• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feel PSVR2 is a GIANT waste

chixdiggit

Being corded is a pretty big deal breaker for me. Besides the getting tangled in cords, the fact that I can play PCVR in a different room than my PC is pretty huge for me.

I hope people realize that Sony and other companies don't work for them.

These guys want to expand their business. Us plebs have no business in what they do.

Psvr 2 is oppurunity for Sony to control the VR market, like how xbox is doing with xcloud.

Its not a waste of time and resources for them, if it allows them to expand their business.
Occulus is already a household name. I can't even count the number of normies I knw who were talking about it around Christmas last year. Sony won't control VR with the half hearted effort they're putting toward it.

Kokoloko85

I enjoy VR and will get PSVR2 but I could of waited another generation for a new VR tbh.
Id rather the investment went into more 1st party games `(which we still have only seen 2 new games shown since september 2020….and wont get Any news in June either )

Rather the money go into more 1st party games. And a portable device ( which would just play PS4/PS5 games like Stemdeck and Switch play there pc/console games )

Occulus is already a household name. I can't even count the number of normies I knw who were talking about it around Christmas last year. Sony won't control VR with the half hearted effort they're putting toward it.

Have we actually seen the effort they will be making with it? I believe it’s a little early to come to that conclusion. Once we see the games and a demonstration of the headset it will be easier to come to a conclusion.

Menzies

Banned
I really think Sony’s foray into VR is a defensive move than a pivot. I see their board thinking that they don’t want to risk falling behind if this takes off. They’ll come out with a product that sells for profit, at non-consumer friendly prices, and let third party devs take the risks.

If they really wanted to push this, then take some risks and put more AAA devs on this.

ksdixon

I feel it will be a waste of time if we keep getting mostly short af ''VR Experiences'', especially those where you have to teleport move around. That ain't it, cheif.

In my opinion, something akin to RE7 where it's a "real game" with VR mode added on should be how most VR games work. Or the decent TWD game where you reached over shoulder to get a gun off your back etc.

Nydius

A waste? No.
Niche? Definitely.

As others have said, the cost will be a limiting factor for many especially since there really aren't going to be top tier games being developed for it. That said, I didn't really care much for the original PSVR but I'm interested in PSVR2. I probably won't get one, unfortunately, because I have very limited space. Certainly not enough to comfortably play anything in VR. If we ever end up in a place where I can have my own gaming room, I'm definitely going to consider picking it up.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Depends on the games. Trying to sell my as good as new psvr including barely used moves controllers ATM

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A waste? No.
Niche? Definitely.

As others have said, the cost will be a limiting factor for many especially since there really aren't going to be top tier games being developed for it. That said, I didn't really care much for the original PSVR but I'm interested in PSVR2. I probably won't get one, unfortunately, because I have very limited space. Certainly not enough to comfortably play anything in VR. If we ever end up in a place where I can have my own gaming room, I'm definitely going to consider picking it up.
I'd never bother with VR ever unless it was high quality, cheap like $100, wasnt a big thing on your face (make them light and thin like swimming goggles) and the games were solid. I could probably live with it being wired assuming there's only one wire which should be easy enough to avoid.

But when these things are about $500, a brick, and the games are more like demos, forget it.

It's like that fad way back of 3D TVs. If the content was good and the 3D glasses were cheap might be worth doing. Turns out the content was lousy and instead of some basic 3D plastic glasses you get at the theatre which would be dirt cheap to buy, TV makers were selling 3D glasses for $150 each. I dont know if it was due to economies of scale or liquidation, but I remember LG 8-packs of 3D glasses being sold for $99. Now were talking about good value for an add on. IMO, it didnt even have to be that cheap. Could had been 4 for $99. Who the hell is going to buy a 4 pack of 3D glasses for $600?

Last edited:

AGRacing

No.. it was the only thing I was really looking forward to for PS5 this fall... and unfortunately that sounds like it is pushed to 2023.

Nydius

I'd never bother with VR ever unless it was high quality, cheap like $100, wasnt a big thing on your face (make them light and thin like swimming goggles) and the games were solid. I could probably live with it being wired assuming there's only one wire which should be easy enough to avoid.
This is why I was interested in seeing what Microsoft was going to do with their AR Hololens they showed off way back in 2015. Unfortunately I believe Hololens got pushed out of their gaming plans after the final flop of Kinect and the much more expensive V2 version only exists in educational, medical, and engineering circles.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is why I was interested in seeing what Microsoft was going to do with their AR Hololens they showed off way back in 2015. Unfortunately I believe Hololens got pushed out of their gaming plans after the final flop of Kinect and the much more expensive V2 version only exists in educational, medical, and engineering circles.
Hololens is one of those things that looked cool with the demos, but also for gaming didnt resonate with me. I think the purpose of it was it's semi-clear glasses can always see what's in front of you and they layer some AR shit on top of it, so it always involves your real environment. At least that's the gist I got from it. Maybe I'm wrong.

So trying to play a traditional game like an RPG or racing game would be impossible to do with AR since you're using it in your living room or basement and at some point all you're doing is staring at a what's in your house like tables and pictures on the wall.

Last edited:

Diddy X

Won't buy but still I'm interested how far they can push VR, some experiences can be pretty amazing even if traditional tv gaming will remain as the main way of playing immersion wise it can't beat VR.

Have we actually seen the effort they will be making with it? I believe it’s a little early to come to that conclusion. Once we see the games and a demonstration of the headset it will be easier to come to a conclusion.
Basing that off the effort they gave last Gen and what we’ve heard so far in this one. Which is already 20-30% over btw.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
John Cena Omg GIF

“Anyone else feel PSVR2 is a GIANT waste”​

Y'all are nuts. Corded may suck, but unless you want everything to look like RE4: VR (PS2 assets), it's required to move forward. What's more powerful and can output way more: The Occulus or the PS5?

Quantum253

I think it's still a niche area. I ended up getting the hype bug and preordered PSVR. That said, for the hundreds of dollars of cost, I only played it for maybe 1 or 2 hours in total. Most of that were friends coming over and showing them what VR was like. One of the biggest reasons for never playing was hooking it up was a pain in the ass. Between the breakout box and random cables everywhere, and that HDMI 2.2 /HDR wasn't supported, having to unplug everything and set the ps4 back up wasn't worth the hassle.
That said, I don't mind a cable from the headset to the Ps5/box. I don't want to continually breakdown my entertainment area to use it. One cable is far better if all other components are compatible.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
While I am personally excited for psvr2 and will buy one, it's still a relatively small market and isn't going to magically triple or quadruple this generation.

I dont understand why Sony is willing to invest all this time and money into vr and turn thier backs on portable, something that has way higher potential over the next few years.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's probably going to be amazing and I don't have issues with Sony investing in it. I probably won't buy it because I don't want the limitation of being tied to a console for content.

if they have enough great content I may change my mind, but for now I'll stick with what I have.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

spawn

There is nothing wrong with having more options to play. After playing resident evil 7 in PSVR I cannot imagine that the game could be better in non-vr. The immersion was fantastic

I guess my main issue with VR is a lot of the games from what I’ve seen seem like gimmicky, glorified tech demos and don’t really appeal to me.

Not interested in the slightest, but no one is forcing me to buy it. So long as it doesn't dilute their traditional game output, who gives a shit.

RavageX

I really like ps5 and use it for exclusive content only

I however have zero interest in vr, especially CORDED VR. And with glasses vr is horrible to use

i feel this vr push will make sony produce less exclusive ”ordinary” games. The development of psvr stuff will dilute their already smallish first party.

I think psvr2 is a giant mistake business wise too - vr is NOT going mainstream with a CORD to your ps5. Vr is going cordless and oculus quest 2 is the kind of product that is the future of vr

Is there anyone here that thinks psvr is even exciting?
It's a good thing you aren't in charge of anything PS5 related.

I'm more interested in PSVR2 than pc, why? Too much shovelware on pc. Too many games that aren't fully realized. At least I know Sony will deliver.

Last edited:

avin

PSVR2 is the most interesting thing Sony is thinking to do this gen, that I know of. I hope they pull it off.

avin

Reactions: TLZ
Basing that off the effort they gave last Gen and what we’ve heard so far in this one. Which is already 20-30% over btw.

But don’t forget that Sony is releasing another VR headset. They definitely want to give it another chance and it remains to be seen if they repeat the same mistakes.

Last edited:

Inviusx

I agree.

For me personally, driving or flying games suit VR the best. So something like GT7 theoretically would be a blast to play in VR. However we can already tell from non VR GT7 that it's pushing the system to its limit in some scenarios.

So now if you combine GT7 with the specs of the VR hardware, specifically 4k (2k x 2k per eye) with 110 degree FOV at 120hz, the technical challenges for the base PS5 hardware to power this title as a VR experience seem insurmountable.

So if we do get GT7 as a VR title, how much of the core experience has to be cut back in order for it to simply run on this VR hardware?

We already know from GT Sport that the VR mode was cut down so significantly to work in VR that you could only ever do solo time trials or limited races against 1 other AI racer.

For that reason, I'm not excited by PSVR2.

Last edited:

Romulus

I agree.

For me personally, driving or flying games suit VR the best. So something like GT7 theoretically would be a blast to play in VR. However we can already tell from non VR GT7 that it's pushing the system to its limit in some scenarios.

So now if you combine GT7 with the specs of the VR hardware, specifically 4k (2k x 2k per eye) with 110 degree FOV at 120hz, the technical challenges for the base PS5 hardware to power this title as a VR experience seem insurmountable.

So if we do get GT7 as a VR title, how much of the core experience has to be cut back in order for it to simply run on this VR hardware?

We already know from GT Sport that the VR mode was cut down so significantly to work in VR that you could only ever do solo time trials or limited races against 1 other AI racer.

For that reason, I'm not excited by PSVR2.

If Iracing will run on my 2070S without specific hardware optimization at over 90fps, I have faith GT7 will run on PS5 base. That's not even considering the rendering-saving tech the headset is built around.

Swift_Star

Banned
It's an absolute waste of time and resources considering how small the VR market is compared to the console market. Those Sony studios could be creating PS5 games that ALL PS5 owners could enjoy instead of trying to cater to a niche audience.
You should make a spot in Sony executive board and share your ideas with them. I’d like to see your business case proving what you said. Do you have one?

Billbofet

I think it will be great - except for that chord, but be quickly bested by the MetaQuest 3/4 out of sheer convenience and lowered cost.
Part of me thinks the next big thing for vr won't necessarily be resolution/framerate but features like room scaling or creating augmented/vr environments that cannot be tethered.
Either way, it will only help vr be more mainstream, but won't have the impact that the Quest 2 has had - almost everyone I know or their kids have one. I still don't even know anyone with a PS5 :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Rea

i feel this vr push will make sony produce less exclusive ”ordinary” games. The development of psvr stuff will dilute their already smallish first
Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

They have their own dedicated VR team separately which has nothing to do with the development of PS5 games.
PS studios won't produce less games, in fact all of their studios are expanding and they have more projects compare to previous generation.
"Sony's studios are smallish" ??
Compare to what?
I only see games after games coming out from those studios. They are so damn productive.They don't need massive amounts of studios, when those studios are not productive, its a waste of resources.

Top Bottom