• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else dislikes Nintendo's current love for washed out color schemes?

To posters mocking the BotW picture, post one that shows better contrast?. And do you honestly not see how colors pop in the PS3 examples while they look muted in the Switch examples?

Also, and this is important. I am talking about Nintendo 1st party output, not saying that ALL switch games look the same (they don't).
I can barely see Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and ARMS through the foggy layers of haze.

Jacobson

Odyssey looks fine to me

super-mario-odyssey_219uok.jpg

super-mario-odyssey_2q1u3t.jpg

super-mario-odyssey_2xku5q.jpg

super-mario-odyssey_2ktuzg.jpg

looks fucking amazing. hopefully it runs at 60fps.

Vice

To posters mocking the BotW picture, post one that shows better contrast?. And do you honestly not see how colors pop in the PS3 examples while they look muted in the Switch examples?

Also, and this is important. I am talking about Nintendo 1st party output, not saying that ALL switch games look the same (they don't).

How is this?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Breath of the wild's disgusting filter has made me think there was something wrong with my switch's screen for the longest time, but then I realized everyone else was dealing with it.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
They have. And colours may pop, but those crushed blacks aren't pretty.

All games talked about so far (ARMS, Splatoon 2, BotW, Odyssey) are first party.

There are no colours in that God of War pic.

And yes, we know you're talking about Nintendo 1st party output. That's why we don't understand what on earth you mean. Look at the examples posted.

Breath of the wild's disgusting filter has made me think there was something wrong with my switch's screen for the longest time, but then I realized everyone else was dealing with it.

Never once had a problem with it except at certain times of day/weather.

Floody

Man Puppeteer still looks so good.

Anyways, I don't think 2 games really prove Nintendo love it, especially when 1 is a low quality screenshot from an unreleased game and the other is questionable.

pixelation

why does BotW take place in Beijing

hideous
Thank you for posting better pictures.

I kind of wonder if OP even owns a Wii U or a Switch.
I plan on buying a Wii U, not the Switch until they work out the kinks. My eyes can still look at pictures and videos in the meantime though.
Odyssey looks fine to me
In my opinion it would look even better with more contrast, looks washed out.
OP trolling with the intentionally deceptive images. Pathetic.
No i am not, google image is trolling me maybe?, you can always choose pictures from the same games i picked and compare them?

Also, why is it that as soon as someone says something that is even remotely critical about anything Nintendo related guys jump at you like you ran over their cat?, is this not a discussion board?

Jubbe

I think BotW is one of the blandest looking games I've ever seen because of this. I'd much prefer if it had bolder, brighter colours

Plan on buying a Wii U, not the Switch until they work out the kinks. My eyes can still look at pictures and videos in the meantime though.

No i am not, google image is trolling me maybe?, you can always choose pictures from the same games i picked and compare them?
What about Arms and Splatoon 2? Someone posted pics.

BotW absolutely nails using colour as a guide to help the player find direction in the world.

Other than that, I feel like Nintendo has turned the colour up to 11 recently. ARMS, Splatoon, #FE Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Wooly World... There's more examples of vibrant colour than not.

JordanN

Banned
This is actually my grief with a lot of games this gen. I think the switch to realistic lighting models but not turning up the saturation has lead to a more a duller look.

Remember when UE3 was bashed for being brown? Well, I find those games to now be more colorful than some UE4 ones.

Tera (UE3)

Lj2EnBX.jpg

KH3 (UE4)

nN91kgg.jpg

Of course, it all boils down to developer's choices but I personally hate the "grey filter" trend. It's the new piss filter to me.

Also, why is it that as soon as someone says something that is even remotely critical about anything Nintendo related guys jump at you like you ran over their cat?, is this not a discussion board?

*Posts thread with terrible evidence*

*Complains that people calling it out are mean*

Veitsev

They could have made this game look a lot better with a little less chemical smog everywhere (and this was just me, totally not a game visual design professional, toying with contrast for like 1 minute per pic)

You can get this same effect by changing the color temp on your TV to normal/cool and ramping up blue levels. Its inaccurate but its a great option for people with bad taste that like that "pop".

EloquentM

aka Mannny
They could have made this game look a lot better with a little less chemical smog everywhere (and this was just me, totally not a game visual design professional, toying with contrast for like 1 minute per pic)
Literally picking nintendo press pictures which were notoriously bad media of this game. Have you played the game? Please pull some screens from the gaffer BotW screenshot thread

Cirerus

Nintendo is behind in tech. They are discovering what other studios tried last generation, things like bloom, shaders etc.

I didn't like that overly foggy/bloom look at all, either. I think my favorite use of color in recent memory is sunset overdrive. I loved how vibrant that was

Nanashrew

Banned

What the heck did you do to that elephant?!

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry but graphics are paramount to my enjoyment of a game, fantastic art direction... i cannot agree with that because Nintendo's current love for washed out, bloomed out color schemes is extremely...

It will be interesting to see Switch sales in a couple months, it could be the Nintendo faithful who bought it the most at launch.

I am not happy with its success though, this just tells Nintendo that's its perfectly okey to continue to live in a technological groundhog day, when i look at BotW (and other Switch games) the graphics make me wonder... what year is this?

I am a graphics whore so no... i cannot look past BotW's dated graphics and they do look dated, i know it's "new" hardware (Switch) but its specs are not cutting edge so the graphics on it look barely better than a PS3/360 game, and graphics matter A LOT to me.
I mean, even Breath of the Wild looks dated.
Well of course it looks dated, it's running on tech slightly more powerful than the PS3/360.

Please let them know that its not 2006 anymore, please tone down the bloom lighting and low contrast shit.

I don't know if it's just luck or what but every preview i've watched of this game just shows a barren landscape with 1,2 or 3 enemies spread throughout..

plus the stylistic choices for the game make it look worse than it would've otherwise (washed out AF).

Nintendo gives Switch Joy-Con wireless connectivity advice, warns of nearby fish tank

Please tell us how you really feel OP?

Not sure what you mean. I've only played the game hand held, is there a setting that makes it look better or something?

I believe he is talking about capture.

Some people who have no clue how vidcapture works are recording washed out footage of BOTW because the Switch is new and they don't know how to make their vidcap hardware/software work with it correctly. Hence the washed out images.

Someone else posted a link to a video explaining and showing side by side footage.

The Lamp

Literally picking nintendo press pictures which were notoriously bad media of this game. Have you played the game? Please pull some screens from the gaffer BotW screenshot thread

lmao "have I played the game"

Yes, and I deliberately take a screenshot every time I encounter a haze festival. Maybe I'll upload a couple tomorrow.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

I plan on buying a Wii U, not the Switch until they work out the kinks. My eyes can still look at pictures and videos in the meantime though.

Hey. friend, why are you ignoring Splatoon 2 and AMRS? And also this post:

I think BotW looks great tbh

*Taken from Wii U

Yes, and I deliberately take a screenshot every time I encounter a haze festival. Maybe I'll upload a couple tomorrow.
So... You only take screenshots of fog and rain haze and try to use that as proof?

The game has atmospheric effects. Fog and haze desaturate colors in the real world too.

pixelation

This is actually a legitimate point of contention.
Yes it is, and i hope they're able to work something with the Switch tech.
We must have deffective eyes man.
All games talked about so far (ARMS, Splatoon 2, BotW, Odyssey) are first party.
ARMS is better but could still use some work, Splatoon is okey, BotW and Odyssey however do suffer from predominantly washed out color schemes IMHO.

The fact that you have to take pictures at certain times to prove your point pretty much means you don't have a leg to stand on.

As mentioned MANY times before, the haze that does exist in game is highly dependent on weather and time of day.

The Lamp

So... You only take screenshots of fog and rain haze and try to use that as proof?

The haze-like, desaturated quality to the environment is very frequent and it's not just during rain, it's just HORRIBLE during rain.

The fact that you have to take pictures at certain times to prove your point pretty much means you don't have a leg to stand on.

As mentioned MANY times before, the haze that does exist in game is highly dependent on weather and time of day.

No it doesn't. I take screenshots during especially egregious moments. It's almost always bad to me.

If by "dependent on weather and time of day" you mean hazy in daytime, blurry at night time, and practically blinding in rain time, then yes I agree.

Vitacat

WTF? I've always felt Nintendo makes great use of color. BOTW color is amazing to me. No, it doesn't look every other highly saturated colored game, but it's not supposed to, it looks like an animated film.

Sometimes it feels like some people just need to complain about something to be happy.

Top Bottom