• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem |OT| Fly, you fools!

You pick your first javelin at L2 then 8, 16, 26. You do use the ranger at L1 but don't keep it unless you pick it at L2.
Thanks. Going by exp rates in the demo then I guess the first three can be unlocked fairly quickly, maybe even the 4th unless there's a sudden exponential increase in exp requirements.

ultrazilla

Eff, just so torn right now. How do you mess up mechs, sci fi, customization, 5 years of development and the KOTOR/DA/Baulders gate studio?? That's a fucking recipe for 10 mil until in sales easily. You have to actively try and eff that up. This thing needed another 6 months (for content and QOL features) in the oven *CLIP*

Funny as my son and I were talking about this earlier today about Anthem. Could have easily used another 6-12 months development time, no doubts whatsoever. Another case of Electronic Arts rushing the process and thinking they can just have Bioware finish the game via big patches on day 1.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really liking the gameplay and story/lore but this should have been pushed back until fall/winter of this year.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I don't get people that simply skip all the dialog. It fleshes out the world and each character has their own interesting quirks. You're doing yourselves a disservice in my opinion by skipping all of that.

I watched a youtube video from the in-game news feed on advanced combat tactics, and now the combo mechanic is making more sense and I understand a bit better how to load out my ranger. I'm having quite a bit of fun with this game, actually.

Mista

Banned
Well my 10 hours trial got burned thanks for trying to ACTUALLY PLAY! Early access is still beta so I’ll hop back in on the 22nd with the patch that will fix what they previously claimed that was fixed. Other than that, the game is fun when it works smoothly

The end-game loot grind is pretty good. Love the min-max aspect. This'll definitely be my game until Division 2.

Crazy. Destiny 2 load times on a PC w/ SSD are night and day compared to this game.

Plus, once you load in, that's it. But yeah there does seem to be a network issue here because my load times got longer during peak hours.
PC load times between the two I know not. Just Xbox here.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Well I used up my 10 hours. It's fun, but already started feeling repetitive. Not a whole lot of variety or content in the game right now. I want to play more, but I might just wait until they add more content and clean up some of the bugs.

The gameplay is fun. I was doing a world event on my own. Flying, dodging, shooting. It's fun. But the game needed more time in the oven.
I think if bioware acts fast enough and listen to feedback Anthem can be salvaged.

I think Anthem is going to be a win for BioWare and EA long-term. Unpolished and needs a lot of QoL, but the looter shooter base is legit.

Chest runs are pretty good right now. Maybe too good. The fact that grind fans even want to be doing that is a great sign imho.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I've put in about 6 hours through Origin Premier. I like it but I think the early missions are a little too long. Guns also need a bit more "oompf" to them imo. Game is pretty good looking and runs pretty good on my PC.

Hendrick's

Strongholds are a nightmare with matchmaking. Watching everyone go there own way and get killed in impossibly bad locations where any revive results in your own death is frustrating. Waiting for the squad respawn to load is more frustrating.

Strongholds are a nightmare with matchmaking. Watching everyone go there own way and get killed in impossibly bad locations where any revive results in your own death is frustrating. Waiting for the squad respawn to load is more frustrating.
I had to switch to a Normal Mines for a few runs because no one would play colossus and everyone would ignore turrets on Hard. Free play on hard doing my own thing has been lucrative though.

120v

played through most of my first 10 hrs this weekend. pretty competent loot shooter but i can't imagine why i'd want to play this with Division 2 around the corner, and without that i'd rather just go back to Destiny 2 if i really had to

AfricanKing

I'm at the bit where you have to find 4 tombs and do the challenges for each one .. that bit is mind numbing and not needed on the story , I hope that's the only mission I have to do that for which is part of the main story because I hated it in Destiny and I even hate it more now

Typhares

I'm at the bit where you have to find 4 tombs and do the challenges for each one .. that bit is mind numbing and not needed on the story , I hope that's the only mission I have to do that for which is part of the main story because I hated it in Destiny and I even hate it more now

Apparently there is a bug, some people objectives were already completed by all the actions done until this point which is intended. Some have to start from scratch.
And yes it's the only mission like that.

Darkone

I was torn if to purchase this and did the basic membership to play the trial.
i am 6 hours in and i really enjoyed it, this game has BIG potential which i hope will live up to it, only bug i encountered was when i returned to Tarsis after a mission it got stuck on the loading screen.
I like the story but the world feel kinda empty, would be great for them to add some life into the wilderness.
still don`t know if to purchase it or wait for some more content and fixes (not that i have that much available play time).
I had a good time playing a private mission on Hard...was challenging and adrenaline fun.

Ogbert

Not for me. There's a good game somewhere in there, but it's buried under layers of unecessary faf.

And I dislike the hub and broken approach to missions. Everything is too slow.

Mista

Banned
People of Xbox, share your GTs with me if you want so we play together and raise up with the alliance system

VertigoOA

Banned
Too bad there’s nothing at launch that’s a raid.

I love Destiny. Been there since beta on the original... the sum of its parts even with vanilla were solid.

However it really was Vault it Glass that delivered. An incredible unique experience at the time for a shooter.

There’s no way these strongholds even compare.

McCheese

So there is a bug which let's you kill anything with unlimited ultra attacks, folks on twitch are already streaming themselves farming end game tier stuff with it.

The game isn't even out for most people yet, and these guys will be kitted out in end game items already.

Just another reason why tiered release dates are stupid

Typhares

So there is a bug which let's you kill anything with unlimited ultra attacks, folks on twitch are already streaming themselves farming end game tier stuff with it.

The game isn't even out for most people yet, and these guys will be kitted out in end game items already.

Just another reason why tiered release dates are stupid

I mean there is no pvp so all they've done is ruined the game for themselves. I wouldn't do it cause I'm having a lot of fun so I want to enjoy the ride.

Dibils2k

man if they want people paying for cosmetics (or even spend their coins) they better bring out way more interesting designs... the current ones are pathetic

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Yea It’s really stupid and will not get it on x even tho I have both. The players I play these games with are on PS4.

If I was hyped enough I would’ve caved tho.

People were always going to have end-game gear by the 22nd. There were people already at Grandmaster 3 on Saturday.

This is a non-issue to me because end-game gear is constantly changing with a game like this. Next content drop, you won't even care.

This isn't limited to Origin either. Division 2 releases three days early for Ultimate and Gold, and those people will have a PvP advantage.

VertigoOA

Banned
It’s a non issue in general I think. Theyre just killing the end game chase for themselves with exploits. I think bioware made a mistake making a global loot pool as opposed to some tied to end game difficult activities ... well, that’s what I initially read.

In response to the exploit itself... breaking these games is often part of the fun.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

To me this game feels like a shallower version of Montser Hunter minus all the character and charm. I really want to keep playing this, but it just doesn't feel like it's worth $60. When is the first big content drop supposed to happen? Or do they plan on trickling it in?

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
5 hours in. I’m probably going to pass on this one. I might buy it if/when most of the issues have been fixed and more content has been added.

My thoughts:

- the fun of open-world games comes from all the interesting stuff you stumble upon on the way to your destination. That is missing from Anthem. You’re just making a beeline from waypoint to waypoint. Even if you wanted to stop and smell the roses, you can’t because your squad mates are all racing ahead

- I wasn’t expecting a great story but I was at least hoping for something better than Destiny. Anthem is actually much worse IMO. Destiny at least had a couple hooks that made me want to know what happens next.

- feels really soulless. Every mission is like “find some pile of miscellaneous scientific equipment, then fend off a wave of enemies while your disembodied narrator does something or other.”

- I’m not a fan of the matchmaking system. I don’t like how you have to party up in order to leave Bastion unless you specifically choose free play.

I really wanted this to be a good game but it just feels so lacking.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Damn, really had high hopes for this, seems to be really split between people enjoying it and people who get bored quickly. May just wait for an inevitable price drop now as from a lot of the impressions it sounds quite light on content.

VertigoOA

Banned
Not sure about skillup as I never watch anything of his, but ACG is usually pretty pragmatic. That seems a bit on the hatsh side though, Anthem has a really great world to explore.

Skill up hasn’t even sunk time into the endgame. Was reading the twitter thread for a bit. He’s full of shit as far as I’m concerned. Not that I expect something drastically better but it’s clickbait.

I don’t feel sorry for those still thinking they’re getting some mass effect rpg sequel.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

I don’t feel sorry for those still thinking they’re getting some mass effect rpg sequel.
You keep saying this, but that’s a straw man. From the moment it was revealed as a multiplayer-focused loot shooter, NOBODY was expecting a story on the same level as the Mass Effect series.

Personally I was just hoping for something that was a step above Destiny. I wasn’t expecting lots of character development, relationships, or impactful choices. But I hoped BioWare would at least create an exciting, well-paced narrative that had me constantly wanting to know what would happen next.

I don’t think that “not as bad as Destiny” is an unreasonable expectation for a BioWare game’s story.

Last edited:
So, max armor and shield are apparently broken. Now I have even less of an idea why my armor segment count sometimes changes from one mission to the next.

As for the global loot pool, this is still being worked out, but the loot pool expands at GM1. It may expand at GM2 and 3 too.

VertigoOA

Banned
You keep saying this, but that’s a straw man. From the moment it was revealed as a multiplayer-focused loot shooter, NOBODY was expecting a story on the same level as the Mass Effect series.

Personally I was just hoping for something that was a step above Destiny. I wasn’t expecting lots of character development, relationships, or impactful choices. But I hoped BioWare would at least create an exciting, well-paced narrative that had me constantly wanting to know what would happen next.

I don’t think that “not as bad as Destiny” is an unreasonable expectation for a BioWare game’s story.

As bad as destiny... you ever play destiny? I’m too used to posters being completely full of shit when it comes to online games.

So yea... if players still thought they were getting a narrative driven game... complete ignorance. They showed EXACTLY what the game was.

This game won’t touch destiny anyway.

And the random perks on gear ... look boring. My last concern is some throwaway story that is important for 10hrs

Bioware is amateur hour when it comes to gameplay compared to Bungie

Last edited:

shark sandwich

As bad as destiny... you ever play destiny? I’m too used to posters being completely full of shit when it comes to online games.

So yea... if players still thought they were getting a narrative driven game... complete ignorance. They showed EXACTLY what the game was.

This game won’t touch destiny anyway.

And the random perks on gear ... look boring. My last concern is some throwaway story that is important for 10hrs

Bioware is amateur hour when it comes to gameplay compared to Bungie
I’m talking about the story not the game as a whole.

sendit

Playing on EA Premiere (PC). I can't speak for the story as I've been skipping all the scenes:

+ shooting, flying, and overall feel of combat is great (very responsive)
+ graphics are clean and crisp

- Load Screen
- Load Time
- Movement in the city/hub is still incredibly slow
- QOL: Can't mass recycle useless gear before or after a mission
- QOL: Can't set a custom destination on the map
- QOL: No FPS limiter (this needs to be a requirement on PC, especially if you have capable hardware)

I'm sure there is more, but the load times are incredibly long.....even on a SSD. It felt like loading the world of GTAV going in to every mission. Incredibly annoying.

Last edited:
No text chat on PC. No promote to leader. No character screen in a game with RPG affixes.

Some of the oversights are just really frustrating.

Nothing worse than getting yanked into a load screen when you can see the dude right in front of you. :messenger_winking_tongue:

shark sandwich

Loading times are indeed bad, even with an NVMe drive. Although the bigger problem is that there are so damn many of them.

Just to complete a mission -> equip new gear -> start new mission you’ll see several long ass loading screens (plus the sloooow movement in town). This desperately needs to be sped up.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I have about an hour left on my 10 hours and I decided to buy the game. I guess I'm different compared to a lot of these impressions I'm reading so far because a significant of my 10 hours was spent walking around and talking to everyone. I really like the cut scenes and the dialog so far. I enjoy a lot of the characters I've run into and some of the encounters had me outright laughing. Also I really like the music. I have the soundtrack playing right now as I'm at work.

I stopped at just shy of the 10 hours because:
I just hit that massive roadblock where you need to do a ton of free roam challenges.

Looking forward to Friday!

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
If anyone wants to play (and hop on a discord or some such) let me know! I am on PC currently with Premier access. will have some time this week and weekend. US based player here GMT -6 (Chicago CST).

This is the first time I am posting a request like this, so if this is the wrong place (or it already exists and I am just failing at internetz) feel free to blast my post into the void.

Damn, really had high hopes for this, seems to be really split between people enjoying it and people who get bored quickly. May just wait for an inevitable price drop now as from a lot of the impressions it sounds quite light on content.
Honestly, the sci fi mech setting and movement mechanics combined with what I feel is a solid narrative/lore foundation is what is going to push me to purchase. Combined with their response on Twitter to some day 1 qol fixes should be enough for me to bang around in the game and enjoy myself based on the 10 hours I've played so far

Anyone on the x1x feel free to add me wholesalebeef33

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I trust aztecross more than any one else. His impressions seemed genuine. He’s not the kind of dude that just bitches about everything like every other opportunist hack youtuber like yongyea.

Last edited:

This sounds HORRIBLE.

Chest runs are as old as loot games. Anthem will be fine.

Remember all the hand-wringing over the loot cave? And Destiny's about as lite on the RPG as a looter shooter can be.

Top Bottom