• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any chance for a remake/remaster for Morrowind and Oblivion now that Bethesda is under Microsoft?

GreyHorace

Just to preface, I never played an Elder Scrolls game until I got Skyrim for the Xbox 360 way back in 2012. I greatly enjoyed it and I've always been curious about the previous two games in the series. I've read that Morrowind has been called the best of them and has never been topped, while Oblivion has also been praised. It's too bad I never got around to play them.

It'd be nice to see a remaster of these two old games, but I'd really like Bethesda to remake them with the updated visuals of Skyrim's latest version. I'm hoping with their recent acquisition by Microsoft, Bethesda could get around to this.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There is no need, both of these games have already been "remastered" on the Xbox One X. Both games got huge resolution bumps, higher texture resolution, longer draw distances, as well as buttery smooth 60fps game play. In addition, the loading times on Morrowind (vs the OG Xbox) are insanely fast by comparison.

Both of these games being "X Enhanced" means they'll likely also benefit greatly from running on a Series X.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Microsoft is a $300 billion corporation with a multi-billion dollar budget for Xbox, they can do whatever they want. It's more likely now and I'd love a remaster for either game.

But Bethesda is working on TESVI and Starfield right now?
Why would MS care to throw an additional project on their tables invest in remasters of older game if they can just make them available via Gamepass at any time?

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Microsoft is a $300 billion corporation with a multi-billion dollar budget for Xbox, they can do whatever they want. It's more likely now and I'd love a remaster for either game.

Are we in the year 1990? I think you mean 1.5T. That doesn't mean it's now an MS hobby to remaster old games hardly anyone would pay for (or move the Game Pass needle).

Are we in the year 1990? I think you mean 1.5T. That doesn't mean it's now an MS hobby to remaster old games hardly anyone would pay for (or move the Game Pass needle).
I think I was going by CEO net worth, my fault.

They've been doing plenty of them, "why not?" is what I'd say.

MH3M3D

Microsoft has always been a giant compared to Sony. How much good did that do them? PS2 still crushed Xbox, PS3 still beat the 360 in the end and the PS4 crushed the Xbox One. You need competent management and talent, not just money.

Microsoft has always been a giant compared to Sony. How much good did that do them? PS2 still crushed Xbox, PS3 still beat the 360 in the end and the PS4 crushed the Xbox One. You need competent management and talent, not just money.
Their money bought them a bunch of talented studios and Zenimax is no exception. Now they have a better chance.

A Morrowind remaster that's an exclusive GamePass title would be incredible. Same with Oblivion. And hell, maybe Microsoft/Bethesda could work with the modders that were remaking Morrowind using the Skyrim engine on PC and help them finish that up and then port their work to the XSX/XSS.

johntown

Banned
Oblivion or Morrowind properly remaster would be a dream come true! I am tired of waiting for Skywind which will be obsolete by the time it releases if it ever does.

bender

What time is it?
They'd just fuck up Morrowind with their modern design philosophy. Oblivion is the series flashpoint anyway and makes more sense for a remaster. It has less varied environments to remaster and the game systems were already streamlined as that game was developed with consoles in mind.

Reactions: GHG
If you're on PC just wait for the mods that are being developed (morrowind and oblivion on the engine of skyrim). They'll be better than anything Bethesda might make.

Dolomite

I would shit on the sidewalk in broadway for the chance to play an authentic next gen Morrowind (Shut up PC Mod community I said authentic)

EDMIX

Remaster....maybe. Remake, fuck no. After such a buyout, they are looking to bank and recoup. They only likely want safe investments.

A few weeks ago I remember saying to a friend that it was weird we didn't get a Fallout 3, NV or Oblivion or Morrowind remaster with with mods on PS4 and XONE. That shit right there is free money lol

So at the very least you'll probably see some remasters or something put out. Full on remake? Unlikely. Like...not for a long while.

Matt_Fox

A Morrowind remaster that's an exclusive GamePass title would be incredible. Same with Oblivion. And hell, maybe Microsoft/Bethesda could work with the modders that were remaking Morrowind using the Skyrim engine on PC and help them finish that up and then port their work to the XSX/XSS.

I never understood why Bethesda didn't leverage the amazing work of modders more. The USLEEP mod that fixes every bug and is considered essential by any PC player, could and should have been baked into the Special Edition when it released... but nope.

With 'Creation Club' Bethesda finally seem to have started to develop a working relationship with some modders, but it's pretty small beer (often just single swords or an armour set) compared to the massive scale of many mods (such as the Morrowind or Oblivion complete overhauls).

There is no need, both of these games have already been "remastered" on the Xbox One X. Both games got huge resolution bumps, higher texture resolution, longer draw distances, as well as buttery smooth 60fps game play. In addition, the loading times on Morrowind (vs the OG Xbox) are insanely fast by comparison.

Both of these games being "X Enhanced" means they'll likely also benefit greatly from running on a Series X.
Oblivion runs like shit on my One X. It doesn't run at 60fps, either, still 30.

Last edited:

Starfield

Okay, let me get this straight for people who may not be following The Elder Scrolls or its nodding community so much:

There won't be a remaster.
Atleast not done by Bethesda Game Studios themselves.

They'd have to outsource is since they aren't that big of a dev team.

We will get a remaster in creation engine of Morrowind and Oblivion though.

There are HUGE nodding teams behind Skyblivion and Skywind.

You could say actual dev studios who are doing this project in their free time.

Bethesda would be stupid to A) waste resources on a Morrowind remaster when they have fans building it. They are focused on Starfield and then ES6

B) they'd get a shitton of complaints by the nodding community. There's teams and people who have already dedicated YEARS in these projects.

Won't happen. Atleast not by BGS.

Go and look what the teams fo Skywind and Skyblivion are doing though. Their work is incredible and they aim to deliver a remaster that is worthy of the AAA standard and to be called an Elder Scrolls game

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If there’s a remaster if these ancient games then hopefully it’s done by some outsourced studio.

I want Bethesda making ES6, not Morriwind HD.

add ML HDR on the new machines as certain

maybe they can alter a few lines of code to enable high framerates.

Last edited:

Roufianos

If there’s a remaster if these ancient games then hopefully it’s done by some outsourced studio.

I want Bethesda making ES6, not Morriwind HD.

Well it being outsourced seems to be the whole point of this thread really. MS obviously have more resources than Bethesda.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You don't want a Morrowind remake. They'd remove everything that makes it Morrowind.

You can't tell Skyrim players that "yes, your sword is swinging through that monster, but you didn't put enough points into swords, so you're not hitting it".

Alebrije

Do not believe they will remaster Morrowind or other ES game, people are more focused on the new game...

Trogdor1123

I saw a video on this the other day and he made a decent case for it. It remains unlikely for the significantly older ones but fallout 4, Skyrim, and maybe new Vegas, fallout 3, and oblivion could possibly get something. Anything older than those is almost certainly a no, sadly.

The Alien

Banned
Regardless of $$$, they are focused on looking forward and delivering Elder Scrolls 6.

Top Bottom