• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody else get Fitbit/Jawbone Up/Nike Fuelband for the holidays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I ended up getting a Fitbit One for Christmas. Personally I love looking at personal data and beating personal records so I am really happy to start using this. Big fan of runkeeper and myfitnesspal.
Fitbit-One.jpeg
Last night I took it out of the package and did the sleep tracking. Here is my pretty abysmal sleep measurement. I went to bed way too late and had to get up early and get to my mechanic.
i5oqg.png

I also tried to set a silent alarm to wake me up. Didn't seem to get it work correctly. I will try again tomorrow.

Did anyone else get something similar?How are you liking it?

MThanded

This looks interesting. How well does it work?

edit: nvm it's apple only so not for me.
Works on the computer windows or mac. Right now the phone support is only ios. I think that will be fixed soon.

big_z

Pro tip: Enjoy your favorite pizza while you place your fitbit in the dryer on low heat to get additional miles.

MThanded

I am pretty interested in the Fuel Band, a friend has one and I think it looks pretty awesome.

Only thing turning me off to the fuleband is the lack of sleep tracking. It looks pretty cool though. The fitbit is more discreet.

i got a fuelband for christmas.

previously used a fitbit ultra before i accidentally washed it with my jeans. i definitely prefer the wristband form factor, and i like that i can use this as a watch (unlike the up). the design looks a lot less fiddly than the up, too, and bluetooth syncing is definitely the way to go for these things. however, i really wish it had the up's battery life and sleep tracking/alarm functionality.

overall though i'm definitely preferring the fuelband to the fitbit so far. more convenient, the app is light years better, and it's just cooler really. will continue to use this with the sleep cycle app to cover all bases.

Kraftwerk

I have a Jawbone UP. Loving it so far. Really nice to have my sleep patters laid out for me. I also use it to track what I eat so I stay healthier. The alarm is awesome.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've had my Fitbit for about a month now. It's good at keeping me aware when I'm having a "fatass day" and gets me out. The sleep tracking I was initially horrified with, seeing how often I wake up, but apparently I'm in an average area, which is good.

Great product. Bought 3 as gifts for my family. Hopefully they put em to good use and get healthier.

MThanded

I'd like to check either option, but no Android no bueno.
Apparently it has something to do with bluetooth 4 capability. Bluetooth 4 has the low power mode and a lot of the android devices don't support it. So I'm guessing they will release software but it will be strictly for a set of devices.

i got a fuelband for christmas.

previously used a fitbit ultra before i accidentally washed it with my jeans. i definitely prefer the wristband form factor, and i like that i can use this as a watch (unlike the up). the design looks a lot less fiddly than the up, too, and bluetooth syncing is definitely the way to go for these things. however, i really wish it had the up's battery life and sleep tracking/alarm functionality.

overall though i'm definitely preferring the fuelband to the fitbit so far. more convenient, the app is light years better, and it's just cooler really. will continue to use this with the sleep cycle app to cover all bases.
A lot of people with the ultra said they fixed a decent amount of issues with the one. I might switch to a wristband form factor in the future.

I have a Jawbone UP. Loving it so far. Really nice to have my sleep patters laid out for me. I also use it to track what I eat so I stay healthier. The alarm is awesome.
Nice

I've been researching those three options and I think the UP seems to be the best of the three for what I want (mostly interested in the sleep tracking, and I have an iPhone). I think I'll likely buy the UP in a few weeks when it's back in stock.

MThanded

You woke up 18 times? Do you have the bladder of a 90 year old?
If you move enough during your sleeping it says your sleeping was disturbed. I had some issues sleeping last night though. Having the band on actually made me sort of nervous.

The 6am disturbances are me getting up and stirring.

Jado

Banned
Regarding the Fitbit, be careful when outside. The majority of negative reviews seem to be from people who lost them while out jogging. The rubber holder apparently sucks.

Laekon

Does anyone know if any of these products work with cycling? Most of my exercise is riding and I don't think they can really record it.

MThanded

Does anyone know if any of these products work with cycling? Most of my exercise is riding and I don't think they can really record it.

As far as i know none of them work that well. I like to use runkeeper on my phone.

Regarding the Fitbit, be careful when outside. The majority of negative reviews seem to be from people who lost them while out jogging. The rubber holder apparently sucks.

I think the ultra had a bigger clip issue. The one has a really firm clip. People have said that CS was great on the fitbit and they replaced lost ones without issue. Currently im clipping with device facing inward.

Laekon

As far as i know none of them work that well. I like to use runkeeper on my phone.
Yeah until they get GPS I don't think they will work for cycling. I use a Garmin for cycling because phone GPS tracking accuracy and battery life are horrible.

I'm still interested in the Up for the sleep functions. The Fuel band just seems overpriced.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think the ultra had a bigger clip issue. The one has a really firm clip. People have said that CS was great on the fitbit and they replaced lost ones without issue. Currently im clipping with device facing inward.

That's how I clip mine. Haven't been in any danger of losing it - very good clip.

Zoe

Someone bring me up to date with these options. What do they track, how do they work, etc? Good for tracking running, P90x workouts and stuff?
You're probably better off with a heart rate monitor for complex workouts. These are basically fancy pedometers.

JPKellams

Loop the fuel band through your shoes when you are cycling and it works fine.

My only gripe with these products is that lifting in the gym and doing the dishes are essentially the same amount of "activity." The fuel band is a kickass watch though. Lots of people at Platinum have been importing them as watches.

I recently got a fuelband and I love it, I find that it actually gets me to push myself a little bit more to try and hit a certain amount of fuel points. It's also great for seeing just how little I usually do in a day.

A lot of people with the ultra said they fixed a decent amount of issues with the one. I might switch to a wristband form factor in the future.

i didn't really have any problems with the ultra, the only issue was that its design sort of led me to destroy it. otherwise i thought it was a pretty good product that did what it said it would — i just like the nike app and wristband design better.

plus the fuelband is a pretty good watch, too.

Got a Fuelband, but I've been too sick to get any proper use out of it. The only problem I have with it thus far, is it seems to think I'm making many more steps than I actually am.
Anyone have any experience with the Kinect game that came out for it?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Can anyone direct me to what stores sell the Nike + Fuelband in retail? I hear the apple store has it, but I hate going there. Google isn't being helpful. Can I get one of these at Modells or Foot Locker, Best Buy, etc?

Amazon only has them through second hand sellers, which is a bummer. I've heard of many bad experiences ordering online through the Nike Store, and they charge 8 bucks for "2-9 day shipping".

cametall

Can anyone direct me to what stores sell the Nike + Fuelband in retail? I hear the apple store has it, but I hate going there. Google isn't being helpful. Can I get one of these at Modells or Foot Locker, Best Buy, etc?

Amazon only has them through second hand sellers, which is a bummer. I've heard of many bad experiences ordering online through the Nike Store, and they charge 8 bucks for "2-9 day shipping".

I think you can only get them from Nike.

As a side note: I bought a Fitbit One on Monday. I love all the data it records and that you can enter onto the website... I just ordered the Aria too :X

Somnid

I was looking for a heart rate monitor and thought these would have one considering the price. Looks like they don't? Lame.

Prez

To measure sleep, do you need to have software running on your computer while you're sleeping? My computer makes a lot of noise, I couldn't sleep very well if I leave it on.

jts

...hate me...
I have no fucking idea why Nike made the Fuelband basically US exclusive. I so want to get one.

That and not being cheap. Stupid Nike!

Wizman23

Banned
I treated myself to a Nike Fuel band for Christmas and love it. I have been wearing it for about 10 days and it really is a fantastic device. To me, it more or less is a constant reminder to get off your ass and hit your target (fuel points) each day. I was on vacation from work over the holidays and set the fuel point goal to 3000. Going back to work today I hit 3000 easily this afternoon with being on my feet a lot. I'm going to bump my fuel points up to 5000 on workdays so it will automatically force me to do some sort of actual workout. Also in regards to Fuel points I'm really not sure how Nike calculates the number but it has nothing to do with steps taken. One day I had about 14,000 steps and had just past 3000 fuel points. The next day I had 9,000 steps but shoveled snow for 90 minutes and had 3900 fuel points. The iphone app that connects to the device over blue tooth is fantastic as well. It may be a bit pricey, but a constant reminder and visual goal to hit each day is worth it for me.

Zoe

Also in regards to Fuel points I'm really not sure how Nike calculates the number but it has nothing to do with steps taken. One day I had about 14,000 steps and had just past 3000 fuel points. The next day I had 9,000 steps but shoveled snow for 90 minutes and had 3900 fuel points.

Well, don't you swing your arms quite a bit when you shovel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom