• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any car experts here? Car Trouble!

Status
Not open for further replies.

heavenly

I have a 2001 Plymouth Neon. Maintenance has been up to date. No major problems. Got the transmission and coolant fluid flushed out recently. New thermostat and oil gasket.

However, just last week...I filled up my car with gas...same ole Shell/Texaco mid-grade gas...then the car refuses to start up. Note...I turn off my car when putting in gas. It makes that rolling sound like it's trying to start up but it doesn't. The battery isn't dead. All the lights and electrical equipment are working fine.

So, my mother tells me to get someone to jump me. Fortunately, the jump works and my car starts. Wake up in the morning...car starts up with no problems. A couple of days later, the car needs gas. Turn off car and fill it up with the same gas. The car will not start. I had to get a jump again.

I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow to have them look at it, but wanted to know if anyone had a familiar problem and knew what the issue was. Is my car screwed?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Could be the alternator. But you should still change your battery.

Tarazet

I don't think it's an electrical problem - your car seems to be having a problem hot-starting, which is not uncommon in modern cars. My Element and my dad's RX-8 both are more reluctant to start when they're hot. Do you press the gas pedal when you start it? If you do, don't...

raYne

AlphaSnake said:
Could be the alternator. But you should still change your battery.

Eh? I'm not even sure how it could possibly be the alternator. Yeah it could be bad but it wouldn't cause the non starting issue... especially if all the lights/electronics work.

Anyway... could be a lot of things, bad fuel pump, bad/fouled spark plugs, bad gas etc. You're on the right track with the "taking it in to have it checked out" plan. However, prepared to be charged a lot if it's not covered under warranty...

heavenly

raYne said:
Eh? I'm not even sure how it could possibly be the alternator. Yeah it could be bad but it wouldn't cause the non starting issue... especially if all the lights/electronics work.

Anyway... could be a lot of things, bad fuel pump, bad/fouled spark plugs, bad gas etc. You're on the right track with the "taking it in to have it checked out" plan. However, prepared to be charged a lot if it's not covered under warranty...

I got new spark plugs put in the car in August. I have a lifetime car warranty with Chrysler. So, I should be alright. If not, I'll get all the info I need from my dealership and then take it to a mom and pop car shop I trust.

Aren't all Shell/Texaco gas created alike? I thought they all carried the same brand. I have use that brand in the 3 years I've had the car outside of maybe five times using Exxon.

raYne

It's not really a question of "brand", for the most part gas is gas. The only thing that really matters is the octane.

That said, you can get bad gas from anywhere. It could be anything from a bad shipment to air getting into the gas mixture somehow... either of those situations result in "bad gas".

But yea... get it checked out. :p

heavenly

raYne said:
It's not really a question of "brand", for the most part gas is gas. The only thing that really matters is the octane.

That said, you can get bad gas from anywhere. It could be anything from a bad shipment to air getting into the gas mixture somehow... either of those situations result in "bad gas".

But yea... get it checked out. :p

Thanks for the info.

heavenly

fart said:
you're putting 89 octane into a neon?

Regular is 89 octane, right? I have put regular gas in my car, maybe once or twice since I've had it for 3 years. For the most part, I have always put in mid-grade, which I think is 91 or 92 octane, if I'm not mistaken.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
That's weird that your car will start once it's been jumped. I still think it's a battery problem, though. Not necessarily a dead battery, perhaps some corrosion somewhere.

Tarazet

heavenly said:
Regular is 89 octane, right? I have put regular gas in my car, maybe once or twice since I've had it for 3 years. For the most part, I have always put in mid-grade, which I think is 91 or 92 octane, if I'm not mistaken.

Around here, regular is 87, mid-grade is 89 and premium is 91.

fart

Savant
some states get 93. i'm about 100% sure you don't need to put anything more than 87 into your neon though.

aoi tsuki

Does your car need a full tank of gas every three or so days? Unless you're putting some serious miles on it, that sounds like another potential issue.

cubanb

Banned
if only a jumpstart works, try driving around for half an hour after the jumpstart, it might recharge the alternator if thats the problem*

*Im wasted right now, so disregard any advice I give you

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
heavenly said:
I have a 2001 Plymouth Neon.

That's your problem, right there. ZING!

Seriously though:

Possibility 1: Check the battery. Any battery can go bad -- I had to replace the battery in my brand new VW convertible at around 4,500 miles, because it had a bad cell. Your service department can check for this. You should be still under your bumper to bumper warranty, so replacing the battery may very well be free.

Possibility 2: Check the alternator. It shouldn't be bad after 3 years, but it's certainly possible.

Possibility 3: Gas. I don't think it's a problem with the gas. You don't need to put in a higher octane gas than is recommended by the manufacturer, unless your car is having problems with knocking & pinging. Otherwise it's a waste of money. Also, if it was bad gas, other people would be having problems with it, too. So I don't think it's the gas at all.

Possibility 4: The "hot starting" issue sonarrat mentioned. I haven't heard about cars having this problem, but it's possible. You should be able to verify it by simulating refueling -- drive for an amount of time similar to the amount you drive when you get gas, stop somewhere, turn the car off, wait for about the amount of time it takes you to fill up, then restart the car. If you have the same problems starting as you do when you refuel, then it's probably something along the "hot starting" issue.

Possibility 5: You're leaving your radio (and possibly other accessories) on while you refuel. If your battery's on its last legs, even a few minutes running electrical devices without the engine on will drain it. Replacing the battery will fix this.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom