• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here try juicing? How'd it go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, not the steroids kind, the one consisting of whole meals with veggies and fruits.

I'm not looking to do it for a week or two to "detox" or anything like that. Also, not interested in weight-loss at all. (In fact, I'd like to maintain if not gain more.) Mostly curious about doing it daily, long-term for heart-health and just generally feeling better overall. It just seems like it'd be an easy way to up the vegetable intake.

I know some people who juice stress that you can only consume juice and nothing else ever, but I'm not convinced that that's sustainable. I think I'd rather do it as a supplement to a diet that still contains solid foods.

Anyone give this a go? How'd it work out?

Seesaw15

My mom was a health nut growing up so I juiced everyday up until I went away for college.Usually once in the morning and once at night with meals. I kind of took the benefits for granted growing up but for the four years I was away I really felt its absence( lower energy, skin and hair got kind of bad, etc) Obviously its not a wonder drug and taking vitamins would probably have the same benefits but juicing is just more fun in my opinion.

If you're taking recommendations for what type of juicer to buy I'd recommend a Champion series juicer. Had the same one for 20 years and use it daily. Just really well made machine.
champion-juicers.jpeg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah consuming a lot of sugar and stripping vegetables and fruits of all their fiber (which regulates the surge of sugar into you) is a great idea. /s

It's pretty horrible. Eat real food.

Daedardus

Yeah consuming a lot of sugar and stripping vegetables and fruits of all their fiber (which regulates the surge of sugar into you) is a great idea. /s

He wants to do it as a side to eating normally, can't see what's completely bad about that. He could just eat the fruit in it's normal way, but juices can be more tasteful because of the mixing.

Seesaw15

In an ideal world but OP feels like s/he not getting enough fruits or vegetables in their diet. Don't use 100% fruit, usually 80% veggies and 20% fruit for flavor, and use the excess pulp for cooking/baking.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
In an ideal world but OP feels like s/he not getting enough fruits or vegetables in their diet. Don't use 100% fruit, usually 80% veggies and 20% fruit for flavor, and use the excess pulp for cooking/baking.
Sure, just coming in hard first. Cleaning the juicer isn't great either.

OP I'd suggest some pretty easy snacks that use vegetables if you don't think you are getting enough.
Baby carrots + whatever
Diced Cucumber/Tomato with oil/vinegar
Broccoli + whatever
He wants to do it as a side to eating normally, can't see what's completely bad about that. He could just eat the fruit in it's normal way, but juices can be more tasteful because of the mixing.
We can start the fruit juice is bad derail anytime! :D

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
So like regular smoothies and blends. That shit is not 'juicing'.
There are a ton of smoothies recopies on the internet.

I mean, shit it was mentioned in Enemy of the State

Just don't get into the cultish fads and stuff.

Get a good blender, I know Vitamix is standard for chefs and amateurs alike, but I'm pretty sure you can get similar products.

DOWN

Banned
OP, I think you mean smoothies. Blending fruits and veggies (mostly veggies) is fine. Juicing via press or squeeze just gives you the sugar water and no fiber.

I just buy these sometimes because I'm lazy (Botlhouse are my fav)
bolthouse-farms-coupon-walmart-deal-300x278.png

Br9wTGQCAAAJ3Gb.jpg

Madness

It depends on how you juice the vegetables and fruits. If you remove the skins, the pulp, just have straight juice, you miss a lot of the fiber, carbs and vitamins inherent in the vegetables or fruits.

Make sure you get a quality juicer, and also look into some good recipes that utilize a variety of veggies and fruits. Additionally adding things like protein powders can also help give you greater health benefits. I have a friend who when I go to her house sometimes she's made me like blueberry, kale, and pineapple smoothies with a little unflavored protein powder etc.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
OP, I think you mean smoothies. Blending fruits and veggies (mostly veggies) is fine. Juicing just gives you the sugar water and no fiber.

I just buy these sometimes because I'm lazy

eh, those are overpriced and lack the necessary fiber. They go a ways in health washing with organic and no gmo labels but a lot is just reconstituted from concentrate.

you can keep berries and stuff in the freezer for a longer shelf life.

Greddleok

What's the benefit of juice over whole foods? Feels like you'd just go hungry, while you could easily just eat the friuts/veg as part of a meal or snack.

From google: "Blending is the process of thoroughly blending whole fruits and vegetables into a smoothie (typically a green smoothie). Green smoothies are made in blenders. Juicing is the process of extracting the liquid content of whole foods through a special juicing machine. The fiber is then discarded."

Team blending right here

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
OP, I think you mean smoothies. Blending fruits and veggies (mostly veggies) is fine. Juicing via press or squeeze just gives you the sugar water and no fiber.

I just buy these sometimes because I'm lazy (Botlhouse are my fav)

Br9wTGQCAAAJ3Gb.jpg
I mean it's still almost entirely 38g of pear/apple juice sugars. I have some here and there, but it is a treat and not healthy.

Arondight

I used to do it with carrot/apples for a while, It's really nice to drink but I got too lazy cleaning up the machines. I from time to time just get a blender, throw in apples, raspberries, celery, a bit of water and drink.

DOWN

Banned
eh, those are overpriced and lack the necessary fiber. They go a ways in health washing with organic and no gmo labels but a lot is just reconstituted from concentrate.

you can keep berries and stuff in the freezer for a longer shelf life.

I mean it's still almost entirely 38g of pear/apple juice sugars. I have some here and there, but it is a treat and not healthy.
? Botlhouse smoothies are pretty much veggies and fruits blended. They keep most of the fiber this way as well. It isn't just juice. Like any fruit consumption, there's sugar, but the smoothies aren't much different to how you would monitor your intake from getting the fruit yourself. Just don't be drinking multiple per day or something. There's only so much room for sugary fruit, but you don't have to avoid it and that's not all that's in Bolthouse.

Naked on the other hand tends to be more juice based and less fibrous.

Pluto

That's why I make smoothies instead, just as tasty but all the fiber is still in there.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
? Botlhouse smoothies are pretty much veggies and fruits blended. They keep most of the fiber this way as well. It isn't just juice. Like any fruit consumption, there's sugar, but the smoothies aren't much different to how you would monitor your intake from getting the fruit yourself. Just don't be drinking multiple per day or something. There's only so much room for sugary fruit, but you don't have to avoid it and that's not all that's in Bolthouse.

Naked on the other hand tends to be more juice based and less fibrous.
I've had both the green and the carrot/mango ones and read labels on the others before. I even looked before I posted too. I just checked again and all 5 ones I checked (including smoothies) are awful with 18-30g of sugar per 8oz. serving and 0-3g of fiber.
Unless it's something else and I'm not looking in the right place.

e.g.
7lXCrm3.png

I was inadvertently using juicing and blending interchangeably. But yeah, I definitely wanna consume the pulp. Even if you juice though, you can just mix the fiber and pulp back in there.

I gave it a try for a while but really couldnt keep it up because of price and prep-time.

You wont believe how much fruit and veggies you will need to make enough drinks to last you a day, I was going to the supermarket twice a week to buy as much as I could and it wasnt enough, and there is so much fucking waste after each prep, it definitely wasnt for me.

i enjoy juicing. though only as a once in a while meal replacement if i'm feeling too full or bloated or something. or need a quick on the go "meal". i dont juice to diet or anything.

juices are usually delicious too.

a juice can tide me over from bfast till lunch or lunch till dinner, but i know people who cant fathom that and are starving after a juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom