• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone ever looked into Missing 411?

Nymphae

Banned
Saw this meme today about one of the weirder cases, a guy at work was telling me about this missing hiker story a few weeks ago.

1hd5iQf.jpg

This dude from some Atlanta Falcons forum describes Paulides's work:

He's an ex-cop who had gotten into investigations of Sasquatch, which apparently put him in many of the national parks out west. He then heard some stories regarding the unusually high number of people who vanish without any trace from our national parks.

Paulides carefully vets all the cases he discusses in his books chronicling these disappearances, which have been going on for more than a century, or for as long as the US has had national parks. He doesn't include accidents, animal attacks, possible suicides, people who might have wanted to disappear to start a new life.

The Park Service when queried apparently refuses to disclose how many missing they have had, but are quick to point out all the national parks entertain many millions of visitors each year without any problems of any kind. That's great, except for all the families who had a loved one disappear and never be seen or heard from again.

There are a number of things that all these disappearance share in whole or in part. It's a strange mixture of oddities that would not create a lot of stir when viewed one at a time, but when you sift through hundreds, then thousands of these cases where there is no trace found, you see there are definite patterns that emerge.

Here are a few of these strange things ~ people literally vanish in the twinkle of an eye. Parents will look away from their child for mere seconds, then turn around the child is gone without a whisper, without a trace, and the vast majority are never found again. Children who are found will often be found miles from where they went missing. Distances that an adult would have a problem trying to cover on foot walking down a highway, let alone a child from 2 or 3-years old stumbling through a thick forest in the dead of night.

These children will sometimes talk about being accompanied by a bear, or a wolf or some other animal which provides it with warmth and even perhaps a paw full of berries to eat. Others have no clear memory of anything that occurred after they vanished. Most are found without their shoes, but their feet aren't all torn up and bruised from covering rough terrain, climbing mountains, etc. But those are the lucky ones. Most of the children are never found, those who are found are usually dead.

But there are other strange elements to the missing children. Often they are found with their clothes neatly folded nearby. Some are found with their clothing put on backwards or inside out. When the children are found dead, there is no obvious sign of death; no animal attacks, stab wounds, bullet wounds, etc. and most all these deaths are attributed to exposure. Also quite often these children are found in areas that have already been searched, sometimes dozens of times. A search group will find a missing child lying dead across a well-traveled path they have used every day for a week to go to their search grid. Where was the child for the previous four or five days? Others are found dead in places that would have been impossible for them to have reached without help.

Another thing worthy of mention that makes these disappearances so much more puzzling is the massive manpower and resources often expended in the search for missing children, especially in the first week when it is more likely the child is still alive. Hundreds and thousands of trained search and rescue teams with planes and helicopters and volunteer searchers sometimes comb literally every inch of ground in a two-mile radius and beyond. Strangely, when tracking dogs are brought in to aid these searches, they either can't pick up a scent, or just lay down and refuse to search. Dog trainers say this behavior is completely bizarre for these animals love doing their job.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I am extremely interested in missing 411 cases. I've heard quite a few of them on the mysterious universe podcast (listen to this of you like paranormal/conspiracy/weird stuff, enjoy Australian accents, and/or you are not an sjw (their comedy is not for the limp of wrist)).

What I find odd about missing 411 is the clothes thing and that they often find the bodies laying in plain sight at locations searched dozens of times.

The weirdest ones are the young children that travel distances they couldn't possibly travel by themselves with no tracks to show someone carried them.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I am extremely interested in missing 411 cases. I've heard quite a few of them on the mysterious universe podcast (listen to this of you like paranormal/conspiracy/weird stuff, enjoy Australian accents, and/or you are not an sjw (their comedy is not for the limp of wrist)).

What I find odd about missing 411 is the clothes thing and that they often find the bodies laying in plain sight at locations searched dozens of times.

The weirdest ones are the young children that travel distances they couldn't possibly travel by themselves with no tracks to show someone carried them.

I really want to read the books but they're kind of expensive, I've been meaning to watch the documentary online.

Thanks for the podcast recommendation!

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I've listened to many radio shows and podcasts on Missing 411 on YouTube.
Another fascinating aspect of these cases in that tracking dogs absolutely refuse to track for no discernible reason. Or that they find missing children's items high in mountains or on sheer cliffs walls where they couldn't possibly get to.

Last edited by a moderator:

lil puff

Wow, where the hell has this been? I'm into missing persons and forensics and all that, but this a different angle, almost paranormal.

I have heard some weird split personality disorder stuff. One about a woman with multiple personality disorder who hated her other self so bad...
Personality girl one bought gas, lighter, disappeared into the woods and you know the rest.
Investigators had a hard time with that case, because (and this shit happens all the time) ...
The family that made the missing persons report, did not specify that she had a disorder until later.
Like got damn, if you file a missing persons, why hold out on data? Are you so embarrassed, that you are ok with delaying or stalling your own case?
Anyways, no one really knows exactly what happened.

But yeah, 411 looks Interesting, very creepy. Need to look further into this.

BTW, I love the reviews on that page!

GV82

writer known primarily for his self-published books, one dedicated to proving the reality of Bigfoot

I stopped at this point, not really into the whole Bigfoot is real thing, especially as a non American that would be like us Brits believing Nessie is real.

Nymphae

Banned
I stopped at this point, not really into the whole Bigfoot is real thing, especially as a non American that would be like us Brits believing Nessie is real.

I work with a guy who is always trying to push the bigfoot thing on me, and the research just doesn't excite me, but these cases are really interesting. He doesn't claim these 411 cases are Bigfoot, but rather just details the oddities involved with these disappearances, and man there are some oddities. That stuff really interests me because the facts are the facts and no one has an explanation, authorities seem unusually quiet. But yeah the Bigfoot stuff in general I've always found not very compelling.

V4skunk

Banned
I read about one of them, i think an older man being found dead over 150 miles away before he even got reported missing. They didn't know who the body was until after the missing report went in....

lil puff

My boss' husband is a Bigfoot manic.

They actually go out on hunts a few times a year into forests in NJ to look for it.
He claims he saw it a few times, but could not catch it on camera.

Yeah bud.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I love David Paulides. I also set aside my evening when he appears on Coast to Coast AM.

I ALSO have the Missing 411 documentary on VUDU but haven't watched it yet.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I really want to read the books but they're kind of expensive, I've been meaning to watch the documentary online.

Thanks for the podcast recommendation!
This is their webpage

Though, the two guys that do the padcast do not contribute to the stories posted on the site, they own it and do pretty meaty podcasts twice a week (you have to be a member for one of the podcasts). If you are familiar with UFO literature you might recognize that Nick Redfern writes articles for them every once and a while.

One of my favorite things about how Benjamin Grundy and Aaron Wright run the Mysterious Universe podcast is that they don't just randomly discuss a topic. Instead they read a book on a topic, do supplemental research, and then usually use those books, along with other media, to tell a cohesive story, interjecting their humor and thoughts throughout. Its incredibly well done and I love to listen to them even if the topic is a bit too woo woo for me. I believe they have had David Paulides on a few times, and always cover his new books when they come out.

Disclaimer: I do pay for the $9 "plus" membership and find it a great value. They are infinitely better at their jobs than most paranormal podcasters, and not annoying like coast to coast.

With missing 411 Paulides never really says what he thinks is happening to these people though he sometimes hints he thinks its paranormal. His bigfoot stuff is completely separate AFAIK.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
One of my favorite things about how Benjamin Grundy and Alex Wright run the Mysterious Universe podcast is that they don't just randomly discuss a topic. Instead they read a book on a topic, do supplemental research, and then usually use those books, along with other media, to tell a cohesive story, interjecting their humor and thoughts throughout. Its incredibly well done and I love to listen to them even if the topic is a bit too woo woo for me.

That sounds really good, thanks!

McCheese

He clipped out of our reality and is stuck in the back rooms.

Folks folding up cloths and going missing is a pretty well researched trait caused by snow blindness / madness.

These phenomenon are common with search and rescue - people can become hypothermic at surprisingly high temperatures, and one common reaction to severe hypothermia is to remove clothing. People also miss obvious things.

However. . .

This caught my eye with the 411 cases. Kids theoretically can make up being grabbed by bigfoot or whatever, but they cannot imagine themselves into some of the positions these missing kids have been found alive in. Up cliffs, miles and miles from where they went missing, and in good shape. . .it is not plausible. Stuff like that makes me question because I need a plausible answer for little kids navigating very difficult terrain abnormally quickly.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
These phenomenon are common with search and rescue - people can become hypothermic at surprisingly high temperatures, and one common reaction to severe hypothermia is to remove clothing. People also miss obvious things.

However. . .

This caught my eye with the 411 cases. Kids theoretically can make up being grabbed by bigfoot or whatever, but they cannot imagine themselves into some of the positions these missing kids have been found alive in. Up cliffs, miles and miles from where they went missing, and in good shape. . .it is not plausible. Stuff like that makes me question because I need a plausible answer for little kids navigating very difficult terrain abnormally quickly.
Hypothermia yes it can cause people to think they are hot, but some people remove clothes in the summer when it is warm. Also most of these cases likely have realistic answers but they are still strange.

Last edited:
Hypothermia yes it can cause people to think they are hot, but some people remove clothes in the summer when it is warm. Also most of these cases likely have realistic answers but they are still strange.

I just meant that, even in summer, wooded and mountainous areas can get cold enough to cause hypothermic exposure.

Those sort of cases I can find reasonable explanations for, but I do not see a realistic explanation for a lot of the cases of little kids traveling miles in forests and mountains in relatively short times.

Polelock

My Wife and I have started watching this recently. I don't neccesarily believe in a Bigfoot or supernatural but I do believe it's not a coincident they are dissappearing near cave systems. There was one investiagtion that had what was supposed to be "Bigfoot" talking. It sounded truly bizarre and almost like a Native American dialect. Could there be an unknown large cryptid running around the woods? Absolutely. I think personally people under esitmate the time between looking back and forth at their kids. It's easy to turn your head for even 5 mins. That is long enough to get a couple hundred yards into the woods. If you go out, be respectful of the environment, it can and will kill you if you aren't prepared.

Saw this meme today about one of the weirder cases, a guy at work was telling me about this missing hiker story a few weeks ago.

1hd5iQf.jpg

This dude from some Atlanta Falcons forum describes Paulides's work:
There's a rational explanation but it isn't a nice one...

The kids are taken out there to die.
They die from exposure so there's no murder weapon or DNA. The body's are moved by the parents when a search party is in the area, because the parents panic. This would also explain the folding of clothing or clothes on backwards and upside down; the parents panic and try to make it look stranger than it is.

Sorry about it being such a dark answer, but the pieces fit and it makes sense.

Darkmakaimura

There's a rational explanation but it isn't a nice one...

The kids are taken out there to die.
They die from exposure so there's no murder weapon or DNA. The body's are moved by the parents when a search party is in the area, because the parents panic. This would also explain the folding of clothing or clothes on backwards and upside down; the parents panic and try to make it look stranger than it is.

Sorry about it being such a dark answer, but the pieces fit and it makes sense.
Sometimes the kids are found in spots that would be nearly impossible for even an adult to access so it's unlikely.

Phase

There's always one likely answer for me: It's the government.

With the sheer amount of cave systems it's impossible to search it all. My guess is the 3 letter agencies are behind a lot of missing people. Possibly experimenting, probably a lot of child trafficking activity. I'm reminded of a map someone posted once of missing people and cave systems, here it is. The top is where there are reports of people going missing (and clusters of them), bottom is cave systems.

lv4mw88hwdv31.png

Last edited:
Sometimes the kids are found in spots that would be nearly impossible for even an adult to access so it's unlikely.
Sometimes,
Nearly,
Unlikely.

These kids might be runners or climbers as a hobby.

I would imagine that failures in athletics are just as bad to pushy parents as a failure in academics is.

For all of these cases I would like to see their relationships with their parents, friends and social circles, ethnicity, socio-economic background and religion.

I'll be willing to bet a few quid that you will find commonalities.

Echelon

It's stupid dumb conspiracy theory shit that peanut brain people enjoy and believe in. Same bucket as anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, and the rest of the slackjaw fanclubs.

Remember, you believe in conspiracy theories because you want the universe to make sense when it doesn't. Also, you've never heard of Occam's razor.

Darkmakaimura

Sometimes,
Nearly,
Unlikely.

These kids might be runners or climbers as a hobby.

I would imagine that failures in athletics are just as bad to pushy parents as a failure in academics is.

For all of these cases I would like to see their relationships with their parents, friends and social circles, ethnicity, socio-economic background and religion.

I'll be willing to bet a few quid that you will find commonalities.
Many of the kids are like 7 or 8 years so I sincerely doubt they're trained athletes lol.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Anyone else catch that the black guys death in Unsolved Mysteries was very "Missing 411ish"?

- Disappeared in a rural area
- Shoes and hat found discarded
- Storm the night he disappeared
- Big time multi-agency search including diving crews
- Was found later in an area the diving crews searched
- Diving crew doesn't know how they, or anyone, didn't see him on the bank
- Seemed to be "Laid" on the ground to be found.

I realize this case is probably just a murder by individuals at the party but all of that stuff instantly made me think missing 411.

Also, I see some idiot from snopes finally decided to drop by this thread. Thanks for your input I guess.... BTW, you cant use Occam's Razor like that.

So many debunkers claim things are debunked because of "Muh Occam's Razor" without realizing that Occam's Razor fails miserably when deciding outcomes with as many variables as cases like these do. Remember reality is often stranger than fiction. Also, Occam's Razor only helps you get a hypothesis, it is not proof of anything in and of itself, and if that hypothesis fails then Occam's Razor fails.

Mr. Snopes, providing doubt doesn't mean something is debunked either. I hate when debunkers and the snopes crowd provide a smidgen of doubt and then pat themselves on the back for another successful debunking. Most of those assholes are the type of people who show up to a party and everyone ignores them because they are too arrogant and annoying to talk to.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Some of the cases are crazy.
One guy was found dead hundreds of miles away before his wife even knew he had gone missing.
And it was impossible for the guy to travel the distance in the time he was last seen by his wife to when his body was found.

Top Bottom