• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

ROMhack

Can you link the blog if you don't mind?

Forgive me but I'll get back to you in a few weeks with a link.

Basically, I started the blog about a month ago and have been adding content to it every few days. I'm tying it to a YouTube channel and said I would advertise the blog more widely when I get to 25 pieces of content - I'm currently about halfway there.

I dunno if you run any blogs but a lot of my time has been spent figuring out what works and what doesn't.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
51x-%2BLsPFCL._SY445_.jpg

Clearly a GOAT movie with an unholy amount of action, it's got to be the Uncharted of movies.

A1wddRHdQOL._SX342_.jpg

Comes across as a futuristic movie and could have been a lot worse, the Theron factor alone makes it worth watching and the action scenes were perfectly executed. The cool ideas helped.
tumblr_omvphyCPD01utsakio1_500.gif

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Weathering with you, was really good and I think I might like it better than Your Name.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Watched the Sorcerer’s Apprentice (2010) last night and yeah that was so silly and fun. Nicholas Cage is in the main role and you can pretty much pretend he is just being himself not even playing a character it’s hilarious. Apparently it was his idea to do the movie in the first place, something he thought of while digging into Arthurian lore. I was joking “All these dragon statues and things were just stuff he brought in from his house” probably not far from the truth

Feel like his first line in the movie is “Because I can READ MINDS!!” There was a cool car chase where he reaches out the window and turns his car into a more badass car while driving. Really silly and fun.

Last edited:

joombo

Banned
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Me and the Lady both loved this
Great soundtrack, captured the era well. LOL's in the cinema for the finale!

-Arcadia-

Banned
Seconding Alita. Blissfully free of any politicization or ideology pushing, and a great time. It’s not a perfect movie, but it’s strong in a way we don’t really see from the weakly written stuff out there anymore.

I also rewatched the first Matrix and really enjoyed it. Even though we’ve all taken this ride many times before, and know all the answers, the journey out of the Matrix and discovering what it is, is as fun and spellbinding as ever to watch.

I think my only complaint was noticing that the movie slightly rushes to wrap itself up after spending all that time worldbuilding, and some slightly corny action scenes (although it’s the Matrix... what was I really expecting?).

Nymphae

Banned
Watching a lot of Westerns, sick of the modern world.

This week I've watched - A Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, Tombstone, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Pale Rider, High Plains Drifter, Duck, You Sucker!, Two Mules for Sister Sarah, Unforgiven, and The Magnificent Seven.

I enjoyed all of them quite a lot, particularly High Plains Drifter.

Purchased all of these as well. Fuck sub services.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
A1wddRHdQOL._SX342_.jpg

Comes across as a futuristic movie and could have been a lot worse, the Theron factor alone makes it worth watching and the action scenes were perfectly executed. The cool ideas helped.
tumblr_omvphyCPD01utsakio1_500.gif

Watch the TV series, it's so creative and interesting to watch. The first 2 seasons are short vignettes, I love these to death. The 3rd season was more traditional length with more voice work. The movie doesn't do the show justice in the slightest.

I always show people the beginning of this episode, just crazy ideas and awesome animation.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Repo Man. I don't think I'd ever seen it before. I don't usually love farsical movies, but I thought this was pretty good. It has a great mood
i saw this again recently. it holds up. if you look at it as a narrative, it's almost a road movie, not much happening, just driving around making friends looking for this one destination (the car). but it is packed with great writing, some killer lines, and great acting as well. Emilio Estevez and Harry Dean Stanton (and the grizzled Repo men flunkies they work with) all have great chemistry. towards the end, it kind of spirals out of control, the pacing goes wild, but it sort of makes sense, with the transcendent sci fi ending.

i love the soundtrack. i love the effects when the car zaps somebody, like when it evaporates the highway cop, and you see his skeleton, and his boots are left there on the ground, smoke coming out of them. i love his loser punk friends, who are always in the background of scenes, stealing and robbing and shooting, stumbling through the story on some anarchy shit. they get what they deserve in the end, that one punk saying "I blame society" before he dies is one of the all time great scenes. then there is the new age UFO cult who want the car and are doing some silly Stranger Things style spy stuff. really great movie, I recommend seeing it in a theater if you get a chance!

Last edited:

BigBooper

i saw this again recently. it holds up. if you look at it as a narrative, it's almost a road movie, not much happening, just driving around making friends looking for this one destination (the car). but it is packed with great writing, some killer lines, and great acting as well. Emilio Estevez and Harry Dean Stanton (and the grizzled Repo men flunkies they work with) all have great chemistry. towards the end, it kind of spirals out of control, the pacing goes wild, but it sort of makes sense, with the transcendent sci fi ending.

i love the soundtrack. i love the effects when the car zaps somebody, like when it evaporates the highway cop, and you see his skeleton, and his boots are left there on the ground, smoke coming out of them. i love his loser punk friends, who are always in the background of scenes, stealing and robbing and shooting, stumbling through the story on some anarchy shit. they get what they deserve in the end, that one punk saying "I blame society" before he dies is one of the all time great scenes. then there is the new age UFO cult who want the car and are doing some silly Stranger Things style spy stuff. really great movie, I recommend seeing it in a theater if you get a chance!
Haha I loved that part. Otto is holding up his punk friend's head and telling him he's going to be alright while he's gurgling up his blood and moaning.

When I first started the movie I didn't know anything about it, but when I saw the first "abduction" I was hooked. It's the right amount of goofy.

Thor : Ragnarok, I, finally watched it all in a sitting
Before this, I only had chances to see pieces of it, but I sat and watched as a whole
Some of the tastier laughs I had in a while, its comedic side is state of the art lol

sol_bad

The Divine Fury
This is a Korean action horror film about good against evil, the none believer "fighting" against demons. There wasn't much horror and there wasn't much action so it was a bit of a let down for me. The exorcism scenes were just ok as well. There are two fight scenes at the end which were pretty cool and there will be a sequel which I'll still happily watch.

Angry Birds 2
I enjoyed the first film and this sequel was also fun. No deep meanings or anything like that, just simple pure fun. You can tell the humour was primarily aimed at kids but there are quite a few adult jokes. What made me laugh, alot, was the music that was chosen for this film. So many songs are played at so many integral moments, sings that only adults would really know. The songs added so much to the humour. I liked the characters and the message about working together.

Parasite
Another Korean film, directed by Bong Joon-ho known for Memories of Murder, The Host, Okja and Snowpiercer. I don't even know what category this film falls in to, at all. It's funny, it's tense, it's creep at times, it has drama, it has everything. The whole cast is damn great, both families in the story were fun to watch. I suggest not reading this and going in not knowing anything about the film but
the basic plot is about a poor family that lies their way in to working for a rich family so they can get fat pay cheques. Half way through the film shit hits the fan as revelations are made and it just gets crazier from there

The Mule
Directed by and starring Clint Eastwood, this film didn't play in the cinemas where I am living and this really annoyed me. Finally caught it on HBO and as per usual for Clint Eastwood it was a joy to watch. He is so damn funny to watch, love his comments that he makes. Makes me wonder if the cartels have ever used old men to make their drug deliveries in real life.
As sad as it was, i am happy with how the film ended.

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
Brillant, brilliant brilliant film. Tarantino can do no wrong in my mind. This film doesn't really have any narrative, it's literally just a bunch of scenes playing out with people talking but Tarantino makes it a joy to watch. The run time is 2 hours and 40 minutes but it didn't feel like it, the film zoomed by. As for the ending, as violent as it was, that shit was entertaining as fuck and I couldn't stop laughing. I'll spoiler this in case other people are like me,
I had zero idea that the Manson family were involved in the film and that Tarantino was rewriting history, I had no idea the ranch that Bad Pitt went to was the Manson family. I had no idea until the end
Also,
when Leonardo went and got his flamethrower, my laughter went from 10 to 50. OH EM GEE

Nymphae

Banned
Last night I watched 2 cult "Acid Westerns" starring Jack Nicholson, I found them for free on DailyMotion.

The First was The Shooting, the summary is what peaked my interest.

The story is about two men who are hired by a mysterious woman to accompany her to a town located many miles across the desert. During their journey, they are closely tracked by a black-clad gunslinger who seems intent on killing all of them.

It has a really weird tone and story, but I enjoyed watching it. I typically watch everything with subtitles on because it's the best way for me to keep volume levels in check while ensuring I won't miss lines of dialog. I was unable to watch these movies with subtitles and the rip was not the best quality, so I had trouble hearing a lot of the dialog, but it is a pretty simple setup.

Then after than it autoplayed Ride in the Whirlwind, again with Jack Nicholson, which I also found rather enjoyable. It was easier to hear so I was able to understand most of it, it's a story about a group of innocent men who are mistaken for some outlaws and are hunted down. Both are really bleak stories that don't have happy endings.

autoduelist

Last few movies i've seen:

Indiana Jones series with my son: awesome.

Glass: i love unbreakable. This had some great acting and scenes, and was worth watching, though not as good as the other two.

Spiderverse : solid, enjoyable.

Once upon a time in hollywood - fantastic slow boil

I used to watch lots of movies... just don't have time for them lately. This especially hurts my ability to dig deep into my favorite genres [westerns, kung fu, sci-fi, etc... i feel like many great ones must be passing me by]

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I rewatched Oscar (1991) last night.

I’ve always felt this movie got a bad reputation unfairly.

I think the premise is very funny. The set and costumes are outstanding. It does let itself down with some questionable editing, which make some of the comedy fall a bit flat and I think Sylvester Stallone wasn’t ready for this role at that stage of his career and would do a much better job of it now (he even admits that he’d play it differently).

Some of the supporting cast are fantastic and genuinely hilarious in their roles.

Marisa Tomei is ridiculously good, almost perfect in what was her first major movie gig, I think.

Anyway, a flawed yet underrated movie.

Last edited:

sol_bad

The Edge of Seventeen (Netflix)
I thought we'd watch this just because it had Woody Harrelson in it. Turns out he isn't really in it too much and isn't even much of a character.
Hailee Steinfield is the main star and she puts in a good effort. It's a coming of age drama, her character is socially inept. She is also trying to deal with the loss of her father.
There is more to the film than this and it's a pretty decent flick, nothing amazing though.

Pineapple Express (Netflix)
I hadn't seen this film in about 7 years or so. Very happy that it still holds up really well, still hilarious. I love watching Seth Rogan and James Franco interact, it's the best.
Do I need to explain what this film is about?

Ready or Not (cinema)
Fun little horror film with a few gruesome scenes. It was also pretty funny in places. Samara Weaving is pretty awesome and I'll watch anything she is in in the future. Good to see yet another ozzie on the cinema screen.
^_^
Overall the story was pretty predictable but the journey was still enjoyable, it's a pretty short film too.

Weathering With You (cinema)
This is about a girl who can control the weather through psychic powers, a "sunshine girl". Japan (and maybe the world?) is having constant never ending rain and so she helps people that need sunshine for various reasons. It's primarily a love story but there are certain supernatural elements that I wish they would have explored more.,
I don't get to see many anime films on the big screen so pretty happy that the wifey and I got to see this. Beautiful animation and an interesting story with likable and funny characters. Here in the Philippines anime is pretty popular and the crowd had big reactions when certain characters appeared on screen, we were pretty confused as to why the crowd was reacting. After the film ended I realised that it was directed by Mokoto Shinkai and it was some of his characters from another film that appeared. I don't know how I didn't know this was his film, I've seen Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised in Our Early Days and 5 Centimeters Per Second and loved all of them.

Your Name (Vudu)
Also directed by Makoto Shinkai and also beautiful animated with an interesting concept. All of his films have very similar concepts involving love and this one is not different. I was pretty shocked by the mid film revelation and had no idea what to expect from there on. I fully recommend this and all of Mokoto Shinkai's films,they are all great.

Last edited:
I just seen The Lion King (2019 ×3 seen), Fast and Furious Presents : Hobbs and Shaw (2019 ×4 seen), Avengers : Endgame (2019 seen in April ×2) and the Angry Birds Movie 2 tbh I love these 4 movies they're so good and that is why I've watched them so many times all are great movies.

Nymphae

Banned
So I'm watching a Ghost in the Shell DVD I bought at Walmart for 5 bucks. The cartoon version. It's not even that bad of a DVD, it has a bunch of extras and stuff on it, some DVDs I've bought don't even have subtitles.

Anyway, this has to be hands down the worst subtitles I have ever seen. They literally altered every single line of dialog in the most minor ways possible. Like every single one. I can't believe the effort that went into just slightly altering the script for every single line, you'd think it would be easier to just transcribe the actual spoken words. And sometimes it's a rather large change, but always means the same thing roughly. Like near the start the main character says "must be a cross in the wires" or something like that, and the subtitle was "it's just that time of the month" lol. The one I just saw was a guy over a radio saying "car 53...", and they fucking changed the subtitle to car 79! Like why would you do this.

Nymphae

Banned
Watched As Good as it Gets tonight. Late 90's comedy in which a misanthropic queer/jew/black/occasional woman hating old white man reluctantly helps gay neighbour and gets the girl in the end. 2 Oscars for acting. Wonder if this would be praised or even made today. It's not overly heavy on the "hate", but his character is unapologetically and publicly disdainful of gays, blacks, jews, and women. The acting was pretty good overall, and I just like watching Nicholson in pretty much anything.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Watched Harold Lloyd’s “Safety Last” to see some hair raising stunts. The film is crazy, he scales a real building and occasionally pauses for really dangerous dances and stuff. The guy is dancing on a ledge like 8 stories up. Absolutely nuts and I love it!

I watched the latest Hellboy movie the other day.
The guy who played Hellboy did a pretty good job. His overall character seemed very similar to Ron Perlmans. The main villain and some of the SFX werent good though. I appreciated that they showed some pretty graphic violence, even though the flawed special effects lessened their impact. A couple of the monster designs were really cool too.
Overall, I think it was a bad movie with some bits and pieces in it that I liked.

VulcanRaven

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I really liked it. The movie was almost 3 hours but it didn't feel that long. I haven't seen other Tarantino movies but I will definitely watch them now.

GymWolf

i'm more of a serial tv guy but the last good films i watched were hereditary and US, both great and with oscar worthy performance from the protagonist (but really all the cast)

tkscz

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMjMvMzQyL2kwMi9zaGF6YW1sb2dvZnJvbnQuanBn

Just watched this last night with my girlfriend and it's still so good (hadn't seen it sense theaters). I still consider this the best stand alone Super Hero movie, and it's not even that much of a super hero movie, but more of a coming of age movie with some super heroes thrown in.

It's written so damn smart, from how Billy and Savanah (the hero and villain respectively) have a connection without that connection being something one of the characters did to the other (they don't even meet for the first time until the movie is more than half way over). To it's theme about family between said hero and villain, and how it subverts expectations in a way Rian Johnson WISH he could (Billy finding his mom is just the best sense). The movie knows what it is, what it's trying to do/say and how to go about it without making things overly complected or too simplistic. Zachary Levi was so perfect of SHAZAM (Billy when transformed) and plays a boy in a man's body so damn well, helped by a script that understands the idea of what a 14 year old would do if he were suddenly 27 or so, and have him slowly come to an understanding of family, responsibility, trust and love.

And the side characters. They somehow found a group of child actors that are actually good at portraying the personality of who they were meant to portray and it works. Freddy and Darla take the show when they get time to shine and man did they get Freddy right.

The villain is also done so well in the movie. He's portrayed as the coming of age gone wrong, helped by the movie showing us his origin before even showing us Billy himself, let alone how he became a foster kid.

The movie is just so damn good and gets right what even a lot of Marvel films get wrong.

I just watched 68 Kill on Netflix and it was a great dark comedy/gore fest. It stars this guy from Criminal Minds and he plays the part well.

tumblr_oubxg676a71r1tl07o1_5001.gif

sol_bad

Lincoln (Nerflix)
Good educational movie. I didn't know much about the emancipation proclamation or the 13th amendment so it was interesting to hear and see about that. Daniel Day Lewis is incredible of course. But the film as a whole is a bit ho-hum.

IT: Chapter 1 (Vudu)
Great movie all around, love the characters and find it very scary.

IT: Chapter 2 (cinema)
Also a great film, just not quite as good as the first film. It's longer and so there are longer stretches where it's not scary. Still some truly terrifying moments. Adult cast is just as good as the kid cast.

Blade (Vudu)
After watching a few super natural Korean films the wifey and I had an itch to watch this again.
Unfortunately it doesn't hold up that well these days. The intro and first action scene is easily the best part of the film. The remaining action scenes have terrible sound effects and/or boring choreography and not filmed as well. The final fight with frost is completely "meh".
Kris Kristofferson is the best as Whistler, his scenes are the best none action parts. Stephen Dorf is also good as Frost. Bloody N'bushe Wright as the woman doctor is damn terrible though, she can't act. Anyway, we were a bit bored throughout the film. We'll watch part 2 which I hope holds up better since it's Del Toro.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

IT Chapter 2.
Not as good as the first one as it tends jump all over the place and their older selves just aren’t as exciting. Some good scenes in it though. 7/10

sol_bad

Blade 2 (Vudu)
While the first film is really average and boring by today's standards, the sequel is pretty freaking incredible. Del Toro just brings a lot of "class" to the franchise. He really steps up the visual aesthetic and there is a lot of great prosthetic use too. Even the CG holds up really well for me, there are combat shots where the characters are entirely CG, you can tell they are CG by the way they move but they still look great due to lighting and composition. I love the blood pack, Blade is a bit more of a character, Whistler still kicks arse and Norman Reedus is great too. I totally forgot that he was in it to be honest.
The fight choreography is on another level too, while only the first action scene in Blade 1 has value, all the fight scenes in the sequel are really well done.

Blade Trinity (Google Play)
Piece of fucking shit fucking film through and through.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
IT 2, I think it's worth a watch, probably the most interesting film of the year, Pennywise is very good.
It-Chapter-2-Runtime.jpg

VulcanRaven

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

I really like this movie. I haven't seen the anime or read the manga so I can't compare it to those.

Last edited:

HarryKS

Before We Go.

1297744296232_ORIGINAL.jpg

Chris Evans' directorial debut. Surprised by the critics. They were scathing. I thought it was a decent little flick, unpretentious, with characters who don't pretend to know everything, good acting, an ambiguous ending.

Some call it slow, but if you've ever liked someone that's attached to someone else, you'll recognize yourself in it.

Also, almost everyone is good looking in it.

One of the main criticisms is that it seems to be a rehash of the 'Before' trilogy but truth be told, structurally, yes, but not all of it. Still charming.

Weilthain

Banned
Into the spiderverse was pretty damn good although I’ve only seen half of it.

The visuals are really well done with the blurry out of focus effect they use. My wife thought it might be a 3D movie without the glasses 🙄😂

Or is it me?....

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I like the anime better but I had fun with this movie too, I really enjoyed the visuals and half naked ScarJo.
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by that movie after seeing many poor reviews. I was surprised by how faithful it was to the original.

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by that movie after seeing many poor reviews. I was surprised by how faithful it was to the original.

Yeah the homage shots were really nice, but I do like how they didn't just tell that exact same story either. I'm not super familiar with the series so I'm not sure if the movie plot was some new stuff or some older existing story stuff worked in there.

Top Bottom