• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gaming sites you used to be a regular at but no longer use?

There was this Atari Jaguar news and rumors site back in the day whose name I don't recall... now there was no way I was gonna get my parents get me an Atari Jaguar after all I already had SNES and Sega Genesis... The point is I was really cheering the Jaguar on, and would check that site religiously, but I don't visit anymore since I'm starting to think that maybe Atari Jaguar isn't going to grab its rightful market share.

I did finally pick up my Atari Jaguar a few years ago, doesn't really read games properly though, probably needs a good cleaning.

It was a very silly place but GameSpot System Wars was my favorite place on the internet for many years.

Message boards in general seem to be on their way out. It's a shame because it's my favorite type of way to communicate on the internet.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I used to go on NTSC-uk a lot but it got a bit boring. It was the same old people posting the same old things over and over again. It also got a bit cliquey with some people just looking for arguments.

Season 6 Nbc GIF by This Is Us

GeekyDad

I was using GameFAQs daily up until a few months ago. But I still check in from time to time. I was a moderator on both Nintendo's Nsider forums and Gamespot, but of course, Nsider closed down, and Gamespot...well, I don't remember anymore why I stopped going there. That was years ago. Probably work just became too demanding. That's probably also the reason why I spend more time here in the off-topic forum than in games. I just didn't have the time or energy to invest in anything more than handheld/phone games -- quick-fix stuff.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Kotaku, 1up, IGN. Screwattack.
Probably forgotten the others.

I really liked the old screw attack stuff back in the day. it was different and funny but then people left and some other stuff happened such as the site being some.

the original co owner of screw attack launched his own site and I think that went kaput also.

Last edited:

NahaNago

It was mostly ign and gamefaqs with a bit of gamespot. Ign kept changing the way the site looked and I just ended up hating the changes so I just slowly stopped going there. I did go to kotaku for a bit before gamergate. The last site I used to go to was dualshockers.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
SystemWars.net

Most fun I ever had on a forum, used to be fun and active back in like 2004-2013. Just pure chaos and fun.

Hunter 99

Resetera...
Used to be my go to site but since the hogwarts legacy boycott I never visited it since.
Also been a massive potter fan since 90s primary school days.literally only chamber of secrets was out when I started reading it.
Most ridiculous controversy ever for a game.
Let people play the game and stop trying to change history on a book series that was done by the 2000s.

Laptop1991

PC Gamer, the gaming sites have gotten worse over the years with clickbait topics ans ads, i spent most of the time on actual forums of games companies like Bethesda and Ubisoft etc, but they have disappeard.

johnnyKage5

Neo Member
PSU.com
was fine up until it was covered in rainbow vomit.
gametrailers.com used to watch the top ten games and retrospectives.

-Minsc-

Good morning all.

Now this is a trip 23+ years to the past. I have to back to the very beginning and start with www.gamerevolution.com. This is the first webite in memory I used for game reviews. The original site has that wonderful Web 1.0 design. They graded by letter in their reviews.

Since we had an N64 the next website was probably N64.com which eventually took on the IGN name. IGN was my main home for quite a while.

On man, you're a real old timer just like me! Heck you might even predate my peak era on that site, I had the best time there before the insider boards broke up community boards and everything got consolidated onto the vestibule, although the early years of the vesti were still pretty fun though, back in the Tal era, when it was stern but fair.

I created my IGN account for the boards back in the summer of 2000. Looking back, it was my first summer since graduating from high school and I decided to dive deeper into the internet instead of getting my drivers license. There was definitely some great fun on the IGN Boards. I remember the Space World 2000 Party thread and the hype surrounding the event. Seeing a thread explode into thousands of posts was an impressive sight back in the day. In 2001 I jumped into the game Phantasy Star Online and settled into the PSO boards. It was a different era where individual games could have their own sub-forum. I remember a fellow making these "Good Morning All" threads (hence the opening the this post). One thing I was envious of was the fancy moderator coloured usernames.

Last I checked, archives of the original 2000's IGN Boards seem to be lost. I can neither find my old posts in my own post history or on the internet archive.

Memories:

I remember the forums during Sept. 11, 2001.

Forum-wise I was on one called Planet Gamecube, then latched on to Xengamers / Modojo for a long time. After that died off I took a long time off gaming forums, gave ResetEra a go eventually (and it was horrible, and I got banned) then ended up here.
I frequented PlanetGamecube quite a bit back in the. Might have started reading back when it was N2000.com. Into the WiiU era it probably became my main Nintendo news source (outside forums and YouTube).

~*~*~*~*~

Today I don't look into games like I used to. After the Switch was revealed I let that aspect of my life dwindle. If I do look into anything gaming I may check an odd thread here or watch some videos on YouTube.

Reactions: cjp

Laieon

Resetera...
Used to be my go to site but since the hogwarts legacy boycott I never visited it since.
Also been a massive potter fan since 90s primary school days.literally only chamber of secrets was out when I started reading it.
Most ridiculous controversy ever for a game.
Let people play the game and stop trying to change history on a book series that was done by the 2000s.

This is exactly what I came to say too. By that point I was already pretty fed up with the site anyway due to the clear favoritism of certain members, but that was absolutely the straw that broke the camel's back.

Hunter 99

Glad you agree Laieon. It got progressively worse over the past year or so.Too much with the this game doesn't include/misrepresents LGBT people or this game doesn't include every single ethnic minority/race of people so its offensive.
I get times have moved on but stop forgetting about the fundamental reasons we play games and not the minor things eg sexual orientation of a character.
I didn't play Sonic 2 in 94 thinking why isn't Sonic Green?why is he a male and not an option for him to be female?
Or silent Hill 2 in 2001 thinking why is James Sunderland looking for his wife Mary and not a husband called Martin.
What is the world coming to...its a strange life my friend.believe me.
Rant over..apologies for the long post 🫣

Hunter 99

This is exactly what I came to say too. By that point I was already pretty fed up with the site anyway due to the clear favoritism of certain members, but that was absolutely the straw that broke the camel's back.
☝️post above this

RavageX

I don't visit any much anymore. This is the only one I actively talk and visit. Gamefaqs I still use, but don't talk there. N4G is no longer news, just a bunch of (bad) opinion articles.

For the most part they just don't feel fun, maybe I'm old now, or games aren't as interesting...I dunno.

Some mentioned names I had long forgotten, 1up being one.

RavageX

Glad you agree Laieon. It got progressively worse over the past year or so.Too much with the this game doesn't include/misrepresents LGBT people or this game doesn't include every single ethnic minority/race of people so its offensive.
I get times have moved on but stop forgetting about the fundamental reasons we play games and not the minor things eg sexual orientation of a character.
I didn't play Sonic 2 in 94 thinking why isn't Sonic Green?why is he a male and not an option for him to be female?
Or silent Hill 2 in 2001 thinking why is James Sunderland looking for his wife Mary and not a husband called Martin.
What is the world coming to...its a strange life my friend.believe me.
Rant over..apologies for the long post 🫣

Back in the day, I used to constantly push the issue that minorities weren't well represented in games. I personally just wanted to see more options as far as creating a player, avatar, etc. I wanted to see a variety of appearances in games like Infamous, or Resistance. This was around the time when a lot of characters fell into the, "shaved head, low haircut, generic looking guy.

There were still games that were unique. A clever well designed female lead, different leads of games....Primal, Sleeping Dogs are just a couple of examples. Different without making a huge deal.

NOW, flood gates have opened but not in exactly a positive way. You have ALL shapes and sizes, genders and sexual interests which seems to be the main focus for some. Be damned if the game is any good, it better have representation of everything under the sun and some that haven't even been thought of yet.

I realized that the idea was lost once it became a big deal to have transgender representation IN OUTER SPACE with ALIENS in THE FUTURE. Why in the world would that be a focus? You have aliens that have no gender at all, but there must be representation still or it is offensive?

And I sometimes STILL can't make a character that looks like me., because I don't have some weird ass haircut and don't wear strange clothes.

I feel this way about the popularity of games, growing up I wished more people were into games. I definitely got my wish, but at what cost? Influencers and bullshit like that. Twitchers and whatnot being involved IN games. Online play full of swearing 8 year olds that do nothing but say random racist words for whatever reason.

Indie games that look like someone took a crap on the screen(or look "retro" for some reason...laziness) and get pushed to high heaven.

It feels like gaming has been taken over by a different audience, maybe as a whole...it's not for me anymore.

UnNamed

Banned
GT, IGN for some time, Kotaku when it was a gaming site, Gamespy, and Retardera before they banned me when I exposed their hypocrisy.

Some Italian sites, now I have less time to spend on the internet so GAF is the only one for me.

Way back in the day I was on Gametrailers as teenager. I remember people arguing over Metroid Other M, Mass Effect 3’s ending, and other big topics. Good times. Would probably still be there if it hadn’t shuttered.

Then I went on and found Destructoid and mainly visited them for news and participated in the comments section a lot as well. That was my main site until around 2018. They slowly went completely woke. A bunch of my comments would just be deleted right after making them if the mods had an issue with them.

I remember the first time I got annoyed was on a topic about censoring hate speech in Rainbow Six Seige. All I commented was that I played the game regularly and didn’t hear many people say slurs, and the only time I heard the N-word was when a few black guys on my team threw it around casually. My post was insta deleted because it vaguely went against their narrative.

Another time I asked why they were using the word “they” for a singular person, because I legitimately couldn’t tell if the article was talking about one person or multiple. Got reprimanded by a mod and several users sperged out at me.

At that point I just stopped going there and started going here. Occasionally I go back and see if anything’s changed but the last time I did they were refusing to review Hogwarts Legacy lol. It’s basically a bootleg Era now.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
For years, IGN was my go to gaming site for overall news stuff... I went to Nintendo only sites too... Can't remember the name but ... I think after the last time I went to E3 (2013)... I stopped and got my news almost exclusively from GAF

Top Bottom