• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can these devs promote a game with a straight face knowing it's complete garbage...?

Celcius

°Temp. member
We're involved with games because we're fans and we're passionate about it.
They're involved with games because it makes money. That's it.

Laptop1991

Its far from new, but the more people realise this and don't buy and keep their money, the better the games, films, tv shows or any product will be in the long run.

Flabagast

I've just been watching reviews of Suicide Squad and Skull and bones intertwined with devs bullshitting in promos about the game.

I'm not a game developper myself, but if my boss would ask me to just completely lie in a video that millions will watch and you know there is going to be shit thrown at you and your company after release, I would tell him to do it himself...
I just don't understand how you can submit yourself to being broadcast all around the world in a promo just lying your ass off and smiling while you do it.

Are these devs held at gunpoint or these devs have no backbones??? It just irks me... sorry for rant!
In your work you never had to defend a project or delivrable you did not believe in ?

Vandole

"All right boys, that game you spent the last 4 years making is complete and utter shit. Just just garbage. So now the question is do we tell everyone it sucks, let the studio fall apart and go bankrupt, and lose our jobs? Where do we speak positively about it, hopefully recoup some expenses and maybe put out a better game next time? Show of hands. Who wants the first one?"

Sleepwalker

Say no
Gets fired
No positive reference from boss for next job
Unemployment

Surprised Meme GIF

Catphish

Like Chris Esaki and the whole "built from the ground up" line of bullshit from Turn10 for the new Forza.

His credibility is shot. I doubt you'll see his face pushing a product ever again.

Was it worth it?

Fbh

I have no idea how anyone could promote a bad product.

Thankfully I don't have to listen to them because I'm using may Raycon™ earbuds. I like them because the sound quality is amazing and they are half as much as other premium quality earbuds. Lots of celebrities like Cardi B and Drake use them so you know you can't go wrong with the Raycon™ premium earbuds.
If you too want these amazing premium earbuds with a 20% discount, which is totally a real discount and not the normal price because we give everyone 20%, then go to the site and use my promocode "holyshittheysoundsobaditsalljustbaseIcanthearanythingelse" at checkout!.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I've just been watching reviews of Suicide Squad and Skull and bones intertwined with devs bullshitting in promos about the game.

I'm not a game developper myself, but if my boss would ask me to just completely lie in a video that millions will watch and you know there is going to be shit thrown at you and your company after release, I would tell him to do it himself...
I just don't understand how you can submit yourself to being broadcast all around the world in a promo just lying your ass off and smiling while you do it.

Are these devs held at gunpoint or these devs have no backbones??? It just irks me... sorry for rant!
You know what surprises me more? How people keep falling for it every time and some actually defend it. It’s really bizarre.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Do you not realise how business works? You make a product, you want the product to do well as it means you get to keep your job and the company doesn't go under, so you all get together and try to sell it as best as you can, it's real simple... Sure they probably know it's not the best thing on the planet but it's also not a complete rip off like Gollum and if gamers are gonna be that fucking stupid and pre-order $100 super duper deluxe versions then the blame is all theirs for a: being fucking stupid in the first place and B: not waiting for actual reviews to come out.

I don't blame the Dev's, they didn't set out to make a shitty game, they have mortgages, kids to feed and oftentimes are so far down the food chain in these corporate hellholes they get fuck all say in the finished product, blame management but above all else blame gamers for putting up and pre-ordering GAAS games

hemo memo

Gold Member
I don't blame the Dev's, they didn't set out to make a shitty game, they have mortgages, kids to feed and oftentimes are so far down the food chain in these corporate hellholes they get fuck all say in the finished product, blame management but above all else blame gamers for putting up and pre-ordering GAAS games
And consumers who pay full price for your bullshit lie don’t?

AmuroChan

Same reason that actors and directors still have to walk the red carpet when their movie got panned by critics, or athletes and coaches having to do post game interviews even after a blowout loss, or politicians saying how their admin did all these great things even though they didn’t, etc.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
OP done discovered capitalism

Bond007

I mean these people also work on these things for years- probably have some passion for their work and want to validate it.
Im sure they stand behind it to a certain extent.

They also get paid and it's their job. Thats life.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Because that's literally their job to participate in the game marketing. Also, why would you think devs lie? What lies have you seen from that game? They've been pretty clear about what it is imo, but I don't follow it anymore

Top Bottom