• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else obsess over your fav artists’ Spotify numbers?

RPS37

So the cool thing about Spotify is that you can see how many monthly listeners an artist has and even how many plays individual songs have.
I literally obsess over them and watch as my favorite artists completely BLOW UP at times.
Other times I’ll discover a new artist and be baffled that they have like half a million monthly listeners.
Sometimes i’ll keep checking a song that I like, waiting to see if it’s getting traction.

It’s all so weird.

Dark Star

It's interesting how many of my favorite bands/artists are big on Spotify, but have a really small following on Youtube, or vice versa.

i'm obsessed with Softcult right now, it's like shoegaze dream/goth pop rock:

Last edited:

RPS37

It's interesting how many of my favorite bands/artists are big on Spotify, but have a really small following on Youtube, or vice versa.

i'm obsessed with Softcult right now, it's like shoegaze pop rock:

I see some decent numbers there.

Jack Black Yes GIF

RoboFu

One of the green rats
People build music and music genres way too much into defining their personal psyche. It’s unhealthy really.. it holds a lot of people back in life. Makes it were they can never mature mentally. Don’t do it.

Kabelly

I like to look at them. I like seeing if a song I really like on an album has the most plays. Like is it that "radio" song. Or use them to see what other people really like on an album. And like you said it is nice to see one of you're favourite artists get recognition.

Post some examples please.

Personally, I don't care about following music anymore. I've already heard the best songs that will ever be made. If anything changes in that regard it'll come to my attention one way or another.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I spend more time on music festival boards than GAF these days so, a little, because we're always talking about who can play where in what slot.

But at the same time Spotify only takes you so far. Many people are just using Youtube if not another streaming service. Also often doesn't reflect an artist's popularity where you live i.e. Rosalia has 40m monthly listeners but the majority of those are gonna be in Spain.

Top Bottom