• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Toy Story 4, you almost know what you'll get (Falling back on timeless Pixar graphics (the best), legit plot (rescue mission)) we've seen Toy Story, Woody and Buzz before but not like this.

megamerican

Us. I'm completely lost why everyone seems to love this movie. The plot was absurd, the twist was predictable, and at no point was it remotely scary. I also thought that Lupita who everyone was raving about was over the top and overacty. The humor was the only thing that really worked for me, and even that was hit and miss.

As a pretty big fan of Get Out I was surprised how much I hated it. I would be curious to see what the consensus would be if Us wasn't a Jordan Peele movie.

Also watched Hotel Mumbai which I'd highly recommend It was very intense, and felt completely non-manipulative emotionally or politically.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned

Monster of the Surf was on TV today, it was pretty rad. it is what it sounds like, a beach surf party movie, with all the cheesy 60s trappings, rock n roll, go go dancing bikini girls, a bad rubber costume monster, and a really cool soundtrack. haha this sort of thing is right up my alley.

the ending has this dark evil sounding surf horror music. it's some of the coolest stuff ever. i queued up the above youtube video to around 59 minutes in, where i swear it sounds a lot like Twin Peaks.

Last edited:
I'm finally catching up on what i missed.

Venom
Equalizer 2
Get Out - awesome movie!
Don't Breathe
Guardian of the Galaxy 2
Star Trek Beyond
Star Wars Rogue One Story
Star Wars The Force Awakens
The Arrival - this made my brain hurts!!! I can see why Link (Zelda) kills the hands & I don't blame him. :p

VulcanRaven

I saw Peter Jackson's WW1 documentary They Shall Not Grow Old few days ago. It was really good. It had no normal narrator like documentaries usually have. They used old interviews from veterans. It was interesting to hear what it was like from the soldiers themselves. The colorized footage looked really good.

They_Shall_Not_Grow_Old.jpg

Last edited:

Venom
Equalizer 2
Get Out - awesome movie!
Don't Breathe
Guardian of the Galaxy 2
Star Trek Beyond
The Arrival - this made my brain hurts!!! I can see why Link (Zelda) kills the hands & I don't blame him. :p
My favorites from that list are The Arrival and Don't Breath.

Venom
Equalizer 2
Get Out - awesome movie!
Don't Breathe
Guardian of the Galaxy 2
Star Trek Beyond

The one thing I want in life is a Equalizer x John Wicke crossover /pepehands

joombo

Banned
Winchester - Think this was a ‘netflix’ film. It’s on Netflix anyway. Fun ghost house romp, pretty much exactly what I was after. Love this genre of ‘easy watch horror with a light dash of mystery’. Scooby Doo for adults

Film itself was very watchable. The final sequences were dragged on a bit too long but I’d still recommend as a light, fun watch.

Justin9mm

Watched John Wick 3 recently. Didn’t watch the first two, but I knew what they were about and could understand from context what was going on.

It was damn good. I forgot how fun action movies can be. And I’m being told it’s weaker than the first two, so I guess I gotta watch those now.
The very first two fight scenes in John Wick 3 were awesome and then it fell flat! I loved it though because I'm a fan of the series but it was a lot weaker compared to the first two. John Wick 1 & 2 were both great in different ways but 3 took the story and made it a little long in the tooth.

Saw Hotel Mumbai last weekend, depressing thriller that captures the harrowing experience the people of mumbai and the tourists visiting the city endured back in 2008!

CyberPanda

Banned
Yep, although Japan had its truly shining moment 90s and beginning of 2000s. Right now korean is unbeatable IMO specially with thrillers, drama and horror. Of course it is hard to beat the japanese classics all the way back to Kurosawa.
Yea, SK cinema is killing it.

joombo

Banned
Yesterday - 6/10

Was 'ok'. Always thought it was a strange premise for a film and with such names involved as Boyle and Curtis I would have expected better.

Cattlyst

I saw 'The Wandering Earth' recently on Netflix. Decent special effects, even if it does look like a Sega Saturn era pre-rendered movie at times. Worth a watch.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I saw Midsommar and I highly recommend it. This movie will stay with me for quite some time I think.

I really liked it, and I'm not sure I recommend it to anyone but other film weirdos. It toes a line between horror and comedy so extreme that I think people will completely misinterpret it as "unintentionally funny". It's not. It's a jet black break-up comedy movie. I love when people in a theater don't know whether to laugh or cry and that has this in spades.

Us. I'm completely lost why everyone seems to love this movie. The plot was absurd, the twist was predictable, and at no point was it remotely scary. I also thought that Lupita who everyone was raving about was over the top and overacty. The humor was the only thing that really worked for me, and even that was hit and miss.

As a pretty big fan of Get Out I was surprised how much I hated it. I would be curious to see what the consensus would be if Us wasn't a Jordan Peele movie.
I completely agree with you. Peele takes a lot from artsy/Euro-horror and it doesn't translate well for mainstream American audiences. I'm not looking forward to his Candyman remake that takes on "toxic fandom" or whatever he plans to do.

I did watch "Under the Silver Lake" and really enjoyed it, despite not liking the director's previous movie "It Follows" much. This is a horrible example, but think of a Wes Anderson take on a David Lynch film. It deals with obsession, conspiracy theorists, codes, hollywood cults and it was just an oddly enjoyable film.

Last edited:

bati

I watched Dragged Across Concrete (Mel Gibson, Vince Vaughn) a few weeks ago - absolutely phenomenal. Some scenes made me recoil in shock and I had to rewind them just to parse what I just saw. Top notch acting and a couple insanely suspenseful sequences.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Rewatched the Monster Squad recently. Damn those kids swear constantly in the movie. Also forgot about the whole “virgin” subplot lol the 80s

Geostorm
Turned off brain and it was alright. Engaged 10% of my brain and it starts to unravel quickly lol.
The movie is beyond dumb and I love it. Best part is when Ed Harris says “I planned for every possible contingency” and then he pulls out a rocket launcher that he uses to a shoot a taxi. Amazing

Last edited:

joombo

Banned
Anna (2019) - 7/10

Unoriginal to a fault, but thanks to the strong lead, good supporting cast and entertaining scenes, Anna’s still a good film.

It lacks suspense and depth in both the story and action scenes, which are too few and far between, but other than that, it was quite enjoyable.

brap

Banned
Cradle 2 The Grave... bruh... BRUH!!!!!
this shit was great. i was expecting something like Exit Wounds but this was way better. 8.5/10.

Vlightray

watched some Nic Cage movies this week...

Bringing Out The Dead - Dark comedy was fantastic highly recommended and a surprise from Scorsese. 8/10

Matchstick Men - Not really a Comedy more like a drama but highly enjoyable great performance by Nic and of course Sam Rockwell the goat! 7.5/10

Tehvenom

I saw Midsommar and I highly recommend it. This movie will stay with me for quite some time I think.
Check your breathing patterns lol ooo ahh.
I loved it myself, and was so captivated by the music and the atmosphere of the movie. I want more of these types of movies that's for sure.

June

Best films I've seen recently:

Opera (1987)
Metropolitan (1990)
A Few Good Men (1992)
Overture to a New War (1993)
Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Showgirls (1995)
Fear (1996)
Troy (2004)
The Man from Earth (2007)

I'm re-watching "He Never Died" on Netflix US right now. This is a great dark comedy/horror mash-up that is best going into blind imo. It stars Henry Rollins and he is great in this role.

JimiNutz

Banned
I really liked it, and I'm not sure I recommend it to anyone but other film weirdos. It toes a line between horror and comedy so extreme that I think people will completely misinterpret it as "unintentionally funny". It's not. It's a jet black break-up comedy movie. I love when people in a theater don't know whether to laugh or cry and that has this in spades.

I saw Midsommar yesterday and it's the biggest disappointment of the year for me by miles.

I loved Hereditary and had been warned that this was more of a comedy but I didn't find it remotely funny or scary in any way. The film was incredibly slow and boring. There were no shocks, no twists, no scenes that will stick with me. The best thing I can say about it was that the location was beautiful and the start was pretty harrowing but other than that the whole film fell flat.

I saw it in a group of six and everyone hated it. I heard a couple leaving the cinema saying it was one of the worst films they'd ever seen as well.

I pride myself on being a film weirdo but this film was just boring and forgettable for me.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I saw Midsommar yesterday and it's the biggest disappointment of the year for me by miles.

I loved Hereditary and had been warned that this was more of a comedy but I didn't find it remotely funny or scary in any way. The film was incredibly slow and boring. There were no shocks, no twists, no scenes that will stick with me. The best thing I can say about it was that the location was beautiful and the start was pretty harrowing but other than that the whole film fell flat.

I saw it in a group of six and everyone hated it. I heard a couple leaving the cinema saying it was one of the worst films they'd ever seen as well.

I pride myself on being a film weirdo but this film was just boring and forgettable for me.

And yet while I loved it, I completely understand where you're coming from. It's a really hard one to recommend. I sometimes have a high threshold for slow and thudding and this was just one of those cases - same with Dragged Across Concrete recently, I really loved it and my friend still resents me for wasting his time with it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood.

Everybody knows it's a Tarantino film, starts and ends with starpower, I feel like this movie deserves awards.

5/5

Nymphae

Banned
Watched Liar Liar recently, really forgot how great it was. Peak Jim Carrey was a force of nature and it's a shame we won't see more of him.

Notable moments - when Jim is trying to explain to his kid that sometimes he has to lie, he uses the example "When you're mom was pregnant and asked me how she looked, I couldn't call her a cow", and the kid says "my teacher says real beauty is on the inside", and Jim says "that's just something ugly people say" - I thought it was funny that he was able to say this - thus making it a true statement according to the film lol.

Also I really loved when the bitch lawyer finds out he can't lie, so she brings Jim to the big boss to make him insult the guy. Jim lets loose - only for the boss to find it hilarious, and then he asks him to roast everyone in the room. Jim happily obliges since for once he can just let loose mean, true statements and people are loving it.

brap

Banned
Brawl in Cell Block 99 was pretty good fam. I enjoyed the street fighter 2 bonus stage reference haha.
I CANT BELIEVE THERE WAS NO CHRISTOPHER BRIDGE BRUHS!!!

Top Bottom