• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody drive for Lyft / Uber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxdoHawk

Hi GAF, I've been looking for side work to supplement my main job income and I just signed up to drive with Lyft.

For those not familiar, Lyft is a "ridesharing" service, wherein people hail your car with an app on their cell phone, you pick them up, drop them off, and money is exchanged digitally. Basically, a taxi in everything but the legal definition.

I like driving, and the flexibility is very appealing. Did a search and didn't see anything about driving for these services, so I thought I'd start a topic.

Do you / did you drive for a ridesharing service? How did / do you like it? Any tips / amusing stories / horror stories? I already bought a notebook to track my mileage for tax deduction purposes.

Edit: Just in case nothing big comes of this thread story-wise, I figure I could use this to share my experiences since I'm new to this. I'm living in northern NJ, and I'm scheduled to meet a "mentor" this Saturday for a practice ride. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Deadstar

I have a friend that does it. He loves it because he can pick his own hours and if he needs money he just does some uber.

Meatfist

My girlfriend was going to for Lyft, but her car didn't pass inspection (back tire treads or something). It's a good way to make money and you choose your own hours, but they're anal about who they choose and depending on your area you might be competing with a lot of other drivers

maliedoo

I have tried doing Lyft, it's ok money if you have the time for it.

I have a friend who uses RelayRides, which lets you rent our your car to people. He makes good money off of it since he barely uses his car.

TxdoHawk

My girlfriend was going to for Lyft, but her car didn't pass inspection (back tire treads or something). It's a good way to make money and you choose your own hours, but they're anal about who they choose and depending on your area you might be competing with a lot of other drivers

Oh, that's unfortunate. I'm actually about to buy new tires this month, mine aren't bald but they definitely are due for replacement. Did they offer to let her get reinspected?

Edit: I took a look online and it looks like Lyft uses the "penny test" for tire tread. I'm swapping my two worst tires, thankfully the other two will pass.

Will post a real update Saturday after I meet my mentor for a practice drive.

TxdoHawk

So, I just got back from my test drive with a mentor. Easy peasy. He inspected the car, took a photo of the car, took a headshot of me, had the team run a DMV history check, we took a short drive around the block to demo the app, and he explained where the hot spots in my part of NJ are for passenger pickups. (I got bonus points because he's big into MOBAs and we talked a little DOTA.)

On my way back I got a text that Lyft wants me to send them a photo of my old driver's license since my current one is less than a year old. I did that. Now I'm just waiting on final processing and review.

DKOTehK.png

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So, I just got back from my test drive with a mentor. Easy peasy. He inspected the car, took a photo of the car, took a headshot of me, had the team run a DMV history check, we took a short drive around the block to demo the app, and he explained where the hot spots in my part of NJ are for passenger pickups. (I got bonus points because he's big into MOBAs and we talked a little DOTA.)

On my way back I got a text that Lyft wants me to send them a photo of my old driver's license since my current one is less than a year old. I did that. Now I'm just waiting on final processing and review.

DKOTehK.png

Why would you even still have your old driver license?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Wtf for. Legally speaking as soon as you got your new one your old one is dead. The Government would prefer you to securely get rid of it ASAP to as it ensure the old license isn't used for other purposes.

Dany

Banned
My brother drives from uber, he made over a grand driving in a week. I don't recall how many hours but he knows chicago and knows when/where he'll get called. People also generally tip him cash even when they're not meant to. So he makes plenty on the side too.

nomster

I've been considering doing this on the occasional Thursday and Friday night just to supplement income.

OP, what kind of changes to your insurance coverage does it require?

TxdoHawk

My brother drives from uber, he made over a grand driving in a week. I don't recall how many hours but he knows chicago and knows when/where he'll get called. People also generally tip him cash even when they're not meant to. So he makes plenty on the side too.

The guy who just mentored me told me he can make about $800 a week after gas and taxes. That doesn't factor in stuff like wear and tear on the car, though.

That said, this is just going to be a side job on the weekends for me. I do want to eventually sign up for Uber as well, but only because of the bonuses: apparently they will pay $500 to "poach" rival Lyft drivers, even though they legally can't make you stop working for the other company.

I've been considering doing this on the occasional Thursday and Friday night just to supplement income.

OP, what kind of changes to your insurance coverage does it require?

None, but this is a murky legal area right now. Technically you should be covered by personal insurance when not making rides and by the company itself while making rides, but people have had their driver's insurance cancelled if/when their insurance company found out they were working with ridesharing companies.

I'll be leaving my current job in October, as I wait for my new one to start in January (I'm leaving early due to my sheer hatred of it and the lack of financial obligations). I'm thinking about driving for Lyft as a part-timer. A decent way to make extra cash if I need it. How is Tampa for that particular scene?

I'm not too familiar with individual markets. Best bet is to do what I did and Google Lyft / Uber + your state and see what others have mentioned online.

Edit: I'm still waiting for my background check to go through. Apparently it takes about a week. Will hopefully have some news next weekend.

Necrovex

I'll be leaving my current job in October, as I wait for my new one to start in January (I'm leaving early due to my sheer hatred of it and the lack of financial obligations). I'm thinking about driving for Lyft as a part-timer. A decent way to make extra cash if I need it. How is Tampa for that particular scene?

Prologue

I wanted to do this but I'm rarely able to drive anywhere given an address. I'd be more comfortable if I was pinged for a ride and the location was given so I can just gps it.

Halo 2

Banned
I always ask the Uber guys how they like it and they say that being able to work at their leisure is the best part.

Sounds like they make decent muns too.

TxdoHawk

Quick update: Background check passed today, and after some nudging re: my old driver's license photo being processed, I'm official.

I turned on Drive mode on my way home from work, but no bites.

Now I'm at home with my phone plugged in waiting for a request. I'm lucky enough to live in an area with a lot of commuters with not too many Lyft drivers, so I think I can sit at home and wait for my first call. We'll see.

Quick update: Background check passed today, and after some nudging re: my old driver's license photo being processed, I'm official.

I turned on Drive mode on my way home from work, but no bites.

Now I'm at home with my phone plugged in waiting for a request. I'm lucky enough to live in an area with a lot of commuters with not too many Lyft drivers, so I think I can sit at home and wait for my first call. We'll see.

Not planning on starting, but I'm interested in hearing your experience.

Fury Sense

Nights and weekends will are peak times for rides. Also, when someone requests a ride, it automatically appears on the phone of the nearest driver, who is given a short amount of time to accept it (15 seconds maybe?) before popping up on the next nearest driver's phone.

wondermega

Interested to hear some stories. I love uber, been using it for maybe I year, can't tell you how much I've spent (hint: lots) but saved even more cause so much cheaper and easier than taxis, here in LA

Got a ride from a woman who operates both Lyft & Uber at the same time, I've never seen that before!

TxdoHawk

I might do this when I get my new car in september, is there any advantage of lyft over uber as a driver?

Off the top of my head:

- Lyft seems to be easier to get into.
- In many markets, Lyft isn't taking the normal 20% cut of the fare ridesharing services normally take (for a limited time, of course)
- Uber is very well-established in some markets and has much better demand, but sometimes so many drivers that it negates the extra demand.
- Uber gives you a phone to use their driving app, but charge $10 a week in most markets for the "privilege".

I plan on eventually attempting to sign up for Uber as well, they're running promotions where established Lyft drivers that do a certain number of rides with Uber get $500 ($1000 for mentors and some super-experienced drivers.)

Got a ride from a woman who operates both Lyft & Uber at the same time, I've never seen that before!

The slang term for this is "two-timing". Perfectly valid strategy, since both companies have you working as a self-employed 1099 and therefore can't stop you from working for the other guy.

Not planning on starting, but I'm interested in hearing your experience.

Thanks! I'm interested in sharing, and will definitely do so.

BPoole

I see ads for Lyft all the time on GAF. I've considered it, but I wouldn't really consider my car to be reliable.

Effnine

Do you see a picture or any profile info on who you are picking up? What sort of safety standards are there? Would be scared of picking up some psycho killer ...

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
One of my neighbor's son does Uber, I think (he's like 18 or 19). Apparently makes pretty good money and really doesn't have issues with anyone, though our city is relatively small and pretty polite all-around.

Panzon

I'm getting a new SUV next year and am thinking about getting with Uber just to make some extra money. I have a few friends who do it and love it. The summer time is a little slow but in the winter time you can make well over a grand a week. Give it a shot OP and let us know how it goes

Make sure Lyft provides you with third party liability and collision coverage. Your personal insurance will most likely not cover you or any people you kill/injure.

Assanova

I did it twice and stopped. I didn't want to put the wear and tear on my car, nor did I want to risk my insurance not paying if I got into a wreck. I also didn't want to risk getting sued by a passenger if I wrecked. You will make most of your money at night near the bars, which just wasn't worth the risk to me. Also, I had a friend do it and he had a passenger throw up in his door where the window rolls up; the smell was near impossible to get out. I would only do it if I was absolutely broke. Also, from what I hear, work isn't guaranteed and you can easily be fired.

v1lla21

I've thought about joining but I need to fix the passenger door first and I think my insurance is only for 6.5k miles for six months. My friend makes good money out of it as a side job.

Sun Drugs

I too have thought about doing this, but I live in the Inland Empire (CA) and don't anticipate many people would be using this service. Not to mention the coverage area here is ridiculously huge, and it may require driving far for a pickup if there aren't many other drivers.

Depending on how my current job prospects work out (may have a part time gig at a production office that could eventually become full time) I'm considering doing this on weekends, or at the very least signing up so I have the option of doing so.

donjezzy

I've done Uber for the past three months. I live in a area of Long Beach CA where a lot of bars are located so I usually work the nights on Thurs-Sat for about 5-6 hours. No horror stories though on one of my first days, I had a drunk girl massage my head and kept on kissing me while I was driving her to a club while her two friends sat in the back doing nothing. The payouts have been getting less though. It used to be that they took 5%/ride when i first started. Now they take 20% and in a few months they will be charging $10/week for the phone they provide you. All in all i enjoy it. I usually set a limit of $150/night or 12 rides so I can still get rest.

JDeluis

Anybody know if you are allowed to use a leased vehicle? Can't find an answer on their website. And before anybody asked, Yes I am way below my allowed mileage and will be returning the vehicle in a couple of months.

Assanova

They ask to see proof of insurance and a drivers license. I don't recall them asking to see my title or registration. Lyft.

ronito

I know that I'm probably being stupid but it seems to me that these companies are just one murder away from bankruptcy.

drove for Lyft and Sidecar for a little while. it was actually my sole source of income for a time. If you enjoy driving, and being social, it's a fun thing. I was using it as a way to network.

It's horri-bad for your car, though. I'm in Los Angeles, and people would travel significant distances and you don't make much money. Also, college kids can be shitty. They'll mess up your car.

Have fun with it, but hopefully you have a newer vehicle. I have a 2000 Honda CRV, and I just couldn't deal with the mileage. There were times when I'd work every night for a week doing 6 plus hours and would be lucky to get 150.00 for the week.

Some nights, like big holidays or events, if you hustle hard enough, you might get that in a night over 6 hours.

YMMV. Good luck.

Allforce

What kind of cars do they want drivers to have? I've got a 2012 Grand Caravan I barely drive, would be kind of cool to do this as a secondary income.

What kind of cars do they want drivers to have? I've got a 2012 Grand Caravan I barely drive, would be kind of cool to do this as a secondary income.

Uber wants you to have a 2006 or newer. Sidecar and Lyft are more lenient, or they were when I was applied and was driving for them. My car is a 2000 CRV.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Cool in theory but you get paid jack shit compared to the service you provide. Uber and Lyft make out like a bandit because of this setup.

You should be getting $50 an hour min.

TxdoHawk

It's horri-bad for your car, though. I'm in Los Angeles, and people would travel significant distances and you don't make much money. Also, college kids can be shitty. They'll mess up your car.

Yeah, I am going to try and set up a strategy that minimizes this. At the moment I am sitting at home in my town seeing how local demand is, and so far I'm not impressed. I had one request tonight so far that was immediately cancelled.

My business cards arrive Thursday though, so I'm going to hit the local bars and try to drum up some demand with promo codes. I think there's potential in my town: I live around the block from a major train station + near several airports and a stadium.

Have fun with it, but hopefully you have a newer vehicle. I have a 2000 Honda CRV, and I just couldn't deal with the mileage.
This sort of thing is damned if you do, damned if you don't. Newer cars have less reliability problems, but you have to worry about depreciation.

There were times when I'd work every night for a week doing 6 plus hours and would be lucky to get 150.00 for the week.

Yeah, that just won't do. I have a couple of ideas going forward, going to try a few different shifts and see what works. If I can't find a reliable way to get some decent demand (or alternatively, goose my earnings with referrals / becoming a mentor) I won't be at this long.

YMMV. Good luck.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom