• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone know if World of Warcraft will have a story?

Eric-GCA

Banned
Since most MMORPG's don't seem to have any sort of cohesive storyline to them, I'm curious as to whether this will hold true for Blizzards upcoming game?

Especially considering how darned open-ended the WCIII (and TFT) storyline was and how many loose-ends there are to the story. All I know about the game is it takes place four years after the events in the prior games. How can thousands of players in a vast ever-changing universe experience any type of cohesive storyline?

siege

Banned
From what little I've played, there seems to be alot of Warcraft lore and references from the previous games. So, yeah, there is a story there if you're willing to pursue it via quests and talking to various NPC's.

Blizzard might also have story arcs every few months that tie into everyones play experience - similar to that of Asheron's Call.

Eric-GCA

Banned
"Blizzard might also have story arcs every few months that tie into everyones play experience - similar to that of Asheron's Call."

How does that work exactly?

teepo

siege said:
Blizzard might also have story arcs every few months that tie into everyones play experience - similar to that of Asheron's Call.

the most underrated mmorpg ever :(

I haven't played the WC games, but there's quite some story to be experienced. In a way it's just like a regular RPG that everyone happens to be playing at once. You start out as a nobody running errands. Then as you go along you get "promoted" and the higher quest NPCs actually seem to acknowledge your contribution to the cause. There are several chains of quests and related quests that help form a cohesive storyline. Of course, ten minutes after you're proclaimed the saviour of Westfall after killing Van Cleef, someone else exits the mines and gets the same honour.

Also, usually a finished group of quests sends you on to somewhere else (although you could just go there yourself and trigger the next set of quests) so there is some continuity.

Top Bottom