• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone still play Elder Scrolls Online?

Kagey K

Banned
So I just started playing this again today after hitting level 20 and not playing it since launch.

I had to restart, because I didn’t know where I was and all my skills had been reset.

Is it worth it to buy the DLCs now? I already own the game but in order for me to get all the DLC I have to buy the full edition, not the upgrade one.

Anyone have any tips for someone that hasn’t played since Day 1 Vanilla?

Starfield

Yes, I play here and there. Usually when a big update or dlc hits I buy a month of eso plus. CP 600+ currently

Everyone should try out the latest dlc if you're a fan of dragons. The story is actually better than elsweyrs too

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It's a very generic mmo, that wants to be skyrim but doesn't have near the same freedom in rpg creation of your toon.

AntsaK2

Neo Member
Mechanically this is absolutely my favorite MMO but the enemy level scaling is a real turn down. I just don't feel that I am progressing any way but some level bar on menus. When I come back to starting area the same rat that I encountered 50 levels ago feels just as "tough".

ESO didn't have this kind of scaling at launch but I didn't play it then. It just really bugs me as this would be greatest MMO in my taste. With this system it feels more like a job than an adventure.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I still play off and on, it's one the things I love about the game honestly (no monthly fee, no pressure).

In my experience, the story DLC has all been really top notch. The story and environments feel really fleshed out because nearly every line of dialog is voice acted (definitely an advantage over other MMOs like FFXIV).

The Full Elsweyr edition comes with the Morrowind and Summerset expansions which are all three massive in scope. Not sure what platform you're playing on, but it's currently $20 on Xbox for Black Friday and will likely hit that price on other systems as well within the next week.

Kagey K

Banned
I still play off and on, it's one the things I love about the game honestly (no monthly fee, no pressure).

In my experience, the story DLC has all been really top notch. The story and environments feel really fleshed out because nearly every line of dialog is voice acted (definitely an advantage over other MMOs like FFXIV).

The Full Elsweyr edition comes with the Morrowind and Summerset expansions which are all three massive in scope. Not sure what platform you're playing on, but it's currently $20 on Xbox for Black Friday and will likely hit that price on other systems as well within the next week.
Yeah I’m on Xbox and the BF sale is what originally inspired me to fire it back up again.

Is the Collectors Edition stuff worth it or just stick with the base game?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah I’m on Xbox and the BF sale is what originally inspired me to fire it back up again.

Is the Collectors Edition stuff worth it or just stick with the base game?
I've never bothered with the collectors edition stuff personally, the extra goodies are all basically cosmetic items (mount, pet, emote pack, outfit). It's only $7 more though, and the collectors edition of Elsweyr also includes the collectors edition goodies for Morrowind / Summerset so (3x mounts, 3x pets, 3x emotes, 3x outfits) if that's something you're into.

It's a shame they no longer sell the "Gold Pack" DLC in the storefront. The Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood DLCs are easily my favorite part of this game and (in my opinion) had better quest lines / stories than the Oblivion or Skyrim side quests they were trying to imitate. Those are definitely worth picking up in the in-game crown store.

Kagey K

Banned
I've never bothered with the collectors edition stuff personally, the extra goodies are all basically cosmetic items (mount, pet, emote pack, outfit). It's only $7 more though, and the collectors edition of Elsweyr also includes the collectors edition goodies for Morrowind / Summerset so (3x mounts, 3x pets, 3x emotes, 3x outfits) if that's something you're into.

It's a shame they no longer sell the "Gold Pack" DLC in the storefront. The Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood DLCs are easily my favorite part of this game and (in my opinion) had better quest lines / stories than the Oblivion or Skyrim side quests they were trying to imitate. Those are definitely worth picking up in the in-game crown store.
Damn that Guilds and Glory DLC is 4000 crowns. Does the DLC ever go on sale on the crown store?

dorkimoe

I boot it up and play by myself every once in awhile, but I am like level 12 or something lol. Dont fully understand some of my abilities and the game is overwhelming, but its fun to kill some time with

jshackles

Damn that Guilds and Glory DLC is 4000 crowns. Does the DLC ever go on sale on the crown store?
More often, the crowns themselves go on sale. Since the base game is on Game Pass, the crowns are usually 10% off if you're a member too.

crobb991

Banned
how does one work out what expansion pack to buy. i bought the gold edition with the elswer one..

do i need anymore

Bigrx1

Banned
Mechanically this is absolutely my favorite MMO but the enemy level scaling is a real turn down. I just don't feel that I am progressing any way but some level bar on menus. When I come back to starting area the same rat that I encountered 50 levels ago feels just as "tough".

ESO didn't have this kind of scaling at launch but I didn't play it then. It just really bugs me as this would be greatest MMO in my taste. With this system it feels more like a job than an adventure.

Thought I was the only one who hated this, they touted this as one of the greatest additions to the game there has been because it allowed people to group up anywhere but for me personally it killed all sense of progression. I ultimately quit playing because of this and the battle system needing you to do that stupid light attack weaving for every build you make.

I bought this at launch, people told me I could ignore the mmo aspect of it and play it like Skyrim. That was not really the case, and I bounced off it pretty fast.

how does one work out what expansion pack to buy. i bought the gold edition with the elswer one..

do i need anymore

That's really going to be up to you honestly. There is a lot of content just in the vanilla base game, and if you have Elsweyr, then that is also awesome. I actually sub to ESO Plus, and with that you get all the DLCs included, although the major expansions (like the upcoming Skyrim expansion Greymoor) still have to be purchased.

Honestly, just jump in and get going - don't worry about what you might be missing, as there is a TON of content already available to you, and you can add the others later. They have even included some of the past ones when buying a new chapter a few times, so if you wait you could actually come out ahead.

JSoup

Banned
Honestly, just jump in and get going - don't worry about what you might be missing, as there is a TON of content already available to you, and you can add the others later. They have even included some of the past ones when buying a new chapter a few times, so if you wait you could actually come out ahead.

This. Gold edition comes with access to Thief's Guild, Dark Brotherhood and either Morrowind or Orsinium (or both), depending on if you got it physically or digitally.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was just about to re-nstall it yesterday, but I saw the download size was 120 GB and noped out. Playing FFXIV right now anyways. I might check it out again once the upcoming Skyrim expansion is released.

JSoup

Banned
I was just about to re-nstall it yesterday, but I saw the download size was 120 GB and noped out.

It'll be more after it downloads, at least another two GB for patching, but you'll get a big chunk of that back after patching is complete.

I was just about to re-nstall it yesterday, but I saw the download size was 120 GB and noped out. Playing FFXIV right now anyways. I might check it out again once the upcoming Skyrim expansion is released.

It should get a bit smaller later this month. They are rolling out the first update (that requires a full re-download) at the end of this month. That should already have the improvements that reduce the size, so you don't have to necessarily wait until Greymoor comes out. Update 25 should save at least 15GB on PC and 30GB on console (not sure why the reduction is so much larger on console - I guess they don't clean up as often when patches are applied?).

Last edited:

Duellist

Just started playing again about 3 weeks ago. It's alright and a good time killer until something else comes along. Doesn't hold a candle to final fantasy xiv and the enemy level scaling is fucking stupid. Who ever thought that was a good idea should be shit canned imo.

JSoup

Banned
and the enemy level scaling is fucking stupid.

This. It makes much of the meatier parts of the game idiotically hard for no good reason. When even a top geared, min/maxed toon can get 86'd by starting area content even in a group, you know you've got a problem.

Simpkin92

Echoing the same as others here. I also quit because of the level scaling stealing any feeling of progression.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It's a very generic mmo, that wants to be skyrim but doesn't have near the same freedom in rpg creation of your toon.

I found it to be another Elder Scrolls game that happened to be online for trading and social, but the game does not require you to interact with any other players, which is unfortunate.

It's the one mmo I can play on autopilot with my brain almost turned off. So yeah I still have it installed. I've never skipped through mountains of dialogue and exposition so quickly in any other game before. skip skip skip skip

I've had this game installed for like 2 years and have played it only a little here n there. My only character so far is level 8 (lol). I have the Morrowind & Summerset expansions but am going to hold off on Elsweyr or Skyrim/Greymoor until I decide whether or not it'll be worth it for me to invest more time/money.

My primary complaint so far is the lack of item storage which is a major pain in the ass & seems like an obvious push to get people to sub to ESO+ (for unlimited storage). I'd prob play a lot more if not for this issue. I like to collect all sorts of stuff to craft & the default storage is pitifully limited. This basically means I'm always having to juggle/delete stuff which is a huge micromanagement PITA or just not collect stuff at all which, for me, is half the fun of an ES game.

Is there any reasonable way to increase storage without ESO+?

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

Enemy scaling is one of the worst game design elements. Scaling enemies need to have caps based on what they are and where you find them.

In an RPG, you're supposed to get stronger and stronger. If the enemies remain as strong as you are, even as you gain better and better skills, it means your character is progressively getting weaker, not stronger.

JSoup

Banned
The problem with characters getting stronger in this game is that it's not properly explained how to do that. Raw levels and allocated champion points are ok, but largely meaningless until you get in to around C700 at minimum. Where all your power comes from is having gear sets with the correct bonuses, affixes and enchantments, then having the correct abilities hotkeyed to take advantage of the gear stuff. Have fun figuring all that shit out.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I found it to be another Elder Scrolls game that happened to be online for trading and social, but the game does not require you to interact with any other players, which is unfortunate.

Wish it were. What could make this mmo special was if you could actually make a character like in the elder scrolls games, that wasn't a class but could level everything up anyway.

Top Bottom