• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Antigraviator (Wipeout/F-zero-esque racer) kickstarter PC,XB1

MauroNL

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1304393209/antigraviator

Searched but didn't see a thread for this. Looks ace and really needs more money to reach its €30.000 goal. Currently PC, Xbox One only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmB_g5RQilo

At its core Antigraviator is a futuristic racing game in the likes of Wipeout, F-zero, Redout and Fast Racing Neo/RMX. However, we do add a twist, players are able to trigger traps. These traps range from hover mines popping out of the ground, boulders breaking of rocks, tunnels collapsing to missiles fired from rocket launchers along the track.

Overtake your opponents by triggering traps and activating abilities in this fast paced futuristic racing game! Where death and destruction are part of the daily job, but so is the glory of winning races and the hard earned cash that comes with it! Crowds become ecstatic when they see pilots being decimated by driving into hover mines, vehicles exploding as they head nose first into falling rocks triggered by a rival pilot and engines exploding as they get pounded by rockets. This is not a sport for the faint of heart!

Single player versus AI
Local split-screen multiplayer with up to 4 players
Online Multiplayer with up to 8 players

We are planning a release on both Steam (PC, Linux and Mac) and Xbox One. We are already Greenlit and our Xbox One Dev Kits have already arrived. We are currently testing and modifying the game for the certification process that is needed for Xbox One. One question that gets asked a lot is if we have plans for a PlayStation 4 release? We can already reveal it will be the first stretch goal of this Kickstarter.

-shadow-

The amount of Wipeout clones lately is insane. Looks great though, might pledge a few bucks if they make more options available other than kickstarter itself.

bumpkin

I wish Nintendo would give us an F-Zero, even if it was just a remaster of GX with added online play for the Switch. I'd buy that shit so fast.

Wow, this genre is getting pretty crowded.

I'd rather wait for Formula Fusion, that's the only Wipeout clone that matters to me since it's being made by former devs.

Kent

I really wish people would make up their minds when saying a game is styled after Wipeout and F-Zero. Outside of the fact that your cars float and you race them, the actual gameplay is extremely different between the two.

Metalmarc

Turns on t.v loads up Youtube app, first video in my subscription i am not kidding a trailer for Redout, the new wipeout type game for the PS4 & XBox one

And switch has fast rmx,

and the wipeout collection is coming soon

Oh dear

Nanashrew

Banned
I really wish people would make up their minds when saying a game is styled after Wipeout and F-Zero. Outside of the fact that your cars float and you race them, the actual gameplay is extremely different between the two.

Not to mention all the track gimmicks in F-Zero that are made to kill you.

bumpkin

But with this, Fast RMX, Formula Fusion, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, who needs F-Zero anymore?
People who like true F-Zero? GX was a goddamn masterpiece.

Fast RMX is F-Zero without the soul. No clue what Formula Fusion even is, but it's probably just as second-rate as RMX. And Mario Kart is an entirely different style of racing.

low-G

What the fuck? The genre is crowded? A genre with literally 4-6 current entries is crowded?

There's more fucking turn based strategy games than this. There's more just about ANYTHING than this. You people are nuts.

Anyways, this looks great, and they already have a playable demo. Think I may pledge.

C.Mongler

So Wipeout meets Split/Second? Interesting. That said, poor timing for a Kickstarter though, I'll be passing as someone who bought Fast Racing RMX a month back and has a copy of the Wipeout Collection and his second copy of Redout pre-ordered. With Mario Kart 8D in my Switch currently, I've got way to many gotta-go-fast games on the docket to back another. Lord help us if this is the year Nintendo finally heeds F-Zero's call, too.

On that note, what the hell is with the vehicles' rocking motion in the preview? They look like if you even look at the control stick too hard it'll swing right off the track.

Pogonip

Neo Member
The fact that they have an alpha demo already and seem to be planning for a full game release in Fall 2017 is promising.

Will be keeping tabs on this. Always down for more Wipeout-style games.

None of these games ever compare to F-Zero. They all look like Wipeout clones. None of them have the same style of wide open tracks and 30 racers like F-Zero does.

ShutterMunster

Going to download this and give it a shot. The problem I have with a lot of these games is that they all look too much like Wipeout.

The space appears crowded because it's hard to distinguish one game from the other.

Gestault

It's interesting/weird seeing the pivot point of the ship be basically the vanishing point ahead of it. Watching the footage in the trailer (even more so with the split-screen), I can't decide how I feel about it.

I'm always down for another entry in this genre. Soundtrack is key, though.

I could not understand a word he was saying :(

Looks nice though.

The environmental triggers, remind me of Split/Second which I loved.

Surely the name would make more sense as "Antigravitator" with an extra t in there?

Robin64

None of these games ever compare to F-Zero. They all look like Wipeout clones. None of them have the same style of wide open tracks and 30 racers like F-Zero does.

Not to mention F-Zero has a weight to it that none of these games come close to. F-Zero feels like I am in a huge heavy vehicle and it's probably not very safe, these are that safe glidey floaty plastic vehicles.

I'm tired of these futuristic racers pitching themselves as F-Zero inspired, but aiming specifically for a Wipeout presentation. This, Redout and Fast RMX, look so clean. A big thing I miss is the laid back tone of F-Zero; eccentric characters, the cars were a little chunky, and track design was more open-ended, with less walls in the way and more chasms to fall into. I feel bad for nitpicking, because the game doesn't look bad at all. I just hope that one day, I open up one of these proposed "F-Zero inspired" racers and actually find something with the soul of F-Zero.

TDLink

It's great this sub genre is getting more games, but none even come close to F-Zero and that's very disappointing. They're all more like Wipeout. Beyond that key gameplay difference, the big thing F-zero has that none of these games do, is personality. Everything is way too sterile.

Putting any story mode aside, they have the substance but not the style. F-Zero has actual characters who are all sorts of weird like Captain Falcon or Samurai Goroh or Octoman or Zoda. This weird menagerie creates an interesting sci-fi world that encompasses the fast paced fun gameplay and makes it memorable. All of these games indie imitators have you pick these generic cars. There's no soul. Character adds a lot. I'm waiting for a team to do something actually like that. Make up crazy characters, give them some sort of motive for racing. Have a little bio section you can browse. Anything. It doesn't have to be a full on story mode, I understand the budget constraints. But even something like that really adds a lot to the flavour of the game. Without it, all of these games end up feeling extremely samey and lifeless.

Looks pretty neat but there's no way it'll hit its target. Plus with Wipeout Omega out in a couple of weeks it doesn't seem like very good timing really. Maybe Sony should contact one of these devs to make a proper sequel.

Magnet

Neo Member
We are funding the game ourselves with the aid of the Flemish Audiovisual Fund, a governmental fund in the Flemish part of Belgium that provides resources to local media, film and game projects. With this aid and our own funds we will be able to publish the game, however it will need some more polishing. We also hope to create a small budget for marketing our game. Next to that, we would really like to offer you guys a lot more content and more platforms to play on these are addressed the stretch goals for the project.

Since we realize that we are the new kids on the block, we also hope that Kickstarter will help us build a community. We are already looking forward to meeting and talking to all of you.

This does not seem like a great Kickstarter pitch. As far as I can gather, the game is already funded and the "core game" is finished, so there's hardly any urgency for contributing. They just want extra money for polish, marketing, and community building. That's a pretty tough sell. The structure of it really turns me off as well. Asking for marketing money before getting to port money? Who is more interested in contributing toward their marketing budget than contributing toward a port?

Anyway, I love Wipeout and am all for more Wipeout-inspired games, but I don't see any reason to back this project.

FinalAres

It's true, these games are Wipeout clones. That's really because Wipeout set the benchmark, not to be down on F-zero in anyway.

You can download the Alpha demo here: https://cyberneticwalrus.itch.io/antigraviator (330 MB)

"The build contains 3 playable levels, vehicle customization, single player versus AI and split-screen multiplayer."

It's pretty damn cool and generous for an Alpha demo. I really hope they make it, but they're only 10% of their goal and they have 15 days to go :/

Kent

Just tried the demo for it.

Yeah, this is not good. Claustrophobic courses, loose handling, blind corners everywhere, an awful UI and the worst graphical effect for a "boost" you could ever hope to see in a game. It's definitely nothing like F-Zero. At least it runs well, I suppose.

I realize it's a Kickstarter alpha, but this doesn't instill hope.

Unicorn

The amount of Wipeout clones lately is insane. Looks great though, might pledge a few bucks if they make more options available other than kickstarter itself.
Yes, there's been a real influx past couple of years.

Sadly it feels saturated now. BallisticNG eating all their lunches though on PC.

eso76

What the fuck? The genre is crowded? A genre with literally 4-6 current entries is crowded?

Yeah well, we went from zero to having Fast RMX, Formula Fusion and RedOut plus WipeOut remaster. And Grip and possibly a few others already released that people quickly forgot about.
Problem is they look a lot alike and none of them, from what I've seen, moves the genre forward in significant ways.
This looks good, but they all do.

Nanashrew

Banned
Star Wars Episode 1: Racer needs a clone. You got the blinding speed, some crazy tracks, deadly shortcuts, a health and repair system, lots of hazards, no weapons, interesting track gimmicks. In some ways it felt like a nice mix of F-Zero and Wipeout.

DSix

Banned
So many of those and yet not a single one that even looks like the gameplay is inspired by F-Zero instead of Wipeout.

nampad

I hate it when I read Wipeout clone but the actual gameplay doesn't resemble Wipeout due to missing key aspects (no weapons) or in this case another unique selling point (traps like in Split Second).

Top Bottom