Anyone seen any good movies lately?

Jul 14, 2018
Bernardo Bertolucci’s The Last Emperor

Been wanting to see this for a long long time, I have been listening recently to a series of podcasts covering the fall of the Qing Dynasty in China on Patreon.

I’m currently waiting on a third part of a three part series of history episodes to be released. Naturally my interest in this subject matter led me to autobiographical film The Last Emperor chronicling the life of Puyi, the last Emperor of the Qing Dynasty.

Unfortunately the film is out of print in the UK and the excellent Criterion Collection Blu Ray release is also out of print and a Region A locked disc. Thankfully I was able to track down an Italian print of the film on Blu Ray which has an English language and is reputedly struck from the master used by Criterion.

It was fascinating comparing the life of Puyi to the portrayal of him in the film, a lot of Puyi’s nastier traits are edited out of the film to make him a more palatable..
Bertolucci is a blind-spot for me but that's definitely one to throw on my to watch list. Music by David Byrne and Ryuichi Sakamoto :messenger_ok:

I see it was distributed by Colombia, who would have been headed by David Puttnam at the time. Me and a few others were supposed to interview him once but he pulled out at the last minute :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018
A Star is Born - 9/10
What a fantastic film. I really wasn't bothered about watching it as I really didn't think it would be my sort of film, however after making the missus watch First Man, it was her turn to choose. Great performances by all of the actors and I was actually gutted at the end. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be about at all and I'd glad I made the effort to watch it!

Sep 4, 2018
went to visit my dad in the mountains, so i had a hardcore r&r weekend full of over the air tv & movies:

Eliminators (1986) an Orion 80s b-movie, with a lead role by Denise Crosby who was Tasha Yar in season 1 of Star Trek: The Next Generation (she infamously and unfairly gets permanently killed off by a monster-of-the-week). this movie had a strong Big Trouble in Little China feel. the main baguy has this compound and he wants to go back in time and become the new Julius Ceaser w all his technology. there is a final battle where he has this Roman shield that can throw bolts of energy, it's so cool, just like a video game. i only saw the last half of this, when i tuned in, they were all camped out in the woods, her, a cyborg/Robocop/Terminator ripoff, and a karate dude who was doing most of the heavily lifting. a tiny toy robot comes out and starts shooting them w lazers and the karate dude slices it in half with a sword. it's that kind of movie!

The Nest (1988) this was maybe from the same people, another lo budget b-movie, this time w gross out gore. part Jaws and part The Fly, it is about a company who has leverage over the mayor of this beach community, and they are using his town to engineer super mutant cockroaches. lots of incredible Cronenberg-style gore and body horror in this. very cool. there is a scene where the evil scientist lady that invented the roaches is experimenting on a cat, and the result is a killer mutant cat with no skin, just covered in blood. awesome vintage trash for a lazy Sunday on the couch.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2015
I watched Open House which is probably one of the worst Netflix originals I’ve ever seen.

Everyone dies and you get no answers as to who killed them or why they killed them.

Sep 27, 2010
I watched Annihilation a few days ago. Wouldn't really recommend it.
Yeah, not a terrible movie but a pretty big letdown after Dredd and Ex Machina.

I watched The House That Jack Built. Basically I'd sum it up as if you like Lars Von Trier you will probably like this movie. Fantastic performance by Matt Dillon. It's fucked up and too long, but that's par for the course with Von Trier.

Aug 18, 2018
Chicago
went to visit my dad in the mountains, so i had a hardcore r&r weekend full of over the air tv & movies:

Eliminators (1986) an Orion 80s b-movie, with a lead role by Denise Crosby who was Tasha Yar in season 1 of Star Trek: The Next Generation (she infamously and unfairly gets permanently killed off by a monster-of-the-week). this movie had a strong Big Trouble in Little China feel. the main baguy has this compound and he wants to go back in time and become the new Julius Ceaser w all his technology. there is a final battle where he has this Roman shield that can throw bolts of energy, it's so cool, just like a video game. i only saw the last half of this, when i tuned in, they were all camped out in the woods, her, a cyborg/Robocop/Terminator ripoff, and a karate dude who was doing most of the heavily lifting. a tiny toy robot comes out and starts shooting them w lazers and the karate dude slices it in half with a sword. it's that kind of movie!

The Nest (1988) this was maybe from the same people, another lo budget b-movie, this time w gross out gore. part Jaws and part The Fly, it is about a company who has leverage over the mayor of this beach community, and they are using his town to engineer super mutant cockroaches. lots of incredible Cronenberg-style gore and body horror in this. very cool. there is a scene where the evil scientist lady that invented the roaches is experimenting on a cat, and the result is a killer mutant cat with no skin, just covered in blood. awesome vintage trash for a lazy Sunday on the couch.
I love these sorts of films. Good picks, @#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
Last edited:
Aug 2, 2015
Saw Revenger on Netflix and loved it. Very thin plot (could have been a lot better, since the setup is actually awesome), but I didn't care because it provided excuse for action and the action was superb. Will be contender for best action of 2019 for sure. The lead actor is such a beast and it's cool that he's actually pretty damn big muscle-wise, which is very rare in korean action flicks.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Watched the first MK movie last week. It's as I remembered it, cheesy as fuck but pretty good fan service for '95. It's pretty watchable cheese.

Also watched the Flinstones movie a little while ago, and that movie gets unfairly trashed imo. The cast was great (aside from Rosie O'Donnel as Betty, possibly the worst casting choice ever) and the sets were perfect, I really don't know what people expect from movie adaptations of children's entertainment, this movie nailed it I think.

Jun 25, 2015
Finland
Found a new "one of my all time favorite movies" from Netflix:
The Incident (El incidente)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3528756/

Mexican film, made in 2014.

The idea in short:
People trapped in endless staircase and endless road.

The movie holds up all the way to the end amazingly well and goes to unexpected directions with some pretty deep layers. The director has a special eye for philosophy and psychology, or at least this film makes it seem like that. I have to see his other movies to be sure about that.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018

Burning

I loved it, however:
the ending, though at first seemed to me good and shocking, felt cheap and forced. If Ben killed the girl he would not have agreed to the meeting at the end and certainly would not have asked where she is, and if he was not a serial killer then a lot of the movie doesn't make much sense. There were just too many hints. The director wanted to make a multi-layered thriller that was vague in a good way, to engender discussion, and I think he failed at that despite the fact that it's still a good movie. It feels like the script just needed another draft to make a perfect film.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018

Burning

I loved it, however:
the ending, though at first seemed to me good and shocking, felt cheap and forced. If Ben killed the girl he would not have agreed to the meeting at the end and certainly would not have asked where she is, and if he was not a serial killer then a lot of the movie doesn't make much sense. There were just too many hints. The director wanted to make a multi-layered thriller that was vague in a good way, to engender discussion, and I think he failed at that despite the fact that it's still a good movie. It feels like the script just needed another draft to make a perfect film.
That’s a cool poster

Oct 16, 2012
I'm super late to the party, but I finally saw IT. I REALLY enjoyed it. I don't watch a ton of movies, but it's one of the better ones I've seen lately. Looking forward to the next one.

Sep 4, 2018

Mildred Pierce (1945)

classic, CLASSIC film-noir with Joan Crawford in the leading role as a very ahead-of-her-time independent woman who strikes out on her own to start a restaurant that becomes a huge success, then her inevitable downfall as her partners and investors both literally and figuratively screw her out of her hard won achievements. pretty shocking twist here, though we figured it out early, it was still crazy to see it confirmed. lol every man in this movie chain smokes and says "You think about work too much, doll, just have a little fun" every 2-3 minutes before going to hang around at strip clubs.

edit: be careful that trailer spoils the end of the movie

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2013
  • Fbh

Fbh

Saw Creed II.

Wasn't bad but it was disappointing. I was hoping that with the sequel they tried to make it more of its own thing but nope, there's so much "hey remember THIS from the old movies?" you'd think it was a JJ Abrams project.

Was still a decent watch though

Last edited: