• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem is not worth reworking

Dthomp

Even if everything worked it would still be a very bad and boring AAA game. Bioware are now one of the worst devs

I said earlier in the thread that for me, I consider myself a grinder so elements here I liked, and the game was certainly pretty...Bioware is a horrible developer, and honestly I don't think are or were remotely equipped for this type of title. Now if you told me that they got a bunch of former Bungie employees who had significant roles in Destiny on board for a relaunch, I'd be hyped again cause at it's base, there is something here with the flying and the visuals. Just feels like this team focused so hard on it being pretty and didn't have enough people under the hood making sure that this car had the right parts to run properly.

Harts316

After I finished Anthem, there was nothing to do. I was actually optimistic about an overhaul because I liked the flying and shooting. As someone who liked the game more than most people, I still think they should just move on. Too many things have come out since then and I can’t think of anything that would make me go back after all this time.

Last edited:

Phase

I was just thinking about this game the other day. If they had a big sale and dropped it to $10 I would probably get it as I heard the flying and mechanics were pretty good.

I sincerely doubt this game could rebound like FFXIV: A Realm Reborn ever did.

I dont see the heart and soul behind this game.

We shall see, but it's been so long since the games release that it feels absolutely pointless other than really do an FFXIV and rework this game from top to bottom for anyone to be excited about a re-release.

RoboEight

I hope they try to salvage it tbh I really like Anthem and still play it quite often and have been since launch. I know it's rough but the traversal, world and combat is really fun imo although I've pretty much run out of things to do I would be more than happy to have more. Sadly I think the game is gonna be canned at this point but we will see as EA will make their decision this week.

bighugeguns

The concept work, I mean that's the core of the project, is pretty damn weak, you take away the logo I'd have a hard time telling you what game this is, so it's got pretty weak identity and it's mechanically empty.

Like, you could have access to an army of assets people, but if your concept and design work is shit, it's shit, boys, nothing you can do about that.

Sell the IP to Ubisoft, they like this kind of stuff.

Last edited:

renzolama

There's no way EA spends more money on this, they'll put a fork in it this week. They missed the boat on looter shooter craze and Bioware probably hates it even more than EA does since most of them probably didn't want to make it at all. They'll treat it as tech effort for future service games with frostbite and move on.

Last edited:

MadYarpen

But the original concept (then titled beyond i think) sounded awesome and unique.

I think there is an interesting article about the development, written by everyone's darling Jason S.

The game was good and there is such potential in the IP, more so with the power of new consoles. I keep on reading this was some dud, but didn't it do well in the USA.
Not many games captured the feeling of flight as well as this, EA should use a sequel to iron out the issues and really give us a great game.

Some times it takes a sequel not only for an IP to get established but for the promise of the game to be realised. Look at Street Fighter 2

Hudo

The game was good and there is such potential in the IP, more so with the power of new consoles. I keep on reading this was some dud, but didn't it do well in the USA.
Not many games captured the feeling of flight as well as this, EA should use a sequel to iron out the issues and really give us a great game.

Some times it takes a sequel not only for an IP to get established but for the promise of the game to be realised. Look at Street Fighter 2
I agree. There's a ton of potential there. I think the biggest downfall of Anthem is that Bioware tried to make a pseudo-MMO service game out of it. If they had concentrated on making this a fun action RPG where you could fly around and shit, it could've been awesome. But I get that the direction of Anthem wasn't only their choice. EA management probably mandated the game to be "the next Destiny".

I agree. There's a ton of potential there. I think the biggest downfall of Anthem is that Bioware tried to make a pseudo-MMO service game out of it. If they had concentrated on making this a fun action RPG where you could fly around and shit, it could've been awesome. But I get that the direction of Anthem wasn't only their choice. EA management probably mandated the game to be "the next Destiny".
Exactly, it's like when I played Killzone on my PS2. You could see the team was talented the game world they were trying to create looked wonderful, just was a little beyond them and the hardware at the time but with the new Hardware and a 2nd chance, they made Killzone 2. I really feel EA should allow Bioware the game chance for Anthem

Anthem II with no frame rate issues, thanks to the new CPU's and no In-game loading, thanks to the SSD and with next-gen visuals could be, a truly fantastic experience

saintjules

Last edited:
Top Bottom