute opposite of cookie cutter plays.

Top Bottom