• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any chance Nintendo with put out Super Metroid on the GBA?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
ds really would make more sense -- it has the right number of buttons, the resolution is closer to snes, and a map is still probably the least stupid use of the second screen.

Red Scarlet

Hopefully not on the GBA. Not enough buttons (auto-run would be very bad) and a squished resolution. Maybe DS or just wait for the Revolution.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Property of Jumpship said:
That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, if it hits the DS I will be forced to buy one. Damn Kyoto Ninjas.

Meh, Super Metroid's ambiance is best enjoyed in a quiet room anyways. ZSNES FTW, etc.

tedtropy said:
Meh, Super Metroid's ambiance is best enjoyed in a quiet room anyways. ZSNES FTW, etc.

I think I'm starting to like the simplicity and convenience of portable systems over the TV consoles. This could just be a phase though.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I think I'm starting to like the simplicity and convenience of portable systems over the TV consoles. This could just be a phase though.

If we were talking about PC gaming I could understand, but what exactly is complicated about console gaming?

snatches

Yeah, you never stay committed for long.....do you? :D

I think in the future Nintendo will offer the virtual console downloads not only for the Revolution, but for DS/GB Evo as well.

They'll probably offer a cartridge for the DS with a SD Card slot or something that you can store your games on for DS.

soundwave05 said:
I think in the future Nintendo will offer the virtual console downloads not only for the Revolution, but for DS/GB Evo as well.

They'll probably offer a cartridge for the DS with a SD Card slot or something that you can store your games on for DS.

Not a chance. Nintendo = Milk

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Bathtub gaming.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I am the only person on this board who thinks Super Metroid is a mediocre game (due to its random wall-blasting/scanning secrets and incredibly boring art/level design) and who simultaneously loves Zero Mission for its clever puzzles and incredibly excellent art/level design.

Just wanted to get that out there.

Red Scarlet

Not the only probably, but likely a small minority.

The level design in ZM isn't that great if you've already played the first Metroid game.
Super compared to 1 and 2 was a pretty big jump, due to the new stuff you could do and the big areas to begin with.

ZM, like Fusion, is a little more compact than Super. What did you find poor about Super's level design? There was lots of random wall shooting in ZM, which uses the Fusion engine.
Not really sure how you could find the art design in Super boring and the downgraded ZM's amazing..but that's what makes us all different. :)

Chairman Yang

Red Scarlet said:
ZM, like Fusion, is a little more compact than Super. What did you find poor about Super's level design? There was lots of random wall shooting in ZM, which uses the Fusion engine.

Well, I found a lot of SM's hidden items (most of them, in fact) to require tons of random wall-scanning/blasting/superbombing. There were lots of items that really had no clues to get to them.

ZM, on the other hand, had clues to finding the items (at the very least) or little mini-puzzles using your abilities for some of them--I don't recall any points where I had to randomly shoot crap to find an item. That's really what I liked about the level design. I also thought ZM's locations felt more interesting, vibrant, and real, while SM just felt like a giant, randomly-generated maze.

Red Scarlet

Chairman Yang said:
Well, I found a lot of SM's hidden items (most of them, in fact) to require tons of random wall-scanning/blasting/superbombing. There were lots of items that really had no clues to get to them.

ZM, on the other hand, had clues to finding the items (at the very least) or little mini-puzzles using your abilities for some of them--I don't recall any points where I had to randomly shoot crap to find an item. That's really what I liked about the level design. I also thought ZM's locations felt more interesting, vibrant, and real, while SM just felt like a giant, randomly-generated maze.

Items in all the Metroids have some that are hidden and out of the way..ZM is no different.
Oh, so you liked the hints. Okay. SM was about exploration and using items to get somewhere new. ZM had the clues to help you out if you never played Metroid 1 before.

There's lots of items in ZM that you had to randomly shoot crap to find an item. Lots of items in the mother ship, quite a few missiles, E-Tanks. I'd be pretty sure that instead of 'randomly shooting/scanning' was replaced by 'randomly using bombs' in ZM.

Chairman Yang

Are you sure? I remember some sort of clue (sometimes a small visual cue) for every hidden item in ZM, or at least most of them. I remember almost none in SM.

Red Scarlet

You are probably remembering those 'hint Chozo statues'. Without them there weren't clues about where (suit upgrade) items were. There are dots on the maps in Super and ZM for items. I don't remember if every item had a dot in Super, though (been a long time since I looked at the map). You could also be thinking of the little chart thing after you beat Zero Mission once, where in addition to the dots on the map, the game tells you how many of each expansion is in an area.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Red Scarlet said:
You are probably remembering those 'hint Chozo statues'. Without them there weren't clues about where (suit upgrade) items were. There are dots on the maps in Super and ZM for items. I don't remember if every item had a dot in Super, though (been a long time since I looked at the map). You could also be thinking of the little chart thing after you beat Zero Mission once, where in addition to the dots on the map, the game tells you how many of each expansion is in an area.

If you downloaded a map upgrade in Super Metroid, it would show you a dot where each mapped item is. However, there were plenty of areas that don't show up on the map download with items (so no dots).

Honestly I'd rather have Metroid II than Super Metroid updated/ported. It's the one game in the series I still haven't beaten. I've played the rest to death...

Red Scarlet

Thaedolus said:
If you downloaded a map upgrade in Super Metroid, it would show you a dot where each mapped item is. However, there were plenty of areas that don't show up on the map download with items (so no dots).

Honestly I'd rather have Metroid II than Super Metroid updated/ported. It's the one game in the series I still haven't beaten. I've played the rest to death...

I don't think every area came up on the downloaded maps in ZM, either (the green-colored rooms on the map).

Why haven't you gotten through 2?

Top Bottom