• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any word on a new "proper" Rayman?

Booser

As in a traditional platform style game? I've done some searching but all I can find for Rayman 4 is Raving Rabbibs.

I'm pretty sure I heard something about a new installment a while ago but haven't heard anything since.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Give me Rayman 2 (Dreamcast version), on XBLA and PSN and I'm golden.

It's pretty obvious Ubisoft are too busy whoring the franchise as a mini-game fest to worry about a proper platformer.

Rayman 2 is still up there as one of my favourite games ever. Seriously.

It would be better on Wii, with IR aiming the combat might have a chance of not being completely awful (unlike 2 and 3).

nincompoop said:
It would be better on Wii, with IR aiming the combat might have a chance of not being completely awful (unlike 2 and 3).
Because aiming and combat are key compontents of the Rayman franchise...

Visualante said:
Because aiming and combat are key compontents of the Rayman franchise...
They certainly were in 2 and 3... the game often wouldn't allow you to advance until you cleared a room full of enemies.

Linkup

cjelly said:

It's pretty obvious Ubisoft are too busy whoring the franchise as a mini-game fest to worry about a proper platformer.

Why not? You just asked for a DC port on xbla/psn. Obviously there isn't much of a standard around here.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wasn't Raving Rabbids going to be a platformer in the beginning? I was under the impression that the different costumes would grant Rayman different powers and such.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Ancel is busy and the Rabbids make a good profit for Ubisoft. So yeah, not for a while (or at least until Ancel decides to save the series).

Alphahawk

Once upon a time Rayman Raving Rabbids was known as Rayman 4, and it was a platformer,coming to 360 PS2 (or was it PS3?) and Wii, anyway the developers had trouble making the Wii one use the IR control, so they simply turned it into a minigame collection, the mingame collection sold well and somewhere in their Ubi aquired the "Petz" license and decided that a casual line of DS games targeted for girls called "Imagine" would be a profitable investment. The rest is history. :(

Link

The Autumn Wind
nincompoop said:
You should know better than to expect a real game from Ubisoft on the Wii.

trinest

I'm contenmpt with the RRR series - great for comady relife and enjoyment when you just want to play something simple.

Get used to this generation. Cause its going to stay.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
trinest said:
I'm contenmpt with the RRR series - great for comady relife.

BRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Oh wait, this is an Ubi thread, right?

BRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Alphahawk said:
Once upon a time Rayman Raving Rabbids was known as Rayman 4, and it was a platformer,coming to 360 PS2 (or was it PS3?) and Wii, anyway the developers had trouble making the Wii one use the IR control, so they simply turned it into a minigame collection, the mingame collection sold well and somewhere in their Ubi aquired the "Petz" license and decided that a casual line of DS games targeted for girls called "Imagine" would be a profitable investment. The rest is history. :(

Rayman Raving Rabbids is a platformer, and a pretty solid one... but only on the GBA and DS (the two are different games, Rayman 1-style 2d platforming on GBA and a polyagonal 2.5d platformer on the DS). And while the games are okay to good, they doesn't completely replace the real, still missing Rayman 2-style Rayman 4 (and Rayman 2 is one of the best 3d platformers ever, after only Mario 64 and very little else...). :(

Alphahawk

A Black Falcon said:
Rayman Raving Rabbids is a platformer, and a pretty solid one... but only on the GBA and DS (the two are different games, Rayman 1-style 2d on GBA and 2.5d 3d stuff on DS). And while the games are okay to good, they doesn't completely replace the real, still missing Rayman 2-style Rayman 4 (and Rayman 2 is one of the best 3d platformers ever, after only Mario 64 and very little else...). :(

I'm aware of the DS/GBA version but the point is the console version was gonna be a platform game, but for some reason they changed it to reflect the Wii game...

FoneBone

There were some rumors earlier this year hinting at Ancel doing Rayman 4 for Wii, but they don't seem to have amounted to anything. Sucks.

freddy

Banned
Caesar III said:
Came here to mention Mushroom Men

Just buy this game if you own a Wii at the end of november ;)
I'll be buying it. It looks to me like a really good platformer with a lot of effort put in. If they manage to pull it off well enough, one day people might be asking for a Mushroom Men 4 instead. From little things, big things grow.

nincompoop said:
Well, the same could be said for BG&E2 but Ubishit doesn't care.

Theyz happy with their Wii line giving them only 11% of their profit so they are not going to use logic and say "lets do something worth . . . something on the Wii!"..

Alphahawk said:
I'm aware of the DS/GBA version but the point is the console version was gonna be a platform game, but for some reason they changed it to reflect the Wii game...

I know that. Understanding "it was one... but only on GBA and DS" pretty much relies on the reader knowing that the game was originally a platformer on major consoles too...

My point is that at least it wasn't a total loss. The handheld games are fun. But yes, as a definite fan platformers and the Rayman series, I want a major-system Rayman 4 as much as anyone.

Azure J

trinest said:
I'm contenmpt with the RRR series - great for comady relife and enjoyment when you just want to play something simple.

Get used to this generation. Cause its going to stay.

Apparently, Ubisoft also influences misspellings with the RRR and Petz franchises.

Oh, I'm sorry, Misspellingz.

I want a Rayman 4 too dammit.

Haunted

Rayman 2 is among the greatest platformers/adventures ever made.

Right up there with the greats. Fuck everyone who says differently.

And as other have said, Ancel is busy right now. And it's not even known if he really has any interest in making another one. More importantly, it's not known whether Ubisoft has any plans for the franchise.

Blablurn

cjelly said:

im with you

Gagaman

I wish they would just cut Rayman's name out of the raving Rabbids series. Is he even in the new one coming out? I don't think anyone who has played the RRR games first even knows what Rayman means. I don't mind the rabbids series being about except that we;re not getting any Rayman platformers as well.

This is just further evidense that outside of Nintendo platforming games are dead. Whenever a new Crash, Spyro or Sonic game comes out, they always have to add gimmicks to turn it into something else like weapons, combat etc. Hopefully Littlebigplanet will inspire studios to make some pure platformers again.

Haunted

I'm not sure why people think Rabbids stands in the way of another Rayman game. If anything, it helps the Rayman brand name (which makes more games likely).

It's Beyond Good and Evil 2 that's standing between us and another Rayman right now.

Gagaman

Haunted said:
I'm not sure why people think Rabbids stands in the way of another Rayman game. If anything, it helps the Rayman brand name (which makes more games likely).
Because each time a Rabbids game has come out, the less Rayman features in each one, and the further away from the style of Rayman 2/3 it goes. If they suddenly released a Rayman platformer now you'd get morons whining that there are no rabbids or pop culture references in it. The only solution is to do a rayman game and the rabbids as their own series.

Haunted

Gagaman said:
Because each time a Rabbids game has come out, the less Rayman features in each one, and the further away from the style of Rayman 2/3 it goes. If they suddenly released a Rayman platformer now you'd get morons whining that there are no rabbids or pop culture references in it. The only solution is to do a rayman game and the rabbids as their own series.
Well, I think the Rabbids game should be - and are - considered spin-offs.

That the mainline Rayman series made by Ancel is on an indefinite hiatus since nine+ years is another issue entirely, imo. (And had much to do with Ancel being kept busy with minor projects after the expansion of the Rayman franchise failed and Beyond Good and Evil bombed so badly.)

edit: even though I still don't know whether Ubi set Ancel to work on PJ's King Kong or he chose that project.

cjelly said:
Uhh, the last 'proper' game came out 5 and a half years ago. :lol

Hey! Keep the faith, man with Jet Set Radio avatar! Keep the faith.

Said by a man with a Headhunter avatar merged with a pro-Shenmue logo

Keep the faith! Yeah, I never really got into Rayman 2 on Dreamcast, I played a couple of levels and gave a loan of the game to my friend. He still has it too, I should ask for that back.

Eteric Rice

I think if the next Rayman platformer went to the PS3 or 360, Wii owners would rise up and murder everyone in this thread.

We didn't support that first RRR for nothin' you know. :D

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I wonder why Rayman 2 isn't on Virtual Console. As a matter of fact, the only games for N64 are Nintendo games. Does anyone know why there aren't any thirdy party games on N64 VC?

I think another Rayman is doable, especially on Wii. If there's another Klonoa coming out, certainly Rayman has a market as well.

Ramenman said:
AHUAHAUAHUAHAUAHUAHUAHAHAUAHUAA joke post or get out.
Do you have Parkinson's disease or something? If not, I'm not sure why you would dispute that IR aiming would be a perfect fit for Rayman. It would allow you to turn and fire in any direction with ease, a move that wasn't possible in 2 and 3 thanks to their clumsy shooting mechanics.

<2006>Man, Rayman: Raving Rabbids is going to be so awesome. These Rabbids are going to be the most beloved characters of this gen. Here's to another great Rayman platformer!</2006>

Top Bottom