• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone played red dead on PSNow or have any impressions on PSNow generally?

cormack12

Gold Member
Brother never got to play this and he wants to run through before rdr2 drops. I have a PS3 and he can probably pick a disc up from somewhere but he is considering PSNow. There's like a thread from a while back with not much real info. Wondering if anyone has played it recently using PSNow

PSN in general is pretty bad. The input lag is way too high and it frequently drops resolution. I know it doesn't have anything to do with my connection. I use Gamestream from my Nvidia Shield and it's a night and day difference.

Give him your PS3. PSN and PSNow are horrible, and I'm running fiber to the premises. Choppy/stuttering play, frequent drops in resolution...it's not worth the headache.

Or better yet, hook him up with a XBO:S or XBO:X and a used 360 copy--the backwards compatibility improvements are very striking, and the game never dips below 30fps.

Streaming the PS3 version of RDR doesn't seem like that great of an idea to me as that version of the game is already really low res and blurry.

Playing it directly on a PS3 would be a better option than via PSNow but I'd personally recommend that he finds an ultra cheap Xbox 360 and to play it on that. The PS3 version was a bit of a vaseline smear compared to the Xbox version (I own a copy for both platforms). On PS3 it runs at a lower res and uses the post-process quincunx form of anti-aliasing. The Xbox 360 version was clearly the primary development platform as it looks significantly better.

It's also backwards compatible on the Xbone if he has access to one. That's the optimal way to play it at the moment (at least until the PS3 or Xbox 360 emulators improve on the PC). It still saddens me that Rockstar never released RDR on PC.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

I use ps now regularly and haven't had a single issue.

For the most part it's exactly the same as playing on a ps3.

The only time I ever noticed input lag or resolution drops was during the beta on killzone 2

cormack12

Gold Member
Thanks for the replies. I may just give him the PS3 he was also looking at the other games from PSNow. Looks like I might see if there is a free trial or summat to gauge the performance.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If u have a ps3 give him that, however with an xbox one he will be able to play modern games and rdr2 as well.

Last edited:

HBP

Red Dead is $5 at Gamestop and part of the 4 for $10 promo, I just picked it up again for my PS3 Slim.

Sosokrates

Also take into account the ps3 version had worse framerate and IQ was considerably worse then the 360 version and its now even better on X1 and even better on 1X.

Last edited:

Leonidas

PSNow is a terrible experience on my internet connection, this is one of the reasons why I prefer backwards compatibility over streaming.

ElDuderino

Give him your PS3. PSN and PSNow are horrible, and I'm running fiber to the premises. Choppy/stuttering play, frequent drops in resolution...it's not worth the headache.

Or better yet, hook him up with a XBO:S or XBO:X and a used 360 copy--the backwards compatibility improvements are very striking, and the game never dips below 30fps.

What speed have you got from your provider? I know people who have 3Mbps connections off of fiber.

I got a dumb question, but are Read Deads servers still up? Can you still play RDR MP on 1X?

lasthed

Neo Member
if you do live in europe psnow is great, played through god of war recently.
input lag is noticeable but negligible

pipedream

Neo Member
I've definitely enjoyed PSNow- particularly in situations where I'm traveling and I don't have access to my console. From what I've seen the user experience really varies pretty wildly, depending on what you're internet service is, where you are located geographically, and whether you are wired or wireless. On a wired connection with highspeed net access, there is definitely lag, but it was never game breaking for me. I've played Red Dead over PSNow, and I didn't have any major issues playing it. The one point I would agree with everyone is that graphically it does kind of suffer. There is no question PSNow is inferior to playing a game direct on disc or local storage, but if that isn't available- PSnow is fine for casual playing. I played The Last of Us over streaming start to finish and had a great time.

grumpyGamer

personally i try tu run away from that type of services because i really apreciate fluidity, but if you have a good provider and no problem in a few lag, more power to you.

wipeout364

It depends a lot on your connection which can be variable. I was playing Resident Evil : Umbrella Chronicles ( Don’t Judge) last night in 4 player multiplayer and image quality was excellent as was playablility. That said I have had the opposite experience but overall the service is much better than when it launched. I would recommend getting a month to try it out at the specific place you are going to use it to see if it works for you.

I will say I have not had good luck with the PC client it is very unstable for me and by unstable I mean getting it to work, when it does work it’s fine. It is very finicky about connecting to the service for some reason.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
It's honestly a horrible service in every way. Overpriced, lack of selection, and poor quality. I'm not sure why we can't just pay a small fee to download each game individually and play them like normal...

Sosokrates

Yes, multiplayer is still available but no one really is playing save for die-hards with zero patience for noobs, unfortunately.

Oh, It must of been because my live ran out.
But what your saying about only diehards being on the 360 version is untrue, because of X1 BC the 360 version will be the most popular version by far and im playing online free roam now and just killed a couple of ppl with ease.

sunnz

If it was like £7 a month and all games come free to play ( netflix) it would be worth it, even though the game list is not that great.

Current pricing strategy is bad.

Lilseb93

PS Now was rough for me. There was a couple of times where it ran very well, but other times it was terrible. My mixed experience with it wasn't worth the money.

TheMikado

Banned
I’m in my third year of PS now sub. At $99 a year it’s well worth it for me. The JRPG collection alone makes it cost effective for me and my family.

Rellik

It's such a shame because I have the urge to play RDR again, but there's no real way to play it on my PS4. I can't take input lag and when I test PS Now in the past, it barely worked despite being on fibre and wired.

Seeing the likes of RDR and the skate series on BC on the Xbox is probably what's going to make me grab one again at some point.

Nardz937

Neo Member
I find PSNow to be disappointing. It's too pricey for a limited library (mostly consisting of PS3 titles). I also wish you could download the games so you don't have to suffer with streaming them.

Last edited:

GotrekNoFelix

Neo Member
My experience with PS-Now about half a year ago or so was pretty naff. I don't recall the input lag to be too dire but it was definitely noticeable with thumbstick waggling in Dead Rising: Off the Record being far harder than I recall from playing Dead Rising 2 directly off the console. Perhaps in a slower game like RdR which has very strong auto-locking on the shooting you might have a better experience.
Also after about an hour of reasonably solid play it became an absolutely unplayable mess but that's probably more down to your internet. The list of games was dismal too as I recall. Not worth the price.

Top Bottom