• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feel like a tool doing voice commands

Prison Mike

Banned
msQnokM.gif

Thaedolus

I try to commands like I’m the captain of a 747 short range...it doesn’t recognize me as well but I sound so badass setting a timer for the macaroni and cheese

Nymphae

Banned
I hate VA because it doesn't work a majority of the time. Here's me trying to start a game on my Playstation:

"Playstation...Playstation....PLAYstation....PLAYstation....PLAYSTATION...." presses X on controller instead

Or in Brain Age for DS trying to get it to recognize blue:

"Blue....Blue....BLUE....BUH-LOO" throws DS at wall

I don't do it and I advise others not to. If this stuff gets too good I think more kids will stop learning to read.

I believe it's in the Shadowrun universe where fast food places start putting buttons with pictures of food on the cash registers because literacy rates go down in the future. I unironically think the world will turn into a cyber punk dystopia in a few decades. Society will become increasingly either highly educated and successful, or poor, uneducated, and illiterate.

It's not talked about much, but Los Angeles public schools have huge problems and are churning out illiterate students at an alarming rate.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I did, but I got really used to setting timers or quickly checking simple things by telling Siri to do it on my iphone. It's the one thing I miss after switching back to android.

Gamerguy84

I did, but I got really used to setting timers or quickly checking simple things by telling Siri to do it on my iphone. It's the one thing I miss after switching back to android.

Say, hey google, set a timer for however long.

You can call people, set reminders, open apps, do all kinds of things with an android. Just set up your voice profile and no one else can talk to your phone.

Can even call businesses youve never called before. Just say hey google call dominos in Lynchburg Virginia

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Say, hey google, set a timer for however long.

You can call people, set reminders, open apps, do all kinds of things with an android. Just set up your voice profile and no one else can talk to your phone.

Can even call businesses youve never called before. Just say hey google call dominos in Lynchburg Virginia
I haven't messed with google too much with it, but damn does Bixby suck a giant and fat dick. I'm guessing I have to set that up, because if I say Hey Google to my phone, it currently does nothing.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I haven't messed with google too much with it, but damn does Bixby suck a giant and fat dick. I'm guessing I have to set that up, because if I say Hey Google to my phone, it currently does nothing.

No. Fuck Bixby. You can disable that like I did. Just use google voice assistant.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It's like yelling at the TV during a sports match.

But instead of a 0% chance of it affecting the content, there's a 50% chance it'll work and a 50% chance something worse will happen.

Gargus

Banned
I have a ecobee and a Google home mini in my bedroom. So I wake up and say "OK Google set temperature to 68" and it does it, I do it to turn it down when I get home. Or if I am watching a movie and can't remember a characters real name or even if I want to know how tall they are I ask and it answers me. So I just it for little things.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I only do voice commands when I am driving. It’s the one moment they shine. Otherwise, they are garbage.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Xbox On..... didn't work

X... box... On.... didn't work

Xbox.............. On..... didn't work.

Kinect voice commands. Off.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I avoid them at all cost. They seem to only work right a percentage of the time, and everyone looks dumb using them.

i prefer my”privacy” then having always open mic’s waiting to work or not work.

Last edited:

black_13

Banned
I got one from Spotify and yea I hate the Voice command stuff. I avoid it if I can as it gets things wrong or doesn't hear you at all.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Anyone else feel like a tool doing voice commands

should be fixed to

Everyone is a tool doing voice commands

If you do research in Natural Language Processing, all those data are collected to build larger AI models (transformers, inceptions, e-net, u-net, and many others), Google is even constantly hosting data science competitions on Kaggle (which I advise students to compete on) using your voice or text data:

You can check on some of the past research competitions Google hosted.

Kagey K

Banned
How many of you old 30 somethings are making our generation look bad by resisting new technology. Just stop it and adapt like the really cool ones have already done
So cool kids talking to tablets or speakers is awesome, but talking to other people ”IRL” isn’t?

Kagey K

Banned
I don’t ask people IRL to set my lights to neon blue for a Tori Amos listening sesh or set me a 30 minute timer to remind me to check if my boss emailed me now do I
Yeah I realize now, im too old for this. I don’t want open mic’s in my house so the internet can advertise to me more.

This lockdown only helps to reaffirm my beliefs.

How many of you old 30 somethings are making our generation look bad by resisting new technology. Just stop it and adapt like the really cool ones have already done

We are headed into a cyber punk dystopia where most of us will become tightly controlled cogs in machines or unemployed drug addicted street people. We would be happier if we could reverse some scientific progress. I'd like to go back to about 1970's tech. I'm thinking of learning to make my own clothes. I'm going to start with belts as that seems pretty easy. Once I learn how to make an item of clothing I'm going to make one about once a week until I believe I've made a lifetime of them, and move onto something new.

You should resist future technology. It will lead us into a world where many will die, and many of the living will envy the dead. I base pretty much my whole life on trying to figure out a way to retire early because I don't want to learn to use new tech because I think it's bad for society.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
We are headed into a cyber punk dystopia where most of us will become tightly controlled cogs in machines or unemployed drug addicted street people. We would be happier if we could reverse some scientific progress. I'd like to go back to about 1970's tech. I'm thinking of learning to make my own clothes. I'm going to start with belts as that seems pretty easy. Once I learn how to make an item of clothing I'm going to make one about once a week until I believe I've made a lifetime of them, and move onto something new.

You should resist future technology. It will lead us into a world where many will die, and many of the living will envy the dead. I base pretty much my whole life on trying to figure out a way to retire early because I don't want to learn to use new tech because I think it's bad for society.
Disagree strongly. Scientific progress will only extend and enhance human life, as it has dramatically done over the last century.

edit: accidentally quoted Kagey K Kagey K too

Last edited:
Top Bottom