• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any modern game with a intro like that?

coffinbirth

A truly epic opening indeed!

There are so many really good ones, but tbh, it's hard choosing "best" or anything like that. The opening(first 15 minutes or so) of TLOU was one of the most jaw dropping things I had seen in a video game at the time, and possibly since...and I'm not even a huge fan of that series. It "felt" like the awe of playing Mario 64 for the first time, if that makes sense. It felt...next level for the medium.
Unless you mean, specifically, intro cutscenes, then I dunno.

Beechos

Heres some games off the top of my head with some good openings.

Metal gear solid
Final fantasy 7
God of wars
Forza horizon 4 and 5

radewagon

GIF by moodman

I clicked on this link thinking, "It better be Onimusha 3" and I was not disappointed.

Ozzie666

I don't see DCUO intro from 2011. This was one of the best I've ever seen from the voice actors to the game set-up. Fantastic take on the material.

Wow that's the INTRO?!!

WTF does the ending look like ??!!!
Unfortunately, Onimusha 3 only has an opening CG cinematic. Which is one of the reasons why I think it’s the worst Onimusha game. All the other games have awesome openings (though not as awesome as this) and other CG cinematics sprinkled throughout the game as well.

On topic, OP, I don’t think there’s been a game since Onimusha 3 that had such a significant emphasis on its opening. It’s clear that the opening was an insane amount of the game’s budget considering the fact that the rest of the game has no CG cutscenes. I would have preferred that they shortened the opening a tad and used some of that budget for a couple more nice cinematics throughout the game. As is, it’s like the best part of the game is the very beginning and the rest of the experience pales in comparison.

There’s plenty of other games with awesome CG openings, but they might not be as lengthy, or as high quality in visual fidelity, or as well-choreographed.

Final Fantasy XII has a lengthy 7 minute opening and that came out in 2006. Still gorgeous today but not as visually impressive as O3’s opening (but still very beautiful).

Last edited:

N30RYU

You don't need a long CG... Lost Odyseey CG intro transition to gameplay is one of the best till this day

Last edited:
Top Bottom