• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any recommendations for mobile games?

jorgejjvr

Haven't been home much, and haven't had much time with the TV (kids). But I've been loving sea of stars and it's been hard to put it down.

Hence remote play has come clutch, and since it's a classic old school turn based RPG, it's been perfectly serviceable with touch controls. Carrying a switch around is convenient, but what's even more convenient is being able to use what I already have in my pocket with no added accessory. My phone is a Pixel Fold so the bigger screen real state also makes it very nice.

Any other recommendations? I'm thinking classics like ff7 on the play store, and I'm also eyeing things like persona on gamepass. I know emulation is also a thing but I'm not very familiar with it.

Thoughts? Back to sea of stars

HiSsAHK.png

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Music rhythm game, what sets it apart is it has an actual story, told though some key events, animated cutscenes and a twitter style in game posting system. It's expensive to buy all the track packs these days but what's with the base game is fantastic.

I love how the main menu music changes to match the character your playing.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Music rhythm game, what sets it apart is it has an actual story, told though some key events, animated cutscenes and a twitter style in game posting system. It's expensive to buy all the track packs these days but what's with the base game is fantastic.

I love how the main menu music changes to match the character your playing.

Interesting, I love deemo, maybe I'll try this

jorgejjvr

I've always wanted to try The World ends with you, and the Pixel Fold can work as a great DS emulator with the unfolded larger screen. Would that be possible? I also think there was an android version of the world ends with you but it looks like it was pulled from the play store, any way to still access it?

Edit: woah there's a deemo 2, getting that ASAP. I played the first one on switch

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Do you like strategy games?

If so, you can pick up the full blown versions of Rome and Medieval 2 Total War (including all stand alone expansions) on iPhone and Android.

Perfect port of the PC originals, complete with thousands of units on screen at once. The only games I have downloaded and ever need.

Plague Inc?

I've barely dipped my toes into mobile, most of the time it was always a disappointing experience, but I really liked Plague Inc.

Isabella_jimnz

Neo Member
Absolutely! If you like action games, try Call of Duty: Mobile. It's like having a console game in your pocket. Puzzle lovers will love the game "Monument Valley", offering to solve puzzles in a stunning visual world. If you are a fan of something more gambling, you can try different types of slots. And if you want to laugh, Among Us is a real riot with your friends. Happy gaming!

jorgejjvr

Absolutely! If you like action games, try Call of Duty: Mobile. It's like having a console game in your pocket. Puzzle lovers will love the game "Monument Valley", offering to solve puzzles in a stunning visual world. If you are a fan of something more gambling, you can try different types of slots. And if you want to laugh, Among Us is a real riot with your friends. Happy gaming!
Did this come out of chatgpt?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I know you mentioned you have an Android phone, but if you ever join the dark side, I find Apple Arcade to release pretty consistently solid games. A good mixture of mobile games and console-esque games, with no MTX.

Is it worth the five bucks per month? I’d say probably, yeah. But I only ever subscribed initially because I pay for iCloud storage and Apple Music, and it ended up being cheaper to bundle all their dumb services together.

jorgejjvr

I know you mentioned you have an Android phone, but if you ever join the dark side, I find Apple Arcade to release pretty consistently solid games. A good mixture of mobile games and console-esque games, with no MTX.

Is it worth the five bucks per month? I’d say probably, yeah. But I only ever subscribed initially because I pay for iCloud storage and Apple Music, and it ended up being cheaper to bundle all their dumb services together.
Thanks for reminding me about Play Pass

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Thanks for reminding me about Play Pass
Dude I didn’t even know this was a thing. This is awesome! I’m gonna get it for my Pimax Portal I think.

Drizzlehell

Banned
As far as my own experience goes, every mobile game is designed to extract money out of you through MTX, so I would probably recommend staying away from them.

StereoVsn

Selection on Android is a tad more sparse vs iOS, but at least Square should have bunch if their classic Final Fantasy games ,Chronic Trigger, etc...

There are also Total War games like Medieval 2 and Rome, Company of Heroes, Xcom 2, Tropico and racing games like Grid Autosport.

Unfortunately no Civ 6 or Divinity Original Sin 2.

Vandole

I've always wanted to try The World ends with you, and the Pixel Fold can work as a great DS emulator with the unfolded larger screen. Would that be possible? I also think there was an android version of the world ends with you but it looks like it was pulled from the play store, any way to still access it?

Edit: woah there's a deemo 2, getting that ASAP. I played the first one on switch
I thought the mobile version of World Ends With You was actually better than the DS version. The boss battles got compromised a little bit, but the controls or implemented better and there's a couple music remixes that were great. Not sure if there's a way to get it anymore, which is a damn shame.

But if that version is off the table, and you don't want to pay through the nose for the switch version, a DS emulator would be worth testing.

Vandole

I saw somebody else recommend 80 Days, and I second that. It's a really great text Adventure / choose your own Adventure with a small aspect of item and financial management. It won't take a long time to play through a game, but as soon as you do, you'll actually want to start over and try it again.

If you haven't played any of the Dragon Quest games, 3, 4 and 5 are quite good, even if square-enix handicapped them with mobile controls only. Final Fantasy tactics is also excellent.

And if you haven't played the Professor Layton games, the first couple of those are quite good. Particularly Professor Layton and the curious village.

Sleepwalker

Emulate.

Most phones can emulate up to 3ds nowadays, DS and 3DS have a bunch of incredible games designed to play on the go.

Isa

While I don't play on mobile myself, I've been considering trying out that new Wizardry game. Not out yet but the first Japanese Wizardry title we've gotten in a while and I'd like to show support. Some might poo poo the look but I think its appealing.

Calling Apple the dark side is subjective as f-. I mean, you do you, but Android sure ain't it.

jorgejjvr

Emulate.

Most phones can emulate up to 3ds nowadays, DS and 3DS have a bunch of incredible games designed to play on the go.
I'm tempted, on the pixel fold it can look exactly like a DS

z532mfK.png

I've just never done it, and I'm worried about the legality of it, how to get it in a way that doesn't put me at risk with malware etc. It's simply a matter of not knowing, since it's something I've never done.

Help guide me and/or put me at ease? Lol

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I'm tempted, on the pixel fold it can look exactly like a DS

z532mfK.png

I've just never done it, and I'm worried about the legality of it, how to get it in a way that doesn't put me at risk with malware etc. It's simply a matter of not knowing, since it's something I've never done.

Help guide me and/or put me at ease? Lol

I do the exact same thing with a galaxy fold haha, if you want to shoot me a DM I can help you set it all up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom