• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

sol_bad

I still remember seeing Robocop 3 in the cinemas and wondering what the fuck I just watched. I was 10 or 11 at the time.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Robocop 3 is indeed trash but i caught it on matinee TV last year and it was so much fun. it's definitely in the z or b-movie lineage. one of the first scenes has a little girl hack the ED-209 to be friendly. Robocop has a jetpack and fights a ninja terminator. very stupid but damn fun.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Robocop 3 is indeed trash but i caught it on matinee TV last year and it was so much fun. it's definitely in the z or b-movie lineage. one of the first scenes has a little girl hack the ED-209 to be friendly. he has a jetpack and fights a ninja terminator. very stupid but damn fun.

I haven't seen it since that viewing in the cinema which is pretty crazy. I intend to do a rewatch of all 3 movies one day. No updated blu ray trilogy set. :messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting:

Looking back it's super crazy that Robocop 2 had a kid as the main villain though. Especially as a sadistic leader of a drug empire.

Yeah other movies have had kids as villains but typically they're under the influence of some malign force or are supernatural in nature.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
we projected Big Trouble in Little China tonight. it was awesome, as always. Egg Shen is one of the coolest film sorcerers of all time.

Just watched Parasite and wow. It's been a really long time since I've been this impressed by a movie. Just an incredible experience, it will make you laugh and out of nowhere hit you right in the chin and it just keeps kicking you. Pure masterpiece, believe the hype for this one.

Despera

Banned
Just watched Parasite and wow. It's been a really long time since I've been this impressed by a movie. Just an incredible experience, it will make you laugh and out of nowhere hit you right in the chin and it just keeps kicking you. Pure masterpiece, believe the hype for this one.
Never heard of it. The opening of the trailer was enough for me this looks like it's worth checking.

Nymphae

Banned
Watched Die Hard last night, haven't seen it in quite a while. Fantastic movie. Laughed out loud at the part when John is on the roof and trying to radio anyone for help. He explains the situation about the terrorists, sounding very distraught, and his call is returned by some female officer somewhere, who says "Sir this line is for emergencies only", to which John responds "No fucking shit lady does it sound like I'm ordering a pizza?" lol

I still don't get why people consider this a Christmas movie. I love this movie and I love Christmas themed movies, but I never put Die Hard on during the holidays. It being a Christmas movie feels like a more recent bugmanism - "Fuck yeah the best Christmas movie is the one with guns and explosions!" Sure, it is set during Christmas time, and you see a few Christmas trees here and there, and hear a Christmas tune a few times, but the holidays are basically completely unnecessary for the plot. When John references the Christmas party, the yuppie cokehead clarifies that the reason for the party at the Nakatomi building was half because they just closed a huge business deal. If that were the entire pretext for the party, the movie doesn't change at all.

Watched Die Hard last night, haven't seen it in quite a while. Fantastic movie. Laughed out loud at the part when John is on the roof and trying to radio anyone for help. He explains the situation about the terrorists, sounding very distraught, and his call is returned by some female officer somewhere, who says "Sir this line is for emergencies only", to which John responds "No fucking shit lady does it sound like I'm ordering a pizza?" lol

I still don't get why people consider this a Christmas movie. I love this movie and I love Christmas themed movies, but I never put Die Hard on during the holidays. It being a Christmas movie feels like a more recent bugmanism - "Fuck yeah the best Christmas movie is the one with guns and explosions!" Sure, it is set during Christmas time, and you see a few Christmas trees here and there, and hear a Christmas tune a few times, but the holidays are basically completely unnecessary for the plot. When John references the Christmas party, the yuppie cokehead clarifies that the reason for the party at the Nakatomi building was half because they just closed a huge business deal. If that were the entire pretext for the party, the movie doesn't change at all.

Remember how it begins, McClane says "can we listen to some Christmas music" to which Argyle responds "this IS Christmas music" that's your clue right there. Hans Gruber is the Grinch trying to steal christmas, he's greedy and that greed has turned his heart black. The limo is McClane's sleigh, he's Santa, saving the day!

Fbh

It's a Bong Joon-ho movie, he's a great filmmaker. It might be his best one yet, it's absolutely worth checking.

Nice, didn't know this was already out. Is it available to rent/stream somewhere or is it still in theaters.

Love his movies (except Okja which was kinda meh)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the holidays are basically completely unnecessary for the plot
but no xmas no "Ho ho ho now I have a machine gun"!

also when they finally crack the safe and it is triumphantly playing Beethoven and the hacker goes "Merry Christmas"

Christmas really is baked into the movie. sure you could remove these things and take them out but the overall tone would be vastly different. the film needs it's moments of levity.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
but no xmas no "Ho ho ho now I have a machine gun"!

also when they finally crack the safe and it is triumphantly playing Beethoven and the hacker goes "Merry Christmas"

Christmas really is baked into the movie.

Those feel like such minimal Christmas elements though, nothing about the story hinges on the holidays, and the one thing that sort of does - them being there for a Christmas party, is unnecessarily undermined by the script itself (the party was also celebrating a business deal) They wrote some corny Christmas one liners, but if it were any other holiday, or day, the movie still works, those lines would just be different wisecracks.

Last edited:
Nice, didn't know this was already out. Is it available to rent/stream somewhere or is it still in theaters.

Love his movies (except Okja which was kinda meh)

Still in theaters, available on less savory means but as far as I know no streaming other than that. Really fantastic movie, might just be his best one yet. I didn't like Okja that much as well, but this one is legit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

VulcanRaven

Robocop 1 is a tight masterpiece - great effects, very well paced, great satirical elements, I think there is very little wrong with this film. On the extra features, director Paul Verhoeven says "I wanted to film Satan killing Jesus." I remember watching this a lot as a kid, and I'm just surprised looking back that I was ever allowed. The scene where Clarence and his gang kill Murphy is brutal and sickening. Yet the violence here is also taken so far over the top as to be comical at times - people are literally riddled with dozens of high caliber bullets and still don't die. I laughed out loud during the scene where OCP is showing the police force it's new huge tank robot thing, and it malfunctions, obliterating an employee with hundreds of bullets from a chain gun, it's crazy over the top. But the kicker was right after, another employee yells "Someone call a paramedic!", like there is any chance of this guy still being alive lol. Paul Verhoeven called that out in the extra features I watched afterwards and I felt a kinship lol.

Robocop 2 is a lot worse than the first movie, just feels like a cheap knockoff. They made the robot suit look a little shinier and blue steelish, but it has none of the charm or humour of the first movie. The story was written by Frank Miller, and has a fantastic little bit about OCP burdening Robocop's programming with so many additional directives that he can no longer function properly:

• DIRECTIVE 233: Restrain hostile feelings.
  • DIRECTIVE 234: Promote positive attitude.
  • DIRECTIVE 235: Suppress aggressiveness.
  • DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values.
  • DIRECTIVE 238: Avoid destructive behavior.
  • DIRECTIVE 239: Be accessible.
  • DIRECTIVE 240: Participate in group activities.
  • DIRECTIVE 241: Avoid interpersonal conflicts.
  • DIRECTIVE 242: Avoid premature value judgments.
  • DIRECTIVE 243: Pool opinions before expressing yourself.
  • DIRECTIVE 244: Discourage feelings of negativity and hostility.
  • DIRECTIVE 245: If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't talk.

Very relevant to the way today's social engineers operate.

Robocop 3 is trash tier and I couldn't even get through it, I went to bed before the climax and I didn't care to put it back on today. Watching Thunderball instead.
I think RoboCop 3 is better than 2. It has the theme music at least. I have never liked RoboCop 2.

I watched Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy again. The first movie was better than I remembered. Tobey Maguire is the best Spider-Man and Willem Dafoe is great as Green Goblin. I just wish the costume was better. SM2 is my favorite superhero movie with The Dark Knight. SM3 could have been much better. Maybe they should have removed the black suit/Venom storyline. I'm a big fan of the character but it shows that it Raimi didn't really like him.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I think RoboCop 3 is better than 2. It has the theme music at least. I have never liked RoboCop 2.

Maybe it was just because it was the third one in a marathon, and the sequels are just so much worse than the incredible first one, by the third one I was like fuck this trash. 3 has a direct to video, almost made for TV vibe, just feels low budget and low impact. Not having Peter Weller starring was a bummer as well.

Nymphae

Banned
The Color of Money - I love this flick, the sequel to 1961's The Hustler. Picks up with the same character over a quarter of a century later as he tries to mentor the up and coming Tom Cruise into the hustling life.

I love both those actors and I think they are both fun to watch in this movie. There are some really nice shots of the games being played as well, the cinematography isn't going to blow your mind away or anything, but I love the attention that is payed to the game table itself. This is the only Martin Scorcese film to be given 2 thumbs down by Roger & Ebert.

VulcanRaven

Maybe it was just because it was the third one in a marathon, and the sequels are just so much worse than the incredible first one, by the third one I was like fuck this trash. 3 has a direct to video, almost made for TV vibe, just feels low budget and low impact. Not having Peter Weller starring was a bummer as well.
One reason for that might be that it was PG-13. That wasn't a good decision. I just checked Wikipedia and the movie made only $10 million and the budget was $22 million.

Last edited:
Godzilla: King of the Monsters

It's everything it sounds like it would be, and it's incredibly entertaining if you shut your brain off at the door.

I can accept the 350' tall radioactive dinosaur, but fuck off with your VTOL B2 aircraft.

The 2014 Godzilla movie is one of my favorites from this past decade, even though it's not a cinematic masterpiece. Knowing that I turned off my brain, turned the Kong of Monsters movie on. I barely made it through the film.

Utter disappointment. While yes, with a huge monster movie one must suspend disbelief to enjoy these. The first one accomplished this primarily by having the realism of the characters follow to the tune of Godzilla. King of the Monsters provided the crap super-command-plane, with mega-weaponry, and devices which talked to the monsters. Just didn't fit with the tone of the first film.

I couldn't recommend it. Glad you enjoyed it, but having the backdrop of let's say the parachuting scene from the first movie to this one...just no comparison.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I kinda liked Vice. There are moments early in where the prostethics don't look great, but overall it was a really well made movie and it was an interesting look at what may have been going on in that crazy Bush administration.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Those feel like such minimal Christmas elements though, nothing about the story hinges on the holidays, and the one thing that sort of does - them being there for a Christmas party, is unnecessarily undermined by the script itself (the party was also celebrating a business deal) They wrote some corny Christmas one liners, but if it were any other holiday, or day, the movie still works, those lines would just be different wisecracks.
yeah i don't think so. what would you change "Ho ho ho now I have a machine gun" to? something referencing Thanksgiving? Valentine's Day? there are no office Valentine's Day parties. the Christmas party is a corporate tradition, it's central placement in the plot here, a knowing wink to the corporate culture that 80's movies loved both to celebrate & clown. Christmas and capitalism and greed, it is all mixed together. these are themes of the film.

there is so much more. what about when the heroic cop is introduced, blissfully whistling "Let it snow", seconds away from having a dead body dropped on his car, and all hell breaking loose? a song about snuggling up by the fire at Christmas time, with his singing even edited to be in time with the crashing of the dead body? they could replace "Let it snow" with another song, i guess, but what? "Don't worry, be happy?" nah that wouldn't work. "Good vibrations?" that's a summer song. would anything else give the same feels? no, it would not be the same. it would not be as iconic. it would alter the mood of the scene, and the surrounding film.

ditto with the Run DMC Christmas song. ditto with the vault opening scene. all these moments, all these threads, throughout the film. there are so many moments that would have to be altered, it would not be the same movie anymore.

i know it's annoying to see it on "Christmas movie" listicles and stuff, and people saying it like it's a unique thing to say, it's not really. but i think that's because it's kind of just a truth. Christmas is quite relevant to the plot and the feel of the film in many ways, it is there for scenes of levity as well as horror. it's baked into the fabric of the film.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
yeah i don't think so. what would you change "Ho ho ho now I have a machine gun" to? something referencing Thanksgiving? Valentine's Day?

Any wise crack, it really doesn't need to be holiday themed lol. Like literally "Surprise motherfuckers, now I have a gun" does the same thing, just not holiday themed.

ditto with the Run DMC Christmas song. ditto with the vault opening scene. all these moments, all these threads, throughout the film. there are so many moments that would have to be altered, it would not be the same movie anymore.

None of it feels essential to the plot to me, and I could easily see this movie not happening during any holiday. The basic plot still is exactly the same - terrorists take over a building during a corporate party and heroic cop who is there visiting his estranged wife gets caught up in the mix. It doesn't really say anything about the holidays, it just makes a few holiday jokes and uses some songs. Like if that's enough for others, fine, but for me personally these elements to not make it a "Christmas movie", merely a movie set during the holidays. And I do realize it's LA, but the total lack of snow really makes a difference too, DH2 is much better in that regard.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Die Hard isn't a christmas movie btw.

d7no9chcba421.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Any wise crack, it really doesn't need to be holiday themed lol. Like literally "Surprise motherfuckers, now I have a gun" does the same thing, just not holiday themed.
oof that is totally 100% lamer than the real thing.
Well if Die Hard isn’t counted then I guess Bad Santa has to be the best Christmas movie.

giphy.gif
the real answer is Ernest Saves Christmas

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
oof that is totally 100% lamer than the real thing.

I don't really think so, but my point is just that the plot, character motivations, most of those little jokes could have easily not involved Christmas at all, and the movie wouldn't really be worse off for it. Brap's tweet there I think nails the mindset of people who will champion this as the best Christmas movie. I have never once put this on during the holidays and I don't think it's because I have a strict notion of what a Christmas movie is, it just doesn't occur to me because I'm thinking of all the other movies that actually feature Christmas prominently.

>the only good WW1 movies that came out between 2014 and 2018 are a Peter Jackson documentary and Wonder Woman

:messenger_hushed:

So I liked Wonder Woman. It's 100% certified shit until Kirk's flashback but then the kino levels keep escalating. It's basically Captain America but in WW1.
David Thewlis in a Zack Snyder superhero fight is fucking hilarious - in a good way. All the bad guys seemed to have fun.

Pirates of the Carribbean 5

Almost as good as the second one. It's quite inventive and far from the idiocy of the third movie. Nowhere near as cringy either. The special effects are amazing.

POTC ratings: 1>2>5>>>>>>>>>4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>3.
I'd watch a sequel. It feels like the franchise found its footing again: less focus on Depp makes him more effective, it's not as lethargic as 4, it's spectacular without feeling like the writers and artists threw shit at the wall seeing what sticks...

Nymphae

Banned
Watching Coneheads on Amazon Prime right now. It's alright, I like old SNL movies.

I forgot how many stars are in this: Dan Akroyd, Jane Curtain, Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Michael McKean, Phil Hartman, Sinbad, Jason Alexander, Michael Richards, Ellen Degeneres, Dave Thomas, Drew Carey, Kevin Nealon, Tom Arnold, and apparently also William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy.

Breakage

179043-l.jpg

Recently saw this on TV. I wasn't expecting it to be so bad. It just all felt pointless. I felt as if I wasted my time watching it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
we watched Neil Breen's Twisted Pair yesterday. i barely remember a thing about it other than all of us laughing for a lot of the movie.

Breakage

Just like Drive, Neon Demon, and Too Old To Die Young.
I have only seen Drive, but OGF was pointless and cringey. Just violence for the sake of violence, characters that were more like cardboard cutouts. Gosling's vacant stare thing in this film was hilarious. Visually, it is slick but that's the only thing it has going for it.

Nymphae

Banned
I threw on Eurotrip on the weekend while grinding out some SFV. Totally forgot Matt Damon is in that rather prominently at the beginning as the band leader singing about nailing the protag's girlfriend.

Panda1

Banned
Watching Coneheads on Amazon Prime right now. It's alright, I like old SNL movies.

I forgot how many stars are in this: Dan Akroyd, Jane Curtain, Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Michael McKean, Phil Hartman, Sinbad, Jason Alexander, Michael Richards, Ellen Degeneres, Dave Thomas, Drew Carey, Kevin Nealon, Tom Arnold, and apparently also William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy.

CONEHEADS IS A STONE COLD CLASSIC

#Phonepunk#

Banned
damn yall have convinced me to watch Coneheads again lol. that cast list is insane. Phil Hartman! Sinbad! some Spin Tap! Kirk and Spock! wtfsrfwrgdf

it is funny i do remember being a little kid and being scared of the Coneheads cos they were on SNL in the 80s and it freaked me out haha.

Nymphae

Banned
CONEHEADS IS A STONE COLD CLASSIC

It really is pretty great actually.

it is funny i do remember being a little kid and being scared of the Coneheads cos they were on SNL in the 80s and it freaked me out haha.

They do make Akroyd look fairly creepy with the shark teeth, and when he's in the dentist chair and has 3 rows, that is fucked up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom