• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone Here Have Crohn's Disease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombadil

Banned
Hey guys. Three weeks ago, starting on December 25th, I started feeling very lousy. I had abdominal burning sensations but I mistook it for stomach burning and was diagnosed with gastritis and given omemprazole (Prilosec). I also had severe nausea and would sometimes vomit but nothing would happen, like gagging. I waited a week and then went to another doctor, this time a gastroenterologist, and she was a good listener. I told her all my symptoms: fatigue, nausea, abdominal burning in my lower right abdomen (very mild though), unformed stools, sometimes diarrhea, sometimes constipation, loss of appetite, inability to focus, disinterest.

She performed a routine exam where she pressed on several areas of my abdomen and asked me where it hurt. I told her where (lower right), and she asked me for more info. I told her I had gone to see the Hobbit with a friend of mine on the 14th of December and I hadn't eat anything all day (except a bag of Hot Cheetos, which I forgot to tell her). I then had a heavy meal of Johnny Rocket's cheeseburgers and onion rings with plenty of soda. And that night as soon as the film started I was hit with a heavy wave of nausea that I thought was caused by the 3D, but in tandem, I had a severe case of indigestion.

Anyway, I spent the night in the theater's bathroom trying to avoid vomiting but also trying to have a bowel movement. The morning after I felt a little better but not at a 100 percent. On the 23rd of the december, nine days after, I started to feel nauseous again after eating a bowl of soup. It later subsided. Then on Christmas Eve, I was forced to eat some beef and later forced to have a cup of coffee, which I usually don't drink.

From Christmas day onward, I felt very terrible.

Anyway, the gastroenterologist told me that she was pretty sure I probably just had a bacterial infection from the undercooked meat and she prescribed Metronidazole, an antibiotic to be taken three times a day for seven days.

It is now day 7, and although I feel better than I did a couple of weeks ago, I still experience nausea (probably caused by the metronidazole) and the lower right part of my abdomen has a burning sensation. And I still have about three bowel movements a day, all in the morning time (one hour apart from each other), with loose, unformed stools that are not quite water diarrhea but aren't a healthy shape.

Ever since I got sick I've been obsessively researching what this might be. My symptoms are mild but they still bug me to the point where I have little appetite for food and have trouble sleeping. I have trouble lying on my stomach as well, and that's usually how I sleep.

So I read about Crohn's, an intestinal bowel disease I had read about years ago and always dreaded the idea of, and I read that usually the ileum of the small intestine is inflamed. It's really close to the appendix so I'm not sure if my ileum is inflamed or if it's my appendix. I don't have the usual symptoms of appendicitis (no sharp, unbearable pains) but I'm really hoping that it's my appendix because if it is then what I have is treatable and not chronic like Crohn's. I had a blood test done a week ago at the gastroenterologist to test for H. Pylori and they'll have the results by this Thursday. I don't suspect I have H. Pylori anymore because the inflammation seems to be in my lower intestines, but I'm hoping the blood test provides me with some answers.

Does anyone on Neogaf have Crohn's? Can you share your experiences?

btrboyev

I have ulcerative colitis and it's similar to Crohn's

I don't think you have crohn's. You'd be going to the bathroom a lot more i think. Almost uncontrollable at times. You'd also probably have lots of bloody stool.

Bombadil

Banned
I have ulcerative colitis and it's similar to Crohn's

I don't think you have crohn's. You'd be going to the bathroom a lot more i think. Almost uncontrollable at times. You'd also probably have lots of bloody stool.

That's what confuses me. But isn't it possible that it's a milder form of Crohn's?

I'm 22 years old.

Also, I was a nail biter for most of my life up until recently. Nail biting can contribute to appendicitis, but the pain is not sharp; it's dull and feels more like inflammation. Also, how do you deal with ulcerative colitis. I mean, from day to day, are you okay?

lil smoke

Banned
I have some related digestive issues, not Crohns. A coworker here does have it.

But this stuff is so complex, could be this, could be that. When it comes to stomach, intestinal, esophageal, all the way to tonsil, throat, sinus, ears... the medical community does not know it's shit here. Its a shame.

Get as many medical opinions as you can, and its good to ask around just like you're doing. You'll learn a lot more thru regular people than you will a doctor.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So, were you diagnosed Crohn's by your medic or by yourself?

Just be sure, don't give yourself medication for something you might not have! Heck, I was diagnosed with Wolf-Parkinson-White, and I doubt I have it. Hopefully it's not a chronic disease, friend, and it's something easily curable and treatable.

Ra\/en

Crohn Disease is a terrible affliction. I hope you don't have it. Are you waking up in the middle of the night to have to go to the washroom? Any blood in your stool? ulcers around your anus or mouth? Redness on your shins? eye redness? joint pain?

Get as many medical opinions as you can, and its good to ask around just like you're doing. You'll learn a lot more thru regular people than you will a doctor.

FYI this is terrible advice.

DoomGyver

I have crohn's and I actually had my second colonoscopy today. (thank god that's over) I have had it for over 10 years, and it took me 8 of those years to get to a point where I could comfortably live my life again. I had sharp pains, runny slimy diarrhea which was black, and I couldn't keep anything down.

Wait for the results and if things aren't getting better after an amount of time get a second opinion.

Ever since I got sick I've been obsessively researching what this might be. My symptoms are mild but they still bug me to the point where I have little appetite for food and have trouble sleeping. I have trouble lying on my stomach as well, and that's usually how I sleep.

This is a bad idea. Stressing yourself out by trusting doctor Google is never good.

Bombadil

Banned
So, were you diagnosed Crohn's by your medic or by yourself?

Just be sure, don't give yourself medication for something you might not have! Heck, I was diagnosed with Wolf-Parkinson-White, and I doubt I have it. Hopefully it's not a chronic disease, friend, and it's something easily curable and treatable.

The first doctor diagnosed me with gastritis. A week later, another doctor told me I probably had a bacterial infection and prescribed me with an antibiotic. The antibiotic helped a little at first but the symptoms have leveled off. I'm also depressed so my fatigue could in part be because of that. Also, the gastroenterologist told me she didn't want to do a stool test to confirm an infection because in her experience they're inaccurate (they say there isn't an infection when there is) and she said they cost a lot. At no point did she ask me if I was willing to pay for the test. I would have been for some clear cut answers. It seems doctors in America are very conscious of how expensive they are.

By the way, I don't have health insurance. But I have some money savedup and I'm willing to blow through it to get better.

Bombadil

Banned
But this stuff is so complex, could be this, could be that. When it comes to stomach, intestinal, esophageal, all the way to tonsil, throat, sinus, ears... the medical community does not know it's shit here. Its a shame.

You're right about that. Crohn's is still very hard to diagnose and treat, and the medical community is still not sure about what causes it despite its discover like 100 years ago.

Crohn Disease is a terrible affliction. I hope you don't have it. Are you waking up in the middle of the night to have to go to the washroom? Any blood in your stool? ulcers around your anus or mouth? Redness on your shins? eye redness? joint pain?

FYI this is terrible advice.

I don't have a frequent bathroom urgency as some people describe. I go three times a day, not because I'm about to die if I don't, but because I feel that I can. The stool is usually unformed, and I check very carefully for blood but haven't found any. I don't have ulcers around my anus or mouth. At night I feel the sensation in my abdomen and it's hard to sleep. I don't want to describe it as pain because I've felt severe stomach pains before and this ain't it. I don't have redness on my shins. No joint pain. No eye redness.

I have crohn's and I actually had my second colonoscopy today. (thank god that's over) I have had it for over 10 years, and it took me 8 of those years to get to a point where I could comfortably live my life again. I had sharp pains, runny slimy diarrhea which was black, and I couldn't keep anything down.

Wait for the results and if things aren't getting better after an amount of time get a second opinion.

I'm sorry to hear that. Are you in remission now? How is your day to day life like?

This is a bad idea. Stressing yourself out by trusting doctor Google is never good.

I know but I just graduated from uni and I have nothing to do. I was supposed to get a job and then this happened and now I just sit at home watching Arrested Development over and over again and researching what this could be.

Chopper

I've worried about my stomach for a while. But I have a feeling my symptoms would be more serious if it were Crohns.

I get very nauseous in the mornings, especially if I am woken by an alarm. I am unable to sleep on my stomach (my preference) as a result. My appetite is absolutely minimal, and is only improved by smoking pot. So, I'm just about able to stomach a sandwich at lunchtime and a full meal in the evening. Eating earlier in the evening eases nausea in the morning, but my job and lifestyle doesn't make eating early very easy. It really gets me down, but I haven't had time to see a doctor. A friend suggested it might be an ulcer.

OP, if it's not "pain", is it like a feeling of severe emptiness? That's how it feels to me.

If you have Crohns, it seems like it would be mild if you're only going 3 times a day. I had ulcerative colitis for years and every day I'd have to go 3 times before it was even noon.

I know a lot of people with Crohns that have it pretty much under control... a big nuisance but their lives are essentially normal most of the time, don't drive yourself nuts worrying about it. I know when I first found out I had colitis, I was insanely spooked, but you adjust.

I don't have colitis anymore, I had my colon removed in April. It developed into colon cancer, which you have to watch out for if you have Crohns or colitis... not to alarm you, I mean, don't worry too much about this, I was freakishly young for this kind of thing and you'll be constantly monitored for this anyway. If you're one of the unlucky few, they'll catch it early, as they did with me.

Anyway, even in the worst case scenario with this stuff (it doesn't get any worse than mine), it's not that bad anymore, treatments have come a long way. They yanked my entire colon out and I didn't have to get a gross icky colostomy, they gave me a J-pouch... they just reconfigured my small intestine to do with my large one used to, and I'm able to go normally. Shitting without a colon, medical science, hurrah.

Ra\/en

Well it sounds like if you do have Crohn's, it's not in full bloom. I agree that it sounds a bit more like an infectious etiology, but I'm no substitute for medical advice (just a med student). I'm sorry that you don't have medical insurance. I can appreciate that trips to the doc are expensive, and that if they have to run tests and take a while to diagnose what's going on, this could be a rather financially difficult thing to go through.

All the best. Maybe your doc can suggest some alternate methods of getting coverage for these tests and such?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Self-diagnosing on WebMD never works out well because it always works like this:

dangers-of-webmd.jpg

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
My 25 year old sister was just diagnosed with crohns. I feel really bad for her. I just hope it doesn't affect her life too much. She was checked for it because of blood in her stool for the past several months and stomach problems she's had. Plus she's always had more health problems than me and my other sister, which her current doctor says should have been a red flag years ago.

Anyone here with crohns wanna comment on how it's affected their diet? She's a vegan..

Bombadil

Banned
I've worried about my stomach for a while. But I have a feeling my symptoms would be more serious if it were Crohns.

I get very nauseous in the mornings, especially if I am woken by an alarm. I am unable to sleep on my stomach (my preference) as a result. My appetite is absolutely minimal, and is only improved by smoking pot. So, I'm just about able to stomach a sandwich at lunchtime and a full meal in the evening. Eating earlier in the evening eases nausea in the morning, but my job and lifestyle doesn't make eating early very easy. It really gets me down, but I haven't had time to see a doctor. A friend suggested it might be an ulcer.

OP, if it's not "pain", is it like a feeling of severe emptiness? That's how it feels to me.

No, it doesn't feel like an emptiness. It feels like burning. Like you, I also woke up often feeling nauseous. But that's because I always slept late and woke up early for class. I didn't eat breakfast but had a hankering for food by noon. This thing came on very suddenly.

If you have Crohns, it seems like it would be mild if you're only going 3 times a day. I had ulcerative colitis for years and every day I'd have to go 3 times before it was even noon.

I know a lot of people with Crohns that have it pretty much under control... a big nuisance but their lives are essentially normal most of the time, don't drive yourself nuts worrying about it. I know when I first found out I had colitis, I was insanely spooked, but you adjust.

I don't have colitis anymore, I had my colon removed in April. It developed into colon cancer, which you have to watch out for if you have Crohns or colitis... not to alarm you, I mean, don't worry too much about this, I was freakishly young for this kind of thing and you'll be constantly monitored for this anyway. If you're one of the unlucky few, they'll catch it early.

Anyway, even in the worst case scenario with this stuff, it's not that bad anymore, treatments have come a long way. They yanked my entire colon out and I didn't have to get a gross icky colostomy, they gave me a J-pouch... they just reconfigured my small intestine to do with my large one used to, and I'm able to go normally. Shitting without a colon, medical science, hurrah.

That sucks dude, but if everything is working out good for you, then I'm glad. I don't think I can afford that kind of surgery. I've never even had an endoscopy or colonoscopy.

Well it sounds like if you do have Crohn's, it's not in full bloom. I agree that it sounds a bit more like an infectious etiology, but I'm no substitute for medical advice (just a med student). I'm sorry that you don't have medical insurance. I can appreciate that trips to the doc are expensive, and that if they have to run tests and take a while to diagnose what's going on, this could be a rather financially difficult thing to go through.

All the best. Maybe your doc can suggest some alternate methods of getting coverage for these tests and such?

The worst thing is that where I live has greatly affected how I feel about it. If I were living in Canada or France, I'd say, "Alright, let's get better." I'm in the US without any insurance so I'm praying to god for help.

My cousin has it. Terrible disease. Two surgeries in 5 years to remove about 30cm of intestine total and she's on Remicade infusions now. Every 2 months for the rest of her life. Seems to work well at keeping it in remission. Expensive as hell so better hope your insurance covers it.

She is terribly thin and special diet and all since obviously a lot of foods can worsen the condition. She drinks a lot of Ensure.

ruxtpin

Banned
My g/f has it. She's had a really bad flare-up the last year. Week long stay in the hospital at one point.

I won't pretend to know how she feels all the time. But she has to be really careful about what she eats. Sometimes I think she gets bothered by the meds she has to take more than the Crohn's itself; she has to take steroids, gets all puffy faced and that impacts her self-confidence.

I don't think it's a fun disease to have (but then again, what disease is?), but I do think it's manageable. And depending on where it's located, surgery is a possible solution - to have the inflamed portion of the intestine removed (a caveat being that removal and location also determines if an ostomy-bag would be required).

Seanbob11

I've had Crohns Disease since I was 9, I'm now 22. It's been a really tough ride at times, I've even had to have a colostomy. I hope you don't have it, but if you do and need to talk it out with someone feel free to PM me.

DoomGyver

I'm sorry to hear that. Are you in remission now? How is your day to day life like?
For the most part I am in remission. The colonoscopy I had today was to see if there was any inflammation, and so that my doctor can regulate my meds to better suit my particular condition. I still have slight inflammation of my small intestine, but no polyps at all! I'll have a follow up visit with my doctor in a couple of weeks.

Crohn's hit me when I was in highschool, my grades plummeted because I just could not concentrate when I'm basically fighting for my life. I was sick off and on during the first 8 years, trying different meds out and different diets. I was sick when I moved into my dorm room for college, thought I could fight it and make it work.. 2.5 years later I had to drop out so I could focus on my health. Now I can't afford to go back to school and I'm currently welding for shit pay and at a shit factory. But I have my health, and that's all that really matters.

tl;dr Crohn's screwed my life to hell but I'm gradually digging myself out.

Crohn's disease is difficult to diagnose based on symptoms alone (as they are non-specific) but it is distinct in its presentation upon gross examination. The thing about Crohn's is that it presents with something called "skip lesions", where you can have an affected area anywhere along your GI tract (from your esophagus to you rectum) then an unaffected area and then another affected area. This is one of the key characteristics that distinguish it from ulcerative colitis. Also, in Crohn's disease, all the layers of the GI tract are affected, whereas ulcerative colitis only affects the mucosa and submucosa. Also, ulcerative colitis ALWAYS involves the colon; Crohn's does not have to.

There are other characteristics that are unique to Crohn's as well, such as development of fistulas (which is due to the involvement of all the layers of the GI tract). Blood tests can also point towards it but are not specific for it.

Either way, to get a definitive diagnosis, you're going to have a colonoscopy or an enema performed.

Medication usually involves steroids, since Crohn's is an inflammatory disease.

Bombadil

Banned
My cousin has it. Terrible disease. Two surgeries in 5 years to remove about 30cm of intestine total and she's on Remicade infusions now. Every 2 months for the rest of her life. Seems to work well at keeping it in remission. Expensive as hell so better hope your insurance covers it.

She is terribly thin and special diet and all since obviously a lot of foods can worsen the condition. She drinks a lot of Ensure.

I hope she remains well, dude.

My g/f has it. She's had a really bad flare-up the last year. Week long stay in the hospital at one point.

I won't pretend to know how she feels all the time. But she has to be really careful about what she eats. Sometimes I think she gets bothered by the meds she has to take more than the Crohn's itself; she has to take steroids, gets all puffy faced and that impacts her self-confidence.

I don't think it's a fun disease to have (but then again, what disease is?), but I do think it's manageable. And depending on where it's located, surgery is a possible solution - to have the inflamed portion of the intestine removed (a caveat being that removal and location also determines if an ostomy-bag would be required).

I've read some terrible things about those meds. Some of the side effects of those meds mimic the symptoms of Crohn's, so it seems like a hopeless situation. What's most bothersome for me to accept is how it can start in someone's 20s with them never having any previous problems with food.

I've had Crohns Disease since I was 9, I'm now 22. It's been a really tough ride at times, I've even had to have a colostomy. I hope you don't have it, but if you do and need to talk it out with someone feel free to PM me.

Thank you, man. I just feel really hopeless at times. When my mom comes home from work I just break down and hug her and she gets upset because I shouldn't feel this way now without knowing what's wrong.

For the most part I am in remission. The colonoscopy I had today was to see if there was any inflammation, and so that my doctor can regulate my meds to better suit my particular condition. I still have slight inflammation of my small intestine, but no polyps at all! I'll have a follow up visit with my doctor in a couple of weeks.

Crohn's hit me when I was in highschool, my grades plummeted because I just could not concentrate when I'm basically fighting for my life. I was sick off and on during the first 8 years, trying different meds out and different diets. I was sick when I moved into my dorm room for college, thought I could fight it and make it work.. 2.5 years later I had to drop out so I could focus on my health. Now I can't afford to go back to school and I'm currently welding for shit pay and at a shit factory. But I have my health, and that's all that really matters.

tl;dr Crohn's screwed my life to hell but I'm gradually digging myself out.

I'm sorry man. It really sucks that it happened but I'm glad you're doing well now. My mother always says that a person can be the richest man in the world but if he doesn't have his health, he has nothing. And I never fully appreciated those words until a few weeks ago. And then I started thinking about Steve Jobs and I got even more depressed.

The worst thing is that where I live has greatly affected how I feel about it. If I were living in Canada or France, I'd say, "Alright, let's get better." I'm in the US without any insurance so I'm praying to god for help.

Fuck. I'm Canadian and when I hear about things like this, it makes me extremely angry. I wish I had some advice but I have no idea how the stupid medical system works down there. It's hard enough dealing with this stuff even with drugs and surgery paid for, nobody deserves this shit. Hopefully you'll be in the clear... your symptoms are mild compared to what mine were when I was diagnosed with colitis, could be a good sign.

I have Ulcerative Colitis. Thankfully being kept under control now thanks to daily tablets, but it was awful when I was hospitalised and diagnosed. Literally nothing stays down - food or water - and I was too weak to even leave bed.

What I learned though from talking to doctors and fellow sufferers whilst going back to the hospital for checkups, is that Chron's Disease and Colitis are a lot more wiidespread than you would think.

Kurtofan

I have Crohn's, it was bad for a while(I had a terrible year in high school, which lead to a ten days hospitalization), but with the right treatment I'm fine now.I have to avoid some types of foods though, especially spicy things, some vegetables and fruits.

I'm on Remicade, it's not too inconvenient (you go to the hospital once every two months to get a transfusion).

It was weird when I was announced I had Crohn's, I'd never heard of it before.I had a colonoscopy because of my constant stomach pains and diarrhea , which I thought was overkill and the doctors would say it's nothing and bam, I have this disease I'd never heard before.

When I was hospitalized the doctors weren't sure if I needed a surgery or if the remicade would be enough, thankfully they decided the remicade is fine, and now my ileum is stable, though I still get pains now and then.

I've read some terrible things about those meds. Some of the side effects of those meds mimic the symptoms of Crohn's, so it seems like a hopeless situation. What's most bothersome for me to accept is how it can start in someone's 20s with them never having any previous problems with food.

I do have some advice here. Be wary of what you read on the internet about these meds, or any surgeries or treatments or whatever... people with bad experiences go online to talk about them, ask for advice, and... well, complain. People with good experiences are just out there living their lives, you won't hear from them as often. So you get a distorted idea of what to expect... an overabundance of scary stories. There's plenty of different medications now and a lot of people will eventually find a drug, or a combination, that works wonders. It's not anything close to a "hopeless situation".

Bombadil

Banned
I have Crohn's, it was bad for a while(I had a terrible year in high school, which lead to a ten days hospitalization), but with the right treatment I'm fine now.I have to avoid some types of foods though, especially spicy things, some vegetables and fruits.

I'm on Remicade, it's not too inconvenient (you go to the hospital once every two months to get a transfusion).

It was weird when I was announced I had Crohn's, I'd never heard of it before.I had a colonoscopy because of my constant stomach pains and diarrhea , which I thought was overkill and the doctors would say it's nothing and bam, I have this disease I'd never heard before.

When I was hospitalized the doctors weren't sure if I needed a surgery or if the remicade would be enough, thankfully they decided the remicade is fine, and now my ileum is stable, though I still get pains now and then.

Did they catch it early, then? I've read stories of people who ignored the pain for years before going to a doctor.

"Current thinking" is that it's an autoimmune disorder. You get a bacterial infection and your body overreacts and starts attacking the intestinal tissue, causing inflammation. And then from that point on the body attacks everything coming into the intestines, including food. It just seems so weird to me that something like that would start in young adulthood. One would think it would happen much earlier.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I was diagnosed about 8 years ago, tried everything from medications to Chinese herbal tea medicines. Nothing worked, kept getting worse.

Eventually had to take a semester of school off because I was too ill to attend. Went and had surgery during that semester and removed a foot of my small intestines.

Been on remicade for 3 and a 1/2 years now and generally live close to what a normal life is. Because the remicade kills your immune system, I'm sick more often than others and a cold knocks me out for 1-2 weeks completely. But otherwise life is good and I can eat most things, play sports, enjoy life. I had a bad intestinal infection early in 2012 from anti-biotics I was taking for a cold, that messed my intestines up for about 5 months, but now I know to be really careful about anti-biotics.

It's not the end of the world, and modern treatment is pretty good, but it's definitely something you always have to be careful about.

winter

I'm surprised your doctor didn't give you or at least tell you to take probiotics. Especially after she gave you antibiotics, which will wipe out your gut flora and result in even worse digestive issues.

Also, you might want to stop eating garbage processed foods. I'd be surprised if I didn't get diarrhea from Johnny Rockets. A can of soup isn't much better. I'd experiment with a Paleo diet to see if the issue gets better, or at the very least cut back on your sugar intake and eat some vegetables for fiber to harden your stool.

Lastly, I'd keep a food diary to see if certain foods are triggering the issue. You may have a gluten or wheat allergy if soup and hamburgers make you ill.

Kurtofan

Did they catch it early, then? I've read stories of people who ignored the pain for years before going to a doctor.

"Current thinking" is that it's an autoimmune disorder. You get a bacterial infection and your body overreacts and starts attacking the intestinal tissue, causing inflammation. And then from that point on the body attacks everything coming into the intestines, including food. It just seems so weird to me that something like that would start in young adulthood. One would think it would happen much earlier.

I was 16 when I was diagnosed, but I always had had stomach pains in my childhood, but it wasn't that bad until later.

Actually most people get diagnosed late teens-early adulthood, that's what my doctor said,IIRC.

It's also a first-world disease mainly, which is pretty interesting, though I have no idea what it implies.

Been on remicade for 3 and a 1/2 years now and generally live close to what a normal life is. Because the remicade kills your immune system, I'm sick more often than others and a cold knocks me out for 1-2 weeks completely. But otherwise life is good and I can eat most things, play sports, enjoy life. I had a bad intestinal infection early in 2012 from anti-biotics I was taking for a cold, that messed my intestines up for about 5 months, but now I know to be really careful about anti-biotics.

Oh yeah, avoid antibiotics if it's not strictly necessary, I catch a lot more shit since I'm on remicade, mostly annoying stuff though, nothing life threatening.

Also flu shots are important, I never took them before but now I don't want to risk it.

Bombadil

Banned
I'm surprised your doctor didn't give you or at least tell you to take probiotics. Especially after she gave you antibiotics, which will wipe out your gut flora and result in even worse digestive issues.

Also, you might want to stop eating garbage processed foods. I'd be surprised if I didn't get diarrhea from Johnny Rockets. A can of soup isn't much better. I'd experiment with a Paleo diet to see if the issue gets better, or at the very least cut back on your sugar intake and eat some vegetables for fiber to harden your stool.

Lastly, I'd keep a food diary to see if certain foods are triggering the issue. You may have a gluten or wheat allergy if soup and hamburgers make you ill.

The doctor told me to eat yogurt twice a day and I do. It has the live cultures and what not.

I haven't eaten outside food since I got ill. The can of soup you're referring to was homemade potato and leek soup. I'm definitely going to experiment with the paleo diet because I agree with the logic behind it. I've been eating vegetables every day this week. I'm not entirely sure about the gluten and wheat allergy thing. I'll ask about celiac disease later. Today I called my mother and told her my thoughts on appendicitis, and she was very surprised that she hadn't thought of it before and told me that she'd take me to a hospital today. I later told her not to get so excited about it (excited in a relieved sort of way) because I still think it's probably not it. Appendicitis is very acute, and is characterized by very sharp, increasing pains.

And I haven't eaten any sweets, as per the doctor's directions. I haven't even had a banana.

I was 16 when I was diagnosed, but I always had had stomach pains in my childhood, but it wasn't that bad until later.

Actually most people get diagnosed late teens-early adulthood, that's what my doctor said,IIRC.

It's also a first-world disease mainly, which is pretty interesting, though I have no idea what it implies.

I've had stomach pains before, too, just never bad enough to merit a hospital visit. I'm 22 so I'm right at the age range for Crohn's. I'm really hoping it's not it, but if I have the support of Gaf behind me, then I think I can cope with it. It sucks because it's currently the coldest winter in California in 18 years and I can't cope with it. I'm very depressed and I can't think straight.

It sucks remicade is so damn expensive. My cousin got lucky having it covered by her dads insurance but then she became of age where she was taken off his plan. Her own work insurance wouldn't cover it. Now getting government assistance through Trillium (Canada) and pays for almost all of it at around 90%. I think she's actually in the process of somehow getting it paid for 100% through them.

I can't imagine how the uninsured who don't have access to such assistance can afford the drug. It's like $2000 or $3000 each infusion. That's every two months. Easily over $10,000 a year. Yikes. Sucks because it seems like one of the best treatments for the disease. I don't know if Remicade was around when she first got diagnosed about 10 years ago and was put steroids and eventually had surgeries to remove piece of intestines but thankfully now she's found something that seems to be working for now. After her first surgery she went into remission for about 5 years. Then had to get another surgery in which after she was put on Remicade. Been about a two years now on it and okay so far.

Smaug

Banned
I have what is classified as severe Crohns disease. In 2009 I had 60 percent of my colon and large intestines removed. Currently on Imuran (Immunosupressant) and in "remission". The only advice I can give you is go to the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. They basically saved my life. If you ever have to have surgery go to Cleveland. You get only one chance to have this done correctly. Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help and good luck.

Kurtofan

It sucks remicade is so damn expensive. My cousin got lucky having it covered by her dads insurance but then she became of age where she was taken off his plan. Her own work insurance wouldn't cover it. Now getting government assistance through Trillium (Canada) and pays for almost all of it at around 90%. I think she's actually in the process of somehow getting it paid for 100% through them.

I can't imagine how the uninsured who don't have access to such assistance can afford the drug. It's like $2000 or $3000 each infusion. That's every two months. Easily over $10,000 a year. Yikes.

Wow man that really sucks, honestly I have no idea how I would pay for my treatment if Crohn's disease wasn't covered 100% by social security here (France).I feel very grateful at times like this.

Bombadil

Banned
Wow man that really sucks, honestly I have no idea how I would pay for my treatment if Crohn's disease wasn't covered 100% by social security here (France).I feel very grateful at times like this.

I used to think USA was the greatest country in the world. I was ten or something, didn't know better. I'm surprised this country has managed to last so long while having a complete and utter contempt for its own people.

I was watching a documentary called Sicko by Michael Moore, and regardless of how you feel about Moore's ethics, there was a part in that film that really drove it home for me. An old Canadian man was being interviewed by Moore and he expressed a lot of compassion for people by saying that it was unheard of for Canadians to deny people healthcare, and that it was not something he could imagine debating.

I've had daily nausea since the summer. Every single day is a struggle with my nausea getting worse by the time I go to sleep. Seems like everything I eat makes me sick with a toxic feeling and I even began getting really loud ringing in my ears. I haven't vomited at all, but feel sick enough like I'm just about to all the time. I've gone to the GI many times having an endoscopy done and had all these blood tests and what not to still not even come close to what the fuck I have. Shit is horrible.

verbum

C. difficile intestinal infections can last several months and Flagyl (Which you are taking) make not be effective if the C. difficile is resistant.
Did you get tested for C. difficile?

Bombadil

Banned
I've had daily nausea since the summer. Every single day is a struggle with my nausea getting worse by the time I go to sleep. Seems like everything I eat makes me sick with a toxic feeling and I even began getting really loud ringing in my ears. I haven't vomited at all, but feel sick enough like I'm just about to all the time. I've gone to the GI many times having an endoscopy done and had all these blood tests and what not to still not even come close to what the fuck I have. Shit is horrible.

Get a stool test done if you can, and a breath test. Try prilosec. It might be severe heartburn that feels like nausea. If not, then keep a food diary. Do you feel abdominal pain at all? Also, you said you already have blood tests, but is it possible you're missing out on some key vitamin?

C. difficile intestinal infections can last several months and Flagyl (Which you are taking) make not be effective if the C. difficile is resistant.
Did you get tested for C. difficile?

I'll definitely bring it up, but the doctor told me she didn't trust stool tests. They can cost 2000 bucks without insurance. I'm willing to pay, but I'm hesitant because my doctors are cynical.

Get a stool test done if you can, and a breath test. Try prilosec. It might be severe heartburn that feels like nausea. If not, then keep a food diary. Do you feel abdominal pain at all? Also, you said you already have blood tests, but is it possible you're missing out on some key vitamin?

I'll definitely bring it up, but the doctor told me she didn't trust stool tests. They can cost 2000 bucks without insurance. I'm willing to pay, but I'm hesitant because my doctors are cynical.

I had stool tests done and nothing came up. Also, I took omezaprole/prilosec for my GERD for about 10 years before this and now I can't take them anymore because they make me way more nauseous. I can't have straight up milk or yogurt or anything acidic really since its like a time bomb for my body. Shit really sucks especially when I have a serious problem with what how much food I should eat (always been a really fast and over-eater despite being really skinny).

Stat!

I've had Crohn's since I was 8 (I'm 20 now, and it'll be 13 years come April) Been on remicade since I was 9 (was one of the first in Canada/first kids AFAIK). I've taken all sorts of medication but the only consistent one (I'm 20) is remicade. I currently get infusions of remicade every 6-7 weeks. That is the only time I have Crohn's on my mind. This is a huge step up from 10 years ago when I had what looked like a thesis paper on what I could and could not eat.

I've even tried some of the "alternative" things when I was young because nothing was working.

I was diagnosed with a pretty severe case. Surgery wasn't an option for me, and at one point (from 13-17), I was going months with throwing up any food.

So, in reality.

8-17: Awful experiences with Crohn's with extreme pain and vomiting.
18-21: Great

The best time to get Crohn's is as an adult because you've gone through puberty and all that BS. It's extremely livable. Most people who don't have severe cases of Crohn's can get surgery which will cause Crohn's to either disapper or resurface every 5 years.

verbum

She may be trying the Flagyl for 14-21 days and may switch to oral vancomycin if the Flagyl doesn't work. Oral vancomycin is pretty expensive since it is not used much.
So lets give the Flagyl a chance for three weeks and see how the symptoms go.
I worked with an allergist who got C. difficile in Mexico. He took Flagyl for 3 weeks and then was on the oral vancomycin and the symptoms disappeared after a week of the vancomycin.

I work with kids and I feel so sad for the ones with Crohns. Can you imagine trying to go to middle school and have to make it to the bathroom or your pants get stained? Most end up home schooling.

jimi_dini

Nope. Doesn't have to be that way. This would be the case for ulcerative colitis. Because that one starts at end of colon and then goes that way up.

Crohn's on the other hand may be anywhere. Start of colon. End of colon. Stomach. Small Intestine. May also be in multiple places. UC on the other hand is colon only.

Current knowledge about Ulcerative Colitis is that it's actually caused by a defect in the colon mucosa (phosphatidylcholine levels are lower compared to healthy people). This defect lets bacteria in for a few millimeters (where they should never be). Which then causes inflamation - which is totally normal in such situation. But the body can't get rid of those bacteria of course, so the inflamation goes on and on and gets worse and worse.

For Crohn's it may actually be sort of like this as well, both diseases are similar, so it would make sense. But nothing official on that yet.

At least for Crohn's Remicade works normally for a long time in comparison to ulcerative colitis (which is also only needed in worst cases anyway).

My personal bet is that UC and I guess Crohn's as well are caused by some crap in the food. Because 10-15 years ago it normally affected people age 30 up and in Asia it never (or almost never) occured. This changed and nowadays even children age 8 get it.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
I've had Crohn's since I was around 7 years old. 25 now. Luckily I've never needed any surgeries but there were some really rough times where I had to be hospitalized for 3-5 days at a time, sometimes needing blood transfusions because of severe anemia. Missed over 200 days in high school. I'm not on medicine right now because insurance won't cover it because I got new insurance through a new job and they have a pre-existing condition clause. I'm not really having too many problems right now though, thankfully. However, I have a tendency to start to kinda block out pains and imagine them as less severe in my mind because I get so used to them over time. It's probably happening now, I'm starting to notice more pangs and cramps each day now. Knowing my luck I'll have to be hospitalized because of it a week before the time limit on the pre-existing clause is up. My last hospitalization was in early 2011.

Hope you don't have Crohn's. It sucks.

Talk to your doctor about getting a CT scan and a colonoscopy and endoscopy?

Bombadil

Banned
Fuck. I just did something really stupid. I wasn't thinking. I was taking my dose of flagyl and I accidently took two pills instead of one. I was supposed to take the other one after my dinner.

I had stool tests done and nothing came up. Also, I took omezaprole/prilosec for my GERD for about 10 years before this and now I can't take them anymore because they make me way more nauseous. I can't have straight up milk or yogurt or anything acidic really since its like a time bomb for my body. Shit really sucks especially when I have a serious problem with what how much food I should eat (always been a really fast and over-eater despite being really skinny).

That sounds horrible. I don't know what to say. Are you on any long-term nausea medication? You should probably give it a try if not. If there's nothing wrong with your intestines and they can't find anything wrong physically, maybe it's a neurological wiring issue, where your brain keeps telling your gastrointestinal nerves to throw up. Sounds far-fetched, though. Try eating slowly. Take many bites and don't talk while you eat because pockets of air get trapped between food and this creates digestive difficulties.

Nope. Doesn't have to be that way. This would be the case for ulcerative colitis. Because that one starts at end of colon and then goes that way up.

Crohn's on the other hand may be anywhere. Start of colon. End of colon. Stomach. Small Intestine. May also be in multiple places. UC on the other hand is colon only.

That's true, but my symptoms seem so mild compared to what I read from Crohn's sufferers. They always describe horrendous abdominal pains that leads them to the hospital. I guess it's because I'm just reading from the small subset of sufferer's who had symptoms so bad that they wanted to share it on the internet.

I've had Crohn's since I was around 7 years old. 25 now. Luckily I've never needed any surgeries but there were some really rough times where I had to be hospitalized for 3-5 days at a time, sometimes needing blood transfusions because of severe anemia. Missed over 200 days in high school. I'm not on medicine right now because insurance won't cover it because I got new insurance through a new job and they have a pre-existing condition clause. I'm not really having too many problems right now though, thankfully. However, I have a tendency to start to kinda block out pains and imagine them as less severe in my mind because I get so used to them over time. It's probably happening now, I'm starting to notice more pangs and cramps each day now. Knowing my luck I'll have to be hospitalized because of it a week before the time limit on the pre-existing clause is up. My last hospitalization was in early 2011.

Hope you don't have Crohn's. It sucks.

Talk to your doctor about getting a CT scan and a colonoscopy and endoscopy?

So, once the clause ends you can no longer get treatment for it? Or you have to wait for the clause to end before you can get coverage? That really sucks. I understand that the employer is trying to cover their backs but really these kinds of mechanisms are the result of a faulty healthcare system. I've spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on fast food and now I'd like nothing more than to have spent that money where it matters, healthcare. And it doesn't even have to be mine. I'd love nothing more than to pay a large portion of my income in taxes if everyone in the country could get good healthcare.

My doctor told me that if my symtoms didn't improve after taking the antibiotic then she might schedule a colonoscopy. The thing is, my symptoms did improve somewhat. I've had shaky days since, but I'm noticing a gradual improvement. Perhaps I do have some kind of infection and the antibiotic helped a little. She only prescribed it for 7 days but at three doses a day I guess that's a lot. I guess other doctors stretch out the same amount for 21 days. Unfortunately, I swallowed two pills just now because I wasn't thinking, I was just acting. This might bite me in the ass.

She may be trying the Flagyl for 14-21 days and may switch to oral vancomycin if the Flagyl doesn't work. Oral vancomycin is pretty expensive since it is not used much.
So lets give the Flagyl a chance for three weeks and see how the symptoms go.
I worked with an allergist who got C. difficile in Mexico. He took Flagyl for 3 weeks and then was on the oral vancomycin and the symptoms disappeared after a week of the vancomycin.

I work with kids and I feel so sad for the ones with Crohns. Can you imagine trying to go to middle school and have to make it to the bathroom or your pants get stained? Most end up home schooling.

I'll definitely bring it up then. My fear is that if the metronidazole failed (somewhat) then the bacteria will have developed a resistance and gotten stronger, which would make other antibiotics futile.

Life for a child is hard enough without suffering from this kind of sickness. I was reading a forum made up entirely of people with abdominal diseases and one of them mentioned that Senator Harry Reid submitted a bill dedicated to Crohn's awareness and research. This was two years ago according to the thread date, and I'm hoping by now the bill has passed. It sucks that so many diseases could be treated far better than they are if there was enough research funding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom