• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone has sleep apnea?

I did a sleep apnea test 3 weeks ago and got the test results today and found out I have mild obstructive sleep apnea. This could explain a lot of things and the fact that I very rarely get up refreshed in the morning

I took an appointement next week for a CPAP machine, this shit looks really uncomfortable and annoying. I was wondering if anyone here has sleep apnea and ended up getting a CPAP and if it really improved your quality of life and if it was worth it?

Barneyco

I've had a machine for 15 years. It took about a month to get used to it. Now i can't sleep without it. Don't get frustrated and quit using it after a couple of days. I started getting rem sleep and dreaming again. Some people notice the difference right away. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Codes 208

I've had one for years. Results are immediate in both directions. When you use it you sleep great. When you don't you feel like ass.
This is pretty much what my parents tell me. Havent had the chance to try myself but i bet id finally get a solid 8 hour sleep cycle

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks. I'm now looking through the models they told me they had available and trying to pick one. I'll definitely update this once I get it after a few nights of sleep with it
I've had one for years. Results are immediate in both directions. When you use it you sleep great. When you don't you feel like ass.
Damn, really hoping this will be the case for me as well

Last edited:
For sleep apnea, a CPAP machine 9 times out of 10 is life changing and life saving no matter the age. You are unknowingly losing quite a bit of sleep, and at worse, your breathing can stop for lengthy durations of time to where it can be deadly. To add, it is what's causing your fatigue and tiredness throughout the day.

Your body needs sleep. You need to breathe. Don't ignore either.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I did a sleep apnea test 3 weeks ago and got the test results today and found out I have mild obstructive sleep apnea. This could explain a lot of things and the fact that I very rarely get up refreshed in the morning

I took an appointement next week for a CPAP machine, this shit looks really uncomfortable and annoying. I was wondering if anyone here has sleep apnea and ended up getting a CPAP and if it really improved your quality of life and if it was worth it?
I don't have a CPAP but a mandibular adjustment mouthpiece helped me to stop snoring at night. Good luck with the CPAP they are life changing.

DosGamer

I have a deviated septum from getting hit in the nose and breaking it playing basketball. Needless to say, I can sleep on my left side... no problem and I can breathe freely. If I roll over to my right side I can feel my nasal passages start to close up and thus I start mouth breathing... problem is, I wake up with super dry mouth from having my mouth open.. so I sleep mainly on back or left side.
Im gonna try some breatheright strips.

I have a deviated septum from getting hit in the nose and breaking it playing basketball. Needless to say, I can sleep on my left side... no problem and I can breathe freely. If I roll over to my right side I can feel my nasal passages start to close up and thus I start mouth breathing... problem is, I wake up with super dry mouth from having my mouth open.. so I sleep mainly on back or left side.
Im gonna try some breatheright strips.
I also have a deviated septum, breathing strips really helps

Sleep on your side, you dumbasses.
I'm a side sleeper mate :(

What did you do for the test? I’m thinking of seeing my doctor about this. I never wake up refreshed any more, and apparently snore horribly. Rarely do I remember dreams either.
Went over to the clinic, showed me how this little test machine worked. Hooked it up, slept with it at home and returned it the next day.

Darth Giggity

Neo Member
I literally picked my machine up today. i did an at home test like two months ago.. 60 events of not breathing per hour.. that classifies as severe. Did a sleep study in the lab with a machine and it showed the same. the mask i chose just goes over the nose so not too obstructive. and i am not overweight and i sleep on my back stomach and side..

I literally picked my machine up today. i did an at home test like two months ago.. 60 events of not breathing per hour.. that classifies as severe. Did a sleep study in the lab with a machine and it showed the same. the mask i chose just goes over the nose so not too obstructive. and i am not overweight and i sleep on my back stomach and side..
60? Shit that's a lot. I'm also looking at nasal masks, I don't want a full face

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yup. Had it for a few years now. I got used to it pretty quick. I generally get 4-6 hours of sleep. Kids, work and life tend to prevent me from getting more. But the 4-6 hours feels like 8, when wearing a mask.

There are days I don’t wear it. I call those my “just let it go” nights, where I’ve had enough of the kids and work. I play chicken with death, and the son of a bitch always swerves.

Ron Mexico

My wife has one as well to add to the list of normal BMI but severe sleep apnea. We moved a few months ago and in the process of getting established with new docs down here, she had to do an at-home sleep study which meant not using the mask for 3 days in advance.

You could see instantly the difference in her as well as the relief when things were back to "normal". So even from a quasi-outsider's perspective-- that little machine is worth its weight in gold.

My wife has one as well to add to the list of normal BMI but severe sleep apnea. We moved a few months ago and in the process of getting established with new docs down here, she had to do an at-home sleep study which meant not using the mask for 3 days in advance.

You could see instantly the difference in her as well as the relief when things were back to "normal". So even from a quasi-outsider's perspective-- that little machine is worth its weight in gold.
I've had long stretches that no matter how many hours of sleep I'd get, I had huge dark circles under my eyes as if I hadn't slept for a week

Darth Giggity

Neo Member
I'm experiencing rainout, I need to mess around with the humidifier and temperature of the hose. Has this happened to you?
it happened once in the past week of using it. I didn't mess with any settings, but i do have it set to auto and i guess it tries to match room temp and humidity. I've really only had one night in this past week where i felt fully rested, but i did go to bed earlier than usual that night.

K' Dash

I did, they recommended me to lose weight so I started going to the gym and eating better. It's not easy but beats dying.

I lost 45 pounds and my sleep apnea disappeared.

I'm now 175, so I look great, feel great and breath better at night.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I used to smoke weed really heavily, like completely stoned every single day. This was a habit for the best part of 10 years before I quit when I moved to Manchester.

Towards the end I found I would occasionally wake up with a jolt during the night, apparently struggling to breathe, sometimes a few times a night. Maybe it was a psychological side-effect of 10 years of heavy weed use, or actual sleep apnea, but it was terrifying…

I actually started to worry my body would fail to wake me up one of these times, which again might well have been paranoia from the weed, but I stopped shortly after it became frequent.

Fuck that…😂

Last edited:
I did, they recommended me to lose weight so I started going to the gym and eating better. It's not easy but beats dying.

Yeah wish it was only weight related, I'm still gonna keep looking at what I eat and exercise since that should help as well

I had always thought sleep apnea was purely caused by obesity until this thread.

I read on Healthline that half of people with sleep apnea are overweight or obese. But 73% of US adults overweight or obese.

Then they said that a 10% weight gain increases your chance of apnea 6x. Now I'm confused again.

badblue

I had always thought sleep apnea was purely caused by obesity until this thread.

I read on Healthline that half of people with sleep apnea are overweight or obese. But 73% of US adults overweight or obese.

Then they said that a 10% weight gain increases your chance of apnea 6x. Now I'm confused again.

Obesity is one of the causes of sleep apnea, not the only one.

Weight gain increases your chance or will make it worst for sure but you can have sleep apnea and be in good shape. Also, one factor I've heard often is the size of your neck, as strange as it sounds.

Dthomp

I need to get in for a sleep test again, was dianosed with mild obstructive years back but they were beyond laxed and said I could do another if I wanted but at the time I had nowhere near the money for a second sleep study and cpap but now I think I could. My apple watch tells me I sleep terrible and barely see any REM or Deep Sleep at all and feel like ass almost every single day.

I need to get in for a sleep test again, was dianosed with mild obstructive years back but they were beyond laxed and said I could do another if I wanted but at the time I had nowhere near the money for a second sleep study and cpap but now I think I could. My apple watch tells me I sleep terrible and barely see any REM or Deep Sleep at all and feel like ass almost every single day.

If you have an android phone lying around, use Sleep As Android to monitor your sleep with movement and sound

Kurotri

I can vouch for this, losing weight helped me too.

K' Dash

Yeah wish it was only weight related, I'm still gonna keep looking at what I eat and exercise since that should help as well

The most important thing is your nutrition, so take a look at that , it doesn’t have to be something drastic, small changes Can have great impact in your body.

I’d go to a nutritionist, let them know my goal and they will put you in the right path, you can even tell them how restrictive you wish your diet to be.

Regarding exercise, if you do a small walk a few times a week, coupled with a better nutrition, you’ll start seeing changes soon enough.

Good luck brother.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If you can't get a CPAP, try a mandibular adjustment mouthpiece.

Top Bottom