• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any games like "They stole a Million" out there.?

Hanmik

I just wathed the Payday 2 trailer.. left disappointed. I don´t want a FPS bank robbery game.

See back when I was a kid, I had this amazing game system called "Commodore 64"

Commodore64.jpg

on there I played a game called "They Stole a Million"... and that game stole a Million seconds of my life. I freaking loved it.

putrh.gif

it was simply a brilliant game for it´s time.

Graphics are simple, but perfect for this kind of game:
they_stole_a_million-2.gif

The player tried to become the new "big Boss" in town. You had to pull of some exciting heist´s to make a lot of money.
You had to do all the fun stuff.

- Set the target. You chose what place you want to rob, and buy the blueprints for the place. You could buy additional details (like alarm locations etc.) if you had the money.
- Hire a Team. The various Heist´s required different people. Driver, Explosion guy etc. You could hire different people. The more money the better the people, but they also took a bigger part of the money you make from the Job.
- Pick Fence. You had to choose a guy that would buy the stuff you steal. Some gave more money for specific valuables.
- Plan Raid. This was the fun part. You saw an overview map, where you could decide the routes of the different team members, and what they should do. You had to plan it to the smallest detail.

Once you had done this, the Heist began. The hired team would do just as you told them, but you (as the boss) could also participate. You controlled this person. It was really nerve wrecking and fun..

You can see a video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1b460oNXQ

so now my question is..

Are there any games like this today..? I have never seen a game like this, but would really love to play something like They Stole a Million again..

mclem

I've plugged They Stole A Million in a few past threads; it's a great game rooted around a brilliant idea. I've not actually played it, but I *believe* Monaco isn't far off that. I don't think it has the planning stage, I'm afraid, but it's more strategic than a straight FPS.

I do keep toying with the idea of developing a game inspired by it myself. I like the idea of a game based around 'programming' a plan then executing it, changing on the fly as necessary.

Top Bottom