• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Oculus Quest 2 owners here? Thoughts on the device?

Romulus

I am very interested in the Quest 2. I own the Oculus Go and I've enjoyed it quite a bit, so I assume this is a huge step up from that.

I am also interested to tethering it to my pc. I have an okay machine and I ran the Steam VR benchmark and it is "capable" - it recommends a vid card upgrade.
Now, does that mean I can play a game like Half Life Alyx on lower settings, or is it a matter of some games not working at all unless I hit the "ready" spec.
I fully understand I would not be getting the full experience on pc, but I've no plans to buy a new card soon and I would be happy with just the Quest 2 software regardless.

Thanks in advance.

Oculus Go to Quest 2 is probably 2 generations forward, or more. Just the 6dof alone blows GO away, not to mention everything else that is leagues better along with pcvr support.

I would actually say that GO is barely even VR at all, whereas the Quest 2 is good VR.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
As Someone else said. This gets me much more excited than the ps5 or xbox series x. This is a true evolution, not just pretty graphics and faster loading. The camera tracking is said to be unreal. I'm a 41 year old man who is giddy for this for xmas!

Gamer79

I am very interested in the Quest 2. I own the Oculus Go and I've enjoyed it quite a bit, so I assume this is a huge step up from that.

I am also interested to tethering it to my pc. I have an okay machine and I ran the Steam VR benchmark and it is "capable" - it recommends a vid card upgrade.
Now, does that mean I can play a game like Half Life Alyx on lower settings, or is it a matter of some games not working at all unless I hit the "ready" spec.
I fully understand I would not be getting the full experience on pc, but I've no plans to buy a new card soon and I would be happy with just the Quest 2 software regardless.

Thanks in advance.
I also owned the go and like it for about a year. From every review that I read and people I talked too who are seriously into VR, they said the go and the Quest 2 is like going from night to day. Look forward to it.

Last edited:

Gamer79

it's a steal, have you used VR before? If not then you'll be blown away by what you are getting for $300.

But keep in mind the oculus store is pretty dead, not many develoeprs are making VR titles so you get weeks without any releases, and a lot of titles released thesedays are Unity shovelware style things. So make sure you are happy with the current library, and don't expect there to be any big AAA titles again anytime soon.

But it's also a kick-ass media and social device, virtual cinema, social apps etc are what I spend 90% of my time on.
Looked at the game library and there is at least 2 dozen games I want to play. Some big games coming soon too!

pr0cs

I have an okay machine and I ran the Steam VR benchmark and it is "capable" - it recommends a vid card upgrade.
What card is it?

They are pretty judicious when it comes to their recommendations. I have a now aging 980gtx and only recently did I finally start hitting a brick wall for performance (damn you Asgard's Wrath). I suspect if you have anything remotely similar you should be more than fine. I haven't played Alyx yet (own it but am waiting for GPUs to finally get in-stock) but from everything I've read it's well optimized and works on a ton of different PC specs.

Techies

I watched a few vids on population one and even though it is not my kind of game it kinda blew my mind. Sold!!

I wasn't expecting much, but it's legitimately fun and the gameplay is rock solid. There's always someone to play and for the first time I can see the a VR multiplayer game that's going to around for quite some time.

Resenge

Can you play population one seated?

have a load of games on my list for their Black Friday sale
Most of the time I cba to stand up and dance around on a week night when I get time to play so I play most games sitting down including population one.

Having to stand up and have a lot of space for VR is not needed for most games although some games are built around roomscale. I do have a dedicated VR area and It is very nice to play roomscale games. I'll use it sometimes at the weekends when im not busy but its not essential.

FunkMiller

I watched a few vids on population one and even though it is not my kind of game it kinda blew my mind. Sold!!

It’s fucking great. The only thing I’ve been playing. I’ve hated every battle royale game before this, but Pop 1 has changed my mind completely.

INC

I’ve bought one for my son this Xmas. I’ll be terrified of using it as it may well spoil PSVR for me 😬

It will, its better in every way, see what the next step up for VR actually means

Psvr is a great starter device, but its so limited, gfx wise, play space wise, controller wise etc etc

Try it out now !

Gamer79

That is one of the ones I can't wait to try. Red Matter, Super Hot, Journey of the Gods, The Walking Dead Saints and Sinners, Beat Saber, Ultra wings and a few others are on my must play list.

Gorn looks awesome too Coming to the Quest 2:

Last edited:

Shakka43

I have enjoyed mine as stand alone, but for PCVR it has been a little disappointing. Moving my hands around in SteamVR games feel stuttery and leave a little trail effect like how mouse pointers look on 60hz monitors. It does this on both Link and Virtual Desktop.

Billbofet

I picked my Quest 2 up tonight at Best Buy and got about 45 minutes to check it out. Holy shit. HUUUUUUUGE upgrade from the Go.
I did the basic setup and played the Saber Beat and Superhot demos. I cannot wait to spend more time with it over the next few days.

I've watched some youtube vids on the Quest and see mention of Sideload. What is that and how does one acquire?

Thanks all for talking me in to this. This to me is more exciting than counting frames of raytracing on an Ubisoft game I've played 7 other times already.

Romulus

I picked my Quest 2 up tonight at Best Buy and got about 45 minutes to check it out. Holy shit. HUUUUUUUGE upgrade from the Go.
I did the basic setup and played the Saber Beat and Superhot demos. I cannot wait to spend more time with it over the next few days.

I've watched some youtube vids on the Quest and see mention of Sideload. What is that and how does one acquire?

Thanks all for talking me in to this. This to me is more exciting than counting frames of raytracing on an Ubisoft game I've played 7 other times already.

Its the real next gen most people don't even know about because they think VR is the same as it was 4 years ago. The GO to Quest 2 is like going from ps2 to ps4.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I think the one major thing holding this device back is the whole Facebook-Account shenanigans.

Why. Everyone I know has Facebook on their phones. It’s no different.
And no. It’s not holding the device back. It’s selling boat loads.

Last edited:

Hudo

Why. Everyone I know has Facebook on their phones. It’s no different.
And no. It’s not holding the device back. It’s selling boat loads.
Because I don't like devices and games be walled off/bound to some account shit. It's cumbersome and bothersome if there are hoops to go through when I just want to play a game. And I don't have a Facebook/Twitter/Instagram or WhatsApp account because most interactions on there are really uninteresting and basically just variations of "look at me!". Yes, I do have a Smartphone, yes I do talk to friends, family and colleagues. But I don't need social media for that.

After almost buying a VR headset this spring but bailing at the checkout phase, I decided to try again with the Quest 2. The facebook shenanigans are a slight minus but I've got nothing to hide. My friend got the HTC Vive years ago and I loved that, but I was swamped with cables and sensors. So this should be even better. Ordered from Oculus and should arrive on the 24th.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Because I don't like devices and games be walled off/bound to some account shit. It's cumbersome and bothersome if there are hoops to go through when I just want to play a game. And I don't have a Facebook/Twitter/Instagram or WhatsApp account because most interactions on there are really uninteresting and basically just variations of "look at me!". Yes, I do have a Smartphone, yes I do talk to friends, family and colleagues. But I don't need social media for that.

Fair enough. The Quest 2 is not for you.

Apart from logging in using my FB account I don’t even notice that it’s a Facebook device.
it’s no worse than PS4 or Xbox.

Top Bottom