• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another day,another stupid press article

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
Some retarded sensationalist newspaper said:
Video game ad angers mother

August 18, 2004

BUS AD TERRIFIES YOUNGSTER: SCARED: Collette Clairmont and her sons Tristan, 4, and Randall, 2, on Tecumseh Road East. Tristan Clairmont began having nightmares and won't ride the city bus because of Prince of Persia video game ads.

An advertisement for a video game displayed in Transit Windsor buses is being removed after a Windsor woman complained her four-year-old son was too afraid to ride.

"It's about time," Collette Clairmont said Tuesday when she heard the signs were coming down. "I am shocked something like that is even on the bus."

Since October, Clairmont's son, Tristan, has refused to ride buses displaying the ad for a Nintendo GameCube game Prince of Persia because he was too scared.

"If it's on there, he's off," said Clairmont, adding it has been difficult to deal with because the bus is their primary mode of transit.

She called Transit Windsor seven times to complain about the ad.

The ad features a bloodied, sinister-looking man holding a machete-like sword in an attack position. A similar ad features him holding a gun.

In the corner of the ad, the Entertainment Software Ratings Board suggests the game is for a teen audience and may be suitable only for persons 13 and older because of violent content, blood and suggestive themes.

'WRONG MESSAGE'

"It is sending the wrong message to kids," said Clairmont. "I don't even let my kids have a butter knife."

The ad with the gun began appearing in October and the one with the sword was just introduced recently.

After receiving complaints, staff at the bus company agreed the content was too violent and began removing the signs "a few months ago," said Jan O'Neil, sales and marketing manager for Transit Windsor.

But Clairmont said she saw one as recently as Monday and a spot check by The Star Tuesday found two more on the Ottawa 4 and Transway 1A.

O'Neil said they would be removed immediately.

But Clairmont said the damage has already been done.

"Tristan has had nightmares about them, saying he sees the man with the gun," she said.

O'Neil said advertisements are selected and placed on buses by a contract company according to Transit Windsor guidelines. Religious content, alcohol or tobacco ads and violent content are prohibited on public buses, and if the contract company has any questions, Transit Windsor has final approval.

O'Neil said she is not aware of any communication with the contractor regarding these ads in particular.

Gateway Outdoor, which erected these ads, no longer holds the contract with Transit Windsor.

"They should be more careful what they're advertising because transit caters to kids as well," said Transit Windsor bus rider Betty Riley. "And they wonder why our jails are full and where these kids get these ideas from."
126884-37810.jpg

This Nintendo GameCube ad for Prince of Persia was found Tuesday on a Transit Windsor bus.
:rolleyes:

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
"The ad features a bloodied, sinister-looking man holding a machete-like sword in an attack position. A similar ad features him holding a gun."

Oh my god, a man with a sword. wtfwtfwtf.

I suppose the family sued disney for the palace guards in Aladdin, too?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I like how the article says it's for Nintendo Gamecube. I'm surprised they didn't just say "Nintendo ad"

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Most parents dont care, ive found most parents at that i talk to at gamestop are more concerned with sex.

SantaC

Wario64 said:
I like how the article says it's for Nintendo Gamecube. I'm surprised they didn't just say "Nintendo ad"

Somehow Nintendo always get the blame. I remember that family who sued Nintendo for seziures(spelling?). Like they are the only company making videogames that contains them. *rolleyes*

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
it is kinda creepy i guess, considering in america they probably wouldnt let you have a bloodied sword being held by a guy with a sinister look on his face on day time TV, so why is it allowed on the side of a bus?

Just because its not real doesnt seem like a viable excuse if it actually scares little kids.

AniHawk

Ghost said:
it is kinda creepy i guess, considering in america they probably wouldnt let you have a bloodied sword being held by a guy with a sinister look on his face on day time TV, so why is it allowed on the side of a bus?

Just because its not real doesnt seem like a viable excuse if it actually scares little kids.

Well these are also the same types of parents who get upset because Mario jumps.

What kind of pussy kids are these boys? It's a fricken picture. Jeeze. Kids these days. Either they're killing people, or super pussies, or either sex maniacs or super prudes. No middle ground anymore.

But Clairmont said the damage has already been done.

"Tristan has had nightmares about them, saying he sees the man with the gun," she said.

Funny the kid can have nightmares about something that doesn't exist. I mean unless you guys know where to get some guns in PoP.

Top Bottom