• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any living 60GB PHAT PS3 around today? Lawsuit Sony/Nvidia?

longdi

Banned
Mine got YLOD which i had thought i revived it via changing paste and heating the motherboard. It was not majorly used so not enough remelting of the solder joints?

Can we get a lawsuit against Nvidia? I suspect it is the same laptop GPU fiasco. I can understand lens wear and tear but just not booting up is too much. My PS1, PS2, PSP all survived abuse with working motherboard.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I have mine and it works fine. Although I had to pay Sony $150 to replace the Blu-ray drive a couple years ago.

Runus

Mine works like the day I bought it. Never had an issue. Which is amazing considering what a pos my ps2 was.

offshore

I've been through three PS3 phats that Sony sent me when my original died. Current one sounds like a jet engine.

About a year I tried to turn mine on and it just beeps a few times then shuts right back off, not sure if thats YLOD.
My copy of Saints Row 2 is actually still in it.

I thought about sending it in to Sony but havent yet for a couple reasons. First of all, $150 could be spent on better shit and secondly I want the same one back and I worry i wont get mine back but a newer non-BC model.

For now it sits repackaged in my closet and I just use the slim i bought after the day it died.

longdi

Banned
Those with living PHAT 60GB, did you use it regularly, like how regularly often? 2hrs a day, 7 days a week? Or at least 15hrs a week?

MANGOD

Banned
Not wanting to jinx things but mine has not had any problems since launch. Wish I could say the same about my other next gen console!

offshore

Pkm said:
I thought about sending it in to Sony but havent yet for a couple reasons. First of all, $150 could be spent on better shit and secondly I want the same one back and I worry i wont get mine back but a newer non-BC model.
You won't get your current console back, but you get a 60GB back so it will have BC.

snacknuts

we all knew her
longdi said:
Those with living PHAT 60GB, did you use it regularly, like how regularly often? 2hrs a day, 7 days a week? Or at least 15hrs a week?

Well, my 360 has been dead for about six months and I don't have any TV service, so I use mine basically every day for gaming and for watching stuff on Netflix/playing DVDs. 15 hrs a week is probably spot on.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm worried about mine to. The fan starts to spin very loudly after only about 20-30 minutes or so of play. I'm not sure if it's just because of themps (i try my best to clean it) or what, but i'm worried that it's gonna go YLOD on me.

Mine still works, but the wifi isn't as strong as it used to be. Played tons of KZ2 on it which may have damaged it a bit.

Manufactured in Japan if it makes any difference.

offshore said:
You won't get your current console back, but you get a 60GB back so it will have BC.

Thing that bothers me most is I cant deactivate it. So because of gamesharing with co-workers I am screwed on my earlier purchases. On top of that I cant seem to be able to download movies with my PSN ID since I think you can only have 1 ID registered to 1 PS3 for the video store.

iam220

Mine died after a system update about 6 months ago. Pretty sure those things are ticking timebombs, if you got one that is still working I recommend a animal sacrifice about every fortnight to keep the console gods happy.

Oni Jazar

I've got a 60gb refurb (my first YLOD'd) that runs OK gets loud as hell.

Pkm said:
Thing that bothers me most is I cant deactivate it. So because of gamesharing with co-workers I am screwed on my earlier purchases. On top of that I cant seem to be able to download movies with my PSN ID since I think you can only have 1 ID registered to 1 PS3 for the video store.

Take it or mail it to a 3rd party repair shop. You will get your same system back, keep your saves/activation and have a warranty with it.

Hobbun

60GB phat here and still works perfectly.

And if it does die, it's getting repaired. BC too important to me.

Garjon

Mine makes horrible squeaking noises whenever I play any open-world game, especially Just Cause 2.
I don't think it has much left :(

Dizzy-4U

60gb here. I revived it from YLOD 3 times already. 3 minutes into any game, the fans start running at full speed and it sounds like the ps3 is about to take off.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Mine's working perfectly. Never had any indication of a problem. Works like it did back in 06.

Hex

Banned
Mine was perfect from launch day until I sold it some months ago so the answer is no, no sue happy american people you can not have a lawsuit.
Was this even a serious post?

Now I have an 80gb (partially b/c), but wish it was still my 60.

ascully

Launch unit still working here, I only fire it up once a week to watch a movie in my projector room though. The Slim I have upstairs is the one I use for gaming.

1-D_FTW

Stick a hot GPU into a small case with terrible ventilation and question quality control with thermal application and this is what you get. Blame the suits. I doubt the engineers were this stupid. They had to have been overridden by the artists that need beauty in their products.

If I could look at both designs 5 years ago and know they were shit, so did the engineers. Unfortunately, form over function is what sells product.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just to be clear, the TC wants to sue them because his HW failed?

I know the thermal issue and all but this is one of the things that was sorted out in later models. Not that those won't die either. No HW is fail proof unfortunately.

Gravijah

LiquidMetal14 said:
Just to be clear, the OP wants to sue them because his HW failed?

It would be similar to the RROD situation, just not as extreme. Or maybe as extreme, it just takes a few years longer. -shrugs-

LiquidMetal14 said:
Just to be clear, the TC wants to sue them because his HW failed?

I know the thermal issue and all but this is one of the things that was sorted out in later models. Not that those won't die either. No HW is fail proof unfortunately.
pretty much, what a douche

my 60gb works fine

Stick a hot GPU into a small case with terrible ventilation and question quality control with thermal application and this is what you get. Blame the suits. I doubt the engineers were this stupid. They had to have been overridden by the artists that need beauty in their products.

yea cuz the PS3 has TERRIBLE ventilation...

Have you seen the size of the heatsink/fan in that thing?

Launch unit fine here.

The first 4 months I had it turned on constantly - 24/7 - due to folding proteins on Folding @ Home. Sturdy piece of hardware. PAL 60 GB unit.

Top Bottom