• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here actually in the video game industry?

SD-Ness

Anyone actually in the video game industry?

I'm wondering what its actually like. What's your job? How do you like it? What do you do? Questions like that...

ge-man

bishoptl
FortNinety
CrazyMoogle

Those are just a few off the top of my head. There's quite a few industry folks who hang out here.

rastex

Banned
Dyne said:
Me too.. I do prerelease stuff for EA. I'm doing co-op for University for them later.

I'm a co-op there now. It seriously rocks, and I really hope they like me enough for me to come back!

Dyne and Rastex. Are you guys in the Stanford and USC programs? Which studios are you interning at (I assume you're interning)?

rastex said:
I go to University of Waterloo.

I'm interning at the Redwood Shores studio. EAHQ :)

Cool. We've got an intern from USC down here in the LA studio that is doing great work for us. I would bring him onboard after he graduates in a heartbeat if it were up to me.

The co-op program has proven great for us so far.

rastex

Banned
I've been hearing that a lot. I have a lot to live up to...

but I think I'm up for it. This is an opportunity of a lifetime so can't be lazy and botch it up.

SuperPac

I used to be a games journalist. Does that count? My secret "getting hired" technique was that I already lived close to the office--they didn't have to move me.

mattx5

SuperPac said:
I used to be a games journalist. Does that count?

Are you CJ? If so, when did you stop writing for EGM? I've missed the last couple of issues, but wanted to start subscribing again. But now that you've stopped writing for EGM..... I have no reason to re-subscribe. Is Crispin still working there at least? He's like one of the only veterans left (I assume Shoe's still there?)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
SuperPac said:
I used to be a games journalist. Does that count? My secret "getting hired" technique was that I already lived close to the office--they didn't have to move me.
Car magazine journalists are not part of the automobile industry, so I wouldn't say that gaming journalists are part of the videogame industry :)

DMczaf

nathkenn said:
yeah me, EA tiburon

heart.gif

SuperPac

Yep, that's me. I stopped writing for EGM at the end of March. Last issue was the June '04 mag with KOTOR 2 on the cover. I left to do something new/different for a while.

mattx5

SuperPac said:
Yep, that's me. I stopped writing for EGM at the end of March. Last issue was the June '04 mag with KOTOR 2 on the cover. I left to do something new/different for a while.

Well, good luck with whatever your future may hold. I just wanted to let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed your writing while you were at EGM :)

I used to be a qa tester, and had just started doing some design work before the ass company I worked for closed down our offices. I did that for 2 1/2 years after highschool. Now I'm going to school for a comp science degree. Just about to finish my generals next semester.

Got close I went for a character Design job at Ubi Soft when they were working on Batman and had an office in NY yet got interviewed for a game design job. I met a fat french canadian. He was a dick he asked me to set upa scenerio where the player had to find a switch. I um "borrowed" something from LTTP and the magic mirror bu changed it to fit batman. he responded well the player can just run around pushing stuff till they found the switch. I said heh and left. I felt like such an ass seeing how good the batman game tunrned out....riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Great Wasabi Man said:
Got close I went for a character Design job at Ubi Soft when they were working on Batman and had an office in NY yet got interviewed for a game design job. I met a fat french canadian. He was a dick he asked me to set upa scenerio where the player had to find a switch. I um "borrowed" something from LTTP and the magic mirror bu changed it to fit batman. he responded well the player can just run around pushing stuff till they found the switch. I said heh and left. I felt like such an ass seeing how good the batman game tunrned out....riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

The French are better than you. Don't you see that yet?

Dyne

Ferrarisimo said:
Dyne and Rastex. Are you guys in the Stanford and USC programs? Which studios are you interning at (I assume you're interning)?

Simon Fraser University with EA Canada. EA Canada is absolutely breathtaking; great facility. Both are 15-20 minutes away.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
To all Canadian EA Interns, I am a student at the University of Western Ontario going on to second year (Business program), and am planning on becoming an intern in the Human Resource department sometime in the future. Can you guys give me some ideas on the possibility of being hired, and which season would be the best/easiet to become an intern there ? Right now I'm thinking about next summer, so give me your thoughts ! Thanks !!!

Oh, and just so you know, I want to apply to its Burnaby campus, and since my home is in Vancouver, I don't think accomodation and stuff will be a problem !

rastex

Banned
NetMapel said:
To all Canadian EA Interns, I am a student at the University of Western Ontario going on to second year (Business program), and am planning on becoming an intern in the Human Resource department sometime in the future. Can you guys give me some ideas on the possibility of being hired, and which season would be the best/easiet to become an intern there ? Right now I'm thinking about next summer, so give me your thoughts ! Thanks !!!

Oh, and just so you know, I want to apply to its Burnaby campus, and since my home is in Vancouver, I don't think accomodation and stuff will be a problem !

My girlfriend goes to Western, she's in science though :p

I don't know about EAC (EA Canada) but it looks like EARS (Redwood Shores) does a lot of their internships in the summer. But that's because they take in a lot of American students. Another thing about EARS is that all the business/marketing/hr/pr interns I've met have all just finished their undergrad careers or are already doing their masters. But it's never too early to start applying, just start applying now, I mean today, like right now, find contacts that type of thing and if they want you they'll make it happen.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
rastex said:
My girlfriend goes to Western, she's in science though :p

I don't know about EAC (EA Canada) but it looks like EARS (Redwood Shores) does a lot of their internships in the summer. But that's because they take in a lot of American students. Another thing about EARS is that all the business/marketing/hr/pr interns I've met have all just finished their undergrad careers or are already doing their masters. But it's never too early to start applying, just start applying now, I mean today, like right now, find contacts that type of thing and if they want you they'll make it happen.
Appreciate your help, on their website, it says I should contact my school's co-op/intern counceller about this. I'm now wondering whether or not I should phone EAC first and kind of make myself known to them first before discussing this with a counceller when I return to Western. I am tempted to phone in and just ask a few questions and make myself known in EAC first, but I wonder if they'll remember me in a year from now on ^_^v

Oh, and this is EAC's co-op website http://jobs.ea.com/coop/index.html

Dyne

NetMapel said:
Appreciate your help, on their website, it says I should contact my school's co-op/intern counceller about this. I'm now wondering whether or not I should phone EAC first and kind of make myself known to them first before discussing this with a counceller when I return to Western. I am tempted to phone in and just ask a few questions and make myself known in EAC first, but I wonder if they'll remember me in a year from now on ^_^v

Oh, and this is EAC's co-op website http://jobs.ea.com/coop/index.html

Yep, that's the page I showed to my high school counseller. Heh. I still have to finish at least a year of university before I'm allowed co-op though.

I've been pursuing this for a while now, but I know I'll have an attractive resume with the prerelease work with them.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Not now but soon. I've just now transfered from my current university to take ITT Tech's Bachelors in Game Design program, and hopefully I'll be in the mix in a few years.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Does voluntary work count?

Top Bottom