• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

teezzy

Banned
300: Every few years I rewatch this flick and every time I hope my memory fools me and I'll like it better this time around but... I just don't. This is such a weird movie for me. I remember being totally hyped after the trailers and paying extra attention to see it in English in cinema but being super bummed when I finally saw it. However, at the same time it's one of the most important movies of my life because it was one of the big reasons why I joined the gym. Funny enough, I'm not in the least impressed by the physices of the spartans in this movies these days. It's crazy how your own perception of what is "fit and buffed" changes once you go through it yourself. Anyway... the movie itself is well made artistically but the storytelling with the teller was never my thing and all the one-liners álways felt super forced to me. 6/10

Will watched Rise of the Empire today or tomorrow. Never seen that one. Wouldn't be surprised if I end up liking it more than this one.

I remember being 16 and seeing 300 in theaters. I just didn't get it. I was already well on my way to becoming an insufferable teenage film snob, and I thought Sin City was the bee's knees. All the other dudes in school were obsessed and, screaming "This is Sparta!!!" wasn't drenched in played-out irony like it is now; especially not among 16 year old boys in 2007. Shame too. But yeah, I remember being bewildered by the complete lack of character development, etc. , and couldn't fathom what everyone else loved that I couldn't pick up on. 13 years later, and I still feel that way about what a lot of my friends are into. I need characters I can sink my teeth into, even in action movies.

Oh well.

God Enel

Watched “the man standing next” last Saturday during the fantasy Filmfest.
What a great movie. I’m not that much into polit thrillers but this movie was another masterpiece from Korea. 10/10
the movie is about the assassination of the South Korean president. Set around 1970 the movie depicts the last 40 days of his presidency before he was assassinated.
Loved the soundtrack, great cinematography, superb acting by the whole cast.
Highly recommending this film.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Anyone else catch...

220px-The_Next_Three_Days_Poster.jpg

Best car chase in cinema history (though you need to watch it in context of the movie) and it has a pretty in your face conservative leaning that libs hate. Punches waaaaaay above it's weight.

Watched Terrifier on Netfilx. It's a bit rough around the edges but with a better budget a sequel or spinoff could be very good. The character of Art the Clown is amazing and could almost be iconic if he gets the proper attention and exposure.

Uncut Gems - man, Safdie Brothers movies are depressing and anxiety-inducing. Never a happy ending. This was a very stressful watch. And not really deserving of the praise it got in my opinion.

Ford vs Ferrari - fun to watch from beginning to end. Loved the dynamic between Damon and Bale. The racing scenes were fantastic.

Da 5 Bloods - Delroy Lindo will probably win Best Actor for this one. Really examines the trauma of black soldiers in Vietnam. Especially considering that they would go fight and come back to being second class citizens.

The Silence of the Lambs - finally got around to watching this one. Anthony Hopkins is mesmerizing. The way movies are shot and produced have come a long way. This movie shows its age. For some reason, action scenes in the 80s are so much smoother and more natural than the 90s.

Be Water - Bruce Lee doc that ESPN put out. I love martial arts and Bruce Lee is the father of MMA. I'll watch anything that details his life. So sad that he died so young. He would've had so much more to give and teach.

Grinchy

Banned
Uncut Gems - man, Safdie Brothers movies are depressing and anxiety-inducing. Never a happy ending. This was a very stressful watch. And not really deserving of the praise it got in my opinion.

Yeah when the credits were rolling, I wasn't even sure if I enjoyed it. It was like experiencing a mild anxiety attack for 2 hours :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I did really like it though. Surprisingly good movie even going in with all the hype.

The Babysitter.

Hmm not really sure what to think of it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Uncut Gems is excellent, good to see Sandler in a role like that (and nail it)

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
FK-PLAKAT-fascination.jpg

Light on plot. Heavy on surreal cinematography. Lots of naked women touching one another's naughty bits. Macabre thematics and some light philosophy about life and death.

Yeah, Fascination is a Jean Rollin film, alright.

teezzy

Banned
Much Ado About Nothing (Joss Whedon)

Excellent cast and I enjoyed the Shakespearean dialogue but the title really says it all about the plot.

3/10.

Haha yeah I saw this in a local theater when it dropped.

A bunch of other Whedon devotees were there, eating it up like candy. I left with a big "meh?"

Largely forgettable.

June

Latest films I've given 5/5:

(1958) The Lovers
(1981) Prince of the City
(1995) Clueless
(1998) Meet Joe Black
(1999) Cruel Intentions
(2001) Not Another Teen Movie

The Lovers is another Lous Mallie masterpeice. Sort of like the pre-cursor to The Graduate and contains one of the best romance sequences put to film.

Prince of the City another Sidney Lumet masterpeice. Sort of like Serpico but with a more nuanced insight into undercover work and inner-city corruption.

haDDcw9.png

bPMNQXD.png

ZAmDHQt.png

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Watched about half of one of the Peter Sellers Pink Panther movies. It was great and hilarious. Also watched the two Steve Martin reboots, which were pretty entertaining. At many points he really nailed the Peter Sellers silly accent but it wasn’t always super funny.

Still, a decent way to spend a Saturday afternoon on the couch

Watched about half of one of the Peter Sellers Pink Panther movies. It was great and hilarious. Also watched the two Steve Martin reboots, which were pretty entertaining. At many points he really nailed the Peter Sellers silly accent but it wasn’t always super funny.

Still, a decent way to spend a Saturday afternoon on the couch

You should watch A Shot in the Dark from beginning to end.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah Peter Sellers was a badass. i mostly know of him from Dr. Strangelove where he pulled off a comically evil villainous Teutonic evil scientist. i also know him from Beatles bootlegs, because he was friends with Ringo, who gave him an early mix of the White Album. there is a famous bootleg called The Peter Sellers tapes. he is also on some tapes from the Get Back sessions. dude was partying with rock stars.

3400.jpg

the movie i caught on TV was Revenge of the Pink Panther and when i turned it on it was doing some very Orientalist tropes (totally banned today ofc). many cases of Yellow Face in the movie, and topes featuring his driver/servant Cato, who in one long scene wears coke bottle glasses and runs into things. which is probably kind of racist and tropey but still very funny. like the actor is legit funny.

it is all heightened slapstick humor in technicolor w lots of silly voices and fall gags (like the later Austin Powers or Master of Disguise). this scene features a dominatrix because the joke is that Inspector Jacques Clouseau has died and in his absence Cato turned his apartment into a Chinese brothel.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
oh yeah i also saw Deathstalker but i was very tired and only caught some of it. a whole lot of nudity in this swords and sandals 80s epic. features Barbi Benton, one of the og Playmates, who was married to Hugh Hefner. watched it on Comet TV unfortunately so all the nudity was blurred out.

oh at one point the main villain is about to torture or do magic on some guy and he ends up transforming him into Barbi Benton. it's a disturbing scene lol. shitty movie over all if you aren't a fan of low budget fantasy. lots of scenes just ripping off Conan the Barbarian.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Watched Tag again tonight, I really enjoy that despite it being a modern comedy.

At the end they show the real crew of friends the movie was based on, and it's like a half dozen white dudes, makes me laugh that they just had to put Hannibal Buress in the 5 man group as a token, he's the only one that doesn't quite fit into the group chemistry IMO, some of his lines are literally just snippets from his standup material. Like nothing against the guy I do find some of his comedy funny, but it's funny that this movie based on real events couldn't get a green light without some colour thrown into the mix.

Bad Lieutenant (Nic Cage version) 9/10.

Well this was bloody excellent, apart from the last few minutes not sure what that was about but it was thoroughly entertaining and surprisingly gritty. Awesome performance by Cage. Anyone not seen this yet should seek it out, highly recommended. Was surprised to see it was by Werner Herzog, thought he only did morbid documentaries. He nailed it though. Def not a recreation of the Harvey Keitel original and all the better for it. (no full frontal nudity by Nicholas!)

Soundtrack was top notch.

I spotted Cunth too.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I just watched The Platform. It was interesting and mostly enjoyable but the ending confused me. The kid was meant to be the message? Is it because they were so strict about not allowing under 16s in? So when the kid gets to the top they realise there was a kid there? Did they not know? If not then how did the kid get in?

What difference would a kid make? They are quite happy to feed hundreds of people with only enough food to fit on a single table knowing it is not gonna make it past 50 levels? They let people piss/shit on each other, commit suicide, murder and turn into cannibals? If they let people do that then surely they're fucked up enough in the head to not care about a kid?

As Above So Below

I usually enjoy found footage movies. I re-watched this one for like the fifth time. I find it genuinely creepy and fun, especially with all of the weird esoteric stuff going on within. One of my favorites.

I need to rewatch it. Such a good movie.

Last edited:

Arkam

In the three days leading up to the release of Ghost of Tsushima with the last three films in my "samrai" bender. These three films were the "Samurai Trilogy" starring the great Toshiro Mifune. Its a brilliant odyssey of the Legendary swordsman Miyamoto Musashi. Itis one continuous story across the three films so definitely watch them (close to) at the same time as there are a half dozen characters to follow. All three films are great, but I really liked the first one the best. It was IMO the most visually striking and (now) reminds me the most of Ghost. The way that many scenes have exaggerated wind and smoke/fog swirling. They toned that stuff down in the later two. All in all 9/10 experience. Rivals watching Yojimbo and Sanjuro back to back.

iu

If you watch them back to back, there is a high likelihood you will be hearing a voice calling out "Takezō" for days after

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I just watched The Platform. It was interesting and mostly enjoyable but the ending confused me. The kid was meant to be the message? Is it because they were so strict about not allowing under 16s in? So when the kid gets to the top they realise there was a kid there? Did they not know? If not then how did the kid get in?

What difference would a kid make? They are quite happy to feed hundreds of people with only enough food to fit on a single table knowing it is not gonna make it past 50 levels? They let people piss/shit on each other, commit suicide, murder and turn into cannibals? If they let people do that then surely they're fucked up enough in the head to not care about a kid?

I think it’s one of those cheap make up your own ending things.

Nymphae

Banned
268x0w.png

Pretty damn good for what is essentially an extended episode of the show.

You say that like the show was nothing special. Best Batman property ever. That movie is fantastic.

I bought Dick Tracy and The Shadow on bluray this week, still waiting on Dick Tracy but watched The Shadow today, totally underappreciated imo

OgCASdh.jpg

Perfect background movie for me, I love art deco and early 20th century New York visuals, Alex Baldwin is absolutely perfectly cast as the raspy voiced millionaire playboy/crimefighter. Score is very reminiscent of a Batman score, for me everything works like a charm in this movie. It's maybe a hair duller than it could be in terms of action, but there are still a number of decent action scenes. I remember watching this as a kid and yawning, but it's really a great classic superhero flick I think, despite some cheese here and there.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I've recently seen The Invisible Man and it was a mediocre flick. For a movie dealing with the theme of turning invisible it lacked the surprise factor (outside of one scene - you know which one if you've seen it) and, most of all, lacked the scare factor. I will admit I liked the hospital "fight" and the explanation for the invisibility. But overall it's a pretty forgettable movie.

The Old Guard - I’m telling you. Netflix has the action movie formula down pat. Get an A-lister or two. Surround them with a solid supporting cast. Have a few great action sequences. Bam, instant hit. None of them have a crazy deep plot, but there’s enough there to make you want to learn more about the world and characters. They leave their movies open to sequels. I personally am hooked and will watch all of these. Take it for what it is and you’ll enjoy the hell out of them.

Palm Springs - Has a very interesting take on the whole Groundhog Day concept. A couple people keep reliving the same day over and over. I thought it had it’s funny moments. The main actors had great chemistry. I’ll go as far as to say this might make my top 10 list of 2020 by the end of the year. Definitely give it a watch.

Choke: A Rickson Gracie Documentary - I love BJJ and I cant believe I didn’t know of this doc until recently. It details Rickson’s journey to defending his Vale Tudo championship in Japan back in the 90s. A nice dive into his philosophies too. Rickson is arguably the greatest BJJ master in history and as a lover of the art and sport, it was nice to get a glimpse into his life.

Arkam

iu

Missed this one when it came out and the title always made me think it would be crap. So I went in with low expectations and had a great time. Was very similar to Payback in that Gibson plays another life criminal who can play an org/gang. Good action, interesting story though a bit too graphic with the torture.

Cutty Flam

Banned
How in the fuck did John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum receive such high praise on Rotten Tomatoes both critic and audience is what I want to know

I only saw like 20 minutes of the middle. It was entertaining, but it wasn't good lol. There was so much action in the parts that I saw, that even the dogs got like 60 kills in that one compound / hideout lmao

Top Bottom