• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any other anime like Monster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll echo Mushishi as well. It's basically about a spirit detective traveling from town to town helping people deal with problems caused by creatures called Mushi.

Nakho

No, there isn't... Japan isn't too big on creating Seinen anime, it seems. It's kinda dumb and insular, seeing how much interest in them is there in the West, evidenced by Monster, Akira, Gummn and others probably getting remakes over here, following All You Need is Kill and other movies and series.

I find Legend of the Galactic Heroes to be fairly similar to Monster. Chill pace, great atmosphere and intelligent dialogue. Beautiful art style as well.

Sayah

Not much else if anything can match up to Monster in its genre.

If you really like the suspense/keeping you on the edge moments of Monster, you can try
Death Note. Death Note is available on Netflix with English dubbing.

mdubs

Banned
Not much else if anything can match up to Monster in its genre.

If you really like the suspense/keeping you on the edge moments of Monster, you can try
Death Note. Death Note is available on Netflix with English dubbing.

I was about to post this, can't believe we're on page 2 and nobody posted this yet. OP please watch this it's pretty much the only thing that will fill your Monster void.

For shame gaf, for shame

MormaPope

Banned
I was about to post this, can't believe we're on page 2 and nobody posted this yet. OP please watch this it's pretty much the only thing that will fill your Monster void.

For shame gaf, for shame

But I said I've already seen Death Note :(

Usobuko

Banned
No, there isn't... Japan isn't too big on creating Seinen, it seems. It's kinda dumb and insular, seeing how much interest in them is there in the West, evidenced by Monster, Akira, Gummn and others probably getting remakes over here, following All You Need is Kill and other movies and series.

Do you not read manga?

I wish there was. It's my favorite anime.

I figure I'd ask this here, is there any word on a Blu Ray release for Monster? The DVDs I've seen are like $200-$300 and only have the first half of the show.

Ping Pong. I'm serious, the two have an entirely different tone and atmosphere, but they're similarly sincere and approach themes of childhood and having something in your life be nurtured. Ping Pong may actually be more emotionally sincere on that note. It maybe has little to do with why you liked Monster though, and more to do with why I liked it.

Also Mushishi is good.

Wellscha

All downhill from here.

image.php

To OP, check out a manga called "Jiraishin" It's about a bad cop solving crimes.

also check out "paranoia Agent"

paranoia_agent__or_why_satoshi_kon_hates_kawaii_by_phan2angel7-d6rddkt.jpg

Pretty much got to stick with manga if you want good mystery/thriller/twisty stuff on the level of Monster.

However, if it's the tense parts of the series (and Death Note) you find appealing, I would check out Kaiji immediately. The presentation is about as grounded as Death Note, which is to say not much at all, but damn is it intense.

Ninjimbo

How has no one recommended Ghost in the Shell: SAC yet? What is wrong with you guys? It's pretty much what the OP is looking for and then some. I can't believe Psycho Pass gets a mention before Ghost. :/

Helmholtz

I also watched Monster for the first time a few months back. Fantastic series. Sad to see there isn't much else like it.

Eteric Rice

This is going to be a weird suggestion, but I say Kaiji. When it comes to psychological shit, that anime had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

MCee

Planetes was a good suggestion. Vinland saga by the same author hasn't been adapted for TV but it's a nice chronicle of vikings.

NEO0MJ

For something that is down to earth and goes for realism maybe Planetes though they aren't similar, Monster is one in a million to me so I would check out Naoki Urasawa's other work.

Planetes was great. Near the end when
Ai Tanabe almost took Claire's remaining air supply was one of the most tense things I watched. Seeing a character like Tanabe break down like that was horrifying.

Ninjimbo

I really want to see Monster but the episode count is so daunting.
If you can push through about 20 episodes of build up, the show eventually delivers on its promise. Personally, I find Monster really hard to recommend because of its pace. The show isn't an easy watch.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Watch Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex. It's two seasons of incredible anime.

Then check out Texhnolyze.

I really wish this show was on Blu-Ray. I would totally buy that. I watched Monster for the First Time this year. Absolutely a Masterpiece. Dr Tenma is the best.

Necrovex

If you can push through about 20 episodes of build up, the show eventually delivers on its promise. Personally, I find Monster really hard to recommend because of its pace. The show isn't an easy watch.

I was hooked the moment the third episode rolled along. LotGH is a show I would nominate the honor of difficult to watch due to the slow pace and the wonderful dry writing.

SalvaPot

Yeah, nothing even close in anime, try manga: 20th Century Boys, Billy Bat and Pluto are from the same author.

I also think Billy Bat is better than monster. Yes, I said it!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah, nothing even close in anime, try manga: 20th Century Boys, Billy Bat and Pluto are from the same author.

I also think Billy Bat is better than monster. Yes, I said it!

You fooking wut m8

Pluto is better than both!

FluxWaveZ

Finished watching Monster yesterday. The ending wasn't bad, but man did I feel it was a bit too abrupt. For how long the show is, I would have rather had two episodes of epilogue instead of only one. And I guess the ending leaves things to the viewer's interpretation but, for this show, I would have rather had it show what went on fully explicitly and with long, expositional dialogue.

Ninjimbo

I was hooked the moment the third episode rolled along. LotGH is a show I would nominate the honor of difficult to watch due to the slow pace and the wonderful dry writing.
Monster didn't sink its hooks in me until the "storybook" episode. I'm not sure what to call that sequence where they tell the story about the monster who eats people. It's just a brilliant sequence of directing, voice acting and animation. Before that, I didn't know what I was watching. I felt like the story was meandering and the plot was all over the place. None of the characters were resonating with me and then Johan shows up. Everything changed after that.

I'll admit that the first few episodes set up the story perfectly. When Tenma makes the decision about the surgery and we discover its aftermath, I was so into it. Then it kinda felt like nothing was happening for about 20 episodes until that brilliant sequence goes down.

I don't know if the show would have been as effective as it was without the buildup. It is what it is. I'm glad I saw the show anyhow.

Broank

Master Keaton is the same creator isn't it? It's more episodic but a lot of similarities. I will say they both took me forever to finish. lol

Legend of the Galactic Heroes isn't real similar but they both are usually considered up there for some of the best mature series and have that deliberate pace to them. Personally I liked LOTGH a lot more, but it is old school so you have to kinda be into that.

Some Detective Conan stuff actually gave me a similar vibe as well but aimed to a younger demographic obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom